Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why the relentless negativity from some? 09:52 - Jul 28 with 19906 viewsAxeldalai_lama

I'm not going to suggest we're going to win the league, or that we've had the most amazing signings in history. BUT surely people can see we're attempting to improve areas we were lacking, as well as bringing on youth and at least attempting to knock the ball about a bit. The signings we've made and squad looks pretty good, if not amazing.

I guess I just don't understand why some just chose to see the absoute worst in every little thing we do. What's the point in being a fan if you can't even attempt to see a positive, and there are definite positives if you chose to see them. Even if it only lasts until the end of August, surely this is the time to be slightly positive.

I'm not going for superfan status and saying everyone needs to believe we'll win the league and put on our blue tinted specs, I'm realistic enough to think top ten/ flirting with the play offs would be a good season. But a few saying relegation is likely and we'll do worse than last season just seems bizarre.
Why the relentless negativity from some? on 16:02 - Jul 28 with 5422 viewschristiand

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 10:15 - Jul 28 by StokieBlue

Anywhere near the play-offs would be an astonishing season.

I don't think that people want to be negative but the club just haven't given people many reasons to be positive over the last few years. Last year we saw some of the worst displays seen from town in 20+ years.

Being a fan doesn't mean one has to be blindly obedient.

Fingers crossed we start well and carry on, people won't be negative if there is no reason.

SB

Yes, exactly SB and well said. I'm probably one of those that is being referred to on this topic - as being negative towards the club. However, I will give credit when and where it is due. Unfortunately, the club have made some terrible decisions both on and off the field over recent seasons, which makes it easy to be negative towards them. Believe it or not I do want us to succeed, but I'm certainly not a supporter that just sits back and accepts whatever is coming out from the club is the right decision. If I agree or disagree I'll say it and why!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 16:08 - Jul 28 with 5412 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 13:39 - Jul 28 by Bluebell

The other 899 of us know what you mean Rommy.

I was there too, as you know, and I celebrated along with everyone else.

Instead of driving home miserable, we drove home in much better moods.

See you there in two weeks time. Hopefully this time we will win.

Even if we don't win, my grandad is coming and he has been looking forward to it since the fixtures came out even though he was ill over the summer. We are both looking forward to the trip.

See you there BB.

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 16:19 - Jul 28 with 5400 viewsbraveblue

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 12:11 - Jul 28 by Dolly2.0

"one of whom will be injured for a good part of the season"

You misspelt "might".

This is the negativity the OP is talking about. Currently McGoldrick is not injured, so to say he will be injured for a good part of the season is just negative nonsense.

I suggest it is based on track record and history. To suggest McG will stay fit all season is optimistic nonsense.
Why the relentless negativity from some? on 16:22 - Jul 28 with 5396 viewsDubtractor

Odd isn't it?

I have my views on MM, and how we have played, but if you can't at least be cautiously optimistic as the season is about to start then you may as well give up.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 16:40 - Jul 28 with 5366 viewsAxeldalai_lama

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 16:19 - Jul 28 by braveblue

I suggest it is based on track record and history. To suggest McG will stay fit all season is optimistic nonsense.

If you can't have a little bit of optimistic nonsense at the start of a fresh season, with a clean slate and new players and youngsters, then when can you?
Why the relentless negativity from some? on 16:46 - Jul 28 with 5351 viewsjeera

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 16:40 - Jul 28 by Axeldalai_lama

If you can't have a little bit of optimistic nonsense at the start of a fresh season, with a clean slate and new players and youngsters, then when can you?

It's one thing to feel pessimistic inside but it's quite another angle some people take where they are already setting up for failure.

