Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Electrician help.....please 10:34 - May 12 with 1076 viewsDuckegg

House mains have tripped at night a couple of times in last few weeks, switched back on but sockets and lights in one room don't work. I changed a wall light and put dimmer switch at begining of year.....have I f**ked something up? Any advice?

Guessing I need a professional to come and have a look 🤔
Electrician help.....please on 10:51 - May 12 with 1040 viewsCoastalblue

Sockets and lights should be on a different circuit so would be strange if both stopped working, and odd if you just have problems in one room as those things would normally be sharing a circuit with other rooms.

Is the room an extension by any chance?

Do sockets just not work or blow the trip when you plug something in?

Same for lights?

What sort of consumer unit/fuse board do you have? Is the main switch or RCD going off taking all circuits or just some individual ones?

Hung any pictures recently? Once spent two days trying to find a problem until I narrowed it down to a wall in the living room, the lady of the house then remembered hanging some new pictures the day before the problem started.

Any rodent problems? Or damp that you're aware of?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Electrician help.....please on 12:37 - May 12 with 971 viewsDuckegg

Electrician help.....please on 10:51 - May 12 by Coastalblue

Sockets and lights should be on a different circuit so would be strange if both stopped working, and odd if you just have problems in one room as those things would normally be sharing a circuit with other rooms.

Is the room an extension by any chance?

Do sockets just not work or blow the trip when you plug something in?

Same for lights?

What sort of consumer unit/fuse board do you have? Is the main switch or RCD going off taking all circuits or just some individual ones?

Hung any pictures recently? Once spent two days trying to find a problem until I narrowed it down to a wall in the living room, the lady of the house then remembered hanging some new pictures the day before the problem started.

Any rodent problems? Or damp that you're aware of?

Thanks for the reply, the room is an extension, I'm guessing that's key? The socket or lights don't work they don't trip out?

As for the board unfortunately I'm on holiday and mate looking after house so can't look.

No pictures have been hung up and no sign of rodents 😊. When I replaced wall light the earth wire was left unattached as the instructions said, should I have done something with this?

Time to call the professionals Im thinking, could something be dangerous?
Electrician help.....please on 21:59 - May 12 with 882 viewsCoastalblue

Electrician help.....please on 12:37 - May 12 by Duckegg

Thanks for the reply, the room is an extension, I'm guessing that's key? The socket or lights don't work they don't trip out?

As for the board unfortunately I'm on holiday and mate looking after house so can't look.

No pictures have been hung up and no sign of rodents 😊. When I replaced wall light the earth wire was left unattached as the instructions said, should I have done something with this?

Time to call the professionals Im thinking, could something be dangerous?

Something I do wonder, that earth wire left unattached, did you put a choc block or something on it or is it just bent out of the way and left free? That could be causing it.

I suspect it's something simple like that but my concern is that both lights and sockets are going out, however if it's an extension they may be fed off a small consumer unit sharing an RCD or something along those lines.

You probably will need someone but if you want to message me when you're back I expect I'm a long way from you but am happy to have a phone conversation with you if you want to try and rule out some obvious things? I don't work as a spark now but am qualified and did for several years.

I worry about you being fleeced by someone for a lot of chin scratching unless you can get someone you know or recommended.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Electrician help.....please on 06:39 - May 13 with 795 viewsDuckegg

Electrician help.....please on 21:59 - May 12 by Coastalblue

Something I do wonder, that earth wire left unattached, did you put a choc block or something on it or is it just bent out of the way and left free? That could be causing it.

I suspect it's something simple like that but my concern is that both lights and sockets are going out, however if it's an extension they may be fed off a small consumer unit sharing an RCD or something along those lines.

You probably will need someone but if you want to message me when you're back I expect I'm a long way from you but am happy to have a phone conversation with you if you want to try and rule out some obvious things? I don't work as a spark now but am qualified and did for several years.

I worry about you being fleeced by someone for a lot of chin scratching unless you can get someone you know or recommended.

Morning, cheers again for your reply.

I bent the wire back and left it free.....and then covered the wire with filler.

Thanks for the offer of talking through, I see whats what when I get back and will pm you. Cheers COYB 😁
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024