Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Expectations, expectations, expectations. 11:41 - Mar 22 with 1960 viewshampstead_blue

Milne makes a very, very good point.

“Playing squad, coaches and academy costs as a percentage of turnover is now running at 91%. I am pleased to say that all non-playing squad costs remained static by saving costs and efficiencies.

“To expect the owner to not raise ticket prices when he continues to support an ever-increasing playing squad spend is not reasonable."

I can't recall the amount ME puts in to cover the annual loss, but it's not a small amount.

Look at it this way.
If we regularly finished in the middle of the Prem would we all be happy?
Well, we are in the same position.

We are stable and should be thankful of that.

You only need look at Wigan who were regulars in the Prem and then blew it.

If we stayed in the Champ for another 5 years, but played decent stuff, bought through and sold some young guns, and maintained a sense of stability I would be happy.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Expectations, expectations, expectations. on 11:45 - Mar 22 with 1607 viewsBlueBadger

If we're going to carry on with the same level of funding for the playing side of the club as we are then I think we need a properlook at how the playing side of the club is structured, with a clear pathway through from the youth teams to first team. The DoF-everybody plays the same-style-and-system approach adopted by the likes of Southampton and Swansea(for example) would need serious consideration because frankly, I can't see Mick staying on after we're safe(he'll either walk if nothing changes funds-wise or Evans will throw him under the bus) and the current model of 'hope the manage can keep us perfoming beyond their actual capabilities' has been out of steam for just over a season now.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2017 11:57]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Expectations, expectations, expectations. on 11:49 - Mar 22 with 1588 viewsSteve_M

How stable are we? As bad as some of the football has been on the pitch this season, I still think it is Mick McCarthy holding this club together. With uncertainty over his future, we've reverted to key players with no idea if they'll be here next season and a squad that will need several new players regardless of how this season ends up.

Add in a fanbase, fed up of being taken for granted. This negativity isn't the standard whinging from people who jumped on the bandwagons for promotion in 2000 or when Roy Keane was appointed - it's people who go regularly and largely regardless of the on-pitch context.

This is a big Summer for the club, nothing I've seen from Evans suggests that he has enough understanding of this club and football to get it right.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Expectations, expectations, expectations. on 11:50 - Mar 22 with 1572 viewsBlueLikeJazz

"If we stayed in the Champ for another 5 years, but played decent stuff, bought through and sold some young guns, and maintained a sense of stability I would be happy."

I probably would as well. I'd be even happier if you could point me to ANYTHING in the way the club is being run right now that suggests that is *remotely* likely.
Expectations, expectations, expectations. on 11:53 - Mar 22 with 1545 viewshype313

"If we stayed in the Champ for another 5 years, but played decent stuff, bought through and sold some young guns, and maintained a sense of stability I would be happy."

If the investment in the squad continues as the status quo then we wont be in this division for another 5 years. We probably won't be in this division within 2 years, if we can stay up this season.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Expectations, expectations, expectations. on 12:16 - Mar 22 with 1422 viewshampstead_blue

Expectations, expectations, expectations. on 11:50 - Mar 22 by BlueLikeJazz

I probably would as well. I'd be even happier if you could point me to ANYTHING in the way the club is being run right now that suggests that is *remotely* likely.

We have a manager who has a track record of stability.
The owner puts in upwards of £7 to £10 m each year to keep us going.

I agree that ticket prices and the match day experience needs to be radically need to be remodelled.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Expectations, expectations, expectations. on 12:22 - Mar 22 with 1374 viewsBlueLikeJazz

Expectations, expectations, expectations. on 12:16 - Mar 22 by hampstead_blue

I agree that ticket prices and the match day experience needs to be radically need to be remodelled.

*shrug*
What hype313 said, above. I'm afraid I think you have your head massively in the sand..
Expectations, expectations, expectations. on 12:26 - Mar 22 with 1346 viewsTheBlueBarca

Don't worry Hampstead we won't be playing Championship football over the next 5 years.

We are not stable, we are over £80million in debt to one man and on the verge of relegation to the third division with the majority of support about to walk away. You couldn't get much more less stable than that.