Almost hoping for failure in the odd case.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 16:49 - Jul 28 with 5349 viewssolemio

Plenty of pessimists on here.
Plenty of optimists on here.
The problem is that most of both categories think they are realists.
Why the relentless negativity from some? on 16:51 - Jul 28 with 5345 viewsAxeldalai_lama

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 16:02 - Jul 28 by christiand

Yes, exactly SB and well said. I'm probably one of those that is being referred to on this topic - as being negative towards the club. However, I will give credit when and where it is due. Unfortunately, the club have made some terrible decisions both on and off the field over recent seasons, which makes it easy to be negative towards them. Believe it or not I do want us to succeed, but I'm certainly not a supporter that just sits back and accepts whatever is coming out from the club is the right decision. If I agree or disagree I'll say it and why!

Honest question then, do you think that our build up to this season has been worse than average then? That we are more likely to be relegated than last season? That we've done more bad than good? Do you genuinely think that most of the new guys aren't good enough? That there isn't the prospect of Dozzell, Nydam, Downes, Kenlock etc pushing on and playing games this season? Do you think that anyone who see's positives or even not negatives is deluded?
I guess I'm just intrigued that if you want us to suceed, and many on here can see positives( as well as negatives) why you and others "choose" to put a negative spin on most things. As I keep saying, I don't get the point of being a fan of a team and deliberately choosing negativity. There'll be plenty of time for that later!
I really don't get the argument that we are somehow letting the club off, or that we are looking only through blue tinted specs. We are not expecting the world, just hopeful of a half decent season, based on observable things like new players, youth etc.
Not a personal attack or even aimed at anyone in particular by the way. Just find it strange in many ways.
Login to get fewer ads

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 16:53 - Jul 28 with 5342 viewsAxeldalai_lama

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 16:49 - Jul 28 by solemio

Plenty of pessimists on here.
Plenty of optimists on here.
The problem is that most of both categories think they are realists.

Surely the default position for a football fan who's team have had an unhorrendous, fair to middling pre season should be slight optimism, otherwise what's the point?!
Why the relentless negativity from some? on 17:31 - Jul 28 with 5312 viewsjeera

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 16:02 - Jul 28 by christiand

I honestly think that many posters seen as over positive by some of the dimmer posters actually agree with many of the repetitive points they think they're making, but feel those points are so obvious they don't need to be repeated over and over...

And over.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 18:05 - Jul 28 with 5280 viewschristiand

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 16:51 - Jul 28 by Axeldalai_lama

Honest question then, do you think that our build up to this season has been worse than average then? That we are more likely to be relegated than last season? That we've done more bad than good? Do you genuinely think that most of the new guys aren't good enough? That there isn't the prospect of Dozzell, Nydam, Downes, Kenlock etc pushing on and playing games this season? Do you think that anyone who see's positives or even not negatives is deluded?
I guess I'm just intrigued that if you want us to suceed, and many on here can see positives( as well as negatives) why you and others "choose" to put a negative spin on most things. As I keep saying, I don't get the point of being a fan of a team and deliberately choosing negativity. There'll be plenty of time for that later!
I really don't get the argument that we are somehow letting the club off, or that we are looking only through blue tinted specs. We are not expecting the world, just hopeful of a half decent season, based on observable things like new players, youth etc.
Not a personal attack or even aimed at anyone in particular by the way. Just find it strange in many ways.

Well, I'm going to give my own perspective in answering your thread Axeldalai_lama, it could be a long one, so apologies in advance. I think the build up has been fine nothing more, pre-season is about getting the team prepared and match fit for the new season. I don't really read anything into the results at this stage, so not overly concerned about last Saturday's result at Gillingham. Honestly, I'm not sure that we are much stronger than last season. We have invested a small amount in some new signings whether that is paying a transfer or loan fee, although we need more players, our squad is paper thin. We have currently got 6 central midfielders missing from the squad due to injury or illness, some being potentially longer term. It's encouraging about the youngsters, but it is a lot to expect them to come into the first team and hit the ground running. The Championship is a tough and unforgiving league, we aren't even sure if Nydam and Downes are good enough? Kenlock and Dozzell have a little more first team experience and show potential, but neither is an expected starter for the match against Birmingham City. It is just a lot to ask young lads making their way in the professional game to perform like experienced professionals. The standard of football over the last two seasons has been woeful and there is no getting away from that fact- the season ticket sales alone speak for themselves. Then suddenly after a summer off, we're all expecting MM to change his tactical approach and playing style? Why hasn't that been addressed before if he has had that skill set up his sleeve? Instead MM thrives on winding most of us up with his condescending post match comments, his mind-numbing negative tactics and team selections and then treats us all as idiots. I still feel he needed to go end of last season (and that won't change in my mind), I'd probably have far more optimism going into the new season with someone new at the helm. For me, too much water has passed under the bridge for things to be forgotten over the close season.

