Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? 11:54 - Oct 6 with 48913 viewsPaul_B

Hey folks,

I'm looking to compile a list of every single Town match ever to be shown live on telly. This information doesn't appear to be readily available anywhere on the web so I'm attempting to create it myself with your assistance.

All findings will be edited into this post to form a definitive list.

Thanks for your help.

This should be quite nostalgic if nothing else.

Here we go:

VIEW THE COMPLETE LIST HERE:
==========================
http://ipswich.myclubontv.co.uk
==========================
[Post edited 16 Oct 2016 11:35]
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:41 - Oct 14 with 4508 viewsPaul_B

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 10:35 - Oct 14 by chevblue

1987/88
=======
Man Utd (H) L 1-2 - FA Cup: 3rd Round [BBC ONE] (KO: 3:05 PM)
2001/02
=======
Helsingborgs (H) D 0-0 - UEFA Europa League: 2nd Round, 1st Leg [BBC ONE] (KO: 8:05 PM)
Inter Milan (H) W 1-0 - UEFA Europa League: 3rd Round, 1st Leg [BBC TWO] (KO: 7:45 PM)
Man City (H) L 1-4 - FA Cup: 4th Round [BBC ONE] (KO: 7:00 PM)

Info from the BBC Genome project…

http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/search/0/20?adv=1&q=ipswich+town&media=tv&yf=1923&yt=
[Post edited 14 Oct 2015 10:36]

Thanks very much, chevblue. What a great tool that is. I wasn't aware of it until now.

To make things easier, I have uploaded the entire list here - http://bit.ly/1RaPZJ0

The bits in red/pink are the ones I'm either not sure about or don't know the exact TV channel.

For example, I think more than a couple of you have said that the 1st leg of the FA Cup tie v Liverpool in 1992 wasn't live on TV but I've heard things elsewhere to suggest that it was. Was it definitely not on the box?

Cheers guys.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 18:06 - Oct 14 with 4471 viewsKilburnBlue

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:41 - Oct 14 by Paul_B

Thanks very much, chevblue. What a great tool that is. I wasn't aware of it until now.

To make things easier, I have uploaded the entire list here - http://bit.ly/1RaPZJ0

The bits in red/pink are the ones I'm either not sure about or don't know the exact TV channel.

For example, I think more than a couple of you have said that the 1st leg of the FA Cup tie v Liverpool in 1992 wasn't live on TV but I've heard things elsewhere to suggest that it was. Was it definitely not on the box?

Cheers guys.

Defo was on live the Home game against Liverpool.

Watched in Blackpool in a BB (on a stag do) as it was the only place I could get to see it.

So for me it must have been on Sky as I could have watched in anywhere if it was on BBC.

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 18:55 - Oct 14 with 4457 viewsPaul_B

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 18:06 - Oct 14 by KilburnBlue

Defo was on live the Home game against Liverpool.

Watched in Blackpool in a BB (on a stag do) as it was the only place I could get to see it.

So for me it must have been on Sky as I could have watched in anywhere if it was on BBC.

Thanks. I think I was talking rubbish anyway as having had a look back through the thread, a couple people seemed to say it definitely was as opposed to it wasn't.

So, the only question is whether it was on Sky or BBC. I can't seem to find out. My guess would be Sky as well. The 2nd leg was shown on there. There was only one Sky channel back then of course so confirmation that it was broadcast by them would be enough for me.

EDIT: Managed to find out it was indeed on Sky. Just leaves another 39 games to find out the channels for! It's the one's marked in pink that you can help me out with folks - http://bit.ly/1RaPZJ0
[Post edited 14 Oct 2015 19:30]
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 20:14 - Oct 14 with 4426 viewshoppy

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 18:55 - Oct 14 by Paul_B

Thanks. I think I was talking rubbish anyway as having had a look back through the thread, a couple people seemed to say it definitely was as opposed to it wasn't.

So, the only question is whether it was on Sky or BBC. I can't seem to find out. My guess would be Sky as well. The 2nd leg was shown on there. There was only one Sky channel back then of course so confirmation that it was broadcast by them would be enough for me.

EDIT: Managed to find out it was indeed on Sky. Just leaves another 39 games to find out the channels for! It's the one's marked in pink that you can help me out with folks - http://bit.ly/1RaPZJ0
[Post edited 14 Oct 2015 19:30]

The Ipswich v Wolves 2nd March 94 FA Cup replay was on BBC I think...

