Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FA Cup memories 08:26 - Jan 6 with 12992 viewsColchesterBlue1985

Not necessarily good or bad just memories??

Everton away 4th round I think in the late 90s, we lost 1-0 and had a last minute Wilnis goal disallowed for what seemed like nothing at the time.

Sheff Utd 4-3 - we stayed in the same hotel as the players the night before and over a beer joe royle said we are 7-4 to win tomorrow lump on us. So he did only to be 3-0 down after 30 minutes or something stupid.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2018 8:27]
FA Cup memories on 11:14 - Jan 6 with 3778 viewsfloridablue

67, the old Man City Maine Rd ground. My first ever long distance trip to watch Town who were in the old 2nd Division at the time. 5th Rd of the Cup and we held the mighty City to 1-1 and hit the bar near the end. Absolutely chucked it down all day and a large following of soaking wet Town fans went home happy. Replay the next week, over 30,000 inside Portman Rd, i'm with all the other kids sitting pitch side of the wall and Citys 'stars' stuffed us 3-0! Remember that like it was yesterday.
FA Cup memories on 11:24 - Jan 6 with 3762 viewsTractorJack

Bruce equalising at Chelsea was good. Tried to keep quiet in the home end.
FA Cup memories on 11:26 - Jan 6 with 3753 viewsFtnfwest

Millwall, will never get that memory out of my head. Wark goal at Highbury. Arnold’s goal v forest
FA Cup memories on 11:38 - Jan 6 with 3731 viewsgainsboroughblue

FA Cup memories on 08:30 - Jan 6 by GeoffSentence

Mich D'Avray nearly hitting the corner flag with a shot in a 2-1 defeat to Manchester United at For some time in the mid 80s.

That was Dozzell. D'Avray scored an o.g.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

FA Cup memories on 11:55 - Jan 6 with 3716 viewsgerard1947

FA Cup memories on 09:03 - Jan 6 by WestStanderLaLaLa

Paul Power broke my heart

Me too, The Beat broke his arm as well I seem to remember.
FA Cup memories on 11:58 - Jan 6 with 3713 viewsgerard1947

Against Liverpool at PR a very later winner from Micky Mills.
FA Cup memories on 12:08 - Jan 6 with 3705 viewsLord_Lucan

FA Cup memories on 08:37 - Jan 6 by Lower_North

Bad

Leyton Orient away in a midweek replay.Won 2-0 about 79 I think.

Dreadful violence before, during & after..

West Ham were there.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

FA Cup memories on 12:11 - Jan 6 with 3700 viewsPJH

FA Cup memories on 11:55 - Jan 6 by gerard1947

Me too, The Beat broke his arm as well I seem to remember.

The Beat's very last game for us.
Login to get fewer ads

FA Cup memories on 12:13 - Jan 6 with 3695 viewsm14_blue

A 3rd round tie at Wolves as a child (must have been mid 90's) the only time I've ever watched Town from the home end.

The packed away end erupted in blue and white balloons when the teams came out and Mogga equalised in injury time - a fantastic day.

Think we lost the replay 2-1 though.
FA Cup memories on 12:16 - Jan 6 with 3687 viewsCoastalblue

Anybody remember that away tie in Bristol when the hailstones came thundering down? I could barely look at the pitch into the wind as it was so painful, I don't know how the players continued for a few minutes there.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

FA Cup memories on 12:17 - Jan 6 with 3686 viewsgerard1947

FA Cup memories on 12:11 - Jan 6 by PJH

The Beat's very last game for us.

As he walked off he was given real stick by the City fans that were sitting in front of us especially Sid Little and Eddie Large, talentless wastes of space.
FA Cup memories on 12:22 - Jan 6 with 3673 viewsColchesterBlue1985

FA Cup memories on 12:16 - Jan 6 by Coastalblue

Anybody remember that away tie in Bristol when the hailstones came thundering down? I could barely look at the pitch into the wind as it was so painful, I don't know how the players continued for a few minutes there.

