Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Whilst talking about veg. 16:15 - Feb 24 with 1136 viewsPecker

Am I right in thinking (am I right ) that all veg grown in the ground should be started off in cold water (when boiling) and those grown above ground in hot water? That is what Nanny told me and I have always done it. 99.9% will agree, but just checking.
Whilst talking about veg. on 16:19 - Feb 24 with 1116 viewsjeera

The idea with something as dense as potatoes is that it enables even cooking.

But certainly not as a general rule, surely. Unless you like stodgy, overcooked carrots.

Although for most veg, like carrots, a short, sharp steam has to be best anyway.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Whilst talking about veg. on 16:20 - Feb 24 with 1110 viewsPecker

Whilst talking about veg. on 16:19 - Feb 24 by jeera

The idea with something as dense as potatoes is that it enables even cooking.

But certainly not as a general rule, surely. Unless you like stodgy, overcooked carrots.

Although for most veg, like carrots, a short, sharp steam has to be best anyway.

So are you saying Nanny was wrong?
Whilst talking about veg. on 16:24 - Feb 24 with 1094 viewsjeera

Whilst talking about veg. on 16:20 - Feb 24 by Pecker

So are you saying Nanny was wrong?

I'm sure she was right for her time.

Whilst talking about veg. on 16:26 - Feb 24 with 1090 viewsPecker

Whilst talking about veg. on 16:24 - Feb 24 by jeera

I'm sure she was right for her time.

That isn't at all patronising. Next time I lay some flowers on here, I shall be sure to tell her.
Whilst talking about veg. on 16:34 - Feb 24 with 1073 viewsjeera

Whilst talking about veg. on 16:26 - Feb 24 by Pecker

That isn't at all patronising. Next time I lay some flowers on here, I shall be sure to tell her.

My nan was the same.

Take an easily recognisable foodstuff and cook it and cook it until there's virtually nothing left of the characteristics of the item.

My mum isn't much better to be fair.

It's a generation thing isn't it. How many times have you heard them say they like their veg 'cooked properly'?

Mind you, there's still plenty of them wandering about littering the streets so I suppose their eating habits couldn't have been too damaging in all.

Whilst talking about veg. on 16:37 - Feb 24 with 1067 viewshamburger_sv

Whilst talking about veg. on 16:34 - Feb 24 by jeera

My nan was the same.

Take an easily recognisable foodstuff and cook it and cook it until there's virtually nothing left of the characteristics of the item.

It's a generation thing isn't it. How many times have you heard them say they like their veg 'cooked properly'?

Mind you, there's still plenty of them wandering about littering the streets so I suppose their eating habits couldn't have been too damaging in all.

Is this why the rest of the world complains about British cuisine?

Poll: Who would be the best owner for Ipswich Town?

Whilst talking about veg. on 16:39 - Feb 24 with 1060 viewsPecker

Whilst talking about veg. on 16:34 - Feb 24 by jeera

My nan was the same.

Just because you start something in cold water, doesn't mean you have to over cook it. Just increase the time you cook it for. In boiling water, potatoes( ) take about 20 minutes. In cold water about 25 minutes. It has more to do with ensuring they are cooked all the way through I think.
Whilst talking about veg. on 16:42 - Feb 24 with 1051 viewsjeera

Whilst talking about veg. on 16:39 - Feb 24 by Pecker

Just because you start something in cold water, doesn't mean you have to over cook it. Just increase the time you cook it for. In boiling water, potatoes( ) take about 20 minutes. In cold water about 25 minutes. It has more to do with ensuring they are cooked all the way through I think.

By the time the water has peaked temperature soft veg will be water logged and become overcooked and soggy.

Potatoes cook through better if their temperature rises along with the water.

It's not a trick. It's the recognised approach.

Login to get fewer ads

Whilst talking about veg. on 16:45 - Feb 24 with 1038 viewsPecker

Whilst talking about veg. on 16:42 - Feb 24 by jeera

By the time the water has peaked temperature soft veg will be water logged and become overcooked and soggy.

