Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What sort of player are/were you? 12:50 - Mar 20 with 17505 viewsRobTheMonk

Let's have something a little different. If you've ever played football what sort of player were you? Position, strengths, weaknesses etc.

I started as a goalkeeper but had a plethora of shoulder dislocations which has curtailed that. I now mainly play 5/6 a side.

Strengths - Both footed. Good passer. Good first touch.

Weaknesses - Slow. Stamina. Shooting in game - in warmup they fly in haha!
What sort of player are/were you? on 14:19 - Mar 20 with 3001 viewsFinidiCentenary

Tall, commanding, no nonsense centre half who used to end up getting booked for 'a clever foul' when some pacey git had left me for dead on the half way line.

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

What sort of player are/were you? on 14:21 - Mar 20 with 2997 viewsThrobbe

Ability: Described as both 'indescribable' and 'the greatest draw back I've ever seen' (that's a deep lying midfielder right?).

Career highlights have included (as an adult) accidentally elbowing a 12 year old child in the face at a corner Shearer-style in a pub side friendly and having to leave before getting my legs broken by his dad's mates, and making up numbers for the village under 10's against a full strength under 9's side, and being subbed off as soon as another 10 year old became available (with a mixture of pity and disgust from my temporary team mates).

Was crap at football as a kid, so didn't enjoy it, so didn't play, so didn't get better. Wish I'd persevered a bit, as just playing in the garden with Throbbe Jr has improved my control.

I've tried to avoid the boy following in my footsteps by encouraging him to join the village team, which he enjoys, but doesn't really care if they win, lose or draw, and rarely touches a ball outside of matches and weekly practice. I'm not going to nag him, as he'll definitely end up hating it, but suspect he'll drift away from it at secondary school.

Strengths: Have scored at corners because the opposition just didn't see the point in marking me, and in a one-on-one because neither the keeper nor I really knew where the ball was going when it left my foot.

Weaknesses: Need I go on.

TWTD Cycling Herbert

What sort of player are/were you? on 14:21 - Mar 20 with 3003 viewsITFC_Forever

I will also complete this for Something_Blue.

A solid full-back who liked to get forward and support the attack when the opportunity presented itself.
Habit for scoring own-goals. Usually in the top-corner, usually past me. On one memorable occasion, I knew what was about to happen even before he decided to try and deal with the low, hard cross that fizzed across the edge of our six-yard box.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

What sort of player are/were you? on 14:27 - Mar 20 with 2990 viewsSomethingBlue

What sort of player are/were you? on 14:21 - Mar 20 by ITFC_Forever

A solid full-back who liked to get forward and support the attack when the opportunity presented itself.
Habit for scoring own-goals. Usually in the top-corner, usually past me. On one memorable occasion, I knew what was about to happen even before he decided to try and deal with the low, hard cross that fizzed across the edge of our six-yard box.

The worrying thing is that I think I knew what was about to happen too, but had completely set myself in completely the wrong position to clear properly and the die was cast. The abiding memory is of a certain central defensive team-mate of ours p7ssing himself with laughter behind me, while in front you were spitting blood while leathering the ball back up towards the centre circle.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

What sort of player are/were you? on 14:29 - Mar 20 with 2985 viewsSteve_M

Position: wide midfield, usually on the left.
Strengths: fast, and genuinely two footed (to my level of ability), occasional flashes of innovation and reasonable shooting;
Weaknesses: Incredibly erratic (on a bad weak I could do nothing right), lost fitness in my 20s.

The last time I played regularly was 5-a-side about a decade ago. Had good weeks and scored some great goals and bad ones where nothing worked. Too many injuries since sadly, I'll be happy if I can get running again now.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

What sort of player are/were you? on 14:29 - Mar 20 with 2988 viewsPhilTWTD

Lazy, temperamental show-boater with a habit of leaving a hanging trailing leg, leading with elbows, spending much time berating team-mates, referees and spectators, and diving.
What sort of player are/were you? on 14:30 - Mar 20 with 2972 viewsITFC_Forever

What sort of player are/were you? on 14:27 - Mar 20 by SomethingBlue

The worrying thing is that I think I knew what was about to happen too, but had completely set myself in completely the wrong position to clear properly and the die was cast. The abiding memory is of a certain central defensive team-mate of ours p7ssing himself with laughter behind me, while in front you were spitting blood while leathering the ball back up towards the centre circle.

