Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Got to love Mick... 14:31 - May 12 with 8827 viewsitfcjoe

EDIT - The whole interview is really good, and well worth watching
[Post edited 12 May 2017 15:05]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Got to love Mick... on 14:33 - May 12 with 3899 viewsKieran_Knows

BT BT, HE'Z A DINOSAW!!!!

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Got to love Mick... on 14:36 - May 12 with 3869 viewsm14_blue

I think the problem is that we've lost that edge on the pitch.

Results aside, the biggest frustration for me from last season was our passiveness and timidity. We almost always seemed happy to let the opposition dictate the game whilst we 'hung in there' rather than getting on the front foot and letting them worry about us.

It was the polar opposite of our play off season and very un-Mick.
Got to love Mick... on 14:37 - May 12 with 3850 viewsitfcjoe

Got to love Mick... on 14:36 - May 12 by m14_blue

I think the problem is that we've lost that edge on the pitch.

Results aside, the biggest frustration for me from last season was our passiveness and timidity. We almost always seemed happy to let the opposition dictate the game whilst we 'hung in there' rather than getting on the front foot and letting them worry about us.

It was the polar opposite of our play off season and very un-Mick.

I agree with that - we don't look like a Mick mcCarthy team and haven't for some time.

People can go on about style and passing and all that jazz - but to me our biggest issue is a lack of tempo

Got to love Mick... on 14:38 - May 12 with 3833 viewshoppy

Indeed. I'll be happy if next season we have a fresh approach full of scintillating football so that he can ram it down a few people's throats if the whole squad and new additions have that fight in them.
If he can do that, that is.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Got to love Mick... on 14:44 - May 12 with 3762 viewsLankHenners

Got to love Mick... on 14:37 - May 12 by itfcjoe

I agree with that - we don't look like a Mick mcCarthy team and haven't for some time.

People can go on about style and passing and all that jazz - but to me our biggest issue is a lack of tempo

Seem to have lost that 'it ain't over til it's over' spirit as well - got quite fed up last season with games being over as soon as the opposition scored the first goal.

Need some more proper leaders in the squad next term to galvanise the team when things are getting tough, rather than allow ourselves to plod along miserably to a draw at best.

One of the hallmarks of our play-off season, related to tempo as you point out, was wearing the opposition down and hitting them with a sucker punch in the last few minutes of games. "desire" and "passion" are often misused and inappropriate in football, but we seem to have lost that drive and hunger to really give it to teams for the full 90.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Got to love Mick... on 14:44 - May 12 with 3760 viewsGeoffSentence

Despite what he says about not taking any notice of stuff on the internet, that sounds like he does.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Got to love Mick... on 14:44 - May 12 with 3756 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Well said

Cardiff away being the best example. When Cardiff went 2-1, the pressing and fight of a McCarthy team was non-existent

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Got to love Mick... on 14:48 - May 12 with 3714 viewstextbackup

Lack of anything, urgency pace aggression to name a few. We had it all for the one game vs Newcastle, where's it been all season?!

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Login to get fewer ads

Got to love Mick... on 14:50 - May 12 with 3684 viewsbraveblue

Poor old fool.
Got to love Mick... on 14:53 - May 12 with 3662 viewsKieran_Knows

Got to love Mick... on 14:48 - May 12 by textbackup

Lack of anything, urgency pace aggression to name a few. We had it all for the one game vs Newcastle, where's it been all season?!

As I think I said to you at the time, if we played like we did against Newcastle for 30 out of the 46 games, I think we'd all be happy enough with that.

Got to love Mick... on 14:54 - May 12 with 3637 viewstextbackup

Got to love Mick... on 14:44 - May 12 by The_Romford_Blue

Well said

Cardiff away being the best example. When Cardiff went 2-1, the pressing and fight of a McCarthy team was non-existent

In the PO season we went 1-0 down many times, but I didn't even register that, as knew we'd have it in us to grab a goal or two back (and we did)

These are the things that really bug me about MM, he is the man at the top and should address these things, but nothing changed all season

Got to love Mick... on 14:54 - May 12 with 3632 viewsbluesym

No,you really haven't....

