Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tristram Hunt quits 09:45 - Jan 13 with 4790 viewsitfcjoe

To become director of V&A museum, another by election for labour to fight
[Post edited 13 Jan 2017 9:45]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Tristram Hunt quits on 15:49 - Jan 13 with 835 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

Good historian and decent bloke even though he was a labour mp. Can't blame him from leaving Corbyn's commie party.

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

Tristram Hunt quits on 16:05 - Jan 13 with 805 viewsGunnsAirkick

Tristram Hunt quits on 15:28 - Jan 13 by lowhouseblue

I don't think traditional labour voters are looking for someone with a cloth cap. labour voters are, and always have been, diverse. most of them are not put off by someone being clever. the issue is about what policies they offer. people like hunt are much more in touch with the priorities of labour voters than bunch who have currently hijacked the party. the people who supported or turned a blind eye to corbyn's leadership are the ones who are utterly out of touch with labour voters.

Your assertion that Labour MPs like Hunt are the answer seems equally out of touch.

Labour under Corbyn is not working but nor will going back to the New Labour way; what is needed is a broader selection of MPs from the left and centre of the party to work as a unit rather than against each other.

Give this article a read if you think Hunt and his ilk are Labour's saviours.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/05/20-seats-lowest-turnout-show-labour
Tristram Hunt quits on 16:11 - Jan 13 with 787 viewsGlasgowBlue

Tristram Hunt quits on 16:05 - Jan 13 by GunnsAirkick

Your assertion that Labour MPs like Hunt are the answer seems equally out of touch.

Labour under Corbyn is not working but nor will going back to the New Labour way; what is needed is a broader selection of MPs from the left and centre of the party to work as a unit rather than against each other.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/05/20-seats-lowest-turnout-show-labour

In the past 50 years Labour has always been at it's best when it has been a broad coalition of left, right and centre. New Labour was a coalition.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Tristram Hunt quits on 16:16 - Jan 13 with 770 viewsStokieBlue

Tristram Hunt quits on 16:05 - Jan 13 by GunnsAirkick

Isn't that going to be very hard now though? The positions internally are so polarised that the different sides of the party are unlikely to agree on a manifesto which can get them into power and stop them going for each other in public.

Doesn't help when the main man makes up or changes policies on live TV without consulting his shadow cabinet.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Tristram Hunt quits on 16:22 - Jan 13 with 765 viewsGunnsAirkick

Tristram Hunt quits on 16:11 - Jan 13 by GlasgowBlue

In the past 50 years Labour has always been at it's best when it has been a broad coalition of left, right and centre. New Labour was a coalition.

That is basically what I'm saying, I just think associations with the toxic 'New Labour' brand (which Hunt is indelibly linked with through his association with Peter Mandelson) will not take Labour much further forward than under this dreadful Corbyn leadership.
Tristram Hunt quits on 16:25 - Jan 13 with 761 viewsNo9

Tristram Hunt quits on 16:16 - Jan 13 by StokieBlue

Isn't that going to be very hard now though? The positions internally are so polarised that the different sides of the party are unlikely to agree on a manifesto which can get them into power and stop them going for each other in public.

Doesn't help when the main man makes up or changes policies on live TV without consulting his shadow cabinet.

SB

In reality it would be very difficult for any political party to get anywhere when faced with so much dishonest media and a considerable number of outriders telling porkies.

In addition to that it is difficult to get anyone to take any interest in politics when they know they are being lied to day in day out.
Tristram Hunt quits on 16:29 - Jan 13 with 757 viewsStokieBlue

Tristram Hunt quits on 16:25 - Jan 13 by No9

In reality it would be very difficult for any political party to get anywhere when faced with so much dishonest media and a considerable number of outriders telling porkies.

In addition to that it is difficult to get anyone to take any interest in politics when they know they are being lied to day in day out.

But the evidence of 2016 seems to indicate a lot more people have been interested in politics and turned up and voted.

Whether they voted for the right reasons or based on lies is certainly open to debate.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Tristram Hunt quits on 16:30 - Jan 13 with 757 viewsGlasgowBlue

Tristram Hunt quits on 16:22 - Jan 13 by GunnsAirkick

That is basically what I'm saying, I just think associations with the toxic 'New Labour' brand (which Hunt is indelibly linked with through his association with Peter Mandelson) will not take Labour much further forward than under this dreadful Corbyn leadership.

Do you not think all of this "branding" is an obstacle to uniting Labour. We had a new poster earlier branding anyone who opposed Corbyn as a Blairite. Red Tories is another.

Hunt didn't enter Parliament under Blair or Brown yet he's labelled both of the above.

You are right though. The leadership of the Labour party needs to come from somebody not associated with either the "Blairite" (see now I've done it) Right or The Corbynite Left.

You need somebody from the soft left. Hillary Benn would have been ideal but after his role in the Syrian debate he is now also viewd as a Red Tory.

Lisa Nandy could be the ideal person. She is very impressive but I think it will be post 2020.

Iron Lion Zion

Login to get fewer ads

Tristram Hunt quits on 16:34 - Jan 13 with 739 viewsGunnsAirkick

Tristram Hunt quits on 16:16 - Jan 13 by StokieBlue

SB

There are a few trying. Clive Lewis (my local MP and one of Corbyn's allies) has been calling for cross-party unity and has looked to work with those on the centre and right of the party.