Lets get one thing straight, the club has made some dreadful decisions over recent seasons and the catalogue of errors is going to take time to heal, certainly for me. The club seems to excel at making the wrong choice in appeasing its supporters and quite frankly not giving us much consideration - look at the season ticket fiasco at the end of the season. They have tried to address things with a couple of initiatives during the summer, which is terrific, but it always seems after the horse has bolted where ITFC are concerned . Why not do your research beforehand to monitor the fans opinion or mood? I was expecting more support from ME this summer towards MM, on reflection I feel its quite tepid. To me it seems only slightly better than last summer, but we have done our business early. I do appreciate the fact that ME puts £6m of his own money into the club, however his contribution is always at a bare minimum compared to the majority of sides in our league and I have always been sceptical of his leadership. If he has lost interest, which is the vibe that is given off, then channel all your efforts in to finding a new buyer instead of making token gestures. I'm not expecting us to splash out £5m on players, the transfer fees this summer are ridiculous, but the budget that MM is given he is only allowed to shop in the bargain bucket for players. At least try and help him with some substantial monies to sign players he really wants instead of wasting it on loans or lesser players and then expect him to compete.

As you can see I have many issues with ITFC and I find it difficult to suddenly send them positive vibes (after two months) where little has really changed in my opinion. I'll be supporting ITFC and dearly hope I'm proved wrong, but until ME and MM leave us I think we'll carry on plodding along in the lower regions of this league with the prospect of relegation a 'real' possibility season on season. Now that feels better getting that off my chest....breathe!!!!
[Post edited 30 Jul 2017 7:49]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 18:06 - Jul 28 with 5279 viewssundaze

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 16:53 - Jul 28 by Axeldalai_lama

Surely the default position for a football fan who's team have had an unhorrendous, fair to middling pre season should be slight optimism, otherwise what's the point?!

Pre season games against lower league opposition are never a gauge to the season ahead, many of us have witnessed this over the last 15 seasons and precious few of those have given us much to be excited about lately. Perhaps after all this time it has become predictable and the thought of going into the new season with a manager who is very unlikely to change his style of football has tilted the default position. I would imagine that most Town fans were very optimistic after the first game at home last season, scoring goals for fun, a new signing getting a hat trick, however it didn't take long before it changed.
Why the relentless negativity from some? on 21:37 - Jul 28 with 5237 viewsAxeldalai_lama

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 18:05 - Jul 28 by christiand

Well, I'm going to give my own perspective in answering your thread Axeldalai_lama, it could be a long one, so apologies in advance. I think the build up has been fine nothing more, pre-season is about getting the team prepared and match fit for the new season. I don't really read anything into the results at this stage, so not overly concerned about last Saturday's result at Gillingham. Honestly, I'm not sure that we are much stronger than last season. We have invested a small amount in some new signings whether that is paying a transfer or loan fee, although we need more players, our squad is paper thin. We have currently got 6 central midfielders missing from the squad due to injury or illness, some being potentially longer term. It's encouraging about the youngsters, but it is a lot to expect them to come into the first team and hit the ground running. The Championship is a tough and unforgiving league, we aren't even sure if Nydam and Downes are good enough? Kenlock and Dozzell have a little more first team experience and show potential, but neither is an expected starter for the match against Birmingham City. It is just a lot to ask young lads making their way in the professional game to perform like experienced professionals. The standard of football over the last two seasons has been woeful and there is no getting away from that fact- the season ticket sales alone speak for themselves. Then suddenly after a summer off, we're all expecting MM to change his tactical approach and playing style? Why hasn't that been addressed before if he has had that skill set up his sleeve? Instead MM thrives on winding most of us up with his condescending post match comments, his mind-numbing negative tactics and team selections and then treats us all as idiots. I still feel he needed to go end of last season (and that won't change in my mind), I'd probably have far more optimism going into the new season with someone new at the helm. For me, too much water has passed under the bridge for things to be forgotten over the close season.

