Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
how much of a budget increase would it take 21:37 - Feb 27 with 8334 viewstaximan

to tempt MM to stay ?

diagouraga and huws would cost 2 mill combined ish ?

new striker 3 - 4 mill

replacement for lawrence ?
replacement for any other departees ?

unfortunately mr evans, this is not going to be a cheap fix, because of your under investment of the last few years the squad is hugely short of quality

i would like MM to be given the chance with proper money to spend

do i think the above will happen ?

unlikely
how much of a budget increase would it take on 07:21 - Feb 28 with 2677 viewsTLA

I wouldn't disagree with those suggestions for positions or costs, although we might pick up a decent striker for a little less in the summer. Danny Ward was one of our main targets and I think he's out of contract in the summer. Maybe £3-4m would get us two strikers, with Pitman leaving for a small fee and freeing wages.

I agree that it is unlikely we'll spend £6m+ but we certainly have the chance to under the new FFP rules, and after a few years of reduced losses through sales.

I quite like us keeping things sensible whilst football loses its head but without an investment like you suggest, I struggle to see a way forward, or what's in it for Evans.
how much of a budget increase would it take on 07:57 - Feb 28 with 2626 viewstaximan

how much of a budget increase would it take on 07:21 - Feb 28 by TLA

I wouldn't disagree with those suggestions for positions or costs, although we might pick up a decent striker for a little less in the summer. Danny Ward was one of our main targets and I think he's out of contract in the summer. Maybe £3-4m would get us two strikers, with Pitman leaving for a small fee and freeing wages.

I agree that it is unlikely we'll spend £6m+ but we certainly have the chance to under the new FFP rules, and after a few years of reduced losses through sales.

I quite like us keeping things sensible whilst football loses its head but without an investment like you suggest, I struggle to see a way forward, or what's in it for Evans.

it would have been much better to invest a few million every transfer window to gradually improve the quality of the squad
how much of a budget increase would it take on 08:06 - Feb 28 with 2610 viewsBluebell

As I have always said "better the devil you know". I really hope Mick stays.

I hope he is given more money to spend. The odd £10,000 here and there is never going to make us a Championship top team.

With the likes of either Sunderland, Palace, Hull, Boro and Swansea (maybe even Leicester) coming down at the end of the season, we will never be able to compete unless we have a good amount of money to spend on players.

Mick isn't stupid. He knows he could get a job at a team where money isn't a problem. Evans needs to realise this and start thinking of ways we can go forward.
how much of a budget increase would it take on 08:12 - Feb 28 with 2578 viewsTLA

how much of a budget increase would it take on 07:57 - Feb 28 by taximan

it would have been much better to invest a few million every transfer window to gradually improve the quality of the squad

It may well have been. I guess we had done that by paying OK wages and no fees for a while (Chambers, Berra, McGoldrick etc.) and it might have felt like that would continue. We've invested a little more in Knudsen, Sears, Ward and Webster.

We've also been developing our own players, which takes a while. We could easily play Smith, Kenlock, Emmanuel and Bishop regularly next season, with others around the match day squad.

But we are where we are and I agree that an healthy investment might see us improve significantly. If we can improve to overtake teams who spend eight figure sums on single players, we'll definitely be doing something right.
how much of a budget increase would it take on 08:12 - Feb 28 with 2575 viewstaximan

how much of a budget increase would it take on 08:06 - Feb 28 by Bluebell

I hope he is given more money to spend. The odd £10,000 here and there is never going to make us a Championship top team.

With the likes of either Sunderland, Palace, Hull, Boro and Swansea (maybe even Leicester) coming down at the end of the season, we will never be able to compete unless we have a good amount of money to spend on players.

Mick isn't stupid. He knows he could get a job at a team where money isn't a problem. Evans needs to realise this and start thinking of ways we can go forward.

spot on
how much of a budget increase would it take on 08:18 - Feb 28 with 2543 viewsTLA

how much of a budget increase would it take on 08:06 - Feb 28 by Bluebell

Your last paragraph is absolutely right.

