Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What sort of player are/were you? 12:50 - Mar 20 with 17427 viewsRobTheMonk

Let's have something a little different. If you've ever played football what sort of player were you? Position, strengths, weaknesses etc.

I started as a goalkeeper but had a plethora of shoulder dislocations which has curtailed that. I now mainly play 5/6 a side.

Strengths - Both footed. Good passer. Good first touch.

Weaknesses - Slow. Stamina. Shooting in game - in warmup they fly in haha!
What sort of player are/were you? on 13:34 - Mar 20 with 2277 viewsFixed_It

Left wing - mainly because I was the only one who could use his left foot despite being right-footed. Later converted into a tenacious midfielder - I believe David Norris probably modelled his game on mine, but cheeky beggar took it too far and was actually good.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

What sort of player are/were you? on 13:36 - Mar 20 with 2265 viewsHalf_Idiot

Started out as a keeper but when the goals got bigger and I didn't it was time for a change. After that I played in every position other than CB but mostly on the wings or up top.

Strengths: semi-decent vision and movement, good with both feet, an alright pass and would chase almost everything.
Weaknesses: couldn't finish for owt and poor stamina.

So chasing down everything and making all sorts of runs combined with pi $$ all energy meant I was mostly used as a sub. At least that's what I tell myself, nothing to do with the fact I was woeful.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2018 13:39]
What sort of player are/were you? on 13:37 - Mar 20 with 2265 viewsrickw

I started off as an attacking midfielder and ended up as a holding midfielder.

Strengths: I had good technique and read the game well and was a decent passer

Weaknesses: Being 5"8 I was never the best in the air, when I was a teenager I wasn't strong enough, then as I got older I became far too slow!

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

What sort of player are/were you? on 13:38 - Mar 20 with 2257 viewsBluefish

What sort of player are/were you? on 13:29 - Mar 20 by Herbivore

I've played more or less every position at some point but my best position was number 10. I am/was a pretty decent finisher so could get a few goals but I'm not quick or big so not suited to playing right up top, but I'm good at creating space and picking a pass so used to get a fair few assists.

Sounds lot like me

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

What sort of player are/were you? on 13:38 - Mar 20 with 2262 viewsusm

Centre Mid. Peter Reid style player - always available to receive or make a short pass, loved a tackle, competitive, good talker and able to wind up the opposition.

Strengths - tackling, talking, organising.

Weaknesses - shooting, heading.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

What sort of player are/were you? on 13:40 - Mar 20 with 2260 viewstextbackup

Younger me -

Captain and centre half, read game well and organised team. Modelled myself on tiny Mowbray

Older me -

Centre half animal

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

What sort of player are/were you? on 13:41 - Mar 20 with 2254 viewsHerbivore

What sort of player are/were you? on 13:38 - Mar 20 by Bluefish

Sounds lot like me

I played at a much lower level to be fair. Played for my college team and in local league as a teenager (against proper blokes which was good fun) but then when I went to uni I only really played for fun after that.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

What sort of player are/were you? on 13:42 - Mar 20 with 2251 viewshomer_123

Started as a striker/ target man. Then moved to left midfield, then to left wing back, then to central defence, then finished as a central midfielder (occupying the centre circle).

Strengths: Great engine, both footed, can score directly from a corner, good set piece taker
Weaknesses: slow and got slower as a I got older, control could be a bit iffy at times, inconsistent, could be great, could be awful

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Login to get fewer ads

What sort of player are/were you? on 13:44 - Mar 20 with 2243 viewsCurrie10

Lazy central mid who likes the ball on the deck / hates physical contact and can pick a pass / good long range shot.

