Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What was the first Town game you saw live? 11:48 - Apr 15 with 26572 viewsKeno

I'm feeling a little melancholy so lets all take a trip down memory lane

Me

August 1974 Ipswich 2 Burnley 0

Walking into the North Stand it was the amazing place I'd ever been to, the most amazing feeling of belonging to something that was vey special

I may have been spoilt by watching that team and that era

[Post edited 15 Apr 2018 12:00]

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 19:00 - Apr 15 with 3312 viewscarlisleaway

January 1964 FA Cup Third Round v Oldham and actually won 6-3 to progress through to the 4th round something we have not done for many years.
Gerry Baker scored a hatrick and sat in the old East Stand
What was the first Town game you saw live? on 19:11 - Apr 15 with 3298 viewsblueprint

Stoke city at home , April 82. We won 2 nil with goals from Mariner and Wark. Remember it like it was yesterday. We parked in the greyfriars multi storey and I can still remember the excitement as we caught a view of the back of the cobbold stand as we climbed the levels of the car park.
[Post edited 15 Apr 2018 21:04]
What was the first Town game you saw live? on 20:35 - Apr 15 with 3240 viewsamdam81

How about this one.Feb 2 1974,Town 7 Southampton 0.And for some reason it was played on a Saturday night.

Amdam81

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 20:37 - Apr 15 with 3238 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Away win at Southend in the Home end.

Think we won 4—1 or 5-1

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 20:53 - Apr 15 with 3228 viewsBlueSince62

First game was to see Town win League title under Sir Alf in last game of 1961/2
Don’t remember too much apart from seeing Ray Crawford score but I was only 7!
What was the first Town game you saw live? on 20:54 - Apr 15 with 3224 viewstractordownsouth

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 20:37 - Apr 15 by The_Romford_Blue

Away win at Southend in the Home end.

Think we won 4—1 or 5-1

I assume you mean 2006/07 season when they were up in the Championship? That was 3-1, I remember watching it on the ITV Championship show.

TWTD

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 20:55 - Apr 15 with 3224 viewsdidsburyblue

Ipswich 3-1 Plymouth March 1991 (season before we got promoted. For some reason it was played on a Friday night. Paul Goddard scored 2
What was the first Town game you saw live? on 20:56 - Apr 15 with 3225 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

February 1st, 1969.
Man Utd at PR. Best, Charlton etc.
Tony Dunne OG gave Town the points.
Ground was packed, us young uns sat cross legged in front of the concrete wall at Churchmans.
So began my love affair with ITFC.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Login to get fewer ads

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 21:00 - Apr 15 with 3216 viewstractordownsouth

Mine was a 2-1 defeat at Plymouth, the last game of the 2005/06 season, which also turned out to be Royle's last and Jim's last as a player.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 21:07 - Apr 15 with 3210 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 20:54 - Apr 15 by tractordownsouth

I assume you mean 2006/07 season when they were up in the Championship? That was 3-1, I remember watching it on the ITV Championship show.

TWTD

Ahh 3-1 was it? But yeah that’s the game - their gaff and in the championship

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 21:16 - Apr 15 with 3199 viewsstickymockwell

2-1 home win against Liverpool 1986

1st game I can vividly Remember is the playoff game against Charlton the following season. Especially Bob Bolder n goal for them for some reason?..

Give him a ball and a yard of grass
Poll: How many times have you looked at the table since full time yesterday?

What was the first Town you saw live? on 21:21 - Apr 15 with 3193 viewsJETPower

What was the first Town you saw live? on 12:01 - Apr 15 by frankiecarbone

We beat Stoke 5-1 around then, Baltacha's debut.

Brilliant, think that's it. Thank you! Going to go buy a matchday programme in celebration...
What was the first Town game you saw live? on 21:29 - Apr 15 with 3185 viewsVic

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 18:39 - Apr 15 by longtimefan

Just seen 1969/70 match was a draw. Another Tuesday night game that ended 1-1 with Viljeon and Dougan scoring. Wagstaff was also playing that game so it probably fits your recollection best.

Brilliant information, thanks. It was definitely a Saturday game, to must have been the 2-1 win, and after the stand was built.
[Post edited 15 Apr 2018 21:30]

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 21:30 - Apr 15 with 3183 viewsbluehook

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 18:09 - Apr 15 by PJH

Looking back over the years I do not think you could really pick a better "first ever ITFC game" unless it was at home to Villa at the end of that season.

