Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Town down to 7th after last nights games.... 12:35 - Sep 13 with 6320 viewsHoppersblue10

.....but would you take 7th place come the end of the season?

Poll: Who do you want to win on Sunday?

Town down to 7th after last nights games.... on 12:37 - Sep 13 with 5486 viewsWallingford_Boy

Errr no.

That would be failing.

The aim is the play-offs.

But yes in reality we are highly unlikely to finish as high as 7th.

RIP Sir Bobby

Town down to 7th after last nights games.... on 12:44 - Sep 13 with 5471 viewsBad_Boy_Mark

Without question; after last season's transitional nature, IMO 7th place would show great progression, and we could look to improve upon that position with further astute signings.

This approach could see Town promoted to the Premier League at the end of next season.
Town down to 7th after last nights games.... on 12:46 - Sep 13 with 5466 viewstextbackup

Meaning another season in this league, no ta

We窶冤l be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Town down to 7th after last nights games.... on 14:06 - Sep 13 with 5378 viewsPilgrimblue

Well I'd take that at January as it might give ME incentive to strengthen team for push into playoffs! So long as we're above Naarwich.
Town down to 7th after last nights games.... on 14:11 - Sep 13 with 5364 viewsKeaneish

How can anyone in September accept 7th place? The target is 6th. MM is in his 6th season now, if he can't get us promoted irrelevant of funding, injuries blah blah it's time for change. 6th or new manager come May.

Given the performances in the last two games, 6th is way beyond us. Even with the early season victories we've looked very shakey. Writing is on the wall for me.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] テつ」2.65 Million and Waiting?

Town down to 7th after last nights games.... on 14:14 - Sep 13 with 5360 viewsblue_oyster

Of course not, it's no different from finishing 21st. Would you be happy with that?

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Town down to 7th after last nights games.... on 14:20 - Sep 13 with 5354 viewsGarv

Town down to 7th after last nights games.... on 12:44 - Sep 13 by Bad_Boy_Mark

Without question; after last season's transitional nature, IMO 7th place would show great progression, and we could look to improve upon that position with further astute signings.

This approach could see Town promoted to the Premier League at the end of next season.

We finished 7th two years ago and then finished 16th I believe. A positive finish doesn't always mean progression.

Don't see the point in accepting 7th.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Town down to 7th after last nights games.... on 14:38 - Sep 13 with 5328 viewsm14_blue

Town down to 7th after last nights games.... on 14:20 - Sep 13 by Garv

We finished 7th two years ago and then finished 16th I believe. A positive finish doesn't always mean progression.

Exactly.

If we finish seventh we may look back at the season and think it was a decent effort.

Certainly wouldn't settle for it now though, what a depressing thought.
Login to get fewer ads

Town down to 7th after last nights games.... on 14:50 - Sep 13 with 5307 viewsFreddy

Err no
Town down to 7th after last nights games.... on 15:14 - Sep 13 with 5293 viewsBad_Boy_Mark

Town down to 7th after last nights games.... on 14:20 - Sep 13 by Garv

Whilst a valid point, it is worth pointing out that a league position improvement can result in what I believe we all want... promotion.

Brighton finishing positions
14/15 - 21st
15/16 - 3rd (playoffs)
16/17 - 2nd + promoted

Huddersfield finishing positions
14/15 - 16th
15/16 - 19th (a blip, perhaps?)
16/17 - 5th + promoted

IMHO, the club as a whole would have learned from the last time we were in such a position, and as a result wouldn't take the same approach.

Some astute investment at the right time could make all the difference.
Town down to 7th after last nights games.... on 15:24 - Sep 13 with 5279 viewsNo9

with the current set up I believe most would be happy?
Town down to 7th after last nights games.... on 15:28 - Sep 13 with 5275 viewsJohnny_Boy

Can you explain why this year is somehow a 'transitional' period?
Town down to 7th after last nights games.... on 15:36 - Sep 13 with 5269 viewsBad_Boy_Mark

Town down to 7th after last nights games.... on 15:28 - Sep 13 by Johnny_Boy

Can you explain why this year is somehow a 'transitional' period?

Last year my friend, not this year
Town down to 7th after last nights games.... on 15:38 - Sep 13 with 5265 viewsgoat_man

Absolutely not. If we're not aiming for top two after the start we had then when are we ever going to?
If you aim for the stars you clear the mountain, if you aim for the top of the mountain you smash into the foot hills.
Town down to 7th after last nights games.... on 15:51 - Sep 13 with 5253 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Said that every season since 2002
Town down to 7th after last nights games.... on 15:56 - Sep 13 with 5245 viewsBad_Boy_Mark

Town down to 7th after last nights games.... on 15:51 - Sep 13 by FrowsyArmLarry

Said that every season since 2002

Very true...it has to be our year soon... surely?
Town down to 7th after last nights games.... on 15:59 - Sep 13 with 5239 viewsJohnny_Boy

Town down to 7th after last nights games.... on 15:36 - Sep 13 by Bad_Boy_Mark

Last year my friend, not this year

What was transitional about last year, to create such a difference this season?

Transitional implies a change of manager, or Board. You could perhaps imply funding too, but we've not spent large swathes of cash either.

The only thing I can think of in reference to your choice of wording, is that he's recruited well in the Rangers pair.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2017 16:04]
Town down to 7th after last nights games.... on 16:46 - Sep 13 with 5197 viewsbraveblue

We will get nowhere near 7th.
Town down to 7th after last nights games.... on 16:54 - Sep 13 with 5188 viewsBad_Boy_Mark

Town down to 7th after last nights games.... on 15:59 - Sep 13 by Johnny_Boy

What was transitional about last year, to create such a difference this season?

