Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Running a half marathon... 08:37 - Feb 12 with 5040 viewsitfcjoe

...what is best to wear? Not in a running gear kind of way.

Couple of people have said should wear an ITFC shirt, as would garner some support if any town fans see me running (It's in London), or a shirt with name on so people can shout it.

Any thoughts from those that have done these events previously?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Running a half marathon... on 08:57 - Feb 12 with 4284 viewsBluefish

Definitely your name on. Anything that the crowd can connect with you. If this is a stretch for you distance wise you will be delighted at any support you can get. 10 miles + becomes very lonely if it is your 1st one

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Running a half marathon... on 08:58 - Feb 12 with 4289 viewsCambonbleu

I've done 2 London Marathons and i've learned the following:

1) Do enough training, otherwise it's absolutely awful

2) Get your name printed on your shirt it's great motivation and really keeps you going to have people encourage you by name

3) It's the only time i'd actively advocate taking sweets from strangers - people stand handing them out and they keep you going

Poll: How many Season Ticket holders will ITFC have next season?
Blog: Why All the Positivity?

Running a half marathon... on 09:13 - Feb 12 with 4254 viewsSWGF

Running a half marathon... on 08:57 - Feb 12 by Bluefish

Definitely your name on. Anything that the crowd can connect with you. If this is a stretch for you distance wise you will be delighted at any support you can get. 10 miles + becomes very lonely if it is your 1st one

Yes. Having spectated a few, name on front and also something to protect your nipples...

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Running a half marathon... on 09:13 - Feb 12 with 4251 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Depends what you’re looking for really

Name on top should get you encouragement from people watching - which will probably give you a bit of a boost

Town shirt on the other hand will probably get you the odd shout, but will also be a topic of conversation from other runners around you. So if you value chatting to others as you’re running then I’d probably go with that, although you may find chatting a struggle after 10+ miles!

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Running a half marathon... on 09:14 - Feb 12 with 4246 viewsBluefish

Running a half marathon... on 09:13 - Feb 12 by SWGF

Yes. Having spectated a few, name on front and also something to protect your nipples...

Agreed!

Running a half marathon... on 09:14 - Feb 12 with 4247 viewsle2blue

Running a half marathon... on 08:58 - Feb 12 by Cambonbleu

I've done 2 London Marathons and i've learned the following:

1) Do enough training, otherwise it's absolutely awful

2) Get your name printed on your shirt it's great motivation and really keeps you going to have people encourage you by name

3) It's the only time i'd actively advocate taking sweets from strangers - people stand handing them out and they keep you going

4)...nipple rash is a killer, plenty of lub or a rash vest.
Running a half marathon... on 09:39 - Feb 12 with 4225 viewsGlasgowBlue

You should get a number and name late which will cover anything you print on your shirt.

Make sure you wear plasters over your nipples. Especially in cold wet weather. Even if it is cold wear a lightweight top and shirts. You’ll warm up after two miles and don’t want to then run the final eleven miles feeling hot and uncomfortable.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Running a half marathon... on 09:55 - Feb 12 with 4209 viewsEJP

Your name for definite.

Which half marathon? I’m running London Landmarks on March 25th.
Login to get fewer ads

Running a half marathon... on 10:26 - Feb 12 with 4173 viewssoupytwist

I've spectated the London Marathon a few times and always look out for Town shirted runners so I can give them a shout. And Norwich ones too, so I can give them a light hearted 'Go on the scummer'. So definitely something ITFC related IF it's comfortable.

I also tend to give anyone I have a vague connection with (so anyone who is identifiably from Essex, Suffolk, Gloucestershire) and who looks like they might appreciate it, a shout of encouragement so you should get quite a bit.

And put your name on it. Especially as there probably won't be too many Joes so you you'll know they're shouting for you.
Running a half marathon... on 10:29 - Feb 12 with 4161 viewsgerard1947

I honestly can't remember how many half marathons I've done, quite a few. Good shoes most important don't wear new ones or new socks. Never worried about my vest, first one that came to hand, don't forget you'll need to pin your number to the front.

I was very careful what shorts I wore as I tended to chaff at the top of my legs. I always had Vaseline in the car ready to slop on. I ran the Cambridge half one July, it was over 80 when we finished. I checked that the Vaseline was in the car. It had melted and run out of the jar. I asked my wife if she had a cream that I could use. She found some and it stopped the chaffing. However as I ran the chap beside me glanced down and said blimey mate you've got a froth on, it was amazing. At the next drinks stop I had to flush it.
Running a half marathon... on 10:44 - Feb 12 with 4139 viewsTractor_Buck

I'm running my first half marathon at the Great East in September. It's a long journey for a long run but an opportunity that I couldn't refuse. Gives me plenty of time to train as well - current longest competitive run is 10k, although I have run a half-marathon distance as a social.