Potatoes cook through better if their temperature rises along with the water.

It's not a trick. It's the recognised approach.

All the things that grow underground are dense though, so same rule applies, surely. The things above ground in boiling hot water as I have stated.
Whilst talking about veg. on 16:46 - Feb 24 with 1033 viewsjeera

Whilst talking about veg. on 16:45 - Feb 24 by Pecker

All the things that grow underground are dense though, so same rule applies, surely. The things above ground in boiling hot water as I have stated.

I'm beginning to wonder if you were grown underground.

Whilst talking about veg. on 16:48 - Feb 24 with 1025 viewsPecker

Whilst talking about veg. on 16:46 - Feb 24 by jeera

I'm beginning to wonder if you were grown underground.

Tell me a vegetable that grow underground that takes the same time to cook as one grown above ground.
Whilst talking about veg. on 16:52 - Feb 24 with 1017 viewsjeera

Whilst talking about veg. on 16:48 - Feb 24 by Pecker

Tell me a vegetable that grow underground that takes the same time to cook as one grown above ground.

The answer to all of this is perfectly simple.

You are one of those types who likes his veg cooked 1950s style.

I am younger and more in tune with modern ways.

Whilst talking about veg. on 17:05 - Feb 24 with 973 viewsPecker

Whilst talking about veg. on 16:52 - Feb 24 by jeera

The answer to all of this is perfectly simple.

You are one of those types who likes his veg cooked 1950s style.

I am younger and more in tune with modern ways.

"one of those types"? My vegetables are cooked with a slight bite to them, not "boiled to death". Potatoes, Carrots, Turnips etc. take about 25 minutes to cook. Cauliflower, Broccoli, Peas etc. take 10 minutes to cook. The denser the veg, the longer it takes. As a side note, She wasn't my Nan, She was my Nanny. Mum and Dad worked away all week, so Nanny ( Helen) looked after us during the week. Only called her Helen after my 16th Birthday.
Whilst talking about veg. on 17:13 - Feb 24 with 967 viewsjeera

Whilst talking about veg. on 17:05 - Feb 24 by Pecker

"one of those types"? My vegetables are cooked with a slight bite to them, not "boiled to death". Potatoes, Carrots, Turnips etc. take about 25 minutes to cook. Cauliflower, Broccoli, Peas etc. take 10 minutes to cook. The denser the veg, the longer it takes. As a side note, She wasn't my Nan, She was my Nanny. Mum and Dad worked away all week, so Nanny ( Helen) looked after us during the week. Only called her Helen after my 16th Birthday.

If you think a carrot takes 25 minutes to cook under any circumstances, other than a roast, then you are one of those 'types'.

Conversation over.

Whilst talking about veg. on 17:26 - Feb 24 with 954 viewsPecker

Whilst talking about veg. on 17:13 - Feb 24 by jeera

If you think a carrot takes 25 minutes to cook under any circumstances, other than a roast, then you are one of those 'types'.

Conversation over.

It is started in cold water as it has been grown underground. If in hot water, no, but like I said at the beginning, veg underground in cold water. I think we are at cross purposes or you are reading it incorrectly. If I were cooking a carrot in hot water( which I wouldn't), I would give it the same time as peas and beans. My food is delicious and I am insulted beyond belief that you think otherwise. I once had an article published in the Horse and Hounds.
Whilst talking about veg. on 17:36 - Feb 24 with 944 viewsEireannach_gorm

Whilst talking about veg. on 17:26 - Feb 24 by Pecker

It is started in cold water as it has been grown underground. If in hot water, no, but like I said at the beginning, veg underground in cold water. I think we are at cross purposes or you are reading it incorrectly. If I were cooking a carrot in hot water( which I wouldn't), I would give it the same time as peas and beans. My food is delicious and I am insulted beyond belief that you think otherwise. I once had an article published in the Horse and Hounds.

Manure?
Whilst talking about veg. on 17:49 - Feb 24 with 938 viewsPecker

Best make that 95.9%.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024