Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Newcers 01:21 - Jul 2 with 1121 viewsjeera

Been meaning to ask you something.

I noticed a few weeks back some container ship shed around 80 (80!) containers in rough seas.

Now, what question should be asking here?

How the hell did that happen?

Or

How come that doesn't happen more often?

The way those things are piled up, how on earth are they kept shackled down?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Newcers on 01:28 - Jul 2 with 1099 viewsjeera

In your own time buddy...

Newcers on 01:30 - Jul 2 with 1097 viewsjeera

Newcers on 01:28 - Jul 2 by jeera

In your own time buddy...

Any moment now...

Newcers on 01:37 - Jul 2 with 1096 viewsNewcyBlue

My internet is geet slow.

Basically the lashing was inadequate. Either it hadn’t been checked and was missing, loose, or snapped due to various forces action on the stacks in a seaway.

More common than you think.

As always, prevention is better than cure. We check lashings daily during bad weather. We are very thorough in port and I have told ports that we will refuse to sail unless the lashing gangs lash the containers correctly. At the end of the day losing containers can affect stability and we could become unstable and sink as a worst case scenario.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Newcers on 01:41 - Jul 2 with 1084 viewsjeera

Newcers on 01:37 - Jul 2 by NewcyBlue

My internet is geet slow.

Basically the lashing was inadequate. Either it hadn’t been checked and was missing, loose, or snapped due to various forces action on the stacks in a seaway.

More common than you think.

As always, prevention is better than cure. We check lashings daily during bad weather. We are very thorough in port and I have told ports that we will refuse to sail unless the lashing gangs lash the containers correctly. At the end of the day losing containers can affect stability and we could become unstable and sink as a worst case scenario.

Yes of course.

The cargo is carefully balanced with everything taken into consideration isn't it?

Drop offs and consecutive drops offs and the effect each drop will have on the ship's load etc.

I have seen the software and understand the importance of the role of those responsible for the whole procedure.

More intricate than I once realised.

Newcers on 02:06 - Jul 2 with 1069 viewsNewcyBlue

Newcers on 01:41 - Jul 2 by jeera

Yes of course.

The cargo is carefully balanced with everything taken into consideration isn't it?

Drop offs and consecutive drops offs and the effect each drop will have on the ship's load etc.

I have seen the software and understand the importance of the role of those responsible for the whole procedure.

More intricate than I once realised.

Yeah we have so many rules and regulations for stowage.

Just a great big game of Tetris really. Much easier than working on a passenger ship, I don’t much like walking, talking cargo.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024