Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wolves 21:27 - Feb 3 with 8616 viewsnewbie

Blimey that 2nd goal is like something I've never seen in the championship before. This team would be top half in the Prem no problem.
Wolves on 11:41 - Feb 4 with 1342 viewsNo9

Yes, it is not usual to see players working the ball that well in what is often a Pub league
Wolves on 11:58 - Feb 4 with 1329 viewsAce_High1

Wolves on 10:45 - Feb 4 by Guthrum

When a club's only virtue is that they have essentially won the lottery, rather than succeeding through skill and hard work, many people would feel that is somewhat hollow (tho probably not the team's own fans).

However, it would not be entirely fair to place Wolves in that category - they have clearly spent well and Nuno Espírito Santo is a very good manager who has forged those purchases into a highly effective team. Neither are their fans taking success for granted, most seem to still approach games with trepidation and treasure their wins.

But that has always been the case. Since when in any division does every team have exactly the same resources? Each team has different levels of income, number of fans etc do it doesn't matter where the money comes from. The owner wants to invest, then so be it.

It has always been the case in Football that some have more financial power than others. Yes the wealthy are now very wealthy but its no different to Man Utd in the 90's or Chelsea in the 00"s and Man City now. If anything rather than one club doing it, its more even now as at least there are 5 or 6 who are doing it to compete with each other.
Wolves on 12:37 - Feb 4 with 1305 viewsbournemouthblue

Wolves on 11:58 - Feb 4 by Ace_High1

But that has always been the case. Since when in any division does every team have exactly the same resources? Each team has different levels of income, number of fans etc do it doesn't matter where the money comes from. The owner wants to invest, then so be it.

It has always been the case in Football that some have more financial power than others. Yes the wealthy are now very wealthy but its no different to Man Utd in the 90's or Chelsea in the 00"s and Man City now. If anything rather than one club doing it, its more even now as at least there are 5 or 6 who are doing it to compete with each other.

Man United are victims of their own success now

You have 4 or 5 other clubs all mirroring their model and by having more clubs like this who can't all get into the Champions league every season, it has actually made the bigger clubs less stable. They have weakened compared to the days of the big four. Their performances on the European stage prove it.

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Wolves on 12:52 - Feb 4 with 1292 viewssparks

Wolves on 08:53 - Feb 4 by Ace_High1

Why should they feel empty? I don't get all this being ashamed of being wealthy. Their owner is willing to pump money in, its their money its up to them how they spend it. Wolves fans will be delighted as they are top of the league and winning most weeks.

People keep referencing the good old days, history, not being the same because its spending money? Truth is times change, if money is spent good luck to them. Fans support the football team and at the end of the day its all about winning and results. If money enables you to do that then great. Its not all in isolation, look back over the last 20 years, people seem to forgot the successful teams have always spent money - I don't remember Blackburn fans being ashamed when they won the league in 1995 backed by all that money at the time? I wonder if they preferred that to the good old proper football they are experiencing now in League 1?

Because the success has absolutely nothing to do with the fans, the history, the ethos, or the people surrounding that club and making that club what it is. Its entirely down to having had the pot luck to be selected by a wealthy owner, without any obvious connection with the club, prepared to flout the rules.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Wolves on 12:54 - Feb 4 with 1288 viewssparks

Wolves on 11:58 - Feb 4 by Ace_High1

Actually it hasnt. Not int he same way. The distance now is far greater than it has ever been. A bog standard premier club can spend 40m on a transfer withotu external funding.

A bog standard champ club might manage a tenth of that at absolute best, and then be stuffed for wages. The market is so inflated that you cannot buy decent prem castoffs or even loans very easily now without huge fnuds.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2018 17:05]

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Wolves on 14:09 - Feb 4 with 1255 viewsCurrie10

Wolves on 08:07 - Feb 4 by christiand

With their financial backing they certainly won't be afraid. Top 10 is certainly achievable, but breaking that top 6 seems unlikely.

Their no us circa 2000-01
Wolves on 17:02 - Feb 4 with 1215 viewsBloomBlue

Newcastle last season looked better than Wolves. Based purely on seeing them play Town twice this season I don't think they'll be that strong in the prem
Wolves on 10:39 - Feb 5 with 1145 viewsfarkenhell

Wolves on 12:52 - Feb 4 by sparks

Because the success has absolutely nothing to do with the fans, the history, the ethos, or the people surrounding that club and making that club what it is. Its entirely down to having had the pot luck to be selected by a wealthy owner, without any obvious connection with the club, prepared to flout the rules.

I can see the point you are making. However, that reasoning can fairly be applied to us when ME first took over the club, apart from FFP (which wasn't in force at that time). Substitute "flout the rules" for "fund significant spending for the first time in the club's history".

Are you saying that you would have had the same empty feeling if the money that Evans made available at that time had turned into success and promotion? I hold my hands up - I would have celebrated like a madman!

Or is the flouting of FFP the problem?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024