Only one concern - my club shirt (Telford Harriers) is green and gold quarters (NB: not green and yellow). I suspect it'll get me a few cheery shouts as I go round....
Running a half marathon... on 11:29 - Feb 12 with 4083 viewsWD19

Running a half marathon... on 09:55 - Feb 12 by EJP

Your name for definite.

Which half marathon? I’m running London Landmarks on March 25th.

Snap!

Knackered legs mean I can manage a half, but nothing more. Will be grinding around in about 1hr 50 if everything goes to plan.
Running a half marathon... on 11:33 - Feb 12 with 4070 viewschicoazul

I'd wear a car.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Running a half marathon... on 11:36 - Feb 12 with 4062 viewsusm

Which one are you doing Joe?

Me and my daughter are planning on doing the Hackney Half in May.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Running a half marathon... on 11:41 - Feb 12 with 4053 viewsPhilTWTD

Rhino suit, obviously!
Running a half marathon... on 11:46 - Feb 12 with 4051 viewsLord_Lucan

Running a half marathon... on 11:41 - Feb 12 by PhilTWTD

Rhino suit, obviously!

My daft mate (who certainly isn't an athlete) did the Great North Run in some bear suit. I asked him what charity he did it for and he said "none". I then asked why the hell he did it then dressed as a bear and his reply indicated that he assumed it was the normal thing to do.

Hey Joe, you know him. One of my oldest mates and often works for you, David J.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Running a half marathon... on 12:05 - Feb 12 with 4022 viewsartsbossbeard

I stupidly started a 10k last year with one of those running waterproof jackets on as it was a bit chilly.

Big mistake, as I reached the serving temperature for a Ghost ship after 3km and not only did I have to attempt to remove the thing without stopping, I also had to carry it around with me for the rest of the 10k.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Running a half marathon... on 12:08 - Feb 12 with 4008 viewsBluefish

Running a half marathon... on 11:41 - Feb 12 by PhilTWTD

Rhino suit, obviously!

Not many things in life more depressing than being overtaken in a half marathon by a rhino

Running a half marathon... on 12:10 - Feb 12 with 4003 viewsartsbossbeard

Running a half marathon... on 12:08 - Feb 12 by Bluefish

Not many things in life more depressing than being overtaken in a half marathon by a rhino

Bernie Cliffton dressed as an Ostrich must be comparable.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Running a half marathon... on 12:10 - Feb 12 with 3999 viewsTractorWood

Just a vest and shorts if it's above 2 degrees. I'm guilty of wearing too much when I run and have previously paid the price in my times for overdressing.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Running a half marathon... on 12:17 - Feb 12 with 3985 viewsitfcjoe

Cheers for all advice guys. To answer a few questions I'm doing the London Landmarks one in march as I see a few others on here are too!

I've got used to wearing a base layer, and when I opted not to the other day I ended up with really sore nipples think it will be that with a looser fitting shirt over.

Running a half marathon... on 12:18 - Feb 12 with 3980 viewsitfcjoe

Running a half marathon... on 11:46 - Feb 12 by Lord_Lucan

My daft mate (who certainly isn't an athlete) did the Great North Run in some bear suit. I asked him what charity he did it for and he said "none". I then asked why the hell he did it then dressed as a bear and his reply indicated that he assumed it was the normal thing to do.

Hey Joe, you know him. One of my oldest mates and often works for you, David J.

I assume that's David J the brickie not Jake who is also David Jay who works for us....?!

That's ridiculous though, poor bloke!

Running a half marathon... on 12:23 - Feb 12 with 3969 viewsPhilTWTD

Running a half marathon... on 12:10 - Feb 12 by artsbossbeard

Bernie Cliffton dressed as an Ostrich must be comparable.

Or self-styled slow winger Darren Currie, of course.
Running a half marathon... on 12:49 - Feb 12 with 3916 viewsLord_Lucan

Running a half marathon... on 12:18 - Feb 12 by itfcjoe

I assume that's David J the brickie not Jake who is also David Jay who works for us....?!

That's ridiculous though, poor bloke!

Crazy Dave, the Brickie.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Running a half marathon... on 17:24 - Feb 12 with 3820 viewsGlasgowBlue

Running a half marathon... on 12:17 - Feb 12 by itfcjoe

Cheers for all advice guys. To answer a few questions I'm doing the London Landmarks one in march as I see a few others on here are too!

I've got used to wearing a base layer, and when I opted not to the other day I ended up with really sore nipples think it will be that with a looser fitting shirt over.

That's why you should use those circular corn plasters on your nips.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024