Hopefully, now MIck has spoken openly about the budget required, it will force things. I just hope it forces ME to back him and not to get rid and start again. A new manager on a similar budget could see things get much worse than they've been in our darkest days under Mick.
how much of a budget increase would it take on 08:29 - Feb 28 with 2518 viewsBluebell

how much of a budget increase would it take on 08:18 - Feb 28 by TLA

Your last paragraph is absolutely right.

Hopefully, now MIck has spoken openly about the budget required, it will force things. I just hope it forces ME to back him and not to get rid and start again. A new manager on a similar budget could see things get much worse than they've been in our darkest days under Mick.

I also think Mick knows which players are good and available. People moaned in January that we weren't paying £10m for players like other teams were. Yet he's done pretty well this season with Lawrence, Webster, Huws, Spence and Diagouraga plus others we have not seen play yet.

ME had his fingers burnt with Keane and Jewell but he must realise that Mick isn't like them and, given the money, can do a lot more.

The first thing we need to do at the end of this season is have a good clear out of the players who aren't going to take us forward. Douglas and Coke being first on the list!
how much of a budget increase would it take on 08:37 - Feb 28 with 2485 viewsTLA

how much of a budget increase would it take on 08:29 - Feb 28 by Bluebell

I also think Mick knows which players are good and available. People moaned in January that we weren't paying £10m for players like other teams were. Yet he's done pretty well this season with Lawrence, Webster, Huws, Spence and Diagouraga plus others we have not seen play yet.

ME had his fingers burnt with Keane and Jewell but he must realise that Mick isn't like them and, given the money, can do a lot more.

The first thing we need to do at the end of this season is have a good clear out of the players who aren't going to take us forward. Douglas and Coke being first on the list!

I'll confess that the signings of Huws and Diagouraga so late in the window felt disappointing, but only because they were loans. If we can pick them up at the end of the season, that would be great. I don't mind a full season loan of a player to help with a promotion push (like Fraser and Lawrence) but any others who will never be permanent seem like a frustrating use of the budget.

With regards to your second point, if ME hasn't learnt to trust Mick now, he'll never trust any manager again. That would leave me wondering what's in in for him. People who know much more than me say that the tax offset stuff is not likely to be worthwhile so surely a small gamble is necessary to start getting his money back.

The clear-out is definitely needed - it feels like our biggest summer in a while.
Login to get fewer ads

how much of a budget increase would it take on 08:39 - Feb 28 with 2467 viewstaximan

how much of a budget increase would it take on 08:37 - Feb 28 by TLA

I'll confess that the signings of Huws and Diagouraga so late in the window felt disappointing, but only because they were loans. If we can pick them up at the end of the season, that would be great. I don't mind a full season loan of a player to help with a promotion push (like Fraser and Lawrence) but any others who will never be permanent seem like a frustrating use of the budget.

With regards to your second point, if ME hasn't learnt to trust Mick now, he'll never trust any manager again. That would leave me wondering what's in in for him. People who know much more than me say that the tax offset stuff is not likely to be worthwhile so surely a small gamble is necessary to start getting his money back.

The clear-out is definitely needed - it feels like our biggest summer in a while.

i hate loan signings

even season long loans annoy me

its just short termism, with no long term plan or strategy
how much of a budget increase would it take on 08:49 - Feb 28 with 2435 viewsTLA

how much of a budget increase would it take on 08:39 - Feb 28 by taximan

i hate loan signings

even season long loans annoy me

its just short termism, with no long term plan or strategy

Loans used to be with a view to a permanent signing, like Magilton and Clapham.

One season long loan that might push us from 7th-10th into the playoffs seems OK, as would one for the rest of the season in January if we were in a good position.

Other than that, I agree that I'd rather invest loan fees and wages into the long-term future of the club. I wonder if Lawrence would have been available to buy last summer and at what cost. He certainly won't be (to the likes of us) next season.
how much of a budget increase would it take on 09:00 - Feb 28 with 2399 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I reckon we could get Diags for £400,000 ish assuming monk is still there )you never know with that Leeds owner) as monk doesn't like his style at all.

Huws was bought for a million so I reckon £800,000 to £1m may do it

And then another 2.5m on top and I would reckon kick would stay.

But I agree with you. Evans won't do that.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

how much of a budget increase would it take on 09:03 - Feb 28 with 2383 viewsitfcjoe

Evans currently is putting in £500k a month and using transfer fees to limit those losses.

