Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Football managers and their intransient arrogance. 10:15 - Aug 18 with 235 viewsOriginalMarkyP

This is going to be what sits at the heart of whether we can succeed or not.

Single-minded stubborn arrogance, can be a really strong trait. Ferguson had it, at his most successful Wenger had it, as did Mourinho.

But as Ipswich fans we've seen it contribute to the downfall of several teams and managers. Mick suffered from it at the end, where it had probably been a strength for him for most of his tenure as manager. Hurst had it in spades and not in a good way. As did Lambert.

Now we have Paul Cook. He might just back himself when everyone else is questioning him and make a go of it. We hope so.

But...I worry.

I worry, that everytime I've seen him asked about Richardson he bites a little. His ego seems to answer the question. He's had coaches go on to big things who had no rep before working with him. (reminds me a little of Lambert's 'Big Clubs' stock knee-jerk answer). He feels he doesn't need a number two.

And I worry because I think the Richardson questions get to him. His ego hears, 'You can't do it without Richardson' and (understandably) it doesn't like it. And then the intransient arrogance starts to dig its pointy little heels in. 'Yes I can.' 'I don't need a number 2'...and so it begins.

I think PC needs an experienced number 2 to take on some of the more technical tactical duties. I don't think he has one in his current backroom staff.

I also think 'doing it alone' is quickly becoming a point he feels he needs to prove. Which actually scares me. Because it starts to look like that intransiently arrogant Achilles heel that has tripped up so many of our managers in the past.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2021 10:17]

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024