Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Trump - really, I mean really?? 08:31 - Jan 22 with 16231 viewsunstableblue

People are really flabbergasted and concerned this morning in the US. Is he really going to be like this??

Basically he is claiming 1.5million people for his inauguration, he is stating it's is ghe largest turnout ever. He is stating the media are lying that it was only 250k, and much lower than Obamas.

He won't even acknowkedge the protest movement - which was larger. He's basically p!ssed about this and is blaming the media. His press secretary has carried on the line and the attack.

But photos and importantly the Washington mass transit numbers prove the press news.

Trump is lying! Like he did throughout his campaign. But now he is president.

It is shocking. It is like a banana republic.

And to think there were muppets on here lauding him.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2017 8:32]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Trump - really, I mean really?? on 11:10 - Jan 23 with 1519 viewscaught-in-limbo

Trump - really, I mean really?? on 10:48 - Jan 23 by flimflam

This is pretty cool and you can make your own mind up about numbers present

http://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2017/01/politics/trump-inauguration-gigapixel

It's not important how many were there. What is important is that the establishment-supporting mainstream media is the truth and anything else which disagrees with what they say is "fake" news.

Good rational people believe what the mainstream tells them. Any other media source is for lunatics, racists, conspiracy theorists and homeland terrorists.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Trump - really, I mean really?? on 11:33 - Jan 23 with 1504 viewslowhouseblue

Trump - really, I mean really?? on 11:10 - Jan 23 by caught-in-limbo

It's not important how many were there. What is important is that the establishment-supporting mainstream media is the truth and anything else which disagrees with what they say is "fake" news.

Good rational people believe what the mainstream tells them. Any other media source is for lunatics, racists, conspiracy theorists and homeland terrorists.

but on this occasion what the establishment-supporting mainstream media is saying is true right?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Trump - really, I mean really?? on 11:57 - Jan 23 with 1473 viewsWeWereZombies

Trump - really, I mean really?? on 09:29 - Jan 23 by StokieBlue

China is a mess as well though. It's very well hidden but they have an internal debt of x27 what the US sub prime debt was and also are burning through their currency reserves propping up the yuan.

They still have plenty of reserves left but unless they can start selling internally to the middle class then they are in for some rocky times - a property crash there is almost inevitable.

SB

I'm going to start a new thread on this as it hardly fits in with the original thrust of the thread, and quite a lot is being buried by the lover's tiff between CIL and lowhouseblue.

It is reasonably good practice I think to split up these threads as TWTD gets more advertiser revenue that way and we should at least pay the piper for the privilege of rambling on...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Trump - really, I mean really?? on 12:03 - Jan 23 with 1467 viewscaught-in-limbo

Trump - really, I mean really?? on 11:33 - Jan 23 by lowhouseblue

but on this occasion what the establishment-supporting mainstream media is saying is true right?

Officially they are always right.

In this case for example CNN has published images which seem to add weight to both versions.

#toxic

Trump - really, I mean really?? on 12:07 - Jan 23 with 1453 viewslowhouseblue

Trump - really, I mean really?? on 12:03 - Jan 23 by caught-in-limbo

In this case for example CNN has published images which seem to add weight to both versions.

what images has cnn published that support trump's version? i haven't seen those.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Trump - really, I mean really?? on 13:53 - Jan 23 with 1384 viewsVic

I think parts of trumps problem is that he's never been to or watched an inauguration before. Probably assumed it was a little affair in the Oval Office and that this show was a new thing just for him.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Trump - really, I mean really?? on 13:57 - Jan 27 with 1287 viewsRyorry

Trump - really, I mean really?? on 00:23 - Jan 23 by J2BLUE

Is there anywhere I can read about fracking? I don't know much about it.

So sorry it's been a long time coming J2, and even now I haven't had time to write my own concise summary. This is partly because it's such a complex subject, and not only do I not have the time to write a 2,000 word essay (tho I may do so in time, properly backed up & referenced), but if I simplified it as a post on here, I could rightly be accused of being simplistic! Instead, here are a few of the best, most serious links - the first an overarching "world" view which spotlights economics via an in-depth look at Ineos; the second from Mike Hill, a highly respected engineer who worked in the oil and gas industries for many years. (that he's correcting the CofE's misapprehensions is irrelevant). The last two are compendiums of hundreds of peer-reviewed articles and abstracts from scientific and academic journals.

All are worth careful reading.

Two other over-arching considerations:-

1) David Cameron's "Dash for Gas" was pushed on the basis that fracking in the UK would be based on "gold-standard regulation and monitoring". This is impossible to achieve, not least because the Environment Agency has been charged with the task, and a) at best they are incompetent (look at their handling of various recent flooding scenarios in England) and b) at worst, they have vested interests in being lax (they have pension funds invested in Barclays, who own fracking company Third Energy). This supposed "gold standard" has already been relaxed to allow the industry itself to self-monitor on some aspects of operation; and some fracking companies have illegally already failed to report some breaches, only being forced to do so by the actions of some "antis".

2) As the technology of fracking would, in the UK, be a completely new activity in our densely populated and unique geology, we should be proceeding on the *precautionary principle* (worth googling that for its precise meaning), not launching it as, in effect, a complete gamble. Pandora's Box - once opened, you can't put all the contents back. Amongst other things, strange as this may sound, the UK may well not have sufficient water resources to provide fracking with its needs - even the USA has had problems in this respect, despite having massive underground aquifers and rivers like the Mississipi to draw from. This in addition to problems of water pollution caused by fracking (see articles in the compendiums).

http://www.feasta.org/2016/06/11/jim-ratcliffe-ineos-and-the-empire-of-trash/

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/Mike%20Hill%20Paper%20on%20Church%20Report%20an

http://www.yaleclimateconnections.org/2015/05/pros-and-cons-of-fracking-5-key-is

http://www.frackingdigest.co.uk/health.htm

https://www.medact.org/2015/news/press-releases/new-report-health-fracking-the-i

http://concernedhealthny.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/COMPENDIUM-4.0_FINAL_11_

https://www.zotero.org/groups/pse_study_citation_database/items/collectionKey/SA

Edit: replaced broken link
[Post edited 3 Feb 2017 4:25]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Trump - really, I mean really?? on 14:03 - Jan 27 with 1276 viewsradiogaga

Based on the amount he obsesses/ takes pride in crowds, he must be a Norwich fan.

