Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Guthrum's Estimated Final Table 10:43 - Mar 19 with 2340 viewsGuthrum

Not as bad as I was expecting. But then we've only dropped a single point on our recent average and teams like Birmingham, Forest and Burton are still mostly losing and drawing. To overtake us they'd need to put together good runs while we carry on like that second half at Cardiff.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Guthrum's Estimated Final Table on 11:29 - Mar 19 with 620 viewsBluefish

Guthrum's Estimated Final Table on 11:18 - Mar 19 by BlueBadger

Ironically Fishers, this is exactly the sort of complacency that you've accused people who supported Roy Keane of..

We were bottom

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Guthrum's Estimated Final Table on 11:29 - Mar 19 with 619 viewsHerbivore

Guthrum's Estimated Final Table on 11:25 - Mar 19 by Guthrum

I might not write off those three just yet. February showed we were able to raise our game against better teams to get something from the match.

Indeed, plus Wednesday are in worse form than us at the minute. In fact, of our last 8 games 7 of our opponents are in the bottom half of the form table (along with ourselves) and the only side in the top half is Fulham in 10th who are coming off a home loss to Wolves. There's plenty of points to be had, we need to be better than we have been lately to get some wins but I find it very unlikely we won't get the 4 or 5 points that we're likely to need to keep us safe this season.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Guthrum's Estimated Final Table on 11:31 - Mar 19 with 612 viewstextbackup

Guthrum's Estimated Final Table on 11:15 - Mar 19 by Herbivore

All hot air.

Lol ok.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Guthrum's Estimated Final Table on 11:33 - Mar 19 with 592 viewsBenters

Guthrum's Estimated Final Table on 10:51 - Mar 19 by Bluefish

The real table is correct and it has us comfortably safe.

Thats not what MM said yesterday !

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Guthrum's Estimated Final Table on 11:39 - Mar 19 with 582 viewsBenters

Guthrum's Estimated Final Table on 11:13 - Mar 19 by Herbivore

The table is based on form. He doesn't just make it up. The only people plucking things out of their arses are the blow hards who keep crowing that we're definitely heading for League 1.

Well we are heading for the worst finish in close on 60 yrs ,and forgive if im wrong did we go down a place yesterday,so technically we are heading for league 1

Gentlybentley

Guthrum's Estimated Final Table on 11:44 - Mar 19 with 584 viewsHerbivore

Guthrum's Estimated Final Table on 11:39 - Mar 19 by Benters

Well we are heading for the worst finish in close on 60 yrs ,and forgive if im wrong did we go down a place yesterday,so technically we are heading for league 1

To head for League 1 we'd need to finish in the bottom three, which is looking unlikely. If you're so sure it'll happen I've offered to have a wager with you but you seem reluctant which makes me think you don't really think we will go down.

Guthrum's Estimated Final Table on 11:48 - Mar 19 with 578 viewsGuthrum

Guthrum's Estimated Final Table on 11:28 - Mar 19 by StowTractorBoy

At this moment in time I cannot see where 7 points are going to come from based on the standard of our performances in the last 4 games. When we were 11 points clear I believed we were in a relegation battle and this is now the case. The next two home games are now pivotal to the future of our Club. Even if you are anti establishment, anti McCarthy, anti Milne anti Evans and anti season ticket prices we need to get behind the players to help get the team over the line. There is extreme negativity on here and the local press seem to delight in slamming the Club which really does not help the scenario we are in. A drop to the third tier could in football terms be a catastrophe and something that will be very difficult to recover from. We at the very least need 100% support for the players.

We got three points from those last four games, even with sub-standard performances. Seven points is quite achievable, especially if the team gees itself up a bit.

Guthrum's Estimated Final Table on 11:51 - Mar 19 with 571 viewsNorthern_Blue81

Huddersfield had a good season.
Login to get fewer ads

Guthrum's Estimated Final Table on 12:04 - Mar 19 with 552 viewsBenters

Guthrum's Estimated Final Table on 11:44 - Mar 19 by Herbivore

To head for League 1 we'd need to finish in the bottom three, which is looking unlikely. If you're so sure it'll happen I've offered to have a wager with you but you seem reluctant which makes me think you don't really think we will go down.

Im not a gambling man tbh .

I dont want us to go down as i reckon it would be a bloody disaster for the club.

Gentlybentley

Guthrum's Estimated Final Table on 12:07 - Mar 19 with 551 viewsHerbivore

Guthrum's Estimated Final Table on 12:04 - Mar 19 by Benters

Im not a gambling man tbh .