At the very least he needs to let all transfer fees stay in the pot - so if Mick generates some money from a sale that that money can be used.

Club currently turns over about £16m a year, if that increased to £20m and fees were able to be reinvested I reckon Mick could get us more competitive - but it is still an uphill struggle against parachute boys.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

how much of a budget increase would it take on 09:05 - Feb 28 with 2374 viewsoldbluestu

It's not the cost of the fee you need to think about but the cost of the wages. If you want a 20+ goals a season striker that's going to cost you £1m+ a year in wages
how much of a budget increase would it take on 09:08 - Feb 28 with 2360 viewsTLA

how much of a budget increase would it take on 09:00 - Feb 28 by The_Romford_Blue

I reckon we could get Diags for £400,000 ish assuming monk is still there )you never know with that Leeds owner) as monk doesn't like his style at all.

Huws was bought for a million so I reckon £800,000 to £1m may do it

And then another 2.5m on top and I would reckon kick would stay.

But I agree with you. Evans won't do that.

I thought Cardiff paid closer to £2m for Huws, although that may include clauses that haven't been triggered.

I'd also think Diagouraga might come at a little less than £400k, although I don't know what he cost Leeds. For both players, wages might also be an issue. If that £5-6m is way beyond us, we really are going to struggle.
how much of a budget increase would it take on 09:15 - Feb 28 with 2331 viewsTLA

how much of a budget increase would it take on 09:03 - Feb 28 by itfcjoe

Evans currently is putting in £500k a month and using transfer fees to limit those losses.

At the very least he needs to let all transfer fees stay in the pot - so if Mick generates some money from a sale that that money can be used.

Club currently turns over about £16m a year, if that increased to £20m and fees were able to be reinvested I reckon Mick could get us more competitive - but it is still an uphill struggle against parachute boys.

If Mick had a budget like you suggest and gets us in the playoffs, it shows his worth. I genuinely think he can get us closer than most could.

When I read about the way money is moved around the ME Group, I do wonder if they had more money to 'lose' in other strands when Mick took over, with the London Olympics on the horizon etc. If the business is not doing as well in other areas now, could that explain the smaller investment (and not directly re-investing all incoming fees) over the last couple of years? I know very little about this stuff - I dropped my economics A level (many years ago) after a few weeks as all we did was play monopoly!
how much of a budget increase would it take on 09:33 - Feb 28 with 2265 viewsClausThomsen

The 5 point plan said nothing about a big budget - and so it shouldn't!

If Mick thinks he can get a better job, good luck to him. Was anyone gagging for Royle to stay? No, because his reign had run it's course. Same with MM. They were both shackled financially.

MM's record in the transfer market is hit and miss at best, Wolves spent £35 million to find that out - look at the state of them since...

He'll just buy grafters, any "quality" players don't make his team. Quality players with the work ethic Mick demands are just too few and far between, and he doesn't know how to manage any other type of player but "nut-busters".

The good thing for the new manager is the solid base MM will leave. The new man will hopefully sprinkle a bit of quality and have a more footballing philosophy to carry on from the academy.
how much of a budget increase would it take on 09:34 - Feb 28 with 2255 viewsoldbluestu

how much of a budget increase would it take on 09:33 - Feb 28 by ClausThomsen

The 5 point plan said nothing about a big budget - and so it shouldn't!

If Mick thinks he can get a better job, good luck to him. Was anyone gagging for Royle to stay? No, because his reign had run it's course. Same with MM. They were both shackled financially.

MM's record in the transfer market is hit and miss at best, Wolves spent £35 million to find that out - look at the state of them since...

He'll just buy grafters, any "quality" players don't make his team. Quality players with the work ethic Mick demands are just too few and far between, and he doesn't know how to manage any other type of player but "nut-busters".

The good thing for the new manager is the solid base MM will leave. The new man will hopefully sprinkle a bit of quality and have a more footballing philosophy to carry on from the academy.

All Managers record in the transfer market is hit and miss, why single out MM
how much of a budget increase would it take on 09:39 - Feb 28 with 2234 viewsitfcjoe

how much of a budget increase would it take on 09:34 - Feb 28 by oldbluestu

All Managers record in the transfer market is hit and miss, why single out MM

Because he's latched on to a blog about Mick's transfer record after getting Wolves promoted and prefers to use that rather than the minimal outlay Mick has made in his time at Portman Road and the quality he has brought in on next to no budget.

