Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Interview with Charlie Woods 18:03 - Jul 16 with 1171 viewsPhilTWTD

https://www.compare.bet/news/former-premier-league-scout-charlie-woods-on-modern
Interview with Charlie Woods on 19:27 - Jul 16 with 989 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Fortunate to have watched a few games with Charlie. When you think you know something about football, he’ll say something (which stepping back is fairly simple) that just all makes sense.

Lovely guy and always remembered me by name from the first time I met him, which just shows the class of the bloke. In actual fact, one of the few remaining bits of class at the club under ME until he stopped coming a few years back.
Interview with Charlie Woods on 20:05 - Jul 16 with 894 viewsDanTheMan

This really reinforces my view about a few of the "old guard" in football scouting. When I did work in football there were quite a few scouts, head scouts, etc. who hated anything statistical or anything to do with technology, not only wanting to rely on old school methods but being outwardly hostile to anything new.

Then you had the newer generation who were all about trying to use things like Scout7 (now part of Opta), WyScout and InStat (who were a bit dodgy). A few saw the value in stuff like the Football Manager database.

Can't say I overly blame the older generation, you can lean too much to one side, but technology and statistics do have their place.

Really wish I could have worked in the field longer but it wasn't to be.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Interview with Charlie Woods on 21:01 - Jul 16 with 762 viewsArthur_Hayes

Charlie Woods gave me and my old man a tour of the ground, boot room, training facilities etc prior to our 4-1 win against Sunderland - 23/4/83. Probably still my best birthday present ever! Lovely bloke.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024