Poll: Is Micheal Mcintyre actually funny?

Got to love Mick... on 14:58 - May 12 with 3595 viewstextbackup

Got to love Mick... on 14:53 - May 12 by Kieran_Knows

As I think I said to you at the time, if we played like we did against Newcastle for 30 out of the 46 games, I think we'd all be happy enough with that.

If we played like that for 30 of the 46 We'd be top 6 come May

Got to love Mick... on 15:02 - May 12 with 3556 viewsKieran_Knows

Got to love Mick... on 14:58 - May 12 by textbackup

... and we'd all be on the Cornhill chanting super Mick!

Got to love Mick... on 15:07 - May 12 with 3490 viewsitfcjoe

Got to love Mick... on 14:48 - May 12 by textbackup

That's my biggest issue, that's they style I want to watch - pace, aggression and tempo. I don't need 90% pass completion and tiki-taka, I want to see us scare teams and overpower them - it just hasn't ahppened enough.

Mick can get us back there, but I don't think he will

Got to love Mick... on 15:11 - May 12 with 3446 viewsunstableblue

I think 5,000 people would strongly disagree with Mick. And have shown their opinion on his coaching capability!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Got to love Mick... on 15:14 - May 12 with 3423 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Got to love Mick... on 14:58 - May 12 by textbackup

We'd have won the league playing like that

Newcastle at home and Sheffield Wednesday away we looked like a good footballing team capable of anything.

Unfortunately we've had too many games like Newcastle away or Sheffield Wednesday at home where we hardly even had a go.

Wolves at home when we set up defensively despite them losing 6 on the bounce before us was the point at which I thought Mick was taking the p1ss.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Got to love Mick... on 17:32 - May 12 with 3228 viewsHerbivore

Got to love Mick... on 14:54 - May 12 by textbackup

In the PO season we went 1-0 down many times, but I didn't even register that, as knew we'd have it in us to grab a goal or two back (and we did)

These are the things that really bug me about MM, he is the man at the top and should address these things, but nothing changed all season

Loads changed all season, it's not like he stuck with the same formation and personnel. He tried to change things up numerous times, it worked on occasions but was never really sustained.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

on 17:39 - May 12 with 3199 views_

Got to love Mick... on 15:07 - May 12 by itfcjoe

That's my biggest issue, that's they style I want to watch - pace, aggression and tempo. I don't need 90% pass completion and tiki-taka, I want to see us scare teams and overpower them - it just hasn't ahppened enough.

Mick can get us back there, but I don't think he will

Got to love Mick... on 17:41 - May 12 with 3172 viewsReuser_is_God

If our players had the same self belief we'd probably be pushing top 6 still.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Got to love Mick... on 17:45 - May 12 with 3128 viewsStNeotsBlue

on 17:39 - May 12 by _

If you think McGoldrick is the biggest problem in our side you're deluded. We should be building the team around him.
on 17:47 - May 12 with 3110 views_

Got to love Mick... on 17:45 - May 12 by StNeotsBlue

If you think McGoldrick is the biggest problem in our side you're deluded. We should be building the team around him.

Got to love Mick... on 17:52 - May 12 with 3085 viewsstrikalite

Got to love Mick... on 17:45 - May 12 by StNeotsBlue

One thing about McGoldrick is that he is always looking for the ball to feet and his awareness when he has it...he doesn't just do the simple stuff, if he sees space with the ball he runs into it...a given you'd have thought, but only Huws and Lawrence are capable of doing it also..
Got to love Mick... on 17:55 - May 12 with 3057 viewsStNeotsBlue

on 17:47 - May 12 by _

Ha! You raised his name from nowhere. Every time you mention him it's having a dig, he's the best footballer we've owned for years. One of the few players we have who gives you a sense that something decent may happen when they receive the ball.
on 18:01 - May 12 with 3032 views_

Got to love Mick... on 17:55 - May 12 by StNeotsBlue

Ha! You raised his name from nowhere. Every time you mention him it's having a dig, he's the best footballer we've owned for years. One of the few players we have who gives you a sense that something decent may happen when they receive the ball.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024