I know which I think is more relevant

how much of a budget increase would it take on 09:40 - Feb 28 with 2219 viewsBlueGuru

I think only an extra £10m plus per season would make a difference, below that and we may oh may not improve.

No way ME is putting this in on top of the £6m already so I fear we will lose our best manager in a decade.
how much of a budget increase would it take on 09:41 - Feb 28 with 2207 viewsSwansea_Blue

He needs a Moosie Bonus - £14.99 + VAT

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

how much of a budget increase would it take on 09:45 - Feb 28 with 2191 viewsGuthrum

Controversially, I would not mind if we continued to spend money on wages for another like Fraser or Lawrence on a season-long loan to provide quality beyond what we could possibly afford to buy.

Would like us to stump up for Diagouraga and Huws.

I don't think the extra investment has to be more than about a couple of million, just enough to nail the targets we're after rather than a big splashing of the cash.

To be fair to Evans, the issue is as much about rampant inflation in the Championship as it is underinvestment. The division as a whole is running further and further away from clubs having any hope of breaking even without alternative funding sources (e.g. parachute payments).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

how much of a budget increase would it take on 09:49 - Feb 28 with 2180 viewsGuthrum

how much of a budget increase would it take on 09:15 - Feb 28 by TLA

If Mick had a budget like you suggest and gets us in the playoffs, it shows his worth. I genuinely think he can get us closer than most could.

When I read about the way money is moved around the ME Group, I do wonder if they had more money to 'lose' in other strands when Mick took over, with the London Olympics on the horizon etc. If the business is not doing as well in other areas now, could that explain the smaller investment (and not directly re-investing all incoming fees) over the last couple of years? I know very little about this stuff - I dropped my economics A level (many years ago) after a few weeks as all we did was play monopoly!

I believe it's more that Evans had a certain amount of money he was prepared to put into ITFC. That has been expended without success (promotion).

Now it is a case of limiting financial losses and making use of a manager who might be able to pull off a near-miracle.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

how much of a budget increase would it take on 10:12 - Feb 28 with 2102 viewsClausThomsen

how much of a budget increase would it take on 09:39 - Feb 28 by itfcjoe

Because he's latched on to a blog about Mick's transfer record after getting Wolves promoted and prefers to use that rather than the minimal outlay Mick has made in his time at Portman Road and the quality he has brought in on next to no budget.

I know which I think is more relevant

The blog's irrelevant - that's the amount he spent on Wolves when they went up and, aside from Fletcher, it was all pretty much wasted.

If you want to analyse MM with a budget, then that's your example.

We've got Brentford at home Saturday, then Wolves Tuesday - a nice start for MM to show that February wasn't a flash in the stinking pan. Under no other chairman would MM have survived January.

Can you honestly see MM successfully bringing through Dozzell? Because that's the sort of thing that needs to happen now at ITFC if we're ever going to go up again.
how much of a budget increase would it take on 10:15 - Feb 28 with 2083 viewsBenters

Yep totaly agree i would love MM to be given some decent funds to see where that would take us.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

how much of a budget increase would it take on 10:15 - Feb 28 with 2084 viewsitfcjoe

how much of a budget increase would it take on 10:12 - Feb 28 by ClausThomsen

The blog's irrelevant - that's the amount he spent on Wolves when they went up and, aside from Fletcher, it was all pretty much wasted.

If you want to analyse MM with a budget, then that's your example.

We've got Brentford at home Saturday, then Wolves Tuesday - a nice start for MM to show that February wasn't a flash in the stinking pan. Under no other chairman would MM have survived January.

Can you honestly see MM successfully bringing through Dozzell? Because that's the sort of thing that needs to happen now at ITFC if we're ever going to go up again.

Why not analyse his budget at ITFC, surely that is far more relevant? Any spell at Wolves that is more relevant would be him in the Championship.

Mick is showing he can bring players through, but the players have to step up and when Doz has played he has looked lost on the whole - he'll get there but the difference between how Huws has played compared to others in there sets the standard that they have to achieve.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024