Poll: How many points will Town need to make the off-plays?
Blog: Expectations of Paul Lambert's Ipswich

Login to get fewer ads

Trump - really, I mean really?? on 14:16 - Jan 27 with 1257 viewsRyorry

Trump - really, I mean really?? on 09:54 - Jan 23 by GlasgowBlue

I see that Friends of the Earth was recently censured by the advertising regulator and forced to promise it will not repeat pseudo-scientific claims about the economic, environmental and health effects of fracking after they put out a scaremongering campaign leaflet warning fracking would be responsible for everything from falling house prices to asthma and cancer.

The watchdog said the anti fracking campaigner must:

Not claim that fluid used in fracking contains chemicals dangerous to human health or that it would contaminate drinking water

Not claim a US fracking site was responsible for increases in asthma rates or that the public would be at risk of equivalent increases in asthma rates in the UK

Not claim that there is an established risk of the chemicals concerned causing cancer and other conditions among the local population

Not claim that fracking will cause plummeting house prices.

Seems to me that the mistake FoE made was, as I mentioned in my earlier post on this thread, to broadcast a stupidly sweeping generalisation - ie on the front of the pamphlet showing a beautiful country landscape, is the text "Don't let fracking destroy all of this". Well obviously it wouldn't destroy "all" of that, as the actual hills, lake and sky, eg, would still be there. FoE are a charity at the end of the day, so have to comply with the ASA, however sound most of their arguments against fracking are.

https://www.foe.co.uk/blog/let-s-talk-about-fracking-facts

Trump - really, I mean really?? on 17:17 - Jan 27 with 1210 viewsRyorry

for J2

Trump - really, I mean really?? on 22:30 - Jan 27 with 1167 viewshorsehollerer

Trump - really, I mean really?? on 12:03 - Jan 23 by caught-in-limbo

I'm aware that I've wandered into a days-old thread here ....

So I don't know how much mainstream US media you are seeing, but we're witnessing a dramatic collective shift against Trump in tone and language and rhetoric.

Trump has, of course, has been denouncing the mainstream media at every turn (Dictatorship for Dummies, chapter 1 ... chapter 2 no doubt tackles 'silencing scientists and federal employees') but the media is fighting back big time.

The NY Times took it to a whole new level this morning with the op-ed "A lie by any other name" - what you don't see in the web article is that when you share the story on FB, a prominent subheading appears on your post: "Our president is a pathological liar". Snap. I mean, this is the NY Times, not demheads.org or some such. https://nyti.ms/2kwh7br

And of course, CNN (US) hasn't exactly been holding back since Trump's attempt to public humiliate them at his pre-inaugural presser. One of CNN's home page teasers today: "Guess who's paying for the wall?" which leads to the full article "Trump's idea for Mexican wall tax is illegal and would hurt US". Bang.

Fox News has been the exception, of course, rigorously following its Trump agenda. That said, even Fox anchor Chris Wallace surprisingly laid into chief of staff Priebus live on air over the crowd-gate nonsense. http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/01/22/reince-priebus-fiery-debate-chris-wallace-

Anyway, everything you've suggested on this thread about mainstream media - i.e. supporting the establishment and "always being right" etc - has always been my understanding of their role, too. But suddenly I'm not seeing that at all. Sh1t's getting weirder by the minute.

Blog: The Late, Late Blubfest Show

Trump - really, I mean really?? on 23:55 - Feb 2 with 1038 viewscaught-in-limbo

Trump - really, I mean really?? on 22:30 - Jan 27 by horsehollerer

I'm aware that I've wandered into a days-old thread here ....

So I don't know how much mainstream US media you are seeing, but we're witnessing a dramatic collective shift against Trump in tone and language and rhetoric.

Trump has, of course, has been denouncing the mainstream media at every turn (Dictatorship for Dummies, chapter 1 ... chapter 2 no doubt tackles 'silencing scientists and federal employees') but the media is fighting back big time.

The NY Times took it to a whole new level this morning with the op-ed "A lie by any other name" - what you don't see in the web article is that when you share the story on FB, a prominent subheading appears on your post: "Our president is a pathological liar". Snap. I mean, this is the NY Times, not demheads.org or some such. https://nyti.ms/2kwh7br

And of course, CNN (US) hasn't exactly been holding back since Trump's attempt to public humiliate them at his pre-inaugural presser. One of CNN's home page teasers today: "Guess who's paying for the wall?" which leads to the full article "Trump's idea for Mexican wall tax is illegal and would hurt US". Bang.

Fox News has been the exception, of course, rigorously following its Trump agenda. That said, even Fox anchor Chris Wallace surprisingly laid into chief of staff Priebus live on air over the crowd-gate nonsense. http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/01/22/reince-priebus-fiery-debate-chris-wallace-

Anyway, everything you've suggested on this thread about mainstream media - i.e. supporting the establishment and "always being right" etc - has always been my understanding of their role, too. But suddenly I'm not seeing that at all. Sh1t's getting weirder by the minute.

Noted.

I'll watch the show play out.

#toxic

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024