Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) 15:50 - Feb 7 with 7336 viewsKeno

Poll: IF TWTD was a constituency who'd you vote for?
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 19:23 - Feb 7 with 1264 viewsGlasgowBlue

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 19:19 - Feb 7 by BlueBadger

Yeah, it's pretty scary how he's nailed The Donald, there.

http://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/395470/3484763/love-this-tv-listing-for-trumps-inaug

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 20:34 - Feb 7 with 1202 viewsfactual_blue

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 19:09 - Feb 7 by Illinoisblue

one man's whataboutery is another man's highlighting of hypocrisy.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/john-bercow-criticises-china-as-he

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 20:37 - Feb 7 with 1207 viewsBinner

(I haven't read pages two and three of this thread)

If Bercow is able to prevent the American charlatan from even more ego massaging then I'm glad.

As for the 'whataboutery' as exemplified by Stokie early on page 1; as arguments go it is weak and irrelevant.

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 20:51 - Feb 7 with 1175 viewseireblue

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 19:09 - Feb 7 by Illinoisblue

one man's whataboutery is another man's highlighting of hypocrisy.

Although, I think it can be argued there is a difference.

America, under Trump, could be perceived to be taking a backward step.

China, as an example, could be perceived as a country taking a forward step.

We are supposed to deal and trade with China and Middle East countries, e.g. by selling weapons, as a way to engage, and by using diplomacy, to help effect change.

So Trump goes on the naughty step, China gets a little reward.

Of course the other country Theresa was in a hurry to visit was Turkey, which is also taking backward steps vis-a-vis democracy, rule of law, LGBT etc, but she still wanted to make sure they had enough jet fighters and trade from the UK, after a few stern words of course.

All quite funny in a non-funny way really.
John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 21:40 - Feb 7 with 1136 viewsNo9

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 16:52 - Feb 7 by GlasgowBlue

Trump coming to address either house was never on the table until Bercow made it an issue.

As the speaker of the house he has a duty to make a point on behalf of parliament.

Why don't you take a real look at what TRmo & his cronies are doing?
John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 21:48 - Feb 7 with 1118 viewsNo9

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 18:20 - Feb 7 by StokieBlue

It's a picture so it must be true!

SB
[Post edited 7 Feb 2017 18:21]

I can't find a compelling argument against that can you?

We all know about the Vatican

There is overwhelming evidence against the finacial services in the City of London

Who would argue the American try to control the world from Washington?

Ce'st la vie
John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 22:19 - Feb 7 with 1092 viewsStokieBlue

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 20:37 - Feb 7 by Binner

(I haven't read pages two and three of this thread)

If Bercow is able to prevent the American charlatan from even more ego massaging then I'm glad.

As for the 'whataboutery' as exemplified by Stokie early on page 1; as arguments go it is weak and irrelevant.

I don't think it's whataboutery at all - the subject of the thread is a question on Bercow's actions and to highlight past actions is fully in context of answering the question.

Or should we not examine past actions when looking at the rights and wrongs of a subject like this?

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 22:32 - Feb 7 with 1081 viewsBinner

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 22:19 - Feb 7 by StokieBlue

I don't think it's whataboutery at all - the subject of the thread is a question on Bercow's actions and to highlight past actions is fully in context of answering the question.

Or should we not examine past actions when looking at the rights and wrongs of a subject like this?

SB

Whether earlier actions, by Bercow or previous Speakers, were right or wrong should have no bearing on this decision. It should be made on its own merits.

Login to get fewer ads

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 10:52 - Feb 8 with 1007 viewsThe_Last_Baron

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 15:54 - Feb 7 by BlueBadger

Frankly, there haven't been enough Speakers(Bercow included) willing to speak up about the various disgusting individuals that various Prime Minsters have seen fit to invite over the years.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2017 16:05]

The speakers in both the Common and Lords are supposed to be neutral. That's a viral part of the gig. If you don't understand that you are either thick, ignorant or both.

He should resign.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 13:11 - Feb 8 with 956 viewsWeWereZombies

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 10:52 - Feb 8 by The_Last_Baron

The speakers in both the Common and Lords are supposed to be neutral. That's a viral part of the gig. If you don't understand that you are either thick, ignorant or both.

He should resign.

Perhaps he thought May had been bullied into offering Trump a chance to speak to the House (and a state visit) and he was restoring neutrality, perhaps he thinks the offer has been made too hastily and is concerned that due process has not been served (to police this is part of his duties). Even though he is a Tory I don't think Bercow is particularly thick or ignorant, although he did unwittingly provide some light relief when it is reported he phoned up a Tory MP who has misbehaved in the HoC:

Bercow: 'I'm not happy'
MP: 'Oh, which one of the seven dwarfs are you then?'

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 15:45 - Feb 8 with 926 viewsBinner

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 10:52 - Feb 8 by The_Last_Baron

He should resign.

Firstly: Nobody is required to be neutral on matters of racism or misogyny (Bercow's stated reasons for not wanting to host Trump in our parliament).

Secondly: Your attitude stinks. Anybody who disagrees with you is "either thick, ignorant or both". You are obviously an AH.

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 16:41 - Feb 8 with 896 viewsGlasgowBlue

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 15:45 - Feb 8 by Binner

Firstly: Nobody is required to be neutral on matters of racism or misogyny (Bercow's stated reasons for not wanting to host Trump in our parliament).

Secondly: Your attitude stinks. Anybody who disagrees with you is "either thick, ignorant or both". You are obviously an AH.

Has former Monday Club member, Bercow, got rid of all his "Hang Mandela" T-Shirts?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 16:45 - Feb 8 with 880 viewsBinner

John Bercow - right or wrong to say what he did about Trump? (n/t) on 16:41 - Feb 8 by GlasgowBlue

Has former Monday Club member, Bercow, got rid of all his "Hang Mandela" T-Shirts?

I've no idea. If I bump into him* I'll ask.

* = extremely unlikely...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024