Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Martin McGuinness 21:05 - Jan 19 with 29387 viewsvapour_trail

Farewell to a political heavyweight. One of the key players in the creation of the current relatively peaceful northern Ireland and a man with a pretty grim past.

He will be missed.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Martin McGuinness on 03:31 - Jan 20 with 2997 viewsjeera

Martin McGuinness on 00:29 - Jan 20 by vapour_trail

Good grief.

There's such limited intelligence behind that rant...

I don't have the patience to unpick it.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Martin McGuinness on 04:50 - Jan 20 with 2977 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Martin McGuinness on 23:03 - Jan 19 by IpswichIrish

I don't hate all things British, I hate the royal family - like a lot of British do
I don't agree with the crimes of the army in Ireland
I'm not McGuinness' biggest fan, but you, AND the authorities have absolutely NO PROOF whatsoever he killed anyone
Bloody Sunday soldiers on the other hand.....

You said you'll celebrate when the queen dies.

You might disagree with the ideology of the royal family but celebrating she dies? Poor form if you ask me.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Martin McGuinness on 05:30 - Jan 20 with 2964 viewsBenters

Martin McGuinness on 23:50 - Jan 19 by gtsb1966

The subject was Martin McGuiness. The original poster said he'd be missed. I said not by the relatives of the people murdered by the IRA of which McGuinness was a member. I know the British over the years have done some appalling crimes too. Ain't I clever oh wise one.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2017 23:53]

Facters hates England and most things English.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Martin McGuinness on 06:52 - Jan 20 with 2928 viewsJohnhoz

Martin McGuinness on 22:50 - Jan 19 by IpswichIrish

They should never have been in Ireland
That's your choice, I had an all day sesh celebrating when Thatcher died, and I will again when the queen, prince Philip do

The Queen visited Ireland and shook hands with McGuinness. It was a hugely symbolic moment which demonstrated to all of us that it is time to move on.

You're only 27, you should be part of that. Don't live in the hatred of the past mate
[Post edited 20 Jan 2017 7:09]

I reckon we should sack the manager every time we lose a game
Poll: Right now, why do you go to games

Martin McGuinness on 07:58 - Jan 20 with 2854 viewsGlasgowBlue

Martin McGuinness on 05:30 - Jan 20 by Benters

I have him in ignore as I like him and don't want to get into an argument with him.

But recently it appears he has taken leave of all his senses. It may be because at his age he has realised he'll never see another labour government in his lifetime.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Martin McGuinness on 08:12 - Jan 20 with 2839 viewsoldbluestu

Martin McGuinness on 22:30 - Jan 19 by IpswichIrish

The IRA served time in jail - the British army who murdered innocents in Ireland never

Big difference the army were sent to do a job, McGuinness and the IRA were killing for fun.
If it was for a cause then after it was over why didnt he tell the families the location of the bodies of those killed.

But thankfully he's ill and hopefully it's a long painful illness lasting 20+ years, punishment by his wonderful God.
Martin McGuinness on 08:23 - Jan 20 with 2823 viewstaximan

i have a solution for this
Martin McGuinness on 08:47 - Jan 20 with 2789 viewsRadlett_blue

Martin McGuinness on 22:40 - Jan 19 by IpswichIrish

Me? 27
Family were in the north during the troubles
I don't agree with an army occupying ANY COUNTRY let alone my own, as any Brit wouldn't either

Northern Ireland is and has been part of the UK for a very long time.
Troops were initially sent in in 1969 to protect the Northern Irish Catholics.
Go check some facts & history before you spout such nonsense.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

Martin McGuinness on 08:57 - Jan 20 with 2766 viewsGeoffSentence

Martin McGuinness on 22:26 - Jan 19 by meekreech

Should never have been allowed to be in any form of government , it is a let down to all of the people who did not support violence ! Both him and his IRA leader should be rotting in prison .

They should, but if they had ,the troubled times in Northern Ireland would have gone on for longer and may still be going on today. Lots of people will have been spared suffering as a result. Sometimes you have to make an unpalatable choice for the greater good.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Martin McGuinness on 09:01 - Jan 20 with 2758 viewsWeWereZombies

Brave to start this thread perhaps, a bit of justification here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38686420

Although I think I can predict what IpswichIrish thinks of McGuinness' friend in later life, Dr. Ian Paisley - it's probably in harmony with Lucan's love of Martin McGuinness...
[Post edited 20 Jan 2017 9:06]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Martin McGuinness on 09:01 - Jan 20 with 2757 viewsDanTheMan

Martin McGuinness on 08:47 - Jan 20 by Radlett_blue

To be fair, we did essentially colonise Ireland which is how a lot of this all started. Admittedly this was over a hundred years ago but still.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Martin McGuinness on 09:01 - Jan 20 with 2755 viewsfactual_blue

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

I am disappointed by what my country is becoming.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Martin McGuinness on 09:03 - Jan 20 with 2750 viewsRadlett_blue

Martin McGuinness on 09:01 - Jan 20 by DanTheMan

To be fair, we did essentially colonise Ireland which is how a lot of this all started. Admittedly this was over a hundred years ago but still.