Lets get one thing straight, the club has made some dreadful decisions over recent seasons and the catalogue of errors is going to take time to heal, certainly for me. The club seems to excel at making the wrong choice in appeasing its supporters and quite frankly not giving us much consideration - look at the season ticket fiasco at the end of the season. They have tried to address things with a couple of initiatives during the summer, which is terrific, but it always seems after the horse has bolted where ITFC are concerned . Why not do your research beforehand to monitor the fans opinion or mood? I was expecting more support from ME this summer towards MM, on reflection I feel its quite tepid. To me it seems only slightly better than last summer, but we have done our business early. I do appreciate the fact that ME puts £6m of his own money into the club, however his contribution is always at a bare minimum compared to the majority of sides in our league and I have always been sceptical of his leadership. If he has lost interest, which is the vibe that is given off, then channel all your efforts in to finding a new buyer instead of making token gestures. I'm not expecting us to splash out £5m on players, the transfer fees this summer are ridiculous, but the budget that MM is given he is only allowed to shop in the bargain bucket for players. At least try and help him with some substantial monies to sign players he really wants instead of wasting it on loans or lesser players and then expect him to compete.

As you can see I have many issues with ITFC and I find it difficult to suddenly send them positive vibes (after two months) where little has really changed in my opinion. I'll be supporting ITFC and dearly hope I'm proved wrong, but until ME and MM leave us I think we'll carry on plodding along in the lower regions of this league with the prospect of relegation a 'real' possibility season on season. Now that feels better getting that off my chest....breathe!!!!

Thanks for responding.
I understand all the points you raise, and agree with a lot. I guess my OP was more about the fundamentals of being a fan. And to me that means pre season is a time for optimism, unless it's a complete sh1t shower.
I don't think many people deny that the signings could be duffs, the youths might not step up, and the football might be terrible still. I just think most seem to see the need to accentuate the positives, so to speak, to get a bit of excitement, whereas there seems to be a hardcore that can't do that. (not saying there's anything wrong with that). And not only can they not be positive, they are downright pessimistic, again completely their prerogative.
I guess people are just different, it's just a bit of a buzz kill, and I fundamentally hate hate hate the whole "if I'm wrong then happy days" excuse. Absolutely does my head in!

Either way, everyone hopes the season will be a good one, and we're all on the same side(pretty much!)
COYB.
Why the relentless negativity from some? on 08:38 - Jul 29 with 5165 viewsSuperfrans

Three quarters of your post could have been written (and was, repeatedly, over and over again) from January through to May.

For me the point about negativity is, why go on and on and not try to see some of the positive signs - willingness to spend more money in signings, play a more progressive passing game (apparently, according to reports from pre-season) etc.

Personally, I'm pleased we've brought in a few decent players (who should be an improvement) and in doing so shuffled the pack of players, which every club has to do. It's concerning that we have a few ill/injured midfielders a week out from the start of the season, but I don't really see what we can do about that, we do have a large number of central midfielders and can't sign more because of a bout of flu.

I'd also rather we had another 3/4 players through the door, but there is still a month left of the transfer window, so time yet.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 08:55 - Jul 29 with 5149 viewshoofer

It's exactly how I see it as far as I am concerned nothing has changed till we face Birmingham and out play them and beating them ,
Till that happens it's as you were for me.
Why the relentless negativity from some? on 09:28 - Jul 29 with 5130 viewsDolly2.0

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 16:19 - Jul 28 by braveblue

Where have I suggested he'll stay fit all season?

