Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Spring is on the way! 20:15 - Feb 22 with 4057 viewsDubtractor

Forget storm Doris, I've just seen 2 frogs, 4 toads, and a newt in the garden.

I get really happy at the prospect of spring and will take any encouragement that it is incoming.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Spring is on the way! on 20:20 - Feb 22 with 1766 viewsBluebell

I have primroses and snowdrops out in my garden. The daffodils will open soon too.

Not seen any frogs yet although I always get loads of frog spawn in my pond.

I love spring!
Spring is on the way! on 20:24 - Feb 22 with 1753 viewsjeera

Spring is on the way! on 20:20 - Feb 22 by Bluebell

I have primroses and snowdrops out in my garden. The daffodils will open soon too.

I love spring!

Been a mild few days.

And the light!

Why I'm still surprised after all these years at the daylight hours getting longer I'm not sure.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Spring is on the way! on 20:35 - Feb 22 with 1717 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

My favourite annual nature moment....and I know it's more a sign of summer arriving rather than spring....is when our resident swift returns to our loose tile after its flight from South Africa.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Spring is on the way! on 21:08 - Feb 22 with 1677 viewsgerard1947

Spring is on the way! on 20:35 - Feb 22 by BanksterDebtSlave

My favourite annual nature moment....and I know it's more a sign of summer arriving rather than spring....is when our resident swift returns to our loose tile after its flight from South Africa.

What a bird the swift is. It can fly up to 3 million miles in its lifetime, the equivalent of flying to the moon and back several times.

When a baby swift leaves the nest it will probably fly without landing for a year or so. When your swift family leaves your loose tile they will be on the wing until coming back next year. They feed, drink, sleep and mate on the wing only landing to build their nest.

Incredible or what.
Spring is on the way! on 21:27 - Feb 22 with 1637 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Spring is on the way! on 21:08 - Feb 22 by gerard1947

What a bird the swift is. It can fly up to 3 million miles in its lifetime, the equivalent of flying to the moon and back several times.

When a baby swift leaves the nest it will probably fly without landing for a year or so. When your swift family leaves your loose tile they will be on the wing until coming back next year. They feed, drink, sleep and mate on the wing only landing to build their nest.

Incredible or what.

They are superb aren't they....I believe that the eggs and young can go into a form of stasis when the adults have to fly off ahead of weather systems. We put up boxes and callers last year which got some interest so hoping for more breeding pairs this year.

Spring is on the way! on 21:35 - Feb 22 with 1613 viewsgerard1947

Spring is on the way! on 21:27 - Feb 22 by BanksterDebtSlave

They are superb aren't they....I believe that the eggs and young can go into a form of stasis when the adults have to fly off ahead of weather systems. We put up boxes and callers last year which got some interest so hoping for more breeding pairs this year.

That's right, the young can go without food for several days when mum and dad are away.

Swifts have been spotted by aircraft taking a nap at 10 thousand feet.

All from a tiny bird only weighing a few grams.
Spring is on the way! on 21:44 - Feb 22 with 1587 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Spring is on the way! on 21:35 - Feb 22 by gerard1947

That's right, the young can go without food for several days when mum and dad are away.

Swifts have been spotted by aircraft taking a nap at 10 thousand feet.

All from a tiny bird only weighing a few grams.

Thanks for that.....simple pleasures !

Spring is on the way! on 21:52 - Feb 22 with 1575 viewsgerard1947

Spring is on the way! on 21:44 - Feb 22 by BanksterDebtSlave

Thanks for that.....simple pleasures !

Simple pleasures indeed...
Login to get fewer ads

Spring is on the way! on 23:00 - Feb 22 with 1528 viewsRyorry

Love it, and starts for me on 22nd Dec. when the afternoon/evening light starts drawing out again; then snowdrops start peeking through (even thru snow, as they have specially hardened tips which allow them to do that). Then daffy bulbs planted last autumn start coming through, and you have all of spring and summer to look forward to - wonderful!

