Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tristram Hunt quits 09:45 - Jan 13 with 4791 viewsitfcjoe

To become director of V&A museum, another by election for labour to fight
[Post edited 13 Jan 2017 9:45]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Tristram Hunt quits on 13:45 - Jan 13 with 844 viewshype313

Tristram Hunt quits on 10:26 - Jan 13 by GlasgowBlue

Rats deserting a sinking ship.

They may well lose that seat to Ukip. In 2015 Hunt beat second-place UKIP by only 5,000 votes. Stoke-on-Trent voted 69% to Leave in the referendum — by 81,000 votes to 36,000.

And they have another by election to fight with Jamie Reid resigning his seat which also voted Brexit. A seat which relies on tens of thousands of jobs in the nuclear power industry. And Jezza has said he wants to shut down all our nuclear power stations.

Be good to see what Ukip do on this one, everyone is saying Nuttall should stand, given that it is a seat that is in Ukip's demographic, especially given that it is the biggest city in the UK to vote Brexit.

If he doesn't then what's the point of them? if he does and loses then they may aswell call it a day, which is why thy are probably ore nervous about the seat than Labour are.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Tristram Hunt quits on 13:46 - Jan 13 with 845 viewsfeelingblue

Tristram Hunt quits on 13:38 - Jan 13 by Tollycobbold

Interesting to see how a political skill set qualifies him to direct a museum.

I can only assume that is wind up?

If not, look him up on Wikipedia.
Tristram Hunt quits on 13:48 - Jan 13 with 831 viewsfeelingblue

Tristram Hunt quits on 13:45 - Jan 13 by hype313

Be good to see what Ukip do on this one, everyone is saying Nuttall should stand, given that it is a seat that is in Ukip's demographic, especially given that it is the biggest city in the UK to vote Brexit.

If he doesn't then what's the point of them? if he does and loses then they may aswell call it a day, which is why thy are probably ore nervous about the seat than Labour are.

Agreed. If they can't win this seat, it will be a major blow for them.
Having said that, now that the Tories are firmly a Brexit party, they might expect to win?
Tristram Hunt quits on 13:51 - Jan 13 with 825 viewsArcher4721

TBF he's more qualified for that job rather than a Labour MP.

http://www.history.qmul.ac.uk/staff/profile/4541-dr-tristram-hunt
Tristram Hunt quits on 13:53 - Jan 13 with 824 viewslowhouseblue

Tristram Hunt quits on 13:34 - Jan 13 by GunnsAirkick

It is going terribly I agree, but surely you must see that the answer isn't in politicians like Tristram Hunt? There are some good younger Labour MPs (both left and centrist), the sooner May calls an early General Election the sooner the re-building process can begin. I'll admit this whole thing was an experiment that has gone badly wrong. If Labour manage to lose both of these By Elections surely questions need to be asked again of the Leadership?

losing younger talented mps because they see no possibility of the party having influence or power is a measure of the disaster. wishing for an early election so that the party can be wiped out (150 seats?) and 'rebuild' is a measure of the disaster.
"I'll admit this whole thing was an experiment that has gone badly wrong." well, yes ...

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Tristram Hunt quits on 13:53 - Jan 13 with 820 viewsTollycobbold

Tristram Hunt quits on 13:51 - Jan 13 by Archer4721

TBF he's more qualified for that job rather than a Labour MP.

http://www.history.qmul.ac.uk/staff/profile/4541-dr-tristram-hunt

;)
Tristram Hunt quits on 13:55 - Jan 13 with 808 viewshype313

Tristram Hunt quits on 13:48 - Jan 13 by feelingblue

Having said that, now that the Tories are firmly a Brexit party, they might expect to win?

I wouldn't be surprised if the Tories win this one, and as much as Ukip can bang on about replacing Labour in the north by siding with the working class vote, I still think the natives up there will look through them as a party of protest.

Tristram Hunt quits on 13:55 - Jan 13 with 804 viewsGlasgowBlue

Tristram Hunt quits on 13:37 - Jan 13 by GunnsAirkick

I think the only hope against a one party Conservative state is a Labour rebuild which includes working with other left or centre-left parties.

Really Labour should be way ahead in the polls against this shower (I'm sure even Glasgow won't completely deny that).

On your last point; Yes and No. A more competent leader would certainly be holding a poor and confused government to account. But would that translate past the Westminster bubble?

Labour under a new leader would have to put over a clear position on Brexit without alienating a large section of their support. Brexit has completely changed the way politics is viewed at the polling booth.

