Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Percentage of current MPs privately educated 13:20 - Jan 22 with 9392 viewsunbelievablue

What do people think the number is? The conversation popped up today at work and the guesses varied dramatically. If anyone has the numbers, save it for a bit, because I'm intrigued as to what people think.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 14:36 - Jan 22 with 2854 viewsimsureazzure

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 14:16 - Jan 22 by BlueBadger

Interestingly enough, 45% of Conservative MP's are currently of a privately educated background...

I wonder what the percentage is for labour MP's privately educating their children?
Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 14:41 - Jan 22 with 2844 viewsGlasgowBlue

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 14:36 - Jan 22 by imsureazzure

I wonder what the percentage is for labour MP's privately educating their children?

But black mums love their kids more than white mums. Or something like that.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 14:53 - Jan 22 with 2822 viewsPinewoodblue

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 14:36 - Jan 22 by imsureazzure

14%

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 15:04 - Jan 22 with 2804 viewsPrideOfTheEast

I reckon low. 18%?
Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 15:12 - Jan 22 with 2794 viewsBlueBadger

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 14:25 - Jan 22 by SaleAway

its about 2:1 male to female representation for MPs and about 8% ethnic minority, so I don't think that's very true

Given that 13% of the country is BAME and 50% women, how did you work that one out?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 15:43 - Jan 22 with 2756 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 14:34 - Jan 22 by powinswitch

Re the Army. Joined in 81 and left 5 years ago. Substantial change in the officer class, which seemed to probably be already in place. The direct entry officers that have been going through since the early 90s certainly, can come from any background. Just as long as they are identified as possessing the leadership qualities then they will be in with a good shout. There are plenty of public school educated officers as well, but the majority are good. The few privileged ‘Ruperts’ stick out like a sore thumb.

The more major issue with today’s army is recruiting the working class council estate lads. You are probably aware we have significant recruiting problems, and I cannnot remember a fully manned Regiment. Not since Options for Change, notwithstanding robbing other units when deploying on ops. And we now have a large contingent of foreign and commonwealth guys trying to plug the gap. The opportunities when I joined, meant that this free school diner boy with a widowed mum and no suit for church parade (doubt that happens now), actually made something of himself. Great memories, great life lasting comradeship, and just like with the football, those were the days.

I googled to check the numbers and the first thing that comes up says the army is planned to be downsized to 80,000 by 2020. That's not even an army is it? I thought you needed 200,000 men to be an army group?
Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 15:56 - Jan 22 with 2747 viewschicoazul

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 14:06 - Jan 22 by imsureazzure

Slightly off topic but, I listen to a great deal of desert island discs podcasts, most interviewees are from a public school/private education background what ever their career.

It seems that public school education offers a lot more than just academic success.

Public school education gets you connected in ways nothing else offers.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 15:57 - Jan 22 with 2746 viewschicoazul

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 14:34 - Jan 22 by powinswitch

Re the Army. Joined in 81 and left 5 years ago. Substantial change in the officer class, which seemed to probably be already in place. The direct entry officers that have been going through since the early 90s certainly, can come from any background. Just as long as they are identified as possessing the leadership qualities then they will be in with a good shout. There are plenty of public school educated officers as well, but the majority are good. The few privileged ‘Ruperts’ stick out like a sore thumb.

The more major issue with today’s army is recruiting the working class council estate lads. You are probably aware we have significant recruiting problems, and I cannnot remember a fully manned Regiment. Not since Options for Change, notwithstanding robbing other units when deploying on ops. And we now have a large contingent of foreign and commonwealth guys trying to plug the gap. The opportunities when I joined, meant that this free school diner boy with a widowed mum and no suit for church parade (doubt that happens now), actually made something of himself. Great memories, great life lasting comradeship, and just like with the football, those were the days.

I see the Army are advertising to Milennials on the basis that "we will respect your mental health and sexuality" nowadays.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 16:08 - Jan 22 with 2729 viewsimsureazzure

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 15:43 - Jan 22 by FrowsyArmLarry

I googled to check the numbers and the first thing that comes up says the army is planned to be downsized to 80,000 by 2020. That's not even an army is it? I thought you needed 200,000 men to be an army group?

If the cuts that are planned get sanctioned the Army will be reduced again.

The most important public sector, defence of the realm.
Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 16:31 - Jan 22 with 2701 viewspowinswitch

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 15:43 - Jan 22 by FrowsyArmLarry

When I joined I believe the army was about 160,000 strong. Within 12 months we were conducting a full blown, independent operation in the Falklands, continuing a long term operation in Northern Ireland, making a significant contribution to a standing operational NATO force in Europe, on top of significant overseas garrisons in Hong Kong, Cyprus, Belize etc. So no you dont need 200,000.