I dont want us to go down as i reckon it would be a bloody disaster for the club.

It would be a disaster, agreed. Thankfully at this point it doesn't seem likely it'll happen but if we lose our next two at home it will be full on squeaky bum time.

Guthrum's Estimated Final Table on 12:18 - Mar 19 with 545 viewsRyorry

Guthrum's Estimated Final Table on 11:22 - Mar 19 by Guthrum

Yes, but it wouldn't do you any good.

The lottery works on completely random probability. There is an equal chance of any particular ball popping out. Previous results have no bearing whatsoever on future outcomes.

Football, on the other hand, has all sorts of factors bearing on results. The skill of the team and management, form, momentum, morale, weather, previous outcomes between the teams, historical rivalries, league position and many others, as well as random chance (e.g. the bounce of the ball). Previous results are often a good indicator of future performances, thus analysis can be of some use.

"The skill of the team and management, form, momentum, morale, "

Well if you're going on those, we have every reason to worry I'm afraid Guthers.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Guthrum's Estimated Final Table on 12:19 - Mar 19 with 540 viewswitchdoctor

Guthrum's Estimated Final Table on 11:04 - Mar 19 by Bluefish

Are you sure that you don't want to be right?

It is possible that I will win the lottery on Wednesday but I don't post about it multiple times like it is going to actually happen.

Teams are below us for a reason. There is one relegation place up for grabs and we are unlikely to claim it

"it is possible I will win the lottery on Wednesday night"

like they say in the advert.....please...don't let it be him...
Guthrum's Estimated Final Table on 12:22 - Mar 19 with 520 viewsBenters

Guthrum's Estimated Final Table on 12:18 - Mar 19 by Ryorry

Well if you're going on those, we have every reason to worry I'm afraid Guthers.

Indeed

Gentlybentley

Guthrum's Estimated Final Table on 12:33 - Mar 19 with 502 viewsGuthrum

Guthrum's Estimated Final Table on 12:18 - Mar 19 by Ryorry

The skill of the team and management should be enough, after all it has managed to keep us out of the relegationj places despite a horribly scrappy season.

Form, if we can continue recent levels, should be just sufficient (as per my table).

It's momentum and, particularly, morale which concerns me. The former is stagnant and the latter, judging by yesterday, is alarmingly fragile. One or two players seem to have lost confidence in their own abilities, lacking concentration, making bad errors, behaving recklessly in an apparent attempt to repair damage. But we don't have the depth of (uninjured) squad to replace them easily.

There needs to be renewal of battling team spirit, but instead the wider atmosphere is one of dissolution and decline. Perhaps the leaders among the squad have lost some of their motivation. Perhaps the manager has subconsciously given up the unequal fight. Possibly everybody is just tired, mentally as much as physically. I don't know for certain, but something is, if not rotten, at least smelling a bit off in the state of ITFC.

Guthrum's Estimated Final Table on 12:46 - Mar 19 with 482 viewspointofblue

Guthrum's Estimated Final Table on 11:29 - Mar 19 by Bluefish

We were bottom

Were we ever bottom under Keane? I presume that was during our 13 match non-winning run.

I think there's a massive difference between saying we're definitely going down and we're in a relegation battle. We're not definitely going down and the form of others are our ability to pick up a point more often than not should see us safe. BUT we are in a relegation scrap; if we lose to Birmingham and results against us the gap could be down to two. To say we are definitely going down is sheer stupidity - but so is stating we're definitely safe and not battling against the drop.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Guthrum's Estimated Final Table on 12:53 - Mar 19 with 478 viewsRyorry

Guthrum's Estimated Final Table on 12:33 - Mar 19 by Guthrum

The skill of the team and management should be enough, after all it has managed to keep us out of the relegationj places despite a horribly scrappy season.

Form, if we can continue recent levels, should be just sufficient (as per my table).

It's momentum and, particularly, morale which concerns me. The former is stagnant and the latter, judging by yesterday, is alarmingly fragile. One or two players seem to have lost confidence in their own abilities, lacking concentration, making bad errors, behaving recklessly in an apparent attempt to repair damage. But we don't have the depth of (uninjured) squad to replace them easily.

There needs to be renewal of battling team spirit, but instead the wider atmosphere is one of dissolution and decline. Perhaps the leaders among the squad have lost some of their motivation. Perhaps the manager has subconsciously given up the unequal fight. Possibly everybody is just tired, mentally as much as physically. I don't know for certain, but something is, if not rotten, at least smelling a bit off in the state of ITFC.