Working with other centre left parties is a non starter, unless you include the Lib Dems in the demographic and that is a whole different debate, because all it will do is strengthen Labour in seats they already hold. There is a very good piece on this proposition by Luke Akehurst on Labour List (15th paragraph).

http://labourlist.org/2016/05/luke-akehurst-there-is-no-moral-obligation-not-to-

My view is that Labour in England are in danger of going the same way they have gone in Scotland. They no longer have a fixed place in people's minds. What do they stand for?
[Post edited 13 Jan 2017 14:35]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Login to get fewer ads

Tristram Hunt quits on 13:58 - Jan 13 with 796 viewsGlasgowBlue

Tristram Hunt quits on 13:48 - Jan 13 by feelingblue

The Tories and Ukip are in danger of splitting the Brexit vote.

I would imagine Ukip would love a deal where they withdraw from Copeland, giving the Tories a win and the Tories give them a clear run at Stoke, which I would expect Ukip to win.

But that won't happen. The Tories will prefer Corbyn to stay on and take one of the two seats.

Iron Lion Zion

Tristram Hunt quits on 14:02 - Jan 13 with 784 viewsArcher4721

Tristram Hunt quits on 13:55 - Jan 13 by hype313

I wouldn't be surprised if the Tories win this one, and as much as Ukip can bang on about replacing Labour in the north by siding with the working class vote, I still think the natives up there will look through them as a party of protest.

When Hunt was given this Stoke constituency (I doubt he even knew where Stoke was) it was a safe Labour seat. The local party have been trying to get him out and deselect for some time now due to the fact that he didn't support their Labour views and his majority became very slim. It will be interesting to see if they all come back and support a real Labour candidate and not a tory lite one like Hunt which was the problem there.

Hunt has gone before he was pushed anyway.
Tristram Hunt quits on 14:05 - Jan 13 with 773 viewshype313

Tristram Hunt quits on 14:02 - Jan 13 by Archer4721

When Hunt was given this Stoke constituency (I doubt he even knew where Stoke was) it was a safe Labour seat. The local party have been trying to get him out and deselect for some time now due to the fact that he didn't support their Labour views and his majority became very slim. It will be interesting to see if they all come back and support a real Labour candidate and not a tory lite one like Hunt which was the problem there.

If he was Tory lite and Labour are hemorrhaging votes then surely it points to a Tory win, especially as May has said Brexit means Brexit, whatever that means...

Tristram Hunt quits on 14:05 - Jan 13 with 772 viewsIpswichIrish

Tristram Hunt quits on 13:16 - Jan 13 by GlasgowBlue

Do you think Corbyn can survive losing three byelections in Labour held seats this year?

Yes. He's had blairites undermining him from day one, and unlike Theresa May, he actually got voted in, twice. They won't lose the by elections though, in my opinion
Tristram Hunt quits on 14:07 - Jan 13 with 751 viewsGlasgowBlue

Tristram Hunt quits on 14:05 - Jan 13 by IpswichIrish

Yes. He's had blairites undermining him from day one, and unlike Theresa May, he actually got voted in, twice. They won't lose the by elections though, in my opinion

Define Blairites. And did you set up this account purely to make that statement.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2017 14:08]

Iron Lion Zion

Tristram Hunt quits on 14:09 - Jan 13 with 741 viewsGlasgowBlue

Tristram Hunt quits on 14:05 - Jan 13 by hype313

If he was Tory lite and Labour are hemorrhaging votes then surely it points to a Tory win, especially as May has said Brexit means Brexit, whatever that means...

I think Copeland is the Tories best chance. Have you seen their attack ad?

Courtesy of Guido.

Iron Lion Zion

Tristram Hunt quits on 14:09 - Jan 13 with 742 viewsArcher4721

Tristram Hunt quits on 14:05 - Jan 13 by hype313

Tories won't win.

It depends if Labour voters now come back because Hunt has gone.

The other thing is that this constituency has been carved up recently in favour of the the tories in the recent boundry changes.
Tristram Hunt quits on 14:10 - Jan 13 with 739 viewsGunnsAirkick

Tristram Hunt quits on 13:53 - Jan 13 by lowhouseblue

losing younger talented mps because they see no possibility of the party having influence or power is a measure of the disaster. wishing for an early election so that the party can be wiped out (150 seats?) and 'rebuild' is a measure of the disaster.
"I'll admit this whole thing was an experiment that has gone badly wrong." well, yes ...

