Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Has Mick won everyone over yet 08:48 - Feb 19 with 7541 viewsBluefish

Or are the modern fans still demanding a change?

We have repeatedly been told the following need to change and them they will support him

Entertaining football
Change the formation
Stop playing Douglas
Pick the young full backs
Change the midfield
Be less direct
Move chambers to the middle
Make us hard to beat
Get the feel good factor back

He has done everything that could be asked of him despite the requirements changing regularly but I expect there will be new requirements or it will be claimed as too late. The fact is these fans don't care about those things they just want a change because that is what happens in modern football. Keeping the manager is old school and not I line with the desperation for Premier league football at all costs.

Mick has turned us round after a horror show of a season with injuries. Yes he has been stubborn at times but he has pulled us thorough it and we look good.

Ups and down, thick and thin

Believe!

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 16:45 - Feb 19 with 1465 viewsParmigiano

We've had a squad since the start of the season that called out for 3-5-2 (four good CB's and no wingers) yet we carried on playing a rigid 4-4-2 with tactics based on a striker we no longer own. Too little, too late for me.
Has Mick won everyone over yet on 16:46 - Feb 19 with 1464 viewsNo9

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 16:26 - Feb 19 by peterleeblue

This is not a negative post but crikey are we really playing that well? I'm remote and rely on the occasional Northern game and TV matches to make my opinion so happy to stand corrected BUT....
The reaction on here would indicate 5 straight wins, now be on the fringes of the playoffs with a squad that we can call our own. The reality is actually somewhat different. Win, Lose or draw next week our season is effectively over, the players we have on loan are simply playing for their futures there is no guarantee they will be with us next season. This sorry stay in this division may yet go on for years to come. I welcome the positivity and actually want Mick to stay but there is a long way to go before we can start to celebrate any sort of success. In fact what I would give to experience what Millwall, Lincoln or even Oxford (at 2-2) enjoyed yesterday. I look forward to the Norwich game to see at first hand this turn around everyone speaks of.

Yep, which is why the re-build should start now if it hasn't already started.
There are however signs MM would, prefer to go backwards.
I am not yet convinced he has changed his mind & we may well fidn out the players who have come in to make things work are said to be "Too Expensive"
Has Mick won everyone over yet on 16:51 - Feb 19 with 1463 viewsMullet

Let's be honest who cares?

There are those constantly rewriting their position and thoughts by the day, as this thread only proves.

I'm very concerned we lose Mick in the summer, and his nous and craft in keeping us going will be bigger than losing any player.

Some bloke was claiming yesterday on RS this was exactly what he wanted. Grant Ward struggled in the middle at Rotherham by and large, and has as expected had a season of peaks and troughs. You can tell that the lack of midfielders available has really hit us.

The idea anyone wanted Knudsen at CB is so laughable it's unreal. Let alone the pleasing rise of the young full backs being coloured by a few pretending they've not made significant progress since last season or had some wobbly moments just like Ward et al.

Also gone very quiet on the Dozzell front I notice. Not that it wouldn't be lovely to see him finally blossom at the tail end of the season, maybe starting with a sub appearance Sunday?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 16:56 - Feb 19 with 1449 viewsNo9

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 16:51 - Feb 19 by Mullet

There are those constantly rewriting their position and thoughts by the day, as this thread only proves.

I'm very concerned we lose Mick in the summer, and his nous and craft in keeping us going will be bigger than losing any player.

Some bloke was claiming yesterday on RS this was exactly what he wanted. Grant Ward struggled in the middle at Rotherham by and large, and has as expected had a season of peaks and troughs. You can tell that the lack of midfielders available has really hit us.

The idea anyone wanted Knudsen at CB is so laughable it's unreal. Let alone the pleasing rise of the young full backs being coloured by a few pretending they've not made significant progress since last season or had some wobbly moments just like Ward et al.

