Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any good restaurants in Diss? 09:21 - Aug 29 with 4841 viewsTVRBlue

Having a weekend visit to Diss in a few weeks and looking for recommendations for a good restaurant for an evening meal.

Are there any decent Italian/Indian/Thai/Chinese places there? Or, just as importantly, are there any that should be avoided at all costs!!!

PM if you'd prefer.

Thanks.

TVRBlue.
Any good restaurants in Diss? on 09:35 - Aug 29 with 3553 viewsLord_Lucan

There is an Indian up the top of Mere St which is near what I think is or used to be the old post office that isn't too shabby.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Any good restaurants in Diss? on 09:35 - Aug 29 with 3552 viewsHeathlander

There used to be but they've all gone or shut down now.

Diss Town, is coming like a ghost town.
Any good restaurants in Diss? on 10:27 - Aug 29 with 3507 viewshoppy

Blimey, a whole weekend in Diss? I've only ever passed through there on the way to somewhere else. Isn't that what most people do?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Any good restaurants in Diss? on 10:30 - Aug 29 with 3498 viewsLord_Lucan

Any good restaurants in Diss? on 10:27 - Aug 29 by hoppy

Blimey, a whole weekend in Diss? I've only ever passed through there on the way to somewhere else. Isn't that what most people do?

It used to be a crack on Fridays. Long before all day opening the pubs in Diss were open all day on market day. Plus they had a massive amount of pubs for such a small place.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Any good restaurants in Diss? on 10:32 - Aug 29 with 3494 viewsTVRBlue

Any good restaurants in Diss? on 09:35 - Aug 29 by Heathlander

There used to be but they've all gone or shut down now.

Diss Town, is coming like a ghost town.

Ha, ha, ha! That made me chuckle!
Any good restaurants in Diss? on 10:36 - Aug 29 with 3488 viewsTVRBlue

Any good restaurants in Diss? on 10:27 - Aug 29 by hoppy

Will arrive mid afternoon and will be leaving after brekkie the following day so not quite a "whole" weekend!

Diss has some very old/historic buildings in places and is quite a "quaint" market town.

Also, I'm led to believe it has some good pubs - which I'll be frequenting!
Any good restaurants in Diss? on 10:39 - Aug 29 with 3479 viewsTVRBlue

Any good restaurants in Diss? on 10:30 - Aug 29 by Lord_Lucan

It used to be a crack on Fridays. Long before all day opening the pubs in Diss were open all day on market day. Plus they had a massive amount of pubs for such a small place.

Thank you your Lordship!

I've driven past a pub in Diss that overlooks a large "village green" area (not quite Bentley-esq though!) that looks like it could be a good watering hole. I think it's along the road from that little roundabout near the chippy.

Anyway, I'll give it a try.

Cheers.

TVR Blue.
Any good restaurants in Diss? on 10:49 - Aug 29 with 3453 viewsBactonBlue

Happy Palace Chinese is top notch and the Thatchers needle is pretty good for some pub grub.
Login to get fewer ads

Any good restaurants in Diss? on 11:13 - Aug 29 with 3421 viewsgreyhound

Any good restaurants in Diss? on 10:49 - Aug 29 by BactonBlue

Happy Palace Chinese is top notch and the Thatchers needle is pretty good for some pub grub.

Happy palace is a fantastic Chinese. Very good service as well. Spice cottage is the Indian St the top of the high street and is also good quality. Very fair portion size for your cash as well
Any good restaurants in Diss? on 11:29 - Aug 29 with 3399 viewsLord_Lucan

Thatchers Needle?

It's a Martsons Inns for crying out load = same same ding dong.

OP/ The pub you mention is probably The Cock, it used to be owned by Stephan the mad Polak, Stephan used to roll about in his underpants in the snow on the green at the first spread of it. He was absolutely insane and almost definitely dead now.

The Two Brewers used to be a great pub but last time I went in it was full of fat women with lots of Morrisons shopping bags. Just down the road is The Greyhound which is a safe bet, not good and not bad, continually 50/50. Just down the road and around the corner is The White Horse which is the most pub pub but full of yellow and green regalia. Next to The Mere is The Waterfront which is another identikit pub but next to the water so nice view on a sunny day, this used to be a great pub called The Sun but was ruined. I think The Saracens Head at the top near the White Horse is more of a food pub now (I went and it was poor).