Also, I haven't trawled through here completely, but there might be some helpful bits in this thread elsewhere that somebody has compiled... don't know if any may help with the missing ones you need details for, but might be worth a look...

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=982882
[Post edited 14 Oct 2015 20:32]

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 21:39 - Oct 14 with 4392 viewsPaul_B

Yes, I had already come across that video. That's undoubtedly the BBC but seemingly taken from a highlights programme. Whether they themselves actually showed the game live or not I don't know.

As for the forum link - thanks, but yes - I've seen and made use of that too. It's where I got the answer from the Liverpool FA Cup 1st leg query I had earlier funnily enough.

I've included all of the games mentioned within that thread, but they generally don't divulge which channels they were broadcast on, which is pretty much all I'm looking for now.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 21:44 - Oct 14 with 4377 viewshoppy

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 21:39 - Oct 14 by Paul_B

Yes, I had already come across that video. That's undoubtedly the BBC but seemingly taken from a highlights programme. Whether they themselves actually showed the game live or not I don't know.

As for the forum link - thanks, but yes - I've seen and made use of that too. It's where I got the answer from the Liverpool FA Cup 1st leg query I had earlier funnily enough.

I've included all of the games mentioned within that thread, but they generally don't divulge which channels they were broadcast on, which is pretty much all I'm looking for now.

Well, BBC certainly had the contract for the free to air matches for that season with Sky having the paid to view games in the FA Cup... and I'm not sure whether they would've had a highlights programme specifically that evening on the BBC as there was only ours and Charlton v Bristol City being played in the FA Cup that night, and one Premier League game - Spurs v Aston Villa, which would suggest for the BBC to have highlights to this extent, that it may well have been live on there?

EDIT... apologies.. looks like there was... Sports night was on BBC1 at 10.20 - 11.50pm.

http://tvrdb.com/listings/?y=1994&m=03&d=02
[Post edited 14 Oct 2015 21:49]

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 21:48 - Oct 14 with 4368 viewsPaul_B

I thought I had seen something earlier today to suggest that it was highlights only...

I'll ask that YouTuber if he knows any more info.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2015 21:53]
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 21:54 - Oct 14 with 4346 viewshoppy

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 21:48 - Oct 14 by Paul_B

I thought I had seen something earlier today to suggest that it was highlights only...

I'll ask that YouTuber if he knows any more info.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2015 21:53]

Did you see my edit above? Found a TV listings for BBC that night, and there was only Sportsnight late at night, no live games on either BBC1 or BBC2.

Login to get fewer ads

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 22:18 - Oct 14 with 4326 viewsPaul_B

Must have been Sky then. And given the fact that Sky Sports 2 wasn't launched until August of that year, it would have been plain ol' Sky Sports.

Thanks!
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 22:29 - Oct 14 with 4315 viewshoppy

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 22:18 - Oct 14 by Paul_B

Must have been Sky then. And given the fact that Sky Sports 2 wasn't launched until August of that year, it would have been plain ol' Sky Sports.

Thanks!

And that tv listings link may help you if you've got any others you want to check if they were on bbc at all on other dates. I haven't gone through your pink highlighted ones to see if there were any others you weren't sure about.

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 01:06 - Oct 15 with 4278 viewsCapelBlue

Another one might have been on TV - Sunderland at home in 98 - Tuesday night right at the end of the season and we beat them which meant they were in the play offs rather than went straight up.

This might open a can of worms - outside the UK we get loads of town games live the aren't on UK TV like Brighton at home this season!
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 11:49 - Oct 15 with 4219 viewsPaul_B

@hoppy Yes, I thought the FA Cup game v Southampton in 1999 was on the BBC but it's not featured on that night's listings - so again, must've been a Sky game?

@CapelBlue You're quite right. Nice one. I can't believe it hadn't already made its way onto the list. I remember it. Here's a video clip - http://www.itnsource.com/en/shotlist/ITN/1998/04/28/BSP280498039/?s=ipswich%20su
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 11:52 - Oct 15 with 4211 viewsblue_oyster

So was the FA Cup final definitely our first live game?

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:04 - Oct 15 with 4200 viewsPhilTWTD

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 11:49 - Oct 15 by Paul_B

@hoppy Yes, I thought the FA Cup game v Southampton in 1999 was on the BBC but it's not featured on that night's listings - so again, must've been a Sky game?

