Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Opposition 10:08 - Jan 22 with 6137 viewsRubicon

Town fan here, Hudders that is. Just a quick message to say thanks to the posters who've praised both the team and the support.
We are to be truthful, having an amazing season and loving every minute. Some of the best football I've ever seen, and I was around when we last got promotion to the top division in 1970.
A lot of us, myself included, actually don't even care whether we get to the promised land or not. We're enjoying the ride, and are in with a chance. If the football stays the same, well that's all we can ask for on our budget. Friday we spent 500k on another striker, to help us over the line, which compared to Newcastle Derby and co isn't even pocket money. But Wagner is just amazing as far as we're concerned, and I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't too long before folks know about Colin Quaner.
Hope things turn around for you. All fans deserve better than you got yesterday. Not sure I'd say you were the worst team I've seen us play, but certainly one of the easiest wins.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2017 11:01]
Opposition on 13:50 - Jan 22 with 1360 viewsNo9

Opposition on 10:59 - Jan 22 by Rubicon

Schindler centre half 1.8 million. Van La Parra 750k, Hefele centre half free Lowe, left back free Quaner 500k.
Brown Chelsea , Palmer Chelsea, Mooy City Ward Liverpool keeper all loans.
Payne Southend around 400k.
Smith Billing academy, rest all pre Wagner.
Not a lot, there are some bargains it seems in Germany. Schindler and Lowe are probably as good a centre half and left back as any in Championship. Some think reserve keeper who is ours is better than Ward who apparently has to play 75% of games, but we could be stuffed if we go up without loans? Billing though is a good replacement for Mooy and hopefully if it happens we'll splash out to buy some of them. who knows, the good times are now, the future can take care of itself.

Obviously Huddersfield have much better scouts than are in residence at ITFC
Opposition on 14:08 - Jan 22 with 1331 viewsolimar

Opposition on 11:13 - Jan 22 by HarryfromBath

Thanks for popping up on here, Rubicon, and all the very best for the rest of the season.

The contrast between our two clubs seems to be between that yours is a club with a plan and a sense of direction both on and off the field and one which is being delivered. Wagner has a clear footballing philosophy and style of play, and he seems to have moved into the squad building as opposed to the team building phase.

Off the field, it looks from the outside that there is a Bundesliga echo with the way the club have hammered ticket prices down. The crammed stadium must be helping to create a bandwagon effect with the team buoyed by a full house which is up for it at the start of every home game. This also seems to have helped create a sense of momentum.

This is in contrast to a sharp sense of drift here which a fellow poster mentioned a few weeks back. We seem to be trading the business rather than developing the business. Our owner outlined a long term plan for the club recently, but connecting that with the detailed reality of what we are being offered is presently a struggle.

I like the line about trading the business, rather than developing it.
There is a sense in almost everything the club does off the pitch that it is about ticking a box, making sure they do exactly what they need to maintain that revenue, no value in speculating to develop it further.
The programme for me is a perfect example. There is little thought to invention and offering something that might be of value, it is simply about following the standard pattern to fill the requisite number of pages and ensuring they have something so they can capture that revenue stream. Each year, the features/style is almost identikit (thats no disrepect to those working on it, who clearly have a tough job with limited resources).
Yet, buy a programme at an away club and you often come across features or strategies that represent a club trying something different- and its often reflective of that clubs ethos too. Huddersfield tried to follow the German model a couple of years ago and sell a newspaper style programme cheaply. I dont know that it was popular, but it was a club trying to engage (in my experience, german clubs dont sell programmes but issue a paper newspaper with teamsheets etc, for free).
Food is the same. The club regularly seem to run out of stock (which is beyond me when we are talking about dried hot drinks) and fairly limited in variety, despite the continual comments of the club that they are working more closely with the vendors etc.
Ticket pricing strategy falls into similar category also, as you mention. Whilst the kids ticket prices at PR are decent, beyond that its just about setting the price high and hoping people still keep coming.
Half-time entertainment is reduced to nothing.
There is no invention around the games themselves, to try and set a theme, or a fan giveaway or anything that might represent a change of approach.

Maybe Im wrong. Maybe the club have done extensive research and decided that the current setup is the best, that football fans are pretty traditional and dont like change. That if they change the programme, they wont get any new sales, but might lose some of the current buyers.

