Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are there any circumstances where a loan move for a striker would be acceptable? 14:34 - Jan 11 with 1896 viewsSteve_M

One with an agreement for a permanent deal in the Summer as with McGoldrick perhaps but otherwise I can't really see it. The sunk cost of playing someone else's player for three months is quite a waste.

Agyei just doesn't seem very likely, except a 'Will this do?' effort if we can't sign anyone else.

I don't have any real problems about not getting into a bidding war for Ward but this starts to look like ME keeping funds tight in case McCarthy isn't here soon. In doing so it becomes self-fulfilling doesn't it?

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Are there any circumstances where a loan move for a striker would be acceptable? on 14:36 - Jan 11 with 1874 viewsKeno

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Are there any circumstances where a loan move for a striker would be acceptable? on 14:41 - Jan 11 with 1854 viewsGuthrum

Yes.

Rather than buying someone fairly average for £2m, we could spend the same on signing-on fees and wages to get us a player who could help restore some forward momentum to the club, stop all this self-absorbed wallowing in our own misery.

Plus leaves the decks clear if a new manager comes in during the summer to acquire his own men and starts him on a better footing in terms of the general morale.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2017 14:44]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Are there any circumstances where a loan move for a striker would be acceptable? on 14:42 - Jan 11 with 1849 viewsLankHenners

Agreed, was thinking of the McGoldrick transfer earlier myself.

Considering this season's dead in the water, paying someone to come in and potentially help us finish towards the top of mid-table instead of towards the bottom of it isn't worth.

Not splashing the cash in January is a sensible move, because Mick is right when he says it's a difficult time to get players at a good price, but the problem is Evans and Mick set themselves up for a fall when they let Murphy go without bringing in a replacement. The expectation was then to fight on and replace him properly in January, which hasn't happened yet.

If nothing is spent at all, it does kinda hint that what people are crying out for may well happen at the end of the season.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Are there any circumstances where a loan move for a striker would be acceptable? on 14:48 - Jan 11 with 1809 viewsJ2BLUE

I don't go and watch so perhaps this is unfair but I would accept a loan striker and loan CM like Tunnicliffe with no deals in place. We just need to get to the end of the season as a Championship club (I don't think we will go down but just in case) and then hopefully everyone sees sense and MM leaves on good terms with our thanks.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Are there any circumstances where a loan move for a striker would be acceptable? on 14:55 - Jan 11 with 1771 viewsRadlett_blue

Not all loans are bad. While not strikers, does anyone think getting Tom Lawrence or Ryan Fraser in on loan was a bad idea. Our problem is that we need a decent central striker. January is a notoriously bad time to find bargains as hardly anyone is a seller. So as we can't find a permanent signing within our budget, expect a loan. Hopefully, one better than Best.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Are there any circumstances where a loan move for a striker would be acceptable? on 14:56 - Jan 11 with 1773 viewsitfcjoe

If Murphy isn't replaced permanently this month then it is utterly pathetic management of the club/squad by ME and MMc.

The fact he wasn't in August is bad enough, but to not do it now is beyond a joke

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Are there any circumstances where a loan move for a striker would be acceptable? on 15:01 - Jan 11 with 1741 viewsRadlett_blue

Are there any circumstances where a loan move for a striker would be acceptable? on 14:56 - Jan 11 by itfcjoe

If Murphy isn't replaced permanently this month then it is utterly pathetic management of the club/squad by ME and MMc.

The fact he wasn't in August is bad enough, but to not do it now is beyond a joke

The trouble with the sale was that, for whatever reason, the deal was done late, so there was little time to get in a replacement. In the past, Town have rejected late bids for Murphy (again) & McGoldrick, apparently on the grounds that we wouldn't have time to find a replacement. With the benefit of hindsight, selling Murphy to Boro for £8m the year before & getting someone like Chris Wood in as a replacement would have been good business.

Are there any circumstances where a loan move for a striker would be acceptable? on 15:02 - Jan 11 with 1731 viewsSWGF

Are there any circumstances where a loan move for a striker would be acceptable? on 14:56 - Jan 11 by itfcjoe

I don't see how he can be permanently replaced given the cash that we'd have to spend on (potentially) a player that any new manager wouldn't fancy.

Unless it's universally-agreed within football that it's a no-brainer, however I don't think we're shopping in that market.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Login to get fewer ads

Are there any circumstances where a loan move for a striker would be acceptable? on 15:06 - Jan 11 with 1697 viewsSWGF

Are there any circumstances where a loan move for a striker would be acceptable? on 15:02 - Jan 11 by SWGF

I don't see how he can be permanently replaced given the cash that we'd have to spend on (potentially) a player that any new manager wouldn't fancy.

Unless it's universally-agreed within football that it's a no-brainer, however I don't think we're shopping in that market.

Replying to myself here...

However if we DON'T have anyone lined up, why let Varney go?

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?

Are there any circumstances where a loan move for a striker would be acceptable? on 15:08 - Jan 11 with 1683 viewsKieran_Knows

Are there any circumstances where a loan move for a striker would be acceptable? on 15:06 - Jan 11 by SWGF

Because I don't reckon Town would have offered him anything more than 6 months, whereas he had a 18 month contract offer from Burton....

I get what you're saying though, even more so given that Best looks completely out the picture as well. Which leaves us with only Pitman and Sears fit at the moment.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2017 15:08]

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Are there any circumstances where a loan move for a striker would be acceptable? on 15:30 - Jan 11 with 1631 viewsRadlett_blue

Are there any circumstances where a loan move for a striker would be acceptable? on 15:06 - Jan 11 by SWGF

Because we have Leon Best, contracted until the end of the season, to run around ineffectively?
I'm sure we'll get someone in of at least Varney's standard, even if it's Rory Fallon.

