Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? 09:27 - Oct 24 with 6735 viewsAxeldalai_lama

I think we've all agreed that both ME and MM have run their course. I think we can at least vaguely agree that they've helped us through some difficult times in their own way, but aren't quite cutting it now for differing reasons.
Quite a few ranting raging people are f-ing and blinding about the whole thing when in reality we haven't had it that bad(boring, mediocre and pointless but not terrible), and that attitude tends to divide the support and annoy those targetted.
Could we not take the moral high ground and start a "thanks for what you've done, but lets move on" kind of campaign? This could still build momentum to the end of the season so Mick knows he was wanted but no longer is, and ME might think about selling. The supporters club and similar could publicly back this kind of campaign as it's hardly divisive. Plus the comedy aspect of not being the average modern football fan demanding sucess might be novel.
I know lots of people will deem it pathetic, but is it not a more constructive option than a few bed sheets and people telling Mick and ME to F off?
Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 12:25 - Oct 24 with 1796 viewsitfcjoe

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 12:19 - Oct 24 by portmanking

Players capable of handling the ball in tight areas are 10-a-penny?! I wish that was the case in the first team!

I dispute the fact that young players coming through have to be brutes. Your example of Forest is a microcosm, there are heaps of other talented, technical young players in the Championship thriving... Sessegnon at Fulham, Maddison at Norwich, the lad Brooks at Sheff Utd.

Nydam is a perfect case in point that he's no brick outhouse but he's able to compete, put himself about and still show for the ball - which is more than our other senior midfielders did on Sunday.

I mean if you watch academy games, every player is comfortable on the ball - like most first teamers are in reality when the pace of the game isn't as intense as the Championship.

It's not about being brutes, but they have to be up to it physically - Sessegnon is very quick and an excellent player, but to be that young and playing so regularly he is an absolute freak.

Nydam is a good example though, how anyone can see him and say they don't think McCarthy will ever play their son because they are too small shows what they need to be, how they need to compete, how they need to get around the pitch etc. The same as Flynn Downes when he has played.

Mick might not fancy certain players, but a lot of the boys in the academy will never be good enough, I can see it when i watch and am sure Mick can too.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 12:27 - Oct 24 with 1783 viewsportmanking

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 12:24 - Oct 24 by Mullet

Haven't you just proved your own point about the parents being wrong?

Maddison is 3 years older than Nydam too and hardly fresh out of the academy. Arguably if an academy lad is good enough there aren't many places other than Ipswich where they are likelier to get their break right now.

It's another myth that needs putting to bed.

The parents may be wrong, but there is certainly a disconnect between first team and Academy playing styles. There has been for many years.

I accept there needs to be a blend of physicality in the spine of any successful Championship team but the likes of Bournemouth, Swansea, Brighton etc all played easy-on-the-eye, effective possession football that won games more often than not. Not only that, they were able to integrate young players into the existing first XI structure with ease.
Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 12:29 - Oct 24 with 1775 viewsitfcjoe

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 12:27 - Oct 24 by portmanking

The parents may be wrong, but there is certainly a disconnect between first team and Academy playing styles. There has been for many years.

I accept there needs to be a blend of physicality in the spine of any successful Championship team but the likes of Bournemouth, Swansea, Brighton etc all played easy-on-the-eye, effective possession football that won games more often than not. Not only that, they were able to integrate young players into the existing first XI structure with ease.

Whilst those 3 clubs have played easy on the eye footy, which young players have they brought through?

I can think of Solly March at Brighton, that's it across the 3 clubs

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 12:31 - Oct 24 with 1767 viewsMullet

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 12:27 - Oct 24 by portmanking

There always will be. These are young lads facing young lads. There aren't going to be experienced Champ level dogs to kick them about like in the first team. Let alone the fact there's a huge attrition rate at even the most successful academies.

If anything what we've seen is that some years the crop is nowhere near good enough, some you get one or two, some you get a star and every so often you get one like now. We've waited nearly a decade and a half for it, but to suggest that failures to integrate kids is MM's fault means he deserves huge credit since last summer.

Not sure people will countenance that.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 12:35 - Oct 24 with 1761 viewsSwansea_Blue

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 09:59 - Oct 24 by monty_radio

The "Polite comes to Portman campaign"? SBR singing: "Mick McCarthy, your football is less than attractive".

Or perhaps set it up in language he understands - start off singing the opponents strengths via two sitting singers near the back with your better singers pushed to the wings. Later in the game bring a few forward to sing in a more gung-ho fashion, but probably too quietly, too late.

Seriously, quiet is not the way of the world. It's concerted noise on the Internet, the press and MotD that moves the manager. And the Championship is a bit distant from all that, and M.E. even further off.

Sadly, although some on here regularly like to note that "it's busy on here" when we lose, continuous defeat remains the ultimate shape-shifter.

'Your football is akin to faecal matter and we know you are aware of the fact!'

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 12:40 - Oct 24 with 1752 viewsWeWereZombies

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 12:35 - Oct 24 by Swansea_Blue

'Your football is akin to faecal matter and we know you are aware of the fact!'

Once upon a time crowds sang:

'All we are saying....
Is give us a goal'

to the tune of the Plastic Ono Band's 'Give Peace A Chance'

It was easy for everyone to sing, non-aggressive and got the message across. It even worked sometimes - nothing to do with what the players were doing on the pitch, of course.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 12:49 - Oct 24 with 1736 viewsportmanking

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 12:29 - Oct 24 by itfcjoe

Whilst those 3 clubs have played easy on the eye footy, which young players have they brought through?

I can think of Solly March at Brighton, that's it across the 3 clubs

Steve Cook? Charlie Daniels? Lewis Dunk? Forster-Caskey? March, as you say...
Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 13:03 - Oct 24 with 1718 viewsitfcjoe

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 12:49 - Oct 24 by portmanking

Steve Cook? Charlie Daniels? Lewis Dunk? Forster-Caskey? March, as you say...

But Steve Cook didn't make grade at Brighton before being sold, Charlie Daniels came through at Spurs - fair enough re Dunk.

But none of these clubs have great academies playing the same way as the first team and bringing players through regularly and seamlessly

Arguable Southampton were best example but their production line seems to have dried up recently - but there isn't a Barcelona in this country where the academies are producing players to step in straight away

Login to get fewer ads

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 13:08 - Oct 24 with 1711 viewshype313

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 13:03 - Oct 24 by itfcjoe

But Steve Cook didn't make grade at Brighton before being sold, Charlie Daniels came through at Spurs - fair enough re Dunk.

But none of these clubs have great academies playing the same way as the first team and bringing players through regularly and seamlessly

Arguable Southampton were best example but their production line seems to have dried up recently - but there isn't a Barcelona in this country where the academies are producing players to step in straight away

And even La Masia is struggling to get the quality needed to go into Barca's first team.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 13:47 - Oct 24 with 1682 viewsTrequartista

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 11:36 - Oct 24 by itfcjoe

But if we win the next 3 games and get back in the top 6 his plan is suddenly working.

He obviously believes what he is doing gives us the best chance of long term success within the budget and other restraints that he/football has set for the club.

Results are what matters, but if you have a long term plan that is measured and considered, one good run or bad run of form shouldn't throw you too far off course.

Win the next 3 games? Are they all against Bolton?

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024