Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Intermittent fasting 10:20 - Jun 12 with 13033 viewschicoazul

Lads, this is a genuinely life changing thing to do. I have been on it for a month and I recommend it whole-heartedly. I do 16 hours out of 24 on fast and have never since my mid-20s had so much energy. Getting over the first couple of weeks hunger is the hardest part but once that is done it just becomes easy and part of ones life. It makes life easier, makes me more productive and healthier, and saves time and a bit of money. If you are thinking of trying it do it, if you have never heard of it but you want to lose weight or feel healthier or whatever then look into it.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Intermittent fasting on 11:08 - Jun 12 with 2051 viewschicoazul

Intermittent fasting on 11:04 - Jun 12 by Steve_M

How have you come to posting youtube videos as evidence? I think there may be negative consequences to your fasting!

Haha, not evidence, the guy asked for some more information. People bag on Youtube but there is some good stuff on there, saw a video about the Earth being flat and it made me think.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Intermittent fasting on 11:16 - Jun 12 with 2033 viewsipswichtillidie

Intermittent fasting on 10:59 - Jun 12 by J2BLUE

I don't disagree with any of that. I'm just saying they've tested timing when people eat loads of times and never found an advantage. Same with low carb/high carb etc. It's all about calories.

Indeed it is all about calories. By fasting thou your consuming next to no calories and a good way to start the week perhaps putting your calorie count into negative equity. The feel good factor and stomach shrinkage cannot be dismissed either. Fasting isn’t for everyone, I would seriously consider it thou for people considering to change themselves and live a different lifestyle. There is no quick fix but this can be a good starting point if you have the willpower.

Gav

Intermittent fasting on 11:21 - Jun 12 with 2018 viewsNewcyBlue

Intermittent fasting on 10:49 - Jun 12 by chicoazul

speaking personally, breakfast is a con played on us by the food industry. I don't miss it at all. Now I ought to add that I do not have a strenuous job and my morning consists of walking the kids to school (40 mins round trip) then working; making phone calls, reading, writing, sending emails, correcting people on TWTD. If I did have a physically difficult job where I am on my feet for 8 hours then I would adjust my feeding window to suit that.

Bottom line; eat 2 meals a day, not 3.

I have a strenuous job, it’s pretty physical when I’m in port.

I also do IF, although it’s not really by choice. Meal times on board are fixed, so if I am resting then I am resting. I never get breakfast on board.

I have to eat lunch at 1130 before going on watch, and dinner is at 1700.

The rest of the time I don’t get any food, and am often working 0000-0600 in port, up and down ladders checking stowage, loading, discharge, lashing. The ladders go 6 high cube boxes high. So about 60ft. 27 lashing bridges like that.

I eat like a man possessed at the moment, but I am still losing weight (not a massive amount, but enough)

I do get really quite hangry if I am having to work during one of my 2 meal times (arrival / departure or emergencies).

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Intermittent fasting on 11:21 - Jun 12 with 2014 viewsJ2BLUE

Intermittent fasting on 11:16 - Jun 12 by ipswichtillidie

Indeed it is all about calories. By fasting thou your consuming next to no calories and a good way to start the week perhaps putting your calorie count into negative equity. The feel good factor and stomach shrinkage cannot be dismissed either. Fasting isn’t for everyone, I would seriously consider it thou for people considering to change themselves and live a different lifestyle. There is no quick fix but this can be a good starting point if you have the willpower.

Agreed. Three meals of 600 calories can easily become two meals of 800 calories and still be more satisfying.

IF is a good tool, for sure.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Intermittent fasting on 11:30 - Jun 12 with 1991 viewsipswichtillidie

Intermittent fasting on 11:21 - Jun 12 by J2BLUE

Agreed. Three meals of 600 calories can easily become two meals of 800 calories and still be more satisfying.

IF is a good tool, for sure.

All lifestyle (diets, don’t like that word) are dependent on what you want to achieve. Someone weight training to gain muscle mass will be eating 5/6 times a day and consuming lots of high protein calories. But for even this guys when they are coming around to a competition or a photo shoot their calorie intake will reduce and fasting is offen used as well as dehydration techniques obviously.