Apparently The Cock is a nice place these days but it's a bit of a walk to where the other pubs are.

Footnote; I haven't been to Diss since my Dad died 4 years ago so everything may have changed.

Edit; Oh, there is / was a nice little wine bar on the same hill as The Greyhound but the opposite side of the road - just up from a chippy.
[Post edited 29 Aug 2017 11:32]

Any good restaurants in Diss? on 11:43 - Aug 29 with 3371 viewsartsbossbeard

Any good restaurants in Diss? on 11:29 - Aug 29 by Lord_Lucan

Thatchers Needle?

OP/ The pub you mention is probably The Cock, it used to be owned by Stephan the mad Polak, Stephan used to roll about in his underpants in the snow on the green at the first spread of it. He was absolutely insane and almost definitely dead now.

The Two Brewers used to be a great pub but last time I went in it was full of fat women with lots of Morrisons shopping bags. Just down the road is The Greyhound which is a safe bet, not good and not bad, continually 50/50. Just down the road and around the corner is The White Horse which is the most pub pub but full of yellow and green regalia. Next to The Mere is The Waterfront which is another identikit pub but next to the water so nice view on a sunny day, this used to be a great pub called The Sun but was ruined. I think The Saracens Head at the top near the White Horse is more of a food pub now (I went and it was poor).

Apparently The Cock is a nice place these days but it's a bit of a walk to where the other pubs are.

Footnote; I haven't been to Diss since my Dad died 4 years ago so everything may have changed.

Edit; Oh, there is / was a nice little wine bar on the same hill as The Greyhound but the opposite side of the road - just up from a chippy.

Isn't there a decent gaff in Scole though?

Weavers??

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Any good restaurants in Diss? on 11:57 - Aug 29 with 3351 viewsbracknell_blue

Any good restaurants in Diss? on 10:36 - Aug 29 by TVRBlue

Will arrive mid afternoon and will be leaving after brekkie the following day so not quite a "whole" weekend!

Diss has some very old/historic buildings in places and is quite a "quaint" market town.

Also, I'm led to believe it has some good pubs - which I'll be frequenting!

There is a new micropub in Diss - the Jolly Porter at the station. Run by the guy who owns the nearby Hoxne brewery.

Poll: Should Thatcher have a state funeral

Any good restaurants in Diss? on 12:05 - Aug 29 with 3340 viewsLord_Lucan

Any good restaurants in Diss? on 11:43 - Aug 29 by artsbossbeard

Weavers??

Well you have The Crossways which is a nice enough pub with nice enough pub food or you have The Scole Inn which is generally in turmoil. I was in there some time back and asked for some whipped cream for Mothers desert - only to be told that the person who whips the cream wasn't in today.

I had a similar experience at the god awful Roti - Indian restaurant - in Norwich Friday evening. I had a rather unusual red dipping sauce with my poppadoms so I asked what sauce it was (I was thinking possibly pomegranate) only to be told it was "Red sauce", I then asked what was in the "Red sauce" to which I was informed "Onions and spices" and he then walked off.

It was an awful meal as well.

Any good restaurants in Diss? on 12:06 - Aug 29 with 3336 viewsimsureazzure

There is a Thai restaurant just down the road from the greyhound I haven't been but know people who say it is decent.
Any good restaurants in Diss? on 12:32 - Aug 29 with 3287 viewsBluestar

Any good restaurants in Diss? on 11:43 - Aug 29 by artsbossbeard

Weavers??