Yes Bristol rovers away we drew I think, standing on the side of the pitch.
FA Cup memories on 12:26 - Jan 6 with 3660 viewsclive_baker

FA Cup memories on 09:06 - Jan 6 by leftback

1996 against Blackburn (current champions?)
What performance from R. Wright, I was only a boy listening to wireless in my bedroom and going mental when mason scored!

This is one of my first Town memories. Listening to it in my parents kitchen up at the table. My old man sent me to bed when it went to extra time and promised he would let me know the score in the morning. I dozed off and was woken up 15 minutes later by him screaming celebrating the Mason goal! Ran down stairs and listened out the rest of the match together. IIRC Shearer after the game said Wright would never have a match like that again in his life.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

FA Cup memories on 12:30 - Jan 6 with 3647 viewsArcher4721

FA Cup memories on 08:37 - Jan 6 by Lower_North

Bad

Leyton Orient away in a midweek replay.Won 2-0 about 79 I think.

Dreadful violence before, during & after..

That was a brilliant game. Spent the whole game lobbing bricks out of the ground at the hundreds of West Ham fans outside.
FA Cup memories on 14:29 - Jan 6 with 3597 viewsgainsboroughblue

FA Cup memories on 12:13 - Jan 6 by m14_blue

A 3rd round tie at Wolves as a child (must have been mid 90's) the only time I've ever watched Town from the home end.

The packed away end erupted in blue and white balloons when the teams came out and Mogga equalised in injury time - a fantastic day.

Think we lost the replay 2-1 though.

Think you mean the game that Warky equalised in 1994. It was before Mogga's time here. You're right about the replay though.

FA Cup memories on 14:39 - Jan 6 with 3591 viewsnoggin

FA Cup memories on 12:22 - Jan 6 by ColchesterBlue1985

Yes Bristol rovers away we drew I think, standing on the side of the pitch.

Robin Turner both goals. 1978 I believe.

Poll: If KM goes now, will you applaud him when he returns with his new club?

FA Cup memories on 14:40 - Jan 6 with 3589 viewsgainsboroughblue

1. The Liverpool ties which have been perfectly covered already, albeit on another thread.
2. Southampton away 1991. Took the whole Archers End after only initially being allocated two pens. Some of our lot made it in to the side stand too and it kicked off when Dozzell gave us the lead.
3. A 4-4 draw with Bradford in '85. It was 3-3 after a ridiculous first half hour.
4. Bournemouth at home in '92. I recall a packed North Stand parting at the seas as one drunk fan decided to take a p1ss during the second half on the terraces. Attendance swelled by the issue of vouchers to see the Liverpool game in next round (even though they hadn't yet beaten Bristol Rovers)
5. Barnsley away 0-2 after the 3rd round success at Leeds '90. Nothing summed up the Jekyll and Hyde Duncan years more than that.
6. Arsenal in '93 at PR. Ultimately beaten but a great tie. Spent evening at A&E with a mate as he sprained knee during altercation at Hare and Hounds afterwards.
7. I didn't go as was a bit too young but I remember two of my uncles getting back from Luton a day late in '82 as they'd spent the night in the cells. That was the Butcher bloodied nose game.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2018 15:30]