TWTD......

What sort of player are/were you? on 14:31 - Mar 20 with 2974 viewsPhilTWTD

What sort of player are/were you? on 14:21 - Mar 20 by ITFC_Forever

I'll do it for Dubtractor.

Basically Hotshot Hamish but without the pet sheep (as far as I'm aware).
Login to get fewer ads

What sort of player are/were you? on 14:32 - Mar 20 with 2973 viewsSomethingBlue

What sort of player are/were you? on 14:30 - Mar 20 by ITFC_Forever

TWTD......

I would add for the crowd that prior to our days playing together I was very much a winger, which perhaps part-explained the discombobulation ...

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

What sort of player are/were you? on 14:33 - Mar 20 with 2965 viewsGarv

Jack of all trades, master of none. Think I've played in every position bar keeper.

Decent touch, finish, can cross. Two footed.

Poor fitness, mobility/agility.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2018 14:38]

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

What sort of player are/were you? on 14:38 - Mar 20 with 2946 viewsITFC_Forever

What sort of player are/were you? on 14:32 - Mar 20 by SomethingBlue

I would add for the crowd that prior to our days playing together I was very much a winger, which perhaps part-explained the discombobulation ...

Would also explain the penchant for streaming forward and demanding the ball.

Then having to come back when the move broke down long before it got to you... at least you made the effort to try and get back, most of the rest of them didn't bother.

What sort of player are/were you? on 14:43 - Mar 20 with 2919 viewschicoazul

A very bad one.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

What sort of player are/were you? on 14:43 - Mar 20 with 2919 viewsRadlett_blue

Lumbering centre back or left back (I'm very left footed). Slow, but used to read the game well & had a good attitude.
Retired after my 4th shoulder dislocation, oddly enough each from a different activity: Playing cricket, playing golf, playing 5 a side football & on the tube.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2018 15:30]

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

What sort of player are/were you? on 14:44 - Mar 20 with 2913 viewschicoazul

What sort of player are/were you? on 13:23 - Mar 20 by Bluefish

I could play anywhere but started right mid and then centre mid or forward. My best position was as a number 10. I was excellent in the air but only 5'10 and I lacked any real pace. Played senior football for most of my life and had a spell at ridgeon level but tended to prefer to play locally as part of a very good side where I could be a primadonna. Awful disciplinary record let me down with some rather lengthy bans. The dodgy knee didn't help. I could play anywhere on the park and often would also fill in at centre back or keeper. 38 now and could still play reasonable local level if fit but retired around 32. I loved playing so much and miss it terribly.

5'10? Manlet syndrome. Explains a lot.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

What sort of player are/were you? on 14:54 - Mar 20 with 2896 viewsTIB

Defensive Midfielder. Not much got by me, no matter how many step-overs some Predator wearing pre-Madonna did. I've always been dogsh*t in the air though and my temper used to get the better of me...probably the reason I'm on here and not at Playford Road right now

Strengths - Strength. Tackling. Ambidextrous. Reading of the game. Passing.

Weaknesses - 50p head. Temper. Shooting. Composure.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2018 15:01]

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

What sort of player are/were you? on 14:56 - Mar 20 with 2888 viewsCanadafan

Goalkeeper- still play indoors in winter- school gymnasium 5 a side- can use 3 of the walls so I feel like I am in a pinball machine at times. Summer leagues: Over 30 league and Open Adult league 18+ full field- good shot stopper/very good reflexes/ poor dead ball kicker, being 54 years old playing keeper has extended my playing days

Dream is to play at Portman Road-but don't want to show Bart up- are they still having a five a side game there?? at the Supporters Week?
What sort of player are/were you? on 15:10 - Mar 20 with 2848 viewsbluewein

Started as a winger.