Also gone very quiet on the Dozzell front I notice. Not that it wouldn't be lovely to see him finally blossom at the tail end of the season, maybe starting with a sub appearance Sunday?

I posted sometime ago that Knudsen should get a run out in the No6 slot instead of the incumbent for that position
When MM was questioned on RS about that he clains he always new Knus=dsen could play in that position
The question MM needed to be asked was simple = if you knew this with Berra;s for so questionable why didn't you try the swap out of choice instead of waitng for circumstances to force it?

It does from the innocent punters point of view that MM will do noting unless forced
Has Mick won everyone over yet on 16:58 - Feb 19 with 1448 viewsReuser_is_God

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 16:51 - Feb 19 by Mullet

I think that ever since we've gone 3 at the back that people have said Knudsen would be a better CB than WB.

Him & Ward are very similar in that they can play centrally in a 3 but not a 2.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 17:07 - Feb 19 with 1428 viewsMullet

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 16:58 - Feb 19 by Reuser_is_God

I think that ever since we've gone 3 at the back that people have said Knudsen would be a better CB than WB.

Him & Ward are very similar in that they can play centrally in a 3 but not a 2.

There's no way Knudsen should be a WB and only has been because of injuries.

Same with the 3 at the back, it was Mick doing the best with what he's had available. With the run going as it is, there's been far more factors at play.

Jonas is more than good enough as a traditional left back. As ever, the issue being the balance of the midfield all season and lack of bodies, you can see that with the arrival of Huws and Diagouraga.

Had we not had to rely on Douglas so much we'd have been improved across the season and the side.

If you compare getting ripped apart by Derby, to the way in which we countered Villa the system itself isn't as effective as when we completely stifled PNE, who ran their whole game through McGeady as he was giving Emmanuel a torrid time.

We're muddling through in terms of style and results and the mix is undoubtedly improving because we've got the depth and freshness we've missed for so long. However if we had everyone fit, I can't believe we'd see the side line up as it is right now.

The personnel and approach lends itself much better to 433 or variants of 442, especially as it would mean teams aren't getting within sight of goal so consistently and the backline having to play that much deeper, so often.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Has Mick won everyone over yet (n/t) on 17:42 - Feb 19 with 1401 viewsSuperfrans

Has Mick won everyone over yet (n/t) on 15:27 - Feb 19 by No9

You really don't think MM's hand has been forced to do what we are seeing now?

Nope.

I think you fall into the trap of believing players are manufactured to play in pre-defined roles, just one position and no other, as if it's some kind of computer game - when actually they're human beings who perform according to the roles they are in, the players around them (as well as mood, form, fitness momentum to) etc.

Skuse has played much better with Diagouraga alongside him, and in a 3 (when he's rarely, if ever played that way). McGoldrick has looked like a different player with Lawrence to play off of. Ward has looked much more effective to the right of a midfield 3 players etc etc.

McCarthy has been trying to find the right blend with the players at his disposal, without being able to buy exactly the player we need in each position because of the financial limits he's working under. He's now finding that right blend with the players we have.

Sadly, of course, only some of us seem willing to accept, embrace and celebrate that.

Cheer up fella, it's Sunday afternoon.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 17:50 - Feb 19 with 1382 viewsSuperfrans

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 16:26 - Feb 19 by peterleeblue

This is not a negative post but crikey are we really playing that well? I'm remote and rely on the occasional Northern game and TV matches to make my opinion so happy to stand corrected BUT....
The reaction on here would indicate 5 straight wins, now be on the fringes of the playoffs with a squad that we can call our own. The reality is actually somewhat different. Win, Lose or draw next week our season is effectively over, the players we have on loan are simply playing for their futures there is no guarantee they will be with us next season. This sorry stay in this division may yet go on for years to come. I welcome the positivity and actually want Mick to stay but there is a long way to go before we can start to celebrate any sort of success. In fact what I would give to experience what Millwall, Lincoln or even Oxford (at 2-2) enjoyed yesterday. I look forward to the Norwich game to see at first hand this turn around everyone speaks of.