FA Cup memories on 14:44 - Jan 6 with 3581 viewsnoggin

FA Cup memories on 14:40 - Jan 6 by gainsboroughblue

1. The Liverpool ties which have been perfectly covered already, albeit on another thread.
2. Southampton away 1991. Took the whole Archers End after only initially being allocated two pens. Some of our lot made it in to the side stand too and it kicked off when Dozzell gave us the lead.
3. A 4-4 draw with Bradford in '85. It was 3-3 after a ridiculous first half hour.
4. Bournemouth at home in '92. I recall a packed North Stand parting at the seas as one drunk fan decided to take a p1ss during the second half on the terraces. Attendance swelled by the issue of vouchers to see the Liverpool game in next round (even though they hadn't yet beaten Bristol Rovers)
5. Barnsley away 0-2 after the 3rd round success at Leeds '90. Nothing summed up the Jekyll and Hyde Duncan years more than that.
6. Arsenal in '93 at PR. Ultimately beaten but a great tie. Spent evening at A&E with a mate as he sprained knee during altercation at Hare and Hounds afterwards.
7. I didn't go as was a bit too young but I remember two of my uncles getting back from Luton a day late in '82 as they'd spent the night in the cells. That was the Butcher bloodied nose game.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2018 15:30]

I was at that Luton game. Think we won 3-0 but the thing I remember was running battles in the streets and getting ambushed on the way out.

Poll: If KM goes now, will you applaud him when he returns with his new club?

FA Cup memories on 15:01 - Jan 6 with 3568 viewsbluejake78

FA Cup memories on 14:39 - Jan 6 by noggin

Robin Turner both goals. 1978 I believe.

Two special trains on for that match which started at Bury.We got the seats with the tables so played cards.4 crates of Abbot under the table.
I was in the open cold end.
The journey back was a blur.
I also did Preston away the following year.Those trains were a brilliant way to travel.
FA Cup memories on 15:16 - Jan 6 with 3549 viewsLord_Lucan

FA Cup memories on 14:44 - Jan 6 by noggin

I was at that Luton game. Think we won 3-0 but the thing I remember was running battles in the streets and getting ambushed on the way out.

As far as the running battles go it was certainly a game of two halves!

We lost the second!

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

FA Cup memories on 15:17 - Jan 6 with 3549 viewsm14_blue

FA Cup memories on 14:29 - Jan 6 by gainsboroughblue

Think you mean the game that Warky equalised in 1994. It was before Mogga's time here. You're right about the replay though.

Indeed, pretty bad error!

In my defence I was only 6...
FA Cup memories on 15:43 - Jan 6 with 3525 viewsimsureazzure

FA Cup memories on 09:30 - Jan 6 by Coastalblue

Shrewsbury away '81, never been so squashed.

The smallest steps on the terracing I have ever known, steps that were running with piss, ball spending ages in the river, rubber dolls were the only inflatables and the Ipswich special train meeting the narwich special train at Peterborough.

TWTD.
FA Cup memories on 16:03 - Jan 6 with 3504 viewsLord_Lucan

FA Cup memories on 15:43 - Jan 6 by imsureazzure

The smallest steps on the terracing I have ever known, steps that were running with piss, ball spending ages in the river, rubber dolls were the only inflatables and the Ipswich special train meeting the narwich special train at Peterborough.

TWTD.

That Peterborough thing was amazing, especially as there was no bridge or anything in the middle. I think you may be right about Shrewsbury, I had wrongly remembered it as coming back from Everton.

I remember Norwich had got stuffed at Man C. Our train had been sitting on the platform for ages and then the Norwich train pulled up alongside and continued to get commandeered by Ipswich.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2018 16:16]

FA Cup memories on 16:51 - Jan 6 with 3454 viewsbahri

1975 at home to Aston Villa. Two nil down and won 3 - 2
Bryan Hamilton came on as sub and scored twice.
The year we were cheated in the semi final against West Ham

redandella

FA Cup memories on 17:51 - Jan 6 with 3422 viewsfloridablue

FA Cup memories on 16:51 - Jan 6 by bahri

1975 at home to Aston Villa. Two nil down and won 3 - 2
Bryan Hamilton came on as sub and scored twice.
The year we were cheated in the semi final against West Ham

I've already added to this topic about my first away day FA Cup memory on a rainy day in Manchester 1967 and for home games this would probably be my favourite Cup memory. 1975 and a packed Portman Rd, 35,000 crowd, buzzing days and then onto the epic 4 games against Leeds Utd. What a Cup year that was only to be bettered in 78!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024