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 09:31 - Jul 29 with 5130 viewsDolly2.0

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 14:47 - Jul 28 by PJH

I was understating how I felt as being "pleased".
It obviously does not compare with my seeing us winning the League,F A Cup,UEFA Cup,Playoffs or even the win at Watford but when you salvage a point from a game that appeared to be lost (whatever the opposition) with the last kick of the match I see that as a reason to celebrate.
I have frequently said on here that the only thing that matters to me is ITFC getting a result and a draw is better than a defeat.

Once again you're understating to make a point no one would disagree with (and thus making a straw man). No one has said it's not a reason to celebrate.

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 09:43 - Jul 29 with 5118 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 09:31 - Jul 29 by Dolly2.0

Once again you're understating to make a point no one would disagree with (and thus making a straw man). No one has said it's not a reason to celebrate.

But that's my point. They were saying it's not a reason to celebrate as it was Barnsley.

'Why would any of our fans celebrate a 1-1 draw with barnsley' was something said to me after I commented about the celebrations for the equaliser. That's clearly bemoaning the celebrations.

Anyway, I'm off to cricket

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 09:54 - Jul 29 with 5105 viewsDolly2.0

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 09:43 - Jul 29 by The_Romford_Blue

But that's my point. They were saying it's not a reason to celebrate as it was Barnsley.

'Why would any of our fans celebrate a 1-1 draw with barnsley' was something said to me after I commented about the celebrations for the equaliser. That's clearly bemoaning the celebrations.

Anyway, I'm off to cricket

I'll celebrate every Town goal, so I disagree with that poster. Absolute scenes though...

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 16:23 - Jul 29 with 5066 viewssundaze

This was put on here just before the weekend, perhaps if the OP had waited until Saturday afternoon, he wouldn't have needed to ask that question.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2017 16:25]
Why the relentless negativity from some? on 16:32 - Jul 29 with 5044 viewsStokieBlue

Can we be a little bit negative about today's match?

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 17:05 - Jul 29 with 4996 viewsAxeldalai_lama

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 16:32 - Jul 29 by StokieBlue

Can we be a little bit negative about today's match?

SB

As I'm sure you realise, you are allowed to be negative at any point, and you sure as sh1t can be negative after shipping 6 goals to a league one team.
My point was only ever that it takes a certain mentality to find fault in pretty much everything the club has done, before a ball had been kicked in anger.
Now something bad has happened, there will rightly be a ton of abuse and negativity. Not a problem at all. Fill your boots.
Why the relentless negativity from some? on 17:08 - Jul 29 with 4984 viewsAxeldalai_lama

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 16:23 - Jul 29 by sundaze

This was put on here just before the weekend, perhaps if the OP had waited until Saturday afternoon, he wouldn't have needed to ask that question.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2017 16:25]

Yep, very true, because something sh1t has happened, generating negativity.
Up to this point it was possible(probable, really) to be optimistic about the positive things that had occured so far, now they look like a shower of sh1te so yep, negativity for all.
Why the relentless negativity from some? on 17:13 - Jul 29 with 4967 viewsClausThomsen

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 17:08 - Jul 29 by Axeldalai_lama

Yep, very true, because something sh1t has happened, generating negativity.
Up to this point it was possible(probable, really) to be optimistic about the positive things that had occured so far, now they look like a shower of sh1te so yep, negativity for all.

Something sh1t had happened before that though - our worst finish in most supporter's lifetimes.

The negativity is natural, and there's only one cure - a fresh start with a new manager.
Why the relentless negativity from some? on 17:22 - Jul 29 with 4949 viewsAxeldalai_lama

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 17:13 - Jul 29 by ClausThomsen

Something sh1t had happened before that though - our worst finish in most supporter's lifetimes.

The negativity is natural, and there's only one cure - a fresh start with a new manager.

yep,worst finish in 58 years or whatever.
Followed by buying 5 or so decent players, promoting some youths, and playing okay, vaguely progressive football in a match or two.
This COULD, and was be seen as postive by many normal foolhardy fans, until todays shower of sh1te obviously.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024