Transitional implies a change of manager, or Board. You could perhaps imply funding too, but we've not spent large swathes of cash either.

The only thing I can think of in reference to your choice of wording, is that he's recruited well in the Rangers pair.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2017 16:04]

Happy to be corrected if I am mistaken but last season we lost our top scorer in the August transfer window without replacing him with sufficient quality.

We paid fees for Grant Ward (approx 600K) and Kieffer Moore (approx 10K), and supplemented these signings with a combination of frees and loans. NB: from memory, we may have signed one more for a fee but I cannot remember at the moment, Webster perhaps?

It appeared as though ME was unwilling to fund any major signings, so Mick and TC had to work with one hand tied behind their backs.

This season the purse strings have been loosened; we have Huws, Garner and Waghorn, and depending upon your source, we have spent between ツ」2m - ツ」3m on those three players alone.

Right there marks the transition from last season's minimal spending and disappointing football (with the odd exception) to this season's much greater spend and far better football (at times).

Goals, points (we are right on the '2 points per game' guideline which if continued will see us right in the automatic promotion mix), and as a result PR seems a happier place to be.

Personally, I think this season will be a little too soon for us to have a real impact on the promotion race. With further astute signings, great support, and little luck with injuries, suspensions, etc, we could be a real force next season.
Town down to 7th after last nights games.... on 17:26 - Sep 13 with 5161 viewsKeaneish

Town down to 7th after last nights games.... on 15:14 - Sep 13 by Bad_Boy_Mark

Whilst a valid point, it is worth pointing out that a league position improvement can result in what I believe we all want... promotion.

Brighton finishing positions
14/15 - 21st
15/16 - 3rd (playoffs)
16/17 - 2nd + promoted

Huddersfield finishing positions
14/15 - 16th
15/16 - 19th (a blip, perhaps?)
16/17 - 5th + promoted

IMHO, the club as a whole would have learned from the last time we were in such a position, and as a result wouldn't take the same approach.

Some astute investment at the right time could make all the difference.

Not just about investment though. MM has deliberately chosen a thinner squad this year in order to get more quality in with the wage bill available and its back fired a little already - force majeure maybe. More investment might add more bodies to the cause but given the football has scarcely improved since last year, what difference does it make?

I think we're soon going to have to face the reality that MM can't deliver and isn't good enough to deliver with whatever constraints people deem he has.

Town down to 7th after last nights games.... on 18:22 - Sep 13 with 5127 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Town down to 7th after last nights games.... on 15:56 - Sep 13 by Bad_Boy_Mark

Very true...it has to be our year soon... surely?

Said a voice in the crowd at Torquay United
Town down to 7th after last nights games.... on 20:48 - Sep 13 with 5039 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Town down to 7th after last nights games.... on 14:11 - Sep 13 by Keaneish

How can anyone in September accept 7th place? The target is 6th. MM is in his 6th season now, if he can't get us promoted irrelevant of funding, injuries blah blah it's time for change. 6th or new manager come May.

Given the performances in the last two games, 6th is way beyond us. Even with the early season victories we've looked very shakey. Writing is on the wall for me.

Surely by that logic promotion is the target, not finishing 6th

Finishing 3rd and losing in the playoffs is hardly any different to finishing 7th, apart from getting a couple of extra games

I wouldn't snap anyone's hand off for 7th, but if we end up finishing there it can hardly be considered a bad season, IMO

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Town down to 7th after last nights games.... on 21:01 - Sep 13 with 5024 viewsKeaneish

Town down to 7th after last nights games.... on 20:48 - Sep 13 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Surely by that logic promotion is the target, not finishing 6th

Finishing 3rd and losing in the playoffs is hardly any different to finishing 7th, apart from getting a couple of extra games

I wouldn't snap anyone's hand off for 7th, but if we end up finishing there it can hardly be considered a bad season, IMO

We're not good enough for 3rd. We may be good enough to scrape 6th and roll the dice in the play-offs. Promotion is the target but MM has always stated 6th is the ambition, not 7th so that should be what were aiming for.

Town down to 7th after last nights games.... on 08:15 - Sep 14 with 4929 viewsHerbivore

Town down to 7th after last nights games.... on 21:01 - Sep 13 by Keaneish

We're not good enough for 3rd. We may be good enough to scrape 6th and roll the dice in the play-offs. Promotion is the target but MM has always stated 6th is the ambition, not 7th so that should be what were aiming for.

He's said top 6 is the target, not 6th. If we're definitely nowhere near good enough for 3rd then 6th seems unlikely too.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Town down to 7th after last nights games.... on 08:31 - Sep 14 with 4918 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Town down to 7th after last nights games.... on 21:01 - Sep 13 by Keaneish

I assume if Mick said avoiding relegation was the target you'd agree we should be aiming for 21st?

I put a thread on at the start of the season asking what realistically people would see as a good season, and the general consensus was top 10 and mounting something of a playoff challenge, along with playing some better football and continuing to develop the youngsters. All things considered (last year, budget etc) I tend to agree that would be a decent effort

That said, I wouldn't be settling for 7th right now by any stretch - we're highly unlikely to be relegated and in reality there isn't any difference between 7th and 15th so may aswell go for it. But 7th would still be a very good season if we end up there, IMO

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024