Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some of you are delusional 07:40 - Dec 5 with 635 viewsCopfordBlue

Sadly we’re a mid-table third division club.

In the last 25 years we’ve spent more seasons in League One than we have in the Premier League. We’ve been on a steady decline for at least 15 years. We’ve not won anything for 40 years. We’ve not even had a day out at Wembley for more than 20 years. Our ground (whilst better since the new owners came in) needs huge investment to make it fit for the next 50 years. We’re in a location in the country that whilst lovely means that you need to relocate if you’re joining the club.

I love our club and always will so am not running us down but the names some of you have suggested as manager are ridiculous. I’ve seen Nuno’s name suggested and Frank Lampard. Why would they even consider speaking to the club? Ryan Lowe and Liam Manning are managing relatively big league one clubs and have a chance of being in the championship next season. They’re not realistic options for us right now.

Cook did a very poor job in my opinion, so bad he made the inept Lambert look reasonable when you look back. We should be able to attract a competent manager who given time can take us to where we could realistically get to (an established, mid-table championship club within the next 3-4 years is my view as to what we can realistically aspire to). Not very exciting I know and I’d love us to win back to back promotions but it’s very, very unlikely. What I do know is that whoever is appointed, even if it is an unglamorous/low profile appointment they need and deserve patience and the backing of all fans.

Poll: Most enjoyable calendar year as an Ipswich supporter

Some of you are delusional on 07:51 - Dec 5 with 554 viewsfab_lover

Good points, but after all, supporting a team is based on delusion. At the start of every season, there are lofty ambitions, promises made by players, managers, owners about great things to come...and then there is reality, and for 99% of teams the reality does not match the pre-season hype.

A change of manager or owner is one of those (relatively) rare occasions which represent a "Chance" space in Monopoly...you don't know what you're going to get until the card is revealed. So of course, people will be hoping for something spectacular and impactful.

All I can say is "Roy Keane".

I'd rather have someone relatively unknown, relatively unglamorous, who feels they have something to prove, rather than someone coasting off old glories.
Some of you are delusional on 08:02 - Dec 5 with 514 viewsCopfordBlue

Some of you are delusional on 07:51 - Dec 5 by fab_lover

Good points, but after all, supporting a team is based on delusion. At the start of every season, there are lofty ambitions, promises made by players, managers, owners about great things to come...and then there is reality, and for 99% of teams the reality does not match the pre-season hype.

A change of manager or owner is one of those (relatively) rare occasions which represent a "Chance" space in Monopoly...you don't know what you're going to get until the card is revealed. So of course, people will be hoping for something spectacular and impactful.

All I can say is "Roy Keane".

I'd rather have someone relatively unknown, relatively unglamorous, who feels they have something to prove, rather than someone coasting off old glories.

You’re right. Appointing a new manager is an interesting and exciting time. The issue with us is we’ve been so starved of success for so long that whoever comes in is expected to get immediate results. The wholesale changes made by Hurst and Cook in an attempt to bring about rapid change have set us back. “Less haste, more speed” is the approach needed by whoever comes in. No need for big changes in January, just use what we have and review it in the summer.

Poll: Most enjoyable calendar year as an Ipswich supporter

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024