My point is the two we have lost aren't going to bring us any further forward, Corbyn has failed but so has New Labour (whether you like it or not). We need something different to both approaches. How does Tristram Hunt fit in with being the answer to our problems? Also where have I said Corbyn hasn't been a disaster in my post?
Tristram Hunt quits on 14:12 - Jan 13 with 727 viewsGunnsAirkick

Tristram Hunt quits on 13:55 - Jan 13 by GlasgowBlue

On your last point; Yes and No. A more competent leader would certainly be holding a poor and confused government to account. But would that translate past the Westminster bubble?

Labour under a new leader would have to put over a clear position on Brexit without alienating a large section of their support. Brexit has completely changed the way politics is viewed at the polling booth.

Working with other centre left parties is a non starter, unless you include the Lib Dems in the demographic and that is a whole different debate, because all it will do is strengthen Labour in seats they already hold. There is a very good piece on this proposition by Luke Akehurst on Labour List (15th paragraph).

http://labourlist.org/2016/05/luke-akehurst-there-is-no-moral-obligation-not-to-

My view is that Labour in England are in danger of going the same way they have gone in Scotland. They no longer have a fixed place in people's minds. What do they stand for?
[Post edited 13 Jan 2017 14:35]

This is the problem, the current Government is not good but the Conservatives are very good at providing a relatively joined up message.

Labour are f**king terrible at providing a joined up message under Corbyn (if he can't go one day without stating different positions on policy himself, what hope does the party as a whole have of delivering unified policy positions?)
[Post edited 13 Jan 2017 14:13]
Tristram Hunt quits on 14:12 - Jan 13 with 725 viewsIpswichIrish

Tristram Hunt quits on 14:07 - Jan 13 by GlasgowBlue

Define Blairites. And did you set up this account purely to make that statement.

1. Tory lite warmongers absolutely petrified to actually stand up for people on welfare, the trade unions, through fear of not being 'trusted on the economy'. I would vote f9r Corbyn because he can't be bought by scum like Murdoch and is anti trident which can never be used. Bliar should be ashamed to show his face after Iraq

2. Do you say that about everybody who doesn't agree with you?
Tristram Hunt quits on 14:13 - Jan 13 with 718 viewschicoazul

He's a published historian.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Tristram Hunt quits on 14:14 - Jan 13 with 713 viewsArcher4721

Tristram Hunt quits on 14:07 - Jan 13 by GlasgowBlue

For God's sake shut up. Every new poster who comes on here to challenge your warped views you cry foul.

Give it a rest, you're like a big baby at times.
Tristram Hunt quits on 14:14 - Jan 13 with 710 viewschicoazul

Tristram Hunt quits on 14:02 - Jan 13 by Archer4721

We can always tell when you have C&Pd something from another website.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Tristram Hunt quits on 14:16 - Jan 13 with 690 viewslowhouseblue

Tristram Hunt quits on 14:10 - Jan 13 by GunnsAirkick

My point is the two we have lost aren't going to bring us any further forward, Corbyn has failed but so has New Labour (whether you like it or not). We need something different to both approaches. How does Tristram Hunt fit in with being the answer to our problems? Also where have I said Corbyn hasn't been a disaster in my post?

hunt is talented, clever, and a very effective communicator. he would have made an excellent minister. he represents the solid traditional centrist core of the party that won 3 general elections. to win we need to win back voters who have gone to the tories and ukip. yes it is very good that you've worked out that corbyn is a disaster.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Tristram Hunt quits on 14:16 - Jan 13 with 689 viewsArcher4721

Tristram Hunt quits on 14:12 - Jan 13 by IpswichIrish

1. Tory lite warmongers absolutely petrified to actually stand up for people on welfare, the trade unions, through fear of not being 'trusted on the economy'. I would vote f9r Corbyn because he can't be bought by scum like Murdoch and is anti trident which can never be used. Bliar should be ashamed to show his face after Iraq

2. Do you say that about everybody who doesn't agree with you?

2. Yes he does don't worry about it.
Tristram Hunt quits on 14:17 - Jan 13 with 680 viewsArcher4721

Tristram Hunt quits on 14:16 - Jan 13 by lowhouseblue

hunt is talented, clever, and a very effective communicator. he would have made an excellent minister. he represents the solid traditional centrist core of the party that won 3 general elections. to win we need to win back voters who have gone to the tories and ukip. yes it is very good that you've worked out that corbyn is a disaster.

So why was Hunt hated by the people he was supposed to represent?
Tristram Hunt quits on 14:17 - Jan 13 with 679 viewslowhouseblue

Tristram Hunt quits on 14:09 - Jan 13 by Archer4721

Tories won't win.

It depends if Labour voters now come back because Hunt has gone.

The other thing is that this constituency has been carved up recently in favour of the the tories in the recent boundry changes.

you do know that the boundary changes haven't happened yet?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024