Weavers used to be good. Not sure what it's like these days.
Any good restaurants in Diss? on 13:12 - Aug 29 with 3248 viewsBecclesITFC

The Waterfront is a Green King pub. Nice setting. Food was OK. Upgrade from Spoons but it is old school pub grub, which is slightly outdated. I STRONGLY recommend the kings head in Brockdish. Food is amazing. Specializes in Pizza, have a pizza oven etc etc. Recommend booking as it's the best place for miles around that way. You wont be disappointed. about 5 miles from Diss.
Any good restaurants in Diss? on 18:49 - Aug 29 with 3145 viewsblue442

If your prepared to go a mile or so out of diss the manor house at wortham does very nice Chinese food

Poll: Would Chambers play if he wasnt captain

Any good restaurants in Diss? on 18:58 - Aug 29 with 3126 viewsnodge_blue

Weavers in the centre up market hill is about the only decent place.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Any good restaurants in Diss? on 18:58 - Aug 29 with 3126 viewsuppersirbob

Teachers needle is a marstons crap ! Up the road the white hart at Roydon is good and has some good real ales it's a free house to
Any good restaurants in Diss? on 19:03 - Aug 29 with 3119 viewsTVRBlue

Any good restaurants in Diss? on 11:29 - Aug 29 by Lord_Lucan

Thatchers Needle?

Thanks LL. Yes, the pub you mention is The Cock, so thanks for reminding me.

Stephan seemed a character and a half!

Other great pub recommendations as well so thanks again - 'tis appreciated.

Cheers.

TVRBlue.
Any good restaurants in Diss? on 19:03 - Aug 29 with 3117 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Any good restaurants in Diss? on 10:30 - Aug 29 by Lord_Lucan

Back in the day, decent night out on the piss apart from some of the resident budgies.

Sing Tong Thai in Norfolk Yard was very good, but haven,t been for a couple of years.
Weavers wine bar & eatery worth checking out.

Cock inn on Fair Green if the weather is nice to sit outside with a few beers.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Any good restaurants in Diss? on 19:04 - Aug 29 with 3111 viewsTVRBlue

Thank you BactonBlue. Would be nice to have a top notch Chinese meal for a change - some of them are so disappointing lately.

Cheers.

TVRBlue.
Any good restaurants in Diss? on 19:06 - Aug 29 with 3108 viewsTVRBlue

Any good restaurants in Diss? on 11:13 - Aug 29 by greyhound

Happy palace is a fantastic Chinese. Very good service as well. Spice cottage is the Indian St the top of the high street and is also good quality. Very fair portion size for your cash as well

Thank you Greyhound.

Chinese or Indian? Decisions, decisions!!!

Cheers.

TVRBlue.
Any good restaurants in Diss? on 19:35 - Aug 29 with 3068 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Any good restaurants in Diss? on 19:03 - Aug 29 by TVRBlue

Thanks LL. Yes, the pub you mention is The Cock, so thanks for reminding me.

Stephan seemed a character and a half!

Other great pub recommendations as well so thanks again - 'tis appreciated.

Cheers.

TVRBlue.

Stefan was a character.
Tis true what Lucan said, rolled around in the snow in his shreddies on the green. He reckoned it reminded him of Poland. Think if memory serves me right he escaped the Nazi occupation of his motherland to fight for the allies.
Only pub in Diss in the mid 70,s where us underage drinkers could get a drink although it was that foul tasting Norwich bitter or mild. Happy days.
White Horse has been closed down for a year or two, some strange regulars drank in there. (Royston Vasey springs to mind).

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Any good restaurants in Diss? on 19:43 - Aug 29 with 3050 viewsLord_Lucan

Any good restaurants in Diss? on 19:35 - Aug 29 by StochesStotasBlewe

Stefan was a character.
Tis true what Lucan said, rolled around in the snow in his shreddies on the green. He reckoned it reminded him of Poland. Think if memory serves me right he escaped the Nazi occupation of his motherland to fight for the allies.
Only pub in Diss in the mid 70,s where us underage drinkers could get a drink although it was that foul tasting Norwich bitter or mild. Happy days.
White Horse has been closed down for a year or two, some strange regulars drank in there. (Royston Vasey springs to mind).

They must have gone bankrupt after my Dad died!

Stefan gave me a bottle of Polish Spirit once and it was like rocket fuel, he also did a mean burger. His best claim to fame was he offered a Ploughpersons Lunch long before PC.

I went to school in Diss for a few desperate years (late 70's / early 80's) and we used to drink mainly in The Sun - but some couldn't get in, I was quite large for my age. There was another pub on Mere St but I can't remember the name - Kings Head I think.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024