We really are playing much better. Seriously.

It's a combination of introducing a driving, box-to-box MFer in Huws, a really strong CMFer in Diagouraga, a back 3/5 formation which allows us to use all of our our central defensive strength and a partnership between McGoldrick and Lawrence. The momentum continued into yesterday, despite the unavailability of Diagouraga and Lawrence.

It's crazy to say it, but we look an entirely different team to a month ago.

Login to get fewer ads

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 17:54 - Feb 19 with 1379 viewsSuperfrans

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 16:21 - Feb 19 by Pilgrimblue

Because like some here I think Mick will be off "by mutual consent". His hand has been forced by fans/injuries/results until QPR away when he at last went 352 (much appreciated by us who were there!). His attitude to fans hasn't been good and I can't see him changing as he might have to accept that he was wrong (too stubborn for that).
Rowett would be a good replacement, bearing in mind what has happened to Brum since he was sacked!

He won't, I'm sure of it. If we continue to progress as we have, he'll stay. He's much happier now than he was. I think he was struggling a few weeks ago but can now see a team developing, we're playing our way out of it.

The way we're playing at the moment, with this team, we're play off contenders. We are watching the second excellent team of Mick's reign coming together, the third if you include the temporary team of 2012/13.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2017 17:56]

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 18:00 - Feb 19 with 1367 viewsnodge_blue

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 09:15 - Feb 19 by textbackup

Skuse, Berra.... Good god don't you follow?

Im not sure that injuries forced us to go 3-5-2. if anything you could say that not having centre halves (Smith, berra, webster) would have made it less likely to go 3-5-2.

I think Mick deserves credit.

And on Saturday he said he picked Sears rather than Moore to keep us passing rather than go to direct.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 18:04 - Feb 19 with 1366 viewsPJH

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 17:50 - Feb 19 by Superfrans

We really are playing much better. Seriously.

It's a combination of introducing a driving, box-to-box MFer in Huws, a really strong CMFer in Diagouraga, a back 3/5 formation which allows us to use all of our our central defensive strength and a partnership between McGoldrick and Lawrence. The momentum continued into yesterday, despite the unavailability of Diagouraga and Lawrence.

It's crazy to say it, but we look an entirely different team to a month ago.

As I have said on this or another thread I think that we have been playing well more often than not from the Wigan game onwards-admittedly when it has been 'not' it has been pretty poor.
We have played well in the last 4 games and in 5 of the last 6.
Things are much brighter now and I hope that the upturn both on the pitch and in the stands will convince MM that next season could be good for all of us.
Has Mick won everyone over yet on 18:22 - Feb 19 with 1339 viewsSuperfrans

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 18:04 - Feb 19 by PJH

As I have said on this or another thread I think that we have been playing well more often than not from the Wigan game onwards-admittedly when it has been 'not' it has been pretty poor.
We have played well in the last 4 games and in 5 of the last 6.
Things are much brighter now and I hope that the upturn both on the pitch and in the stands will convince MM that next season could be good for all of us.

I think the difference in recent matches is that it has been coming together more consistently. The thing I found most encouraging yesterday was the fact that we played that way while missing two of the key newcomers - Diagouraga and Lawrence.

We shouldn't underestimate hat we've achieved - against three Top 6 teams, we've competed and could have won all of then.

Some Of us feared we'd struggle to pick up more than a couple of points - we've secured 6 points and still have budgie s to play.

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 18:31 - Feb 19 with 1332 viewsHerbivore

Despite the perception that I've always been a staunch Mick supporter my view for the past few months has been that he should go at the end of the season, I'd lost faith that he could still take us forward. However, I do now feel that if we continue as we have been he should stay. All season he's looked to build a new side imo but, despite the odd good performance, it hasn't really worked. The balance hasn't been quite right and we've been wildly inconsistent.