Are there any circumstances where a loan move for a striker would be acceptable? on 15:31 - Jan 11 with 1632 viewsitfcjoe

Are there any circumstances where a loan move for a striker would be acceptable? on 15:02 - Jan 11 by SWGF

Evans surely can trust Mick to bring in a player for the club, not just necessarily for him, like he has Webster and Ward.

Mick isn't the sort of manager to spunk 7 figures on a Paul Taylor to save his job - he'd be more pragmatic than that

Are there any circumstances where a loan move for a striker would be acceptable? on 15:35 - Jan 11 with 1596 viewstheblueginger

Only if they are certain to improve the squad, and be a starter. I doubt this Burnley guy will do that, and will more likely be sat on the bench instead of Morris.
Are there any circumstances where a loan move for a striker would be acceptable? on 15:37 - Jan 11 with 1590 viewsSWGF

Are there any circumstances where a loan move for a striker would be acceptable? on 15:31 - Jan 11 by itfcjoe

Evans surely can trust Mick to bring in a player for the club, not just necessarily for him, like he has Webster and Ward.

Mick isn't the sort of manager to spunk 7 figures on a Paul Taylor to save his job - he'd be more pragmatic than that

But Mick may go for a more limited but muscular striker whereas any replacement may want to play in a different way and therefore want a slightly different type of player.

Are there any circumstances where a loan move for a striker would be acceptable? on 15:38 - Jan 11 with 1592 viewsPhilTWTD

Are there any circumstances where a loan move for a striker would be acceptable? on 15:31 - Jan 11 by itfcjoe

It is interesting to look back and remember that Taylor was seen as a bit of a bargain at that price, Posh needed to sell by the end of the window to make sure they got a decent fee. They had hoped to sell him to a Premier League club.

I agree, Mick will ideally be looking for someone in the position of Murph when he signed him, a talented player undervalued at his current club or maybe - a riskier scenario - a frontman at the point Webster or Ward were when they were signed in the summer.
Are there any circumstances where a loan move for a striker would be acceptable? on 16:01 - Jan 11 with 1539 viewsitfcjoe

Are there any circumstances where a loan move for a striker would be acceptable? on 15:37 - Jan 11 by SWGF

But Mick may go for a more limited but muscular striker whereas any replacement may want to play in a different way and therefore want a slightly different type of player.

Regardless of who comes in, a quality striker with the ability to lead the line is going to be required. Even the best footballing sides have this player.

Are there any circumstances where a loan move for a striker would be acceptable? on 16:09 - Jan 11 with 1493 viewschicoazul

What if it was Luis Suarez.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Are there any circumstances where a loan move for a striker would be acceptable? on 16:09 - Jan 11 with 1488 viewschicoazul

Maybe MMc has gone full Jewell. It's the Delaney situation all over again.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Are there any circumstances where a loan move for a striker would be acceptable? on 16:23 - Jan 11 with 1413 viewsRadlett_blue

Are there any circumstances where a loan move for a striker would be acceptable? on 15:38 - Jan 11 by PhilTWTD

It is interesting to look back and remember that Taylor was seen as a bit of a bargain at that price, Posh needed to sell by the end of the window to make sure they got a decent fee. They had hoped to sell him to a Premier League club.

I agree, Mick will ideally be looking for someone in the position of Murph when he signed him, a talented player undervalued at his current club or maybe - a riskier scenario - a frontman at the point Webster or Ward were when they were signed in the summer.

I thought we were in for George Boyd plus Taylor at the time. Boyd would obviously have been decent, but presumably Barry Fry played the 3 card trick on us - "find the footballer" - & hoodwinked Corporal Clegg.

Are there any circumstances where a loan move for a striker would be acceptable? on 16:26 - Jan 11 with 1396 viewsSteve_M

Are there any circumstances where a loan move for a striker would be acceptable? on 16:09 - Jan 11 by chicoazul

Maybe MMc has gone full Jewell. It's the Delaney situation all over again.

Nah, full Jewell would be getting a loanee in to replace Lawrence.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Are there any circumstances where a loan move for a striker would be acceptable? on 16:27 - Jan 11 with 1395 viewsPhilTWTD

Are there any circumstances where a loan move for a striker would be acceptable? on 16:23 - Jan 11 by Radlett_blue

I thought we were in for George Boyd plus Taylor at the time. Boyd would obviously have been decent, but presumably Barry Fry played the 3 card trick on us - "find the footballer" - & hoodwinked Corporal Clegg.

Boyd wanted too much money. He was already on a lot at Peterborough, their biggest ever contract, if I remember rightly.
Are there any circumstances where a loan move for a striker would be acceptable? on 17:54 - Jan 11 with 1280 viewsSWGF

Are there any circumstances where a loan move for a striker would be acceptable? on 16:01 - Jan 11 by itfcjoe

Regardless of who comes in, a quality striker with the ability to lead the line is going to be required. Even the best footballing sides have this player.

Yeah, but different managers will want different variations of that type, you'd think.

Are there any circumstances where a loan move for a striker would be acceptable? on 18:25 - Jan 11 with 1241 viewsitfcjoe

Are there any circumstances where a loan move for a striker would be acceptable? on 17:54 - Jan 11 by SWGF

Yeah, but different managers will want different variations of that type, you'd think.

A good player is a good player though

Are there any circumstances where a loan move for a striker would be acceptable? on 20:24 - Jan 11 with 1091 viewstaximan

Are there any circumstances where a loan move for a striker would be acceptable? on 18:25 - Jan 11 by itfcjoe

A good player is a good player though

agree
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024