He has been fiercely loyal to Corbyn, although I get the impression from some of his appearances lately that he might be wavering a bit on that front. I think Seamus Milne changing his Labour Party Conference speech might have something to do with it!
Tristram Hunt quits on 16:38 - Jan 13 with 731 viewsGlasgowBlue

Tristram Hunt quits on 16:34 - Jan 13 by GunnsAirkick

There are a few trying. Clive Lewis (my local MP and one of Corbyn's allies) has been calling for cross-party unity and has looked to work with those on the centre and right of the party.

He has been fiercely loyal to Corbyn, although I get the impression from some of his appearances lately that he might be wavering a bit on that front. I think Seamus Milne changing his Labour Party Conference speech might have something to do with it!

Clive Lewis has been put on the naughty step by Milne and Corbyn hasn't he?

Iron Lion Zion

Tristram Hunt quits on 16:42 - Jan 13 with 723 viewsGunnsAirkick

Tristram Hunt quits on 16:30 - Jan 13 by GlasgowBlue

Do you not think all of this "branding" is an obstacle to uniting Labour. We had a new poster earlier branding anyone who opposed Corbyn as a Blairite. Red Tories is another.

Hunt didn't enter Parliament under Blair or Brown yet he's labelled both of the above.

You are right though. The leadership of the Labour party needs to come from somebody not associated with either the "Blairite" (see now I've done it) Right or The Corbynite Left.

You need somebody from the soft left. Hillary Benn would have been ideal but after his role in the Syrian debate he is now also viewd as a Red Tory.

Lisa Nandy could be the ideal person. She is very impressive but I think it will be post 2020.

It is not helpful but Hunt do has links to the 'old guard' (even if he wasn't an MP then).

I completely see your point though, I've been called a Blairite on Twitter for posting criticism of Corbyn and as you know I voted for him first time round! The term 'Blairite' and 'Red Tory' seem to be thrown around a lot with little or no foundation.

See my other post about Clive Lewis, they're even doing it to him to a degree FFS.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/clive-lewis-attacked-for-disloyalty-to-jer
Tristram Hunt quits on 16:45 - Jan 13 with 716 viewsGlasgowBlue

Tristram Hunt quits on 16:42 - Jan 13 by GunnsAirkick

It is not helpful but Hunt do has links to the 'old guard' (even if he wasn't an MP then).

I completely see your point though, I've been called a Blairite on Twitter for posting criticism of Corbyn and as you know I voted for him first time round! The term 'Blairite' and 'Red Tory' seem to be thrown around a lot with little or no foundation.

See my other post about Clive Lewis, they're even doing it to him to a degree FFS.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/clive-lewis-attacked-for-disloyalty-to-jer

It's Stalinism at it's worst.

Iron Lion Zion

Tristram Hunt quits on 16:53 - Jan 13 with 694 viewsGunnsAirkick

Tristram Hunt quits on 16:38 - Jan 13 by GlasgowBlue

Clive Lewis has been put on the naughty step by Milne and Corbyn hasn't he?

Yep. See him on BBC East quite a bit and at a couple of Norwich Labour CLPs; he doesn't seem 100% into the Corbyn project anymore (although perhaps putting a brave face on it).
Tristram Hunt quits on 17:02 - Jan 13 with 682 viewsGlasgowBlue

Tristram Hunt quits on 16:53 - Jan 13 by GunnsAirkick

Yep. See him on BBC East quite a bit and at a couple of Norwich Labour CLPs; he doesn't seem 100% into the Corbyn project anymore (although perhaps putting a brave face on it).

I must admit that I'm not too impressed by him. He seems out of his depth and has admitted he didn't want to be on the front bench.

He was also on the periphery of the recent anti semitism stuff that was floating around social media over the past few years.

Iron Lion Zion

Tristram Hunt quits on 18:13 - Jan 13 with 654 viewsfeelingblue

Tristram Hunt quits on 16:30 - Jan 13 by GlasgowBlue

With a pretty right wing government, I think that they need someone who is almost at the centre of general politics as it stands at this time, so that they can appeal to the broadest audience.

With the partial exception of Harold Wilson, every Labour Prime Minster has been denounced as right wing by his own members.

Every left-wing Labour leader has been somewhere between unsuccessful and a disaster. The current incumbent is at the extreme end of disaster.

A lot of my friends voted for Blair, the first time. None of them will vote for Corbyn,
Tristram Hunt quits on 18:33 - Jan 13 with 636 viewsGlasgowBlue

Tristram Hunt quits on 18:13 - Jan 13 by feelingblue

With a pretty right wing government, I think that they need someone who is almost at the centre of general politics as it stands at this time, so that they can appeal to the broadest audience.

With the partial exception of Harold Wilson, every Labour Prime Minster has been denounced as right wing by his own members.

Every left-wing Labour leader has been somewhere between unsuccessful and a disaster. The current incumbent is at the extreme end of disaster.

A lot of my friends voted for Blair, the first time. None of them will vote for Corbyn,

Right wing government?

Id say May is the most left wing leader we have had since Grocer Heath.

Iron Lion Zion

Tristram Hunt quits on 01:09 - Jan 14 with 548 viewsfeelingblue

Tristram Hunt quits on 18:33 - Jan 13 by GlasgowBlue

Right wing government?

Id say May is the most left wing leader we have had since Grocer Heath.

I would have to disagree, completely.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024