Got slower.

Dropped to right back (attacking minded) and played county for Somerset a few times.

Still enjoy the position

Strengths - Talker, organiser, pretty decent pass on me.

Weaknesses - Can't take on people with the ball that well. Always want the ball fed to me for crosses etc.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2018 15:11]

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

What sort of player are/were you? on 15:12 - Mar 20 with 2842 viewsIllinoisblue

GlasgowBlue - right winger. Amirite?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

What sort of player are/were you? on 15:13 - Mar 20 with 2837 viewsBanburyBlue

Winger/striker pre 16yrs, good brain and good skills, good finisher but always too dam small so would get pushed off the ball far to easily and was week into tackles, had county trials though so not too bad. After that I went into goal which I really enjoyed, I was brave and a good shop stopper but once again my size did for me I was just too short :O( after that I gave it up and turned pro at golf, would still rather have been a footballer though.

Banbury Blue Back in Town

What sort of player are/were you? on 15:18 - Mar 20 with 2821 viewsLord_Lucan

What sort of player are/were you? on 14:31 - Mar 20 by PhilTWTD

I'll do it for Dubtractor.

Basically Hotshot Hamish but without the pet sheep (as far as I'm aware).

I'll do it for ABB

On a high staked much anticipated match between the battle of the left footers he feigned injury and refereed whilst I ran riot and scored the winner.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

What sort of player are/were you? on 15:21 - Mar 20 with 2809 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

A great finisher with lots of stamina and pace but with absolutely no bottle once kicked early in a game. I made the sport headlines a couple of times in the local paper for scoring 4 times in a game. Top scorer in the league two years running too. Though the league was the Chelmsford league which was nowhere near the echo standard.

Strengths - Lightning quick, never stopped running, good finisher and loved a long pass. Scored more often than not.

Weaknesses - Bit of a bottle job in the air, never wanted to get elbowed in the face, had a shocking dry spell in front of goal one season, have absolutely no strength whatsoever so was useless in the more physical games. Could be a bit of a flashy c**t sometimes.

For the above reasons, I was better than everyone considerably when we were young but as we grew up and everyone got physically stronger, it all went tits up.

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

What sort of player are/were you? on 15:28 - Mar 20 with 2787 viewstcblue

Started off as a number 10, played at decent level, moved further back (deep lying playmaker) as age overtook talent until two years ago when I went to veterans and immediately became the young, dynamic number 10 again ;)

Strengths: speed (diminishing!), vision and (latterly) strength
Weaknesses: pressure (lack of it, weirdly - MUCH more likely to balls up the easy things), weak foot, tactically naïve defensively

The annoying thing is, knowing what I do now, I could have easily worked on my weaknesses and played at a higher level. Ah well.
What sort of player are/were you? on 15:30 - Mar 20 with 2770 viewshomer_123

What sort of player are/were you? on 15:12 - Mar 20 by Illinoisblue

GlasgowBlue - right winger. Amirite?

But forced to play on the left!? ;)

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

What sort of player are/were you? on 15:30 - Mar 20 with 2769 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Attacking winger, occasional begrudgingly appearing as a wing back in the SIL lower leagues

Strengths: Still reasonably quick at the ripe age of 33, reasonable touch, occasionally mercurial, will literally run all day

Weaknesses: 50p head, inconsistent is an understatement, sometimes forget to take the ball with me, random cross generator

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

What sort of player are/were you? on 15:35 - Mar 20 with 2751 viewshomer_123

What sort of player are/were you? on 15:30 - Mar 20 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Attacking winger, occasional begrudgingly appearing as a wing back in the SIL lower leagues

Strengths: Still reasonably quick at the ripe age of 33, reasonable touch, occasionally mercurial, will literally run all day

Weaknesses: 50p head, inconsistent is an understatement, sometimes forget to take the ball with me, random cross generator

You are Gus Uhlenbeek and I claim my £5.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024