Most of the support are talking about staying away now, as if it's a moral obligation given the owner. You are literally one of the few trying to justify their 5 point plan, despite the obvious reality that if you don't spend to compete, you don't compete, and if you spend even less, as we are, you go down.

Everyone on this forum is always wrong.
Poll: Should Tommy Smith be awarded a Testimonial at Ipswich?

Expectations, expectations, expectations. on 12:28 - Mar 22 with 1334 viewsBenters

Yep fantastic put me down for two tickets please !

So we are on course for the worst finish in 50 odd years and you call that 'stable' !?

Season ticket holders last year left by about 1k, this season could well be worse !

Id call that a messy 'stable' and its time to shovel the sh1t out !

stable my arse .

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Login to get fewer ads

Expectations, expectations, expectations. on 12:29 - Mar 22 with 1325 viewsReuser_is_God

Stability?

This manager has taken us from 7th to 17th.

Whilst it's not all of his making, that's not stability.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Expectations, expectations, expectations. on 12:38 - Mar 22 with 1298 viewsnshearman1

Expectations, expectations, expectations. on 12:29 - Mar 22 by Reuser_is_God

Stability?

The other key point is that we have an over-large squad. We have paid for quantity rather than quality over the past couple of years. When I went to Bristol City, a friend of mine was shocked at the size of our squad, given we don't apparently spend money. This is because it has been wasted away over several years on some very poor additions, whether poor in quality, past their best or permanently injured, such as Coke, Best, Sammon, that Polish centre-back, probably Digby and I'd include Douglas in that. There are many more. The fans are being made to pay for the mistakes of Evans, Milne and Mick. This short-term policy is utter folly.
Expectations, expectations, expectations. on 12:41 - Mar 22 with 1269 viewsTheBlueBarca

Expectations, expectations, expectations. on 12:29 - Mar 22 by Reuser_is_God

Stability?

The bloated playing staff situation is though, which is what the Evans spin machine are trying to use to justify the increase.

Why should we have to pay more? Just because the manager signed Cameron Stewart, Douglas, Knudsen, Maitland-Niles, Fraser (from an injury perspective), Giles Coke, Toure, Alibi, Oar, Malarczyk, Foley, Digby, Webber, Best, Moore, Taylor, Spence, Rowe, Williams, Samuel and so on. Thats over 20 players, most of which have literally done sweet f'a for us that he's brought in and increased the budget in doing so.

If we hadn't have signed all that rubbish we could have signed 1 or 2 decent first team players to build for the long term.

It's exactly the mess Jewell was in here - not stable. Also people forget that Mick has relegated every side he's ever managed, including Millwall from this league although he left before it was concluded - it was his tactics and players that took them down. Thats his legacy.

Everyone on this forum is always wrong.
Poll: Should Tommy Smith be awarded a Testimonial at Ipswich?

Expectations, expectations, expectations. on 12:44 - Mar 22 with 1247 viewsDoobDude

Completely wrong.

Over the past 2 years the owner has put in 500,000 pounds.
It's all in the latest accounts, stop believing this nonsense about £7m.

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow? What do you mean? An African or European swallow? Huh? I... I don't know that ... Auuuuuuuugh.
Poll: Whi is getting sold to fund the Webster Signing

Expectations, expectations, expectations. on 12:46 - Mar 22 with 1230 viewsKeaneish

Ambition?

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Expectations, expectations, expectations. on 12:46 - Mar 22 with 1228 viewsGuthrum

The problem is that the environment has changed. Specifically inflation, driven by parachute money and a sprinkling of profligate/gambling owners.

Maintaining stability in this division now requires a higher level of financial input than even three years ago. It's got to a "running to stay still" scenario. A club cannot hope to be even close to financial break-even and afford reasonable quality players without some major outside source of income.

This season we lost Murphy and were unable to replace him within budget, while McGoldrick was out injured at the same time. As a result, we went on a run of scoring five goals in ten games (two of those against Burton). Which crippled our season, leaving us in 17th place after the Newcastle game. Only the on-loan Lawrence kept us in it for the remainder of the year, but we still aren't really safe with not much more than a month of the season to go.