Afraid I can't reconcile your 1st & 2nd paras ("the skill of the team and management should be enough, after all it has managed to keep us out of the relegation places despite a horribly scrappy season" + "Form, if we can continue recent levels, should be just sufficient, as per my table") with the rest, which I think is spot on. It's what I meant yesterday when I said we were back where we were when Mick arrived - not in terms of league position (as that was October) but in terms of morale, mood, feel around the place and performances - but you've said it much better!

Our form, if you look at it literally, is dropping (I know 2 games is too few really, but we did go from 1 pt to 0pts y'day, against a team who weren't much higher placed than us.)

Given our scoring average of 1 a game, and home record

w6 d9 l4 f23 a21

when 5 of those wins & 5 of the draws were before Christmas, I don't understand how some people can be so confident of staying up. Personally I think we'll probably just escape it, but that it'll be very close and the washing machine may be doing overtime on the underwear!

Guthrum's Estimated Final Table on 13:27 - Mar 19 with 460 viewsGuthrum

Guthrum's Estimated Final Table on 12:53 - Mar 19 by Ryorry

Afraid I can't reconcile your 1st & 2nd paras ("the skill of the team and management should be enough, after all it has managed to keep us out of the relegation places despite a horribly scrappy season" + "Form, if we can continue recent levels, should be just sufficient, as per my table") with the rest, which I think is spot on. It's what I meant yesterday when I said we were back where we were when Mick arrived - not in terms of league position (as that was October) but in terms of morale, mood, feel around the place and performances - but you've said it much better!

Our form, if you look at it literally, is dropping (I know 2 games is too few really, but we did go from 1 pt to 0pts y'day, against a team who weren't much higher placed than us.)

Given our scoring average of 1 a game, and home record

w6 d9 l4 f23 a21

when 5 of those wins & 5 of the draws were before Christmas, I don't understand how some people can be so confident of staying up. Personally I think we'll probably just escape it, but that it'll be very close and the washing machine may be doing overtime on the underwear!

What I was trying to convey is that, up to now, the technical and tactical skill has been sufficient to always just get enough from a string of matches to keep us away from danger. Even the tick-over form of a point a game would likely be sufficient.

Our home games since Christmas have included three of the then top six, of which we have won two, drawn four and lost just the two, against Derby and high-flying Fulham. One poor game doesn't necessarily signal a downturn any more than a win the reverse.

The problem is that our position is vulnerable. A significant crack in morale - which I'm a little concerned might be a possibility - could lead to a rout and a disastrous decline in form.

Guthrum's Estimated Final Table on 13:46 - Mar 19 with 438 viewsRyorry

Guthrum's Estimated Final Table on 13:27 - Mar 19 by Guthrum

What I was trying to convey is that, up to now, the technical and tactical skill has been sufficient to always just get enough from a string of matches to keep us away from danger. Even the tick-over form of a point a game would likely be sufficient.

Our home games since Christmas have included three of the then top six, of which we have won two, drawn four and lost just the two, against Derby and high-flying Fulham. One poor game doesn't necessarily signal a downturn any more than a win the reverse.

The problem is that our position is vulnerable. A significant crack in morale - which I'm a little concerned might be a possibility - could lead to a rout and a disastrous decline in form.

I'm not sure how factually correct this might or might not be, but my impression over many years and many decades, is that we tend to raise our game and play better against better opposition, and worse against worse opposition or "smaller" clubs, who we seem to struggle more against.

I'd prefer what you're implying in your second para to be correct tho!!

Guthrum's Estimated Final Table on 14:09 - Mar 19 with 426 viewsGuthrum

Guthrum's Estimated Final Table on 13:46 - Mar 19 by Ryorry

I'm not sure how factually correct this might or might not be, but my impression over many years and many decades, is that we tend to raise our game and play better against better opposition, and worse against worse opposition or "smaller" clubs, who we seem to struggle more against.

I'd prefer what you're implying in your second para to be correct tho!!

Indeed. I'm half expecting at least draws out of Fulham, Newcastle and Sheffield.

As others have pointed out, there may be a stylistic element to it, in that the poorer teams tend to be stolidly defensive, giving us little room to play and frustrating any attacks. Whereas others are more aggressive, thus leaving more space at the back which can be opportunistically exploited (while we, in turn, stymie their attempts with numbers and doggedness).

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024