Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK 22:56 - Aug 1 with 18123 viewsgtsb1966

Anyone watch it. I did. I don't understand it to be honest. I can't understand how people of the same sex can be attracted to each other. It doesn't bother me but the programme was about violence towards the gay community. Does gay pride fuel the fire?
BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 13:17 - Aug 2 with 4159 viewsRyorry

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 12:54 - Aug 2 by GlasgowBlue

That's how I read it.

I can see that now you & others have explained how you interpreted it, but I'm afraid it did come across very differently to many others incl me. Obviously not something to blame anyone for, but it would seem he simply didn't express what he actually meant very well. Internet commz.

I don't understand how sensible, intelligent people can believe there's a supposedly omnipotent God up there responsible for us/the planet, but I do try to read/listen/educate myself about their feelings/stance. Maybe that's what the op was after, dunno, but CC & others are certainly doing an ace job with the info/education!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 13:18 - Aug 2 with 4157 viewsunbelievablue

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 13:15 - Aug 2 by GavTWTD

Downvoting a post doesn't have to mean they were offended by it just that they don't like or disagree with it. I downvoted it, I wasnt offended. If you post something controversial, its quite fair to up or down vote it and its interesting to see numerically how popular that viewpoint is without each discussing it.

Some people did report abuse though.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 13:23 - Aug 2 with 4129 viewsRyorry

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 13:18 - Aug 2 by unbelievablue

"Some"? surely it only takes one?

That did surprise me, but then some people (incl myself at times I admit!) sometimes just don't read posts carefully enough before reacting.

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 13:24 - Aug 2 with 4130 viewsgtsb1966

Downvoting a post doesn't have to mean they were offended by it just that they don't like or disagree with it. I downvoted it, I wasnt offended. If you post something controversial, its quite fair to up or down vote it and its interesting to see numerically how popular that viewpoint is without each discussing it.

I didn't think it was controversial to be honest otherwise I wouldn't have posted. Maybe it's time to give the board a rest for a while . Keep up the good work.
BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 13:25 - Aug 2 with 4124 viewsGavTWTD

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 13:18 - Aug 2 by unbelievablue

Yeah I think one person did out of the thousands that use the site. At first glance the post did look homophobic but I dont think it is.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 13:26 - Aug 2 with 4121 viewsunbelievablue

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 13:23 - Aug 2 by Ryorry

"Some"? surely it only takes one?

That did surprise me, but then some people (incl myself at times I admit!) sometimes just don't read posts carefully enough before reacting.

Okay, someone. Could have been more than one and I reckon it was.

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 13:29 - Aug 2 with 4116 viewsGavTWTD

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 13:24 - Aug 2 by gtsb1966

I didn't think it was controversial to be honest otherwise I wouldn't have posted. Maybe it's time to give the board a rest for a while . Keep up the good work.

I think it's controversial to suggest that gay pride "fuels the fire" of violence towards gay people, which is what i down-voted. I quite understand the rest of your post.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 13:31 - Aug 2 with 4105 viewsgtsb1966

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 13:29 - Aug 2 by GavTWTD

I think it's controversial to suggest that gay pride "fuels the fire" of violence towards gay people, which is what i down-voted. I quite understand the rest of your post.

I didn't suggest it though did I. I asked the question. Easier to pull the whole thread if it upsets people which it wasn't intended to do.
Login to get fewer ads

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 13:32 - Aug 2 with 4099 viewsunbelievablue

I don't think it's that controversial to ask the question.

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 13:34 - Aug 2 with 4080 viewsblue_oyster

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 13:32 - Aug 2 by unbelievablue

I don't think it's that controversial to ask the question.

It's not. What is controversial is people who wish to suppress those questions, because they disagree with you.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 13:35 - Aug 2 with 4084 viewsLord_Lucan

I fully appreciate that but as soon as I read the post I knew it would be misinterpreted which is why I pretty immediately posted what I did last night.

The Mumsnet comment wasn't really aimed at this thread. Unfortunately there seems to have been a recent phenomenon where some posters are just looking for something to be offended by and it's not healthy.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2017 13:45]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 13:36 - Aug 2 with 4086 viewsRyorry

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 13:31 - Aug 2 by gtsb1966

I didn't suggest it though did I. I asked the question. Easier to pull the whole thread if it upsets people which it wasn't intended to do.

Fair enough, you did put it as a question.

I certainly don't think the thread should have been pulled - on the contrary, I think it's been enlightening, as much so about internet comms/forum dynamics as the topic itself!

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 13:39 - Aug 2 with 4084 viewsGavTWTD

Its a good topic to discuss, no need to remove it especially as a few of the channels are doing a lot of gay related programming at the moment. But you shoudnt worry about a few down votes.

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 13:45 - Aug 2 with 4070 viewsgtsb1966

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 13:39 - Aug 2 by GavTWTD

Its a good topic to discuss, no need to remove it especially as a few of the channels are doing a lot of gay related programming at the moment. But you shoudnt worry about a few down votes.

Believe me I'm not but thanks.
BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 13:51 - Aug 2 with 4052 viewsBlueLikeJazz

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 13:24 - Aug 2 by gtsb1966

The "Does Gay Pride fuel the fire?" line was the bit that made me twitch a bit. But it's been a good thread on the whole, so it would be a shame if you left because of it.
BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 13:57 - Aug 2 with 4031 viewsunbelievablue

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 13:51 - Aug 2 by BlueLikeJazz

The "Does Gay Pride fuel the fire?" line was the bit that made me twitch a bit. But it's been a good thread on the whole, so it would be a shame if you left because of it.

It probably does, in my honest opinion, on some occasions. The mindset of 'I have no problem with it behind closed doors or even openly to an extent, but why all the flamboyance?' is still quite prevalent.