Now, with a few good additions in January, we seem to have put the pieces together and have the makings of a good side. We seem to be much more solid again whilst clearly carrying more of a threat going forward. We seem to have found an identity and a clear way of playing. Mick seems happier, the players seem happier, the fans are turning back again. If we keep this up we'd be mad to lose Mick in the summer and I'd hope ME might even back him to bring in a couple of quality signings, he's shown he has an eye for a player.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 18:39 - Feb 19 with 1315 viewsLankHenners

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 18:31 - Feb 19 by Herbivore

Despite the perception that I've always been a staunch Mick supporter my view for the past few months has been that he should go at the end of the season, I'd lost faith that he could still take us forward. However, I do now feel that if we continue as we have been he should stay. All season he's looked to build a new side imo but, despite the odd good performance, it hasn't really worked. The balance hasn't been quite right and we've been wildly inconsistent.

Now, with a few good additions in January, we seem to have put the pieces together and have the makings of a good side. We seem to be much more solid again whilst clearly carrying more of a threat going forward. We seem to have found an identity and a clear way of playing. Mick seems happier, the players seem happier, the fans are turning back again. If we keep this up we'd be mad to lose Mick in the summer and I'd hope ME might even back him to bring in a couple of quality signings, he's shown he has an eye for a player.

Pretty much how I feel - had thought we should move on as it looked like we weren't going to trouble the top 6, there's a sense of disconnect between Mick/Evans and the fans, and a change might give us the freshening up we need.

However, the one doubt in that plan I had in my mind is why would Evans suddenly back a new manager when he hasn't backed the one man who has earned it? We're looking quite good now and if we can keep this kind of consistency to the end of the season then Mick should be banging on Evans' door demanding funds for the summer window as he's proved he can do a decent job (this 2nd half of the season and obviously the last 3 full ones) on a tight budget, now he needs a bit more to play with.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 18:52 - Feb 19 with 1287 viewsClausThomsen

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 18:39 - Feb 19 by LankHenners

Pretty much how I feel - had thought we should move on as it looked like we weren't going to trouble the top 6, there's a sense of disconnect between Mick/Evans and the fans, and a change might give us the freshening up we need.

However, the one doubt in that plan I had in my mind is why would Evans suddenly back a new manager when he hasn't backed the one man who has earned it? We're looking quite good now and if we can keep this kind of consistency to the end of the season then Mick should be banging on Evans' door demanding funds for the summer window as he's proved he can do a decent job (this 2nd half of the season and obviously the last 3 full ones) on a tight budget, now he needs a bit more to play with.

The second half of this season? We've won twice in 2017. We've played well for 4 matches.

We've got Norwich on Sunday and then a relatively easy run of games till the end of the season. A perfect opportunity for Mick to win the fans back. He can't afford another blip this season, and he's got no more excuses.
Has Mick won everyone over yet on 18:54 - Feb 19 with 1275 viewsLankHenners

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 18:52 - Feb 19 by ClausThomsen

The second half of this season? We've won twice in 2017. We've played well for 4 matches.

We've got Norwich on Sunday and then a relatively easy run of games till the end of the season. A perfect opportunity for Mick to win the fans back. He can't afford another blip this season, and he's got no more excuses.

As in the upturn in form since the start of the year plus a hope that we continue it to the end of the season. We've played well for more than 4 matches don't make things up.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 19:03 - Feb 19 with 1263 viewsitfcjoe

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 15:00 - Feb 19 by ClausThomsen

Who plays wide right? Ask Mick - we went into the season with only Grant Ward able to play there (and it seems he's much better suited to central midfield - where he was playing for Rotherham). Like I said, if the squad only has one player that can play a position then that's the manager's fault.

Bru, Bishop or Dozzell could play in Huws spot, even Lawrence could play there in a 3 - all options available to MM for most of the season.

Mick himself stated that Emmanuel and Kenlock were first team players he could rely upon, Spence has been available since his trial.

