Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A good but grim piece about a nasty part of the shipping industry 11:59 - Sep 12 with 755 viewsSteve_M

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/12/ship-of-horrors-deep-sea-fishing-o

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

A good but grim piece about a nasty part of the shipping industry on 12:33 - Sep 12 with 683 viewsIllinoisblue

All that human misery and suffering for nothing more than fish fingers. Mad world.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

A good but grim piece about a nasty part of the shipping industry on 13:33 - Sep 12 with 626 viewsNewcyBlue

When you see the condition of some of these fishing boats you wonder how the hell they proceed to sea!

Then you see them in a force 6/7 and you wonder how they haven’t turned upside down and pretended to be submarines.

I certainly wouldn’t want to be on them.

I think I have posted a video on here before of me navigating through squid boats at night. It’s mesmerising at times.

Off the coast of Shanghai and Ningbo they have a fishing season, in full swing it’s absolutely terrifying when you’re navigating.

I’ve also seen Korean/Japanese/Chinese fishing boats in South Atlantic, off the coast of West Africa, all over the Pacific and Indian oceans.

The issues in the article are more watered down in the commercial cargo fleets. That’s why we have MLC2006. It’s a Seafarers bill of rights. As anything, some things are covered up, and some come to light.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

A good but grim piece about a nasty part of the shipping industry on 13:44 - Sep 12 with 595 viewsSteve_M

A good but grim piece about a nasty part of the shipping industry on 13:33 - Sep 12 by NewcyBlue

When you see the condition of some of these fishing boats you wonder how the hell they proceed to sea!

Then you see them in a force 6/7 and you wonder how they haven’t turned upside down and pretended to be submarines.

I certainly wouldn’t want to be on them.

I think I have posted a video on here before of me navigating through squid boats at night. It’s mesmerising at times.

Off the coast of Shanghai and Ningbo they have a fishing season, in full swing it’s absolutely terrifying when you’re navigating.

I’ve also seen Korean/Japanese/Chinese fishing boats in South Atlantic, off the coast of West Africa, all over the Pacific and Indian oceans.

The issues in the article are more watered down in the commercial cargo fleets. That’s why we have MLC2006. It’s a Seafarers bill of rights. As anything, some things are covered up, and some come to light.

Indeed, a 38 year old rustbucket with that many safety violations seems more likely to sink than not. I've seen the odd vetting report from some vessels in the Russian far-East, they look positively safe in comparison.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

A good but grim piece about a nasty part of the shipping industry on 18:31 - Sep 12 with 469 viewsNewcyBlue

A good but grim piece about a nasty part of the shipping industry on 13:44 - Sep 12 by Steve_M

Indeed, a 38 year old rustbucket with that many safety violations seems more likely to sink than not. I've seen the odd vetting report from some vessels in the Russian far-East, they look positively safe in comparison.

The oldest boat I have sailed on was when I was a cadet. It was an old Italian built ferry. To keep the ship upright whilst the cars were loaded and discharged I had to run around opening and closing ballast valves by hand.

We had a crack in our Fwd thruster tunnel, which was subsequently full of water.

I eventually went into dry dock in Birkenhead with her and had a hell of a lot of fun after spending 2 days digging out mud, clay, rotten fish, and shells from the sea chests.

A ship out of water is magnificent. Although as an officer now, it’s a fair bit of work.

I am taking my next boat into dry dock at the end of the year, it’s going in earlier than it should, I imagine it’s for scrubbers to be fitted for the IMO2020 SOx regulations.

I am currently on a course in Glasgow, the guy is setting up a Ship Brokering and Chartering course which he is trying to get accredited by ICS. He says it’s going to be an all singing and dancing course and will be a good thing for guys like me who want to come ashore.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024