Several hundred years ago but, yes.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Martin McGuinness on 09:04 - Jan 20 with 2753 viewsWadeyBlue

I'm more interested to know why the OP felt the need to post this on an English football forum, where without a shadow of doubt he knew the exact reaction it would get.

Please enlighten me with the original thinking behind posting it, or did alcohol play a part here?

Poll: In our multicultural society and ever changing world should we offer halal food?

Martin McGuinness on 09:09 - Jan 20 with 2725 viewsvapour_trail

Martin McGuinness on 09:04 - Jan 20 by WadeyBlue

I'm more interested to know why the OP felt the need to post this on an English football forum, where without a shadow of doubt he knew the exact reaction it would get.

Please enlighten me with the original thinking behind posting it, or did alcohol play a part here?

This board isn't generally limited to discussion on English football.

I thought it was notable, and I'd say the reaction has been measured in the main. Don't see the problem. I was no more pissed than I am now.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Martin McGuinness on 09:10 - Jan 20 with 2725 viewsGeoffSentence

Martin McGuinness on 09:03 - Jan 20 by Radlett_blue

Several hundred years ago but, yes.

To be fair if you keep going back, those b'stards kept coming over here and stealing our sheep, and Scotland of course was colonised by the Dal Riata from the North of Ireland. So, in fact the people of Scots heritage who inhabit Northern Ireland now have gone back to their ancestral home. And on top of that large swathes of Ireland were colonised by the vikings, who them sailed over here and badgered us. All in all it's an unholy historical mess which is impossible to unpick. The best place to start is the status quo.

Martin McGuinness on 09:12 - Jan 20 with 2713 viewsWeWereZombies

Martin McGuinness on 09:01 - Jan 20 by factual_blue

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

I am disappointed by what my country is becoming.

I think you are mixing up patrimony, a genuine love of a country and it's flawed people, with nationalism - the my country right or wrong and don't you dare question it as our nation is full of perfect people and we can't possibly be wrong brigade.

Or perhaps you are with Hume in the being part of a nation is like being kidnapped - once you are on the ship and you wake up it is too far from further to shores to be able to swim there.

Or I could plough on with John Locke on tacit acceptance but I have a washing machine to unload in an hour or so...

Martin McGuinness on 09:13 - Jan 20 with 2712 viewsGeoffSentence

As Phil is often at pains to point out this is not just a football forum, it is a forum for Ipswich Town Supporters. In reality it's wider than that we have some regular budgies and Bournemouth fans on here too.

If you want only football stuff select the 'football posts' filter at the top.

Martin McGuinness on 09:22 - Jan 20 with 2685 viewsbrazil1982

MMcG, GA and others should have been assassinated by the British. Only the US stopped us from doing that.

What is really scary though is MMcG looks almost identical to my Dad.
Martin McGuinness on 09:25 - Jan 20 with 2678 viewsSwansea_Blue

Martin McGuinness on 09:10 - Jan 20 by GeoffSentence

To be fair if you keep going back, those b'stards kept coming over here and stealing our sheep, and Scotland of course was colonised by the Dal Riata from the North of Ireland. So, in fact the people of Scots heritage who inhabit Northern Ireland now have gone back to their ancestral home. And on top of that large swathes of Ireland were colonised by the vikings, who them sailed over here and badgered us. All in all it's an unholy historical mess which is impossible to unpick. The best place to start is the status quo.

"The best place to start is the status quo"!?

Pah, whatever you want.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Martin McGuinness on 09:28 - Jan 20 with 2670 viewsWD19

Christ....I was going to give you a 2/10, but see this has already run to 4 pages.
Martin McGuinness on 09:29 - Jan 20 with 2667 viewsSwansea_Blue

Given they his/her only replies are on this thread, either:
(a) feels more strongly about it than anything else that's been posted on here
(b) was set up specifically for this thread, Blueas style

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Martin McGuinness on 09:32 - Jan 20 with 2660 viewsWeWereZombies

Martin McGuinness on 09:10 - Jan 20 by GeoffSentence

It is a bit more complicated than that, a couple of snippets from Wikipedia:

However Dál Riata came to be, the time in which it arose was one of great instability in Ulster, following the Ulaid's loss of territory (including the ancient centre of Emain Macha) to the Airgíalla and the Uí Néill. Whether the two parts of Dál Riata had long been united, or whether a conquest in the 4th century or early 5th century, either of Antrim from Argyll, or vice versa, in line with myth, is not known.

Serious defeats in Ireland and Scotland in the time of Domnall Brecc (d. 642) ended Dál Riata's "golden age", and the kingdom became a client of Northumbria, then subject to the Picts.

Martin McGuinness on 09:35 - Jan 20 with 2654 viewsbrazil1982

Quite staggering isn't it. He's obviously looking for bites. I hope to never meet him at an Ipswich match, I won't make this anti-British man very welcome.
Typical bitter Irish.

Fast forward 20 years and we'll have people on here praising ISIS.
Martin McGuinness on 09:39 - Jan 20 with 2638 viewsmanchego

Martin McGuinness on 08:47 - Jan 20 by Radlett_blue

It was all Ireland for a hell of a lot longer than that you twit.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024