But even so, we are never the ones trying something inventive.
I recall a couple of years ago seeing a couple of fans complaining about the club shop not being open before/after working hours. The response was that the research suggested that it wouldnt be worthwhile. Id like to see the club try these things though- try closing at 7pm, see what happens. Do they sell more between 10-12pm or 5pm-7pm? Does that influence the hours they open? Etc etc.
Opposition on 14:12 - Jan 22 with 1325 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Opposition on 11:53 - Jan 22 by DinnernotTea

I'm pretty certain we have a spent more than £3.5m in McCarthy's time here. Biggest myth in football that he hasn't had money. I would absolutely love to know the loan fees alone in the last 4 years. Difference is Wagner isn't signing more than 70 players in 4 years, majority of which will add absolutely nothing to the long term future of this football club.

'Biggest myth in football that he hasn't had money'

Are you Evans?

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Opposition on 15:01 - Jan 22 with 1250 viewsFramfarmer

Opposition on 14:12 - Jan 22 by The_Romford_Blue

Are you Evans?

you're a nice bunch up there.... we're similar clubs, blue and white - both of us won FA cup once in the past, both clubs won the league in the distant pre-Premier league past.....
what we need however is to send our Yorkshireman manager back to Barnsley where he belongs!
Opposition on 15:09 - Jan 22 with 1246 viewsGarv

Opposition on 12:24 - Jan 22 by olimar

Nobody has said he hasnt had money. The discussion is about whether he has had enough, relative to other clubs.
Based on that appraisal from Huddersfield, we have spent less in 4 years than Huddersfield have in a year.
Transfer fees-
Mings 10k
Sears 200k
Knudsen 300k
Ward 600k
Webster 750k
Moore 10k

Thats pretty much every player we have spent money on in the last 4 years.
If you want to go down the avenue of loan fees etc, then also worth adding in the loan fees that cover those loanees Huddersfield are playing too.
Fulham are loaning Chris Martin from Derby, Vydra was loaned to Reading last year, both probably more than for all our loanees combined.

Then factor in the sales of Mings £8m, Cresswell £5m and rising, Murphy £3m and it gives a bit more balance.

I think Mick hasnt used the resources hes been given very well, and there are definitely question to answer in that regard.
But at least make the questions balanced.

Wordsworth 150-200k. There must be more.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Opposition on 15:19 - Jan 22 with 1222 viewsolimar

Opposition on 15:09 - Jan 22 by Garv

Wordsworth 150-200k. There must be more.

Yeah think he was 100k. Good point, he was always overlooked in the stuff about 10k Mings being all we had spent. Mostly because he had left by then, I guess.
Opposition on 15:46 - Jan 22 with 1191 viewsbraveblue

Opposition on 11:10 - Jan 22 by Guthrum

You say 'not a lot' - maybe compared with the likes of Newcastle, Derby and Villa. But that's a damn sight more than we've spent in three times as long as Wagner's been with you.

Not to knock him as a manager, he's doing a great job in keeping you up there.

Less than we got for Murphy!! Get a grip.
Opposition on 19:46 - Jan 22 with 1034 viewsDinnernotTea

Opposition on 14:12 - Jan 22 by The_Romford_Blue

Are you Evans?

Are you stupid?

Beware of The Ipswich Cabbages

Login to get fewer ads

Opposition on 19:51 - Jan 22 with 1027 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Opposition on 19:46 - Jan 22 by DinnernotTea

Are you stupid?

Naa. I'm about average mental capacity I'd say.

Evans giving mick a tiny budget isn't a myth though. It's a budget that means without working miracles, we should be between 14th and 16th. Phil has said too he would expect us to be in the lower half budget wise

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Opposition on 23:44 - Jan 22 with 865 viewsRyorry

Opposition on 11:13 - Jan 22 by HarryfromBath

Thanks for popping up on here, Rubicon, and all the very best for the rest of the season.

The contrast between our two clubs seems to be between that yours is a club with a plan and a sense of direction both on and off the field and one which is being delivered. Wagner has a clear footballing philosophy and style of play, and he seems to have moved into the squad building as opposed to the team building phase.

Off the field, it looks from the outside that there is a Bundesliga echo with the way the club have hammered ticket prices down. The crammed stadium must be helping to create a bandwagon effect with the team buoyed by a full house which is up for it at the start of every home game. This also seems to have helped create a sense of momentum.

This is in contrast to a sharp sense of drift here which a fellow poster mentioned a few weeks back. We seem to be trading the business rather than developing the business. Our owner outlined a long term plan for the club recently, but connecting that with the detailed reality of what we are being offered is presently a struggle.

Wouldn't it be great if ME read this, took it in, and learned from it?

If only.

We can but dream

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024