If an Ipswich player - think Keith Andrews spell. Few bangers but crap over a 90 minute game.
What sort of player are/were you? on 13:45 - Mar 20 with 2241 viewshomer_123

What sort of player are/were you? on 13:23 - Mar 20 by Bluefish

I could play anywhere but started right mid and then centre mid or forward. My best position was as a number 10. I was excellent in the air but only 5'10 and I lacked any real pace. Played senior football for most of my life and had a spell at ridgeon level but tended to prefer to play locally as part of a very good side where I could be a primadonna. Awful disciplinary record let me down with some rather lengthy bans. The dodgy knee didn't help. I could play anywhere on the park and often would also fill in at centre back or keeper. 38 now and could still play reasonable local level if fit but retired around 32. I loved playing so much and miss it terribly.

I loved playing so much and miss it terribly.

This, this and thrice this. Just had to stop, ended up taking a week to recover from a Saturday or Sunday game but I really, really miss playing.

What sort of player are/were you? on 13:45 - Mar 20 with 2235 viewsSwansea_Blue

Think Glenn Hoddle. But a crap one and without a spiritual adviser. I also had a spell as sweeper (remember them?) in a particularly disastrous team I played for as they needed all the help they could get at the back. Used to take the set pieces too (curlers rather than blasts) and captained most sides I payed for. Weaknesses - knees.

Yonks back now and I haven't played a competitive game since I was about 28/29. I used to live for playing football but don't have any urge at all to play again.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

What sort of player are/were you? on 13:46 - Mar 20 with 2230 viewsJ2BLUE

I always fancied myself as a RB. Most of the time I was played in midfield or up front. I remember going to this football academy (a school holidays fun week, nothing serious) thing run by Man U. The other kids there saw me hit one from distance that went in so they put me in midfield for every game after thinking I was going to smash them in all the time.

Honest assessment of my level - pretty crap. Loved a shot from distance and could tackle but was slow. I could see in my head how I wanted to do things but my skill couldn't match up to the pictures in my head. Imagined a Picasso and ended up with a 3 year old's drawing of a dinosaur you would be reluctant to put on the fridge. Utterly infuriating.

If I was in a team now I would probably be thrown on in the 80th minute as a battering ram up front trying to disrupt things enough for the players with actual talent to do something. I reckon i'd probably remember that one shot from distance that actually went in before convincing myself I was Messi...and then remembering i'm crap as the ball went 23 yards over the bar.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

What sort of player are/were you? on 13:47 - Mar 20 with 2229 viewshomer_123

What sort of player are/were you? on 13:25 - Mar 20 by Guthrum

Rubbish defender in the days when people still used to play 2-3-5 in schools.

Are you Facters in disguise?!

What sort of player are/were you? on 13:47 - Mar 20 with 2227 viewsartsbossbeard

What sort of player are/were you? on 13:45 - Mar 20 by homer_123

I loved playing so much and miss it terribly.

This, this and thrice this. Just had to stop, ended up taking a week to recover from a Saturday or Sunday game but I really, really miss playing.

I've been playing Vets footy but this really is my last season.

It literally simply prolongs the agony. I've got a regular Monday & Wednesday night 5-a-side thing, which is touch and go if I've had a full 90 of a Sunday afternoon. Stupid game.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

What sort of player are/were you? on 13:47 - Mar 20 with 2223 viewssolemio

A rugby union player - wing or wing forward.
What sort of player are/were you? on 13:51 - Mar 20 with 2209 viewshomer_123

What sort of player are/were you? on 13:47 - Mar 20 by artsbossbeard

I've been playing Vets footy but this really is my last season.

It literally simply prolongs the agony. I've got a regular Monday & Wednesday night 5-a-side thing, which is touch and go if I've had a full 90 of a Sunday afternoon. Stupid game.

I was playing Saturday and Sunday 11 a side and then a 5 a side during the week but it was too much. Dropped one of the 11 a sides but got to the point where I could barely walk!