But 80,000 is probably unable to conduct much without multinational cooperation. And of more concern is we cannot even recruit to 80,000, even with probably about 15% (perhaps more) of the fo4ce being recruited from foreign and commonwealth nations. That might not worry you, but it should. This is a very unstable world (sadly), and I cannot fathom why we no lomger have young men queueing up in sink estates in Manchester, Leeds, Glasgow, Portsmouth or wherever, to join up. Well maybe I can. Seeing youngsters returning from illconsidered ops (which I deployed on), at the same time as a period of less austerity means that the thought of spending a couple of weeks deployed in rain and sh1t on Salisbury Plain, sennelager or other training areas, is probably not that appealing. I didn’t think basic training was that hard, because what I was asked to do whilst tough, was not far from my experience of life. My perception is that distance from what life throws at youngsters today, and military life has somewhat widened. The kids can still do it, but they just ain’t prepared to.
Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 16:36 - Jan 22 with 2693 viewspowinswitch

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 15:57 - Jan 22 by chicoazul

I see the Army are advertising to Milennials on the basis that "we will respect your mental health and sexuality" nowadays.

The army understands mental health very well. The organisation accepts sexuality, although I suspect the boys in the platoon/section may be a little behind the curve. Don’t think that will change in a hurry. Some will think it should, I believe we have done fine over the last few centuries without promoting this issue. And trust me there have been gays in the army forever.
Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 16:51 - Jan 22 with 2672 viewsimsureazzure

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 16:31 - Jan 22 by powinswitch

When I joined I believe the army was about 160,000 strong. Within 12 months we were conducting a full blown, independent operation in the Falklands, continuing a long term operation in Northern Ireland, making a significant contribution to a standing operational NATO force in Europe, on top of significant overseas garrisons in Hong Kong, Cyprus, Belize etc. So no you dont need 200,000.

But 80,000 is probably unable to conduct much without multinational cooperation. And of more concern is we cannot even recruit to 80,000, even with probably about 15% (perhaps more) of the fo4ce being recruited from foreign and commonwealth nations. That might not worry you, but it should. This is a very unstable world (sadly), and I cannot fathom why we no lomger have young men queueing up in sink estates in Manchester, Leeds, Glasgow, Portsmouth or wherever, to join up. Well maybe I can. Seeing youngsters returning from illconsidered ops (which I deployed on), at the same time as a period of less austerity means that the thought of spending a couple of weeks deployed in rain and sh1t on Salisbury Plain, sennelager or other training areas, is probably not that appealing. I didn’t think basic training was that hard, because what I was asked to do whilst tough, was not far from my experience of life. My perception is that distance from what life throws at youngsters today, and military life has somewhat widened. The kids can still do it, but they just ain’t prepared to.

My son is the Army and in an elite regiment, he is coming out after 4 years, last 3 foreign exercises were cancelled due to lack of funds.

Highly trained men getting bored is not a good scenario.

Recruitment is a problem but retention is equally a problem.
Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 17:01 - Jan 22 with 2660 viewspowinswitch

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 16:51 - Jan 22 by imsureazzure

My son is the Army and in an elite regiment, he is coming out after 4 years, last 3 foreign exercises were cancelled due to lack of funds.

Highly trained men getting bored is not a good scenario.

Recruitment is a problem but retention is equally a problem.

Don’t doubt it. Very familiar words. Hope your son’s transition to 1 Civ Div goes well.
Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 17:26 - Jan 22 with 2636 viewscrunchie1978

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 14:25 - Jan 22 by SaleAway

its about 2:1 male to female representation for MPs and about 8% ethnic minority, so I don't think that's very true

Sorry I meant that in the context off securing a so called " top job" within government.
Maybe in the past they would look at the candidates education...now i feel they need to tick boxes with race and gender so education becomes secondary.
Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 21:34 - Jan 22 with 2574 viewsSarge

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 13:24 - Jan 22 by hampstead_blue

What is the reason behind the question?

If I had a choice of someone who had a world class education running my business over someone who didn't then I would go for the former.

Is it a question of who is the best person rather than which school they attended?
Also, children don't have a choice, well most don't, which school they attend.

My nephews had a choice.....Eton or St Pauls, I kid you not. One went to Eton the other St Pauls. Not their fault.

I went to a normal school in Ipswich (Westbourne) but a world class university. I think that's a good way to go for a politician as you understand the lives of ordinary working class people because you are/were one.

Although as you say it's not their fault, I think those of a private education background are less likely to have experienced the life of the people they're supposed to represent. So I'd want them running a business, but not the government.
Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 08:20 - Jan 23 with 2491 viewsSaleAway

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 17:26 - Jan 22 by crunchie1978

Sorry I meant that in the context off securing a so called " top job" within government.
Maybe in the past they would look at the candidates education...now i feel they need to tick boxes with race and gender so education becomes secondary.

https://www.gov.uk/government/ministers#cabinet-ministers

yep - spot all the women and Ethnic minorities in the cabinet....

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 11:46 - Jan 23 with 2460 viewsSaleAway

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 15:12 - Jan 22 by BlueBadger

Given that 13% of the country is BAME and 50% women, how did you work that one out?

bit confused what you're asking.... there are 400ish Male MPs compared to 200ish Female MPS... thats a 2:1 ratio.

approximately 8% of the MPs are BAME...

so we have less female MPs then we should, and we have less BAME MPs than we should, based on UK population.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024