I've recently been increasingly exposed (wahey) to more gay people in my life and through talking to them, learnt a lot about the crap they get even in a city as liberal as London.

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 13:59 - Aug 2 with 4029 viewsGlasgowBlue

I don't think it's controversial to ask that question. There are obviously a number of homophobic people in the country and a march such as Gay Pride will certainly make them angry.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 14:08 - Aug 2 with 4009 viewsLord_Lucan

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 13:57 - Aug 2 by unbelievablue

It probably does, in my honest opinion, on some occasions. The mindset of 'I have no problem with it behind closed doors or even openly to an extent, but why all the flamboyance?' is still quite prevalent.

I've recently been increasingly exposed (wahey) to more gay people in my life and through talking to them, learnt a lot about the crap they get even in a city as liberal as London.

I saw an interesting film the other evening called "Against the Law" which was about Peter Wildebloods' arrest and trial for homosexuality in the late 50's and watching it really shows how far we have come.

It is plainly obvious that homosexuality is not a lifestyle choice and I have absolutely no problem with it.

I do though feel uncomfortable though with gay people kissing and frolicking in public in the same way that I feel uncomfortable with straight people doing the same. It's just that a larger number of gays find this acceptable and I think they often just do it for effect.

I also question the reason for a gay supporters club and similar - in the same way that I question things like the black lawyers association, to me there is no longer a need or purpose for things like this as it continues to divide. Gay pubs and clubs are another thing, it allows gays to go on the pull without the fear of offending someone and getting their bonce caved in.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 14:10 - Aug 2 with 4012 viewsunbelievablue

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 14:08 - Aug 2 by Lord_Lucan

I saw an interesting film the other evening called "Against the Law" which was about Peter Wildebloods' arrest and trial for homosexuality in the late 50's and watching it really shows how far we have come.

It is plainly obvious that homosexuality is not a lifestyle choice and I have absolutely no problem with it.

I do though feel uncomfortable though with gay people kissing and frolicking in public in the same way that I feel uncomfortable with straight people doing the same. It's just that a larger number of gays find this acceptable and I think they often just do it for effect.

I also question the reason for a gay supporters club and similar - in the same way that I question things like the black lawyers association, to me there is no longer a need or purpose for things like this as it continues to divide. Gay pubs and clubs are another thing, it allows gays to go on the pull without the fear of offending someone and getting their bonce caved in.

Two points on your post:

1. For effect? I don't buy it.
2. Gay bars and clubs are also fantastic.

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 14:19 - Aug 2 with 3994 viewsSteve_M

I think the question on Pride was more provocative than you might have intended but it's been a good thread without the nastiness that sometimes occurs on similar subjects.

Hopefully you won't feel the need to take a break from this place as you come across as someone who generally thinks about things and asks questions. I think the fact you've stuck around and replied to the thread shows it was well meant and not the approach of those who troll on such matters.

Edit: to clarify the Q I meant.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2017 14:44]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 14:36 - Aug 2 with 3972 viewsjaykay

why i mention the down vote thing was the op asked a ? i wouldnt up vote or down vote someone for that. as lucan said he could see where the op was coming from i was glad i wasnt the only one. i am very left wing and by other peoples reasons that make me very easily offended ,but i could not see any offence in asking a question if i watched a t.v. programme or the 2nd question did gay pride add fuel to the fire

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 15:31 - Aug 2 with 3930 viewsitfcjoe

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 14:10 - Aug 2 by unbelievablue

Two points on your post:

1. For effect? I don't buy it.
2. Gay bars and clubs are also fantastic.

I think it's just probably more noticeable than for effect, it's not (in Ipswich anyway) something you see everyday so when you do you tend to notice it - rightly or wrongly

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 15:43 - Aug 2 with 3906 viewsgordon

If it were a lifestyle choice, that would be fine too though, wouldn't it?

So long as there is discrimination against minority groups, minority groups will work together to try and overcome discrimination, and will feel more comfortable amongst people they know won't be discriminating.

It's for black lawyers to decide when the black lawyers association is no longer needed, just as its for lesbian pastry chefs to decide when the lesbian pastry chefs association is no longer needed.

I've never been swamped by frolicking gays, so can't comment on the main thrust of your post.
BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 15:51 - Aug 2 with 3901 viewsGlasgowBlue

Corbyn believes it's a lifestyle choice.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/02/02/jeremy-corbyn-under-fire-for-saying-people-choose-

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 16:20 - Aug 2 with 3870 viewsLord_Lucan

BBC2 ..is it safe to be gay in the UK on 15:43 - Aug 2 by gordon

If it were a lifestyle choice, that would be fine too though, wouldn't it?

So long as there is discrimination against minority groups, minority groups will work together to try and overcome discrimination, and will feel more comfortable amongst people they know won't be discriminating.

It's for black lawyers to decide when the black lawyers association is no longer needed, just as its for lesbian pastry chefs to decide when the lesbian pastry chefs association is no longer needed.

I've never been swamped by frolicking gays, so can't comment on the main thrust of your post.

Well you are being plain daft.

It is impossible to be a lifestyle choice, you would need to be attracted to someone in the first place, it is in your DNA.

I feel the same way about a black lawyers association as I would a white lawyers association in as much as both would be decisive and racist. We are thankfully at the stage where if a black lawyer thought he or she were being held back or picked on because of their colour then there relevant authorises in place to deal with this. We are not living in the dark ages.

I notice you mentioned frolicking gays and not frolicking heterosexuals - who I also referred to - so I draw you to my earlier post about people taking offence because, well they just like to be offended.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2017 16:21]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024