@CapelBlue You're quite right. Nice one. I can't believe it hadn't already made its way onto the list. I remember it. Here's a video clip - http://www.itnsource.com/en/shotlist/ITN/1998/04/28/BSP280498039/?s=ipswich%20su

Think it's right that the Southampton game being on Sky. Also reminded me that both legs of the FA Youth Cup final against Southampton were live on Sky, not sure they've been mentioned yet.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:12 - Oct 15 with 4189 viewsPhilTWTD

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:04 - Oct 15 by PhilTWTD

Think it's right that the Southampton game being on Sky. Also reminded me that both legs of the FA Youth Cup final against Southampton were live on Sky, not sure they've been mentioned yet.

BTW, seen this re ITV live games? Apologies if posted elsewhere but long thread!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/carousel/ITV/ITVregional90s.html
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:40 - Oct 15 with 4166 viewsPaul_B

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:12 - Oct 15 by PhilTWTD

BTW, seen this re ITV live games? Apologies if posted elsewhere but long thread!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/carousel/ITV/ITVregional90s.html

It hadn't even occurred to me to think of non-first team matches but yes, you're right they were on Sky.

Yes, I've seen that site and has proved a great source of info even if it does hurt my eyes!

It helped me remember the ITFC games shown on Anglia in the 95/96 season.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:57 - Oct 15 with 4150 viewsPhilTWTD

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 12:40 - Oct 15 by Paul_B

It hadn't even occurred to me to think of non-first team matches but yes, you're right they were on Sky.

Yes, I've seen that site and has proved a great source of info even if it does hurt my eyes!

It helped me remember the ITFC games shown on Anglia in the 95/96 season.

I suspect they are probably the only ones, can't think of any others which would have been, which is probably a good thing from a list compiling angle!

Agree, not a design classic.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 18:49 - Oct 15 with 4081 viewsPaul_B

Found a couple of full-length matches on YouTube:

1999 - Swindon (A) W 4-1 -

2001 - Aston Villa (A) L 2-1 -

Curiously, when you do a video search on Google a lot of TWTD articles are returned in the search results.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 19:33 - Oct 15 with 4055 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 14:41 - Oct 14 by Paul_B

Cheers guys.

Ipswich v Liverpool FA Cup tie at Portman Road was definitely on Sky. Sunday lunchtime kick-off.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 19:34 - Oct 15 with 4053 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 20:14 - Oct 14 by hoppy

The Ipswich v Wolves 2nd March 94 FA Cup replay was on BBC I think...

Also, I haven't trawled through here completely, but there might be some helpful bits in this thread elsewhere that somebody has compiled... don't know if any may help with the missing ones you need details for, but might be worth a look...

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=982882
[Post edited 14 Oct 2015 20:32]

Wolves v Ipswich was not on TV. The highlights were shown on BBC later that night.

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 20:04 - Oct 15 with 4035 viewsPaul_B

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 19:34 - Oct 15 by The_Last_Baron

Wolves v Ipswich was not on TV. The highlights were shown on BBC later that night.

Are you talking about the original match at Molineux or this one (the replay)?
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 21:27 - Oct 15 with 4013 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 20:04 - Oct 15 by Paul_B

Are you talking about the original match at Molineux or this one (the replay)?

replay was on, original wasn't.
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 21:30 - Oct 15 with 4001 viewsPaul_B

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 21:27 - Oct 15 by PrideOfTheEast

replay was on, original wasn't.

Yep, just had a Wolves fan confirm that the replay was 100% on Sky. I'l update the list...
Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 23:11 - Oct 15 with 3964 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 21:30 - Oct 15 by Paul_B

Yep, just had a Wolves fan confirm that the replay was 100% on Sky. I'l update the list...

The replay between Town and Wolves was definitely NOT on TV. Highlights only later that night.

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 23:59 - Oct 15 with 3943 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Complete history of Town matches live on TV? on 01:06 - Oct 15 by CapelBlue

Another one might have been on TV - Sunderland at home in 98 - Tuesday night right at the end of the season and we beat them which meant they were in the play offs rather than went straight up.

This might open a can of worms - outside the UK we get loads of town games live the aren't on UK TV like Brighton at home this season!

Only fairly recent though, since BeIN apart from the odd Scandinavian channel picking us up. Almost half our games were live last year out here.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024