I can just about remember not being overly keen about going to a night match!
The second I saw that pitch and the blue and white strip, I was hooked!
As you say, possibly one of the finest first Town matches to attend in our history.
What was the first Town you saw live? on 21:31 - Apr 15 with 3181 viewsCoastalblue

What was the first Town you saw live? on 12:19 - Apr 15 by Keno

I see it more like Phil is Holly to Gavs Schofield

I always thought Phil was the Andrew Ridgley of the duo.

First game, '77, home Vs West Brom. Quite an occasion with a 7-0 thumping.

I was most disapointed when all we did was draw with Leeds in the next game.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 21:42 - Apr 15 with 3174 viewshorsehollerer

Town 2 Derby 1, April 1979

Blog: The Late, Late Blubfest Show

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 21:44 - Apr 15 with 3172 viewsbuoyant

First game of the 78/79 season. Up until we won the FA Cup, I used to like playing football but didn't go to watch Town as my old man was a bit of a biker and took.me to Speedway.

Much to my father's disgust, he still hates football, I went with a neighbour and his father. We lost to Liverpool. A few days later I went for the second half* of us beating Man U 3-0

* you used to be able to get in for nothing after the whistle had gone for the kick off of the second half... Loved it!

UTT

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 21:49 - Apr 15 with 3163 viewsmonty_radio

Town 4 Stoke 0 - October 1959.

Dermot Curtis scored all 4, but was soon ousted by Ray Crawford, who, according to John Elsworthy, was a lesser footballer but had the confidence that Curtis lacked.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 22:03 - Apr 15 with 3129 viewsNewcyBlue

5th March 1994

At home to Arsenal. Lost 5-1. Arsenal scored all 6 goals. Ian Wright got a hat trick.

We had been living in Suffolk for 4 years and I had been wanting to go all that time.

I was given a Town scarf by one of the pilots at RAF Honington when we first moved there around 1990.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 22:04 - Apr 15 with 3129 viewsMerthyrblue

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 19:00 - Apr 15 by carlisleaway

January 1964 FA Cup Third Round v Oldham and actually won 6-3 to progress through to the 4th round something we have not done for many years.
Gerry Baker scored a hatrick and sat in the old East Stand

My first match too although strictly speaking I only saw the last 20 minutes when they let you in for free. I was only 6. Can still remember Gerry Baker heading in from a corner at Churchmans end. Marvelous.

Remember having this discussion with someone at a pub in Yeovil and we said the same match. I guess you are the same bloke?
What was the first Town game you saw live? on 22:05 - Apr 15 with 3124 viewsMaySixth

Ipswich 1-1 Aston Villa August 15th 1987

Gleghorn scored for us
O'Donnell og for them

Referee from Great Bookham

Loved every second of it
[Post edited 15 Apr 2018 22:10]

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 22:38 - Apr 15 with 3081 viewswoodbridge_blue

January 1971, FA Cup Third round replay against Newcastle, we came from behind to win 2-1 with goals from Colin Viljoen and Mick Hill. Those really were the days, winning a third round FA Cup tie.
What was the first Town game you saw live? on 23:15 - Apr 15 with 3059 viewsFather_Jack

First game was Charlton v QPR in about 1967. Rodney Marsh was playing.

First Town game was Charlton v Ipswich same seaon - possibly in '68. Town won 1-0, a scuffed shot through the keeper's legs from other Hegan or O'Rourke I think.

Less is more.

What was the first Town game you saw live? on 23:16 - Apr 15 with 3059 viewsnorfsufblue

22nd Sept 1973 ... we had just beaten Real Madrid at home and my first game was against Burnley who we beat 3-2 that day in beautiful sunshine with Bryan Hamilton scoring a brace. Pretty sure the back four was Mills Hunter Beattie Harper which I don't know why but I always felt was as good as any combination I have seen in the blue of Town!
What was the first Town game you saw live? on 23:59 - Apr 15 with 3043 viewsMelford

25th October 1986 beat Stoke 2-0, Kevin Wilson scored both goals. My first season was the one after we got relegated, when we lost in the first ever-play offs.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024