No frogspawn or toadspawn in new garden sadly - old house had pond with loads every spring.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Spring is on the way! on 23:13 - Feb 22 with 1508 viewsvapour_trail

Spring is on the way! on 20:20 - Feb 22 by Bluebell

I love spring!

My daffs opened today bluebell

#gardenofengland

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Spring is on the way! on 23:17 - Feb 22 with 1502 viewsMelford

I've got a load of gardening stuff from my mrs for xmas/birthday and I'm ready to get going. Up the Garden Centre next week to get all my vegetable plants in. Had a good haul last year for a first time growing veg, tomatoes, courgettes, aubergines, sweet peppers, chillis, broccoli (that got massacred by caterpillars though) Got given a load of "exotic" seeds which I'm going to try growing as well.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Spring is on the way! on 23:22 - Feb 22 with 1492 viewsjeera

Spring is on the way! on 23:17 - Feb 22 by Melford

I've got a load of gardening stuff from my mrs for xmas/birthday and I'm ready to get going. Up the Garden Centre next week to get all my vegetable plants in. Had a good haul last year for a first time growing veg, tomatoes, courgettes, aubergines, sweet peppers, chillis, broccoli (that got massacred by caterpillars though) Got given a load of "exotic" seeds which I'm going to try growing as well.

Sounds great.

Although cabbage butterflies can be a nightmare, they are defeatable.

Once I eventually got past those all my green stuff got wiped out by flea beetle.

Feckers.

Spring is on the way! on 23:23 - Feb 22 with 1486 viewsDubtractor

Spring is on the way! on 23:22 - Feb 22 by jeera

Sounds great.

Once I eventually got past those all my green stuff got wiped out by flea beetle.

Feckers.

I just don't bother with Brassicas. Too much effort too almost certainly be defeated - especially as I won't use chemicals.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Spring is on the way! on 23:33 - Feb 22 with 1475 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Spring is on the way! on 23:23 - Feb 22 by Dubtractor

I just don't bother with Brassicas. Too much effort too almost certainly be defeated - especially as I won't use chemicals.

You've got to do purple sprouting broccoli though surely....it'll be coming soon !

Spring is on the way! on 23:37 - Feb 22 with 1466 viewsjeera

Spring is on the way! on 23:23 - Feb 22 by Dubtractor

No I wont use chemicals either.

Especially after a chat we had a couple of years or so back on the matter.

But I've also been out there with yellow sheets of card and Vaseline, and, looking ridiculous aside, it didn't even bloody work!

Spring is on the way! on 23:49 - Feb 22 with 1448 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Spring is on the way! on 23:37 - Feb 22 by jeera

But I've also been out there with yellow sheets of card and Vaseline, and, looking ridiculous aside, it didn't even bloody work!

The heavy duty fleece, not the cloth stuff, is expensive but if used well will keep all flying things out. It's pricey but lasts years and years.

Spring is on the way! on 23:56 - Feb 22 with 1440 viewsjimsymBLUE

Spring is on the way! on 23:22 - Feb 22 by jeera

Sounds great.

Feckers.

Love practising my top spin forehand on those little feckers. The only time the Wilson pro gets any game time these days. Must of racked up almost thousands last summer.

Think the Mrs, not to mention the neighbours think I've gone a bit loopy when I'm prancing round the garden shouting 'have that ya little barsteward' come mid June mind.
So alternatively home made garlic spray tends to keep them at bay fairly well too.

Poll: Who is the better contributor to this site?

Spring is on the way! on 23:56 - Feb 22 with 1435 viewsMelford

Spring is on the way! on 23:37 - Feb 22 by jeera

I'll put down some slug pellets and that's it. I always go out in the morning and clear up the dead ones before the birds can get to them. I won't spray anything on the plants.