We're already flying perilously close to the edge of the envelope. Something similar happens next season and we don't have a Lawrence (or, like Fraser, he gets injured), or we have a less skilled manager than McCarthy at the helm, then we will be relegated. We won't be finishing the middle of anywhere but League One.

That's before we consider improving the squad and pushing for promotion.

It's a terrible indictment on modern football that an owner can be putting in £5m a season and it isn't enough even to maintain stability. Not Evans' fault in that respect, but there has to be a realisation of the facts and either a willingness to invest extra or a search for alternative income (and I don't mean squeezing the over 60s and children at a time when it's important to keep season ticket renewers on-side).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Expectations, expectations, expectations. on 12:49 - Mar 22 with 1192 viewsRyorry

"If we regularly finished in the middle of the Prem would we all be happy?"
Yes, obviously

"Well, we are in the same position."

Can I have some of what you're on please?! cheers :)

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Expectations, expectations, expectations. on 12:50 - Mar 22 with 1187 viewsBenters

Expectations, expectations, expectations. on 12:44 - Mar 22 by DoobDude

Completely wrong.

That figure is about as random as the attendance they give out !

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Expectations, expectations, expectations. on 12:59 - Mar 22 with 1157 viewsGuthrum

Expectations, expectations, expectations. on 12:38 - Mar 22 by nshearman1

The other key point is that we have an over-large squad. We have paid for quantity rather than quality over the past couple of years. When I went to Bristol City, a friend of mine was shocked at the size of our squad, given we don't apparently spend money. This is because it has been wasted away over several years on some very poor additions, whether poor in quality, past their best or permanently injured, such as Coke, Best, Sammon, that Polish centre-back, probably Digby and I'd include Douglas in that. There are many more. The fans are being made to pay for the mistakes of Evans, Milne and Mick. This short-term policy is utter folly.

That's what happens when you're picking through the bargain bin for "hidden gems". You end up with a load that don't work out, but are still costing you money. In the majority of cases, there will be good reasons why these players are available for little or nothing.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Expectations, expectations, expectations. on 13:01 - Mar 22 with 1137 viewsBent_double

Expectations, expectations, expectations. on 12:38 - Mar 22 by nshearman1

I think that's partly down to the abolition of the emergency loan window, which we've used to supplement the playing squad over the years once the Jan transfer window shuts.

I think MM just didn't want to be caught out by injuries and not being able to add anyone else could have meant playing 2 or 3 of the kids - maybe not a bad thing considering some of the senior players we have now.

Of course, if ME had been willing to pay the going rate to buy one or two players in Jan then things might not be as bad as they are.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Expectations, expectations, expectations. on 13:03 - Mar 22 with 1124 viewsDoobDude

Expectations, expectations, expectations. on 12:46 - Mar 22 by Guthrum

The problem is that the environment has changed. Specifically inflation, driven by parachute money and a sprinkling of profligate/gambling owners.

Maintaining stability in this division now requires a higher level of financial input than even three years ago. It's got to a "running to stay still" scenario. A club cannot hope to be even close to financial break-even and afford reasonable quality players without some major outside source of income.

This season we lost Murphy and were unable to replace him within budget, while McGoldrick was out injured at the same time. As a result, we went on a run of scoring five goals in ten games (two of those against Burton). Which crippled our season, leaving us in 17th place after the Newcastle game. Only the on-loan Lawrence kept us in it for the remainder of the year, but we still aren't really safe with not much more than a month of the season to go.

We're already flying perilously close to the edge of the envelope. Something similar happens next season and we don't have a Lawrence (or, like Fraser, he gets injured), or we have a less skilled manager than McCarthy at the helm, then we will be relegated. We won't be finishing the middle of anywhere but League One.

That's before we consider improving the squad and pushing for promotion.

It's a terrible indictment on modern football that an owner can be putting in £5m a season and it isn't enough even to maintain stability. Not Evans' fault in that respect, but there has to be a realisation of the facts and either a willingness to invest extra or a search for alternative income (and I don't mean squeezing the over 60s and children at a time when it's important to keep season ticket renewers on-side).

