Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
History doesn’t repeat itself but it rhymes 12:50 - Jul 17 with 678 viewsDarth_Koont

Great as ever from David Osland.

https://labourhub.org.uk/2021/07/12/how-to-ditch-a-deadbeat-leader-of-the-opposi

Pronouns: He/Him

History doesn’t repeat itself but it rhymes on 11:23 - Jul 18 with 522 viewsWeWereZombies

OK, it's taken me awhile to think this one over but it really is a wishy-washy article in my humble opinion. Most of it could be adapted to fit the majority of politicians operating in the United Kingdom over the last forty years. Labour's problem is more that it does not know how to frame the problems facing a leader of the party rather than how to critique the leader. Just because Starmer hasn't made an instant impact with the voting public at large does not mean that he is not the right person for the job.

My perspective on this is that politics will increasingly be driven by events rather than ideology, the current pandemic being an example of this and the increasing pressures of climate change being the future example. The ongoing increase in World population, with a resulting lowering in the average age of people making decisions but an accompanying likelihood of more elderly, is going to cause new scrambles for resources and increased competition. How this will affect the United Kingdom (which will probably be going in the opposite direction with a combination of ageing voters but lowering life expectancy...for a while) I do not know but it will require politicians who have a meticulous approach that arrives at correct decisions at the right time.

So, looking back at the Saville prosecution, Starmer is someone with a meticulous approach and correct decisions but for the victims the judgement should have come decades earlier. Not really Starmer's fault though as many people in positions of responsibility, including a sitting Prime Minister, should have performed better due diligence to unmask the perpetrator. So, by analogy, if Labour fail to win the next election (and events may bring that election about quicker than expected) I do not think it will be down to Starmer in the way that Conservative failures could be laid at the feet of Duncan-Smith...or Hague...or Howard. Cults of personality will be responsible and so will we if we subscribe to them.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

History doesn’t repeat itself but it rhymes on 14:16 - Jul 18 with 459 viewsDarth_Koont

History doesn’t repeat itself but it rhymes on 11:23 - Jul 18 by WeWereZombies

OK, it's taken me awhile to think this one over but it really is a wishy-washy article in my humble opinion. Most of it could be adapted to fit the majority of politicians operating in the United Kingdom over the last forty years. Labour's problem is more that it does not know how to frame the problems facing a leader of the party rather than how to critique the leader. Just because Starmer hasn't made an instant impact with the voting public at large does not mean that he is not the right person for the job.

My perspective on this is that politics will increasingly be driven by events rather than ideology, the current pandemic being an example of this and the increasing pressures of climate change being the future example. The ongoing increase in World population, with a resulting lowering in the average age of people making decisions but an accompanying likelihood of more elderly, is going to cause new scrambles for resources and increased competition. How this will affect the United Kingdom (which will probably be going in the opposite direction with a combination of ageing voters but lowering life expectancy...for a while) I do not know but it will require politicians who have a meticulous approach that arrives at correct decisions at the right time.

So, looking back at the Saville prosecution, Starmer is someone with a meticulous approach and correct decisions but for the victims the judgement should have come decades earlier. Not really Starmer's fault though as many people in positions of responsibility, including a sitting Prime Minister, should have performed better due diligence to unmask the perpetrator. So, by analogy, if Labour fail to win the next election (and events may bring that election about quicker than expected) I do not think it will be down to Starmer in the way that Conservative failures could be laid at the feet of Duncan-Smith...or Hague...or Howard. Cults of personality will be responsible and so will we if we subscribe to them.

I wouldn’t disagree that it’s ”politicky” and within the bubble. But that’s the context politicians and journalists themselves live in almost exclusively nowadays.

And you’ll have no argument from me about events pushing the real political agenda and issues. Although I’d say both Tories and Labour are currently a decade or two behind on that, dealing with the symptoms and effects of long-standing problems rather than the underlying reality.

Brexit is probably the prime example of that, but the continued othering and blaming of the young, minorities and the left for the oversights and negligence of decades of uninterrupted centre-right and right-wing government shows that they’ve learnt nothing except how to look after themselves and their own interests.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024