Spring is on the way! on 00:06 - Feb 23 with 1416 viewsjeera

Spring is on the way! on 23:56 - Feb 22 by Melford

I'll put down some slug pellets and that's it. I always go out in the morning and clear up the dead ones before the birds can get to them. I won't spray anything on the plants.

OK mate, but remember hedgehogs too.

Christ, I sound like Mary Poppins.

I don't like things to get hurt. Not innocent things anyway.

Spring is on the way! on 00:14 - Feb 23 with 1405 viewsMelford

Spring is on the way! on 00:06 - Feb 23 by jeera

OK mate, but remember hedgehogs too.

Christ, I sound like Mary Poppins.

I don't like things to get hurt. Not innocent things anyway.

I don't get hedgehogs. My Garden is basically a big patio, everything is in tubs and it's pretty enclosed. I only used the pellets the once, I came down one night and there were 20 odd slugs I found slithering their way to plant-land so I went nuclear.

Spring is on the way! on 00:17 - Feb 23 with 1399 viewsjeera

Spring is on the way! on 00:14 - Feb 23 by Melford

I don't get hedgehogs. My Garden is basically a big patio, everything is in tubs and it's pretty enclosed. I only used the pellets the once, I came down one night and there were 20 odd slugs I found slithering their way to plant-land so I went nuclear.

I sound sanctimonious anyway. Fair enough.

I tell what I did find useful against slugs et al when growing in tubs was to base them on some mix of shingle and sharp sand. They don't like the surface much.

Just saying. Bouncing ideas kinda thing.

Spring is on the way! on 06:10 - Feb 23 with 1309 viewsBenters

I love it at the mo working in my customers gardens seeing all the bulbs come through,and seeing the buds on the shrubs starting to open.

We are pushing towards spring and i love it .

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Spring is on the way! on 07:55 - Feb 23 with 1209 viewsgerard1947

Spring is on the way! on 23:49 - Feb 22 by BanksterDebtSlave

The heavy duty fleece, not the cloth stuff, is expensive but if used well will keep all flying things out. It's pricey but lasts years and years.

The stuff to get is scaffold net. It comes in various widths 1m - 4m and lengths up to 50m. I use it for brassicas, over my beans 'til they getting going and over my carrots buried round the edges to keep carrot fly out. It lasts for years, has a fine mesh that keeps out pretty much all of the bugs, birds, even mice if the edges are buried. It seems to keep in a bit of heat too so things grow better.
It's also pretty cheap to buy. I bought my first lot on eBay until I found the supplier was a couple of miles from where I live. I now get it direct.

I'm still eating sprouts, sprouting broccoli, parsnips, leeks, kale and carrots. I've got a 1/4 acre veggie plot so keep friends, family, neighbours going. Eary broad beans are up as is garlic. Leek seeds will be in the greenhouse this week.

What I do grow and sell are sunflowers. I've outlets at garages, village shops and garden centres. I use seeds intended for wild birds. A £1 pack grows all I need. If you try this make sure the seed is black, with husks.

Keeps me busy and fit!
Spring is on the way! on 08:16 - Feb 23 with 1183 viewsGeoffSentence

Spring is on the way! on 00:17 - Feb 23 by jeera

I sound sanctimonious anyway. Fair enough.

I tell what I did find useful against slugs et al when growing in tubs was to base them on some mix of shingle and sharp sand. They don't like the surface much.

Just saying. Bouncing ideas kinda thing.

Or get a duck. That way you can turn slugs into breakfast.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Spring is on the way! on 08:32 - Feb 23 with 1159 viewsgerard1947

Spring is on the way! on 08:16 - Feb 23 by GeoffSentence

Or get a duck. That way you can turn slugs into breakfast.

I rescued a couple of Muscovy ducks once, they trashed my pond, pooed like a bullock. The last straw was frogs, they would grab a leg each and whilst the poor creature dangled eat the legs. I found the ducks a new home!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024