Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jonathan Meades on Jargon- Sir Alf on 'henimals', also Ruud Gullit loves England 10:49 - Jun 7 with 632 viewsWeWereZombies

I sometimes wonder if I think about migrancy, culture and a sense of belonging too much but bear with me as I thread this long read from the BBC's football website section and a programme that only has a few days left on the iPlayer together. First, I find out that Gullit has a, perhaps, startling love for ancient British television comedy and some of it would no doubt be classed as not politically correct by some on this forum:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52904670

Then the acerbic but always thought provoking Meades uses Alf Ramsey as the ultimate justification for received pronunciation:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09xzsbp/jonathan-meades-on-jargon

(Sir Alf is at 39 minutes fifteen seconds, play half a minute earlier if you want an aside about Denis Law). Was it OK to call the Argentine team animals? We all know that Treacle could do the nasty and we seem to revel in it; but if an opposition manager decreed him as sub human we would decry that, surely?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Jonathan Meades on Jargon- Sir Alf on 'henimals', also Ruud Gullit loves England on 13:52 - Jun 7 with 531 viewsEwan_Oozami

You get an uppie for the genius that is Jonathan Meades....

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Jonathan Meades on Jargon- Sir Alf on 'henimals', also Ruud Gullit loves England on 13:59 - Jun 7 with 528 viewsWeWereZombies

Jonathan Meades on Jargon- Sir Alf on 'henimals', also Ruud Gullit loves England on 13:52 - Jun 7 by Ewan_Oozami

You get an uppie for the genius that is Jonathan Meades....

As I say, always an interesting critic but I wouldn't go as far as crediting him with genius, he puts the boot on 'rooted' culture a bit too readily for my liking. And in the jargon programme his chauvinistic (in the class based rather than the gender based use of the word) attitude towards Benny from Crossroads is distasteful...until you realise that Meades is making the mistake of talking about a fictional character as if he were a real character.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Jonathan Meades on Jargon- Sir Alf on 'henimals', also Ruud Gullit loves England on 15:28 - Jun 7 with 490 viewsEwan_Oozami

Jonathan Meades on Jargon- Sir Alf on 'henimals', also Ruud Gullit loves England on 13:59 - Jun 7 by WeWereZombies

As I say, always an interesting critic but I wouldn't go as far as crediting him with genius, he puts the boot on 'rooted' culture a bit too readily for my liking. And in the jargon programme his chauvinistic (in the class based rather than the gender based use of the word) attitude towards Benny from Crossroads is distasteful...until you realise that Meades is making the mistake of talking about a fictional character as if he were a real character.

The levels of irony in Meades' output are so tortuous that I don't have a clue if he's being serious or not, which I think is the point - and as for fictional characters, I love this from his Wiki entry:

"On leaving RADA, he was told by the Principal, Hugh Cruttwell, that he might as well abandon acting until he reached middle age, at which point he might become an interesting character actor. When the two met again decades later, after Meades had established himself on television, Cruttwell joked that he hadn't realised that the character would be called "Jonathan Meades"

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024