No not £5m either!

Over the past 2 years he has put in £250k a year.
He has used the Cresswell and Mings money to fund the deficit.
This financial year he is planning to use the Murphy money.

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow? What do you mean? An African or European swallow? Huh? I... I don't know that ... Auuuuuuuugh.
Poll: Whi is getting sold to fund the Webster Signing

Expectations, expectations, expectations. on 13:10 - Mar 22 with 1085 viewsWeekender

Expectations, expectations, expectations. on 12:44 - Mar 22 by DoobDude

Completely wrong.

For once I agree with Doob.

The strategy employed since MM arrived, and which remains in place, is to roughly break even.

Average losses over ME's period of ownership are c£7m a season I understand as this figure takes into account the spending under Magic, keane and Jewel.

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

Expectations, expectations, expectations. on 13:10 - Mar 22 with 1087 viewsitfcjoe

Expectations, expectations, expectations. on 12:41 - Mar 22 by TheBlueBarca

The bloated playing staff situation is though, which is what the Evans spin machine are trying to use to justify the increase.

Why should we have to pay more? Just because the manager signed Cameron Stewart, Douglas, Knudsen, Maitland-Niles, Fraser (from an injury perspective), Giles Coke, Toure, Alibi, Oar, Malarczyk, Foley, Digby, Webber, Best, Moore, Taylor, Spence, Rowe, Williams, Samuel and so on. Thats over 20 players, most of which have literally done sweet f'a for us that he's brought in and increased the budget in doing so.

If we hadn't have signed all that rubbish we could have signed 1 or 2 decent first team players to build for the long term.

It's exactly the mess Jewell was in here - not stable. Also people forget that Mick has relegated every side he's ever managed, including Millwall from this league although he left before it was concluded - it was his tactics and players that took them down. Thats his legacy.

"Also people forget that Mick has relegated every side he's ever managed, including Millwall from this league"

This is just #FAKENEWS. I hope no-one believes this because it is total b*llocks.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Expectations, expectations, expectations. on 13:18 - Mar 22 with 1028 viewsSuperfrans

Expectations, expectations, expectations. on 13:10 - Mar 22 by Weekender

For once I agree with Doob.

The strategy employed since MM arrived, and which remains in place, is to roughly break even.

Average losses over ME's period of ownership are c£7m a season I understand as this figure takes into account the spending under Magic, keane and Jewel.

Not sure how often I have to post this. All from the club's audited accounts.

15/16 - £6.6m loss.
14/15 - £5.3m profit.
13/14 - £7.2m loss.
12/13 - £9.8m loss.
11/12 - £16.0m loss.
10/11 - £3.2m loss.
9/10 - £14.2m loss.
8/9 - £12.7m loss.
7/8 - £5.8m loss.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Expectations, expectations, expectations. on 13:24 - Mar 22 with 984 viewsBiGDonnie

Aim for the stars fella.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Expectations, expectations, expectations. on 14:02 - Mar 22 with 909 viewsRyorry

Expectations, expectations, expectations. on 13:18 - Mar 22 by Superfrans

15/16 - £6.6m loss.
14/15 - £5.3m profit.
13/14 - £7.2m loss.
12/13 - £9.8m loss.
11/12 - £16.0m loss.
10/11 - £3.2m loss.
9/10 - £14.2m loss.
8/9 - £12.7m loss.
7/8 - £5.8m loss.

Could you do a separate one for sales please? - esp Cresswell & Mings - cheers if so.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Expectations, expectations, expectations. on 14:08 - Mar 22 with 892 viewsWeekender

Expectations, expectations, expectations. on 13:18 - Mar 22 by Superfrans

15/16 - £6.6m loss.
14/15 - £5.3m profit.
13/14 - £7.2m loss.
12/13 - £9.8m loss.
11/12 - £16.0m loss.
10/11 - £3.2m loss.
9/10 - £14.2m loss.
8/9 - £12.7m loss.
7/8 - £5.8m loss.

So broadly what im saying? - more recently the sales have been used to subsidise losses?

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024