What sort of player are/were you? on 13:53 - Mar 20 with 2202 viewsPJH

Long time ago but between Primary school and a couple of friendlies for Woodbridge RBL about 30 years later I played just about every position including goalkeeper.
My first ever game for Melton Youth Club Old Boys was in goal and I made one Bart type out of this World save.
Although not registered to play I once scored all three goals for them in a 3-3 draw,think I had supposed to be left wing that day.
At one point I was largely involved in forming a "works" team and was secretary for them when we got in the Sunday Morning League but also found that I was also mostly substitute!
When I did play it was often RB sometimes central defence and sometimes midfield.
I could see what needed to be done but did not have the ability to do it very well.
Very proud of my tackling though but that was in the days when you could take man and ball in whatever order you decided to do it.
What sort of player are/were you? on 13:54 - Mar 20 with 2191 viewsITFC_Forever

Played goalkeeper for all my 11-a-side career, reached the heady heights of the Staffordshire University Second XI at Uni, and anyone who's ever played it will vouch for Uni football being a pretty decent standard.
Played one first team game against Stoke City's first year pros, I played ok and we only lost 0-1.

Once I came home, I played Licensed Trades League mainly, and was a reasonable GK at that level, decent shot-stopper and had a handy knack of saving penalties (just as well in our team), but struggled with goal-kicks and sometimes on crosses.

Stopped playing that about 10 years ago, and play 6-a-side most Tuesdays now, I can pass ok, but everything else is more effort than skill, I run around alot and try and get in the way of the likes of Dubtractor.

Still enjoy it though, I'm 43 and one of the oldest ones of our group, but can't imagine ever not playing.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2018 14:41]

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

What sort of player are/were you? on 13:56 - Mar 20 with 2185 viewsartsbossbeard

What sort of player are/were you? on 13:51 - Mar 20 by homer_123

I was playing Saturday and Sunday 11 a side and then a 5 a side during the week but it was too much. Dropped one of the 11 a sides but got to the point where I could barely walk!

Yep! Got to the stage recently where I convinced myself that I'd strained my calf but it was simply me not being able to walk properly after a full 90mins.

There's one top division Vets team that gets you to sign a "I won't drink and/or go crazy the night before a game" form when you sign for them. Madness.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

What sort of player are/were you? on 14:02 - Mar 20 with 2157 viewsReuser_is_God

Good on the ball, slow & sluggish off it.

Midfield plodder.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

What sort of player are/were you? on 14:04 - Mar 20 with 2150 viewsCanadianBlue

Started as a goalkeeper at the youth level. Was alright although my kicking was wayward at best.

Moved to fullback in pub leagues. Mainly play on the left. Good tackler (especially on the slide) and able to read the game well to make up for my lack of pace. Have played on the right where my crossing got Beckham-esque.

My throw-ins are bloody awful though. Better off just letting the other team throw it and win it back.
What sort of player are/were you? on 14:05 - Mar 20 with 2144 viewsKeaneish

Holding midfielder and occasional full-back. Racked up 150+ semi pro games before succumbing to the charms of house music and booze...

Strengths: Work rate, Tackling and Passing.

Weaknesses: Shooting, Heading and Discipline!

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

What sort of player are/were you? on 14:06 - Mar 20 with 2136 viewsGuthrum

What sort of player are/were you? on 13:47 - Mar 20 by homer_123

Are you Facters in disguise?!

It was the 1970s. And suffice to say that football was considerably down the pecking order compared with rugby, cricket and hockey.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2018 14:08]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

What sort of player are/were you? on 14:12 - Mar 20 with 2113 viewsWD19

Full back.

Good engine, positional awareness and ability to read the game. Very pragmatic and a bit niggly.

Not amazing in the air and not much of a threat in the final third.
What sort of player are/were you? on 14:13 - Mar 20 with 2112 viewshomer_123

What sort of player are/were you? on 14:06 - Mar 20 by Guthrum

It was the 1970s. And suffice to say that football was considerably down the pecking order compared with rugby, cricket and hockey.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2018 14:08]

Ah, Facters was the 1870s.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024