I'd love to know what Mick's plan was for this season, the squad was unbalanced before Murphy left. I don't think he had a first XI until he'd seen the other team play, then he works on "matching up" and picking the XI players that have the most busted nuts from training. It's been a good month but far too many months before it have been pure drivel. There's no excuses for Mick, he's an experienced manager.

According to WhoScored.com, Ward played CM for Rotherham 8 times out of 33 starts last year.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 19:05 - Feb 19 with 1255 viewsitfcjoe

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 09:04 - Feb 19 by ClausThomsen

It's one month - if it lasts till the end of the season then fair enough.

But this is still the same experienced managed that has spent the last 2 seasons "matching up" to and failing to create chances against the poorest of opposition, when we could have been playing round pegs in round holes all that time. The same manager that was outwitted by a PE teacher over 2 legs...

It's too little, too late. And I don't trust it will last.

Those PE teachers seem to be outwitting everyone

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 19:07 - Feb 19 with 1245 viewspowinswitch

He's not won me back, but I do applaud him for the significant upturn in our style and performance since the Derby debacle. The 4th debacle since Boxing Day, and probably the 14th month of setting up to not lose. I feel that the remainder of this season should define his future from our standpoint (he will have his own views of course). Let's see what team, tactics, formation he uses when he has more options, and how we play. I think that's fair, as the cynic in me doesn't believe he knows any way other than setting up to not concede. Prove me wrong Mick.
Has Mick won everyone over yet on 20:09 - Feb 19 with 1196 viewsSuperfrans

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 18:39 - Feb 19 by LankHenners

It's the difficulty with deciding a manager should go in 3/4 months time, without fail - that he might start to prompt an improvement, the momentum which is always so difficult to regain, once lost. The other way of looking at it is that you give a manager 3/4 months to sort things out, knowing that now (January, in this case) is not the right time.

If we continue as we are, maintain the momentum and see Huws, Diagouraga, Spence continuing to play as they are, we'd be crazy to send Mick on his way in the summer.

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 20:45 - Feb 19 with 1173 viewsClausThomsen

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 19:05 - Feb 19 by itfcjoe

Those PE teachers seem to be outwitting everyone

Perfect candidates to take over in the summer then.
Has Mick won everyone over yet on 21:38 - Feb 19 with 1128 viewstractorshark

He's won me back over.
I've supported Mick pretty much through thick and thin but Lincoln left me seething.
Then came deadline day and it became clear that although Mick has faults, the problems lie predominantly with the owner and his lack of investment.
Unless he is going to back a new guy with more money, I can't see anyone faring better than Mick.
And the last few games have filled me with more optimism.
Has Mick won everyone over yet on 21:52 - Feb 19 with 1118 viewssuperfan

Not yet, probably never. I am grateful that he has changed his ways, but why did it take so long. Even before the Lincoln nightmare, he still wasn't for turning. I think the low point for me of being an Ipswich fan was that Lincoln replay. He had no choice after that but to change. Had we won that game 0-1 then I think he would still be playing the negative football of before. Is he the right man to take us up? No. Is he the right man for Ipswich Town? No. Will he revert to type when we lose a couple, definitely. Although I am happy with the change in style, I do not think the man is for changing long term. I will continue to back him while he plays a better brand of football, but do I want him to continue as Ipswich manager? No. I am not one of the modern types you refer to.
Has Mick won everyone over yet on 23:01 - Feb 19 with 1096 viewsTrequartista

one win in 8

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Has Mick won everyone over yet on 00:13 - Feb 20 with 1076 viewsharlingblue

What I found good in the game against Leeds (our best footballing performance this season IMO) was that MM kept faith with the system that is proving successful on and off the pitch. Despite having talisman Lawrence suspended, Diagouraga (club tied), the squad selected only had Huws that is on loan from another club. The players brought in during the transfer window have given a new zest to the club, they haven't cost millions, but look like our scouting system have upped their game.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024