Gav

Intermittent fasting on 11:31 - Jun 12 with 1988 viewsHennikerBlu

Couple of questions:

1. What are you eating outside of your 16 hour fast?

2. Does anyone know at what point the body moves to fat burning when fasting only?

Thanks
Intermittent fasting on 11:37 - Jun 12 with 1984 viewschicoazul

Intermittent fasting on 11:31 - Jun 12 by HennikerBlu

Couple of questions:

1. What are you eating outside of your 16 hour fast?

2. Does anyone know at what point the body moves to fat burning when fasting only?

Thanks

I eat whatever I want within reason. I make a point of breaking my fast with fruit. I generally have a couple of sandwiches and crisps for lunch and a normal dinner of pasta or whatever. I also have a multi vitamin with my dinner.

No idea on point 2, as J2 presumably-rightly says I dont think there is hard evidence that you burn fat when fasting yet. Ketosis exists though so maybe it's that? Dunno really.

Intermittent fasting on 13:01 - Jun 12 with 1928 viewsTJS

I pretty much agree with the concept and have experienced the benefits first hand.
I don't think people realise how sluggish eating every couple of hours makes you.
During the week I often have a coffee and something small to eat at 10:00 and then my evening meal at 18:00 and that's it.
Login to get fewer ads

Intermittent fasting on 13:09 - Jun 12 with 1909 viewsJ2BLUE

Intermittent fasting on 11:37 - Jun 12 by chicoazul

I eat whatever I want within reason. I make a point of breaking my fast with fruit. I generally have a couple of sandwiches and crisps for lunch and a normal dinner of pasta or whatever. I also have a multi vitamin with my dinner.

No idea on point 2, as J2 presumably-rightly says I dont think there is hard evidence that you burn fat when fasting yet. Ketosis exists though so maybe it's that? Dunno really.

There's certainly evidence you burn fat. I just meant if calories are the same you don't burn more fat than eating more regularly.

Today I have skipped breakfast. I'm about to eat meal one. About six I will eat meal two and that will be that. It's pretty effortless. Total calories about 1600-1700. I find when I start eating I want more. Especially if I eat something like cereal or toast in the morning. Waiting until lunchtime and having a combination of plenty of protein, plenty of fibre and a little fat means I won't want to eat again for ages.

Truly impaired.

Intermittent fasting on 13:16 - Jun 12 with 1899 viewsFenoit

Intermittent fasting on 11:16 - Jun 12 by ipswichtillidie

You have mentioned a real gem here "Fasting tricks your body into starvation" - this simply isn't true. Typically the reason that IF is successful is that if you're eating a reasonable well balanced diet, eating two meals a day will contain far less calories than three meals a day.
[Post edited 12 Jun 2018 13:18]
Intermittent fasting on 13:27 - Jun 12 with 1887 viewsYaffle

The primary goal of IF shouldn't be weight loss. There are a lot of additional benefits, of which losing weight will be a by-product. When possible I try to eat between 12:00 and 18:00. After an extended period, I noticed that my reliance on food diminished significantly and I could do a 24 hour fast with ease. This article looks at role of autophagy in IF.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blog/2017/10/autophagy-process-changing-understanding
Intermittent fasting on 14:00 - Jun 12 with 1861 viewseireblue

I have heard that fasting, probably due to less energy going to the brain, can lead to people being bad tempered and very judgemental, especially on weight related issues.

Intermittent fasting on 14:02 - Jun 12 with 1855 viewschicoazul

Intermittent fasting on 14:00 - Jun 12 by eireblue

I have heard that fasting, probably due to less energy going to the brain, can lead to people being bad tempered and very judgemental, especially on weight related issues.

I heard all Irish people are thick.

General Surgeon's Warning on 14:05 - Jun 12 with 1858 viewsDyland

Fasting may not be suitable for all people especially those with certain pre-existing conditions, please check with a health professional before undertaking any diet.

Generally though I agree Chickers, it's a great idea for greedy middle aged alcies like your good self.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Intermittent fasting on 14:17 - Jun 12 with 1844 viewsBlueBadger

It's still faddy b0llocks that won't impact you any more or any less than any other faddy diet.

The Viz approach of 'less cake more exercise' is still king here.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Intermittent fasting on 14:17 - Jun 12 with 1840 viewschicoazul

Intermittent fasting on 14:17 - Jun 12 by BlueBadger

It's still faddy b0llocks that won't impact you any more or any less than any other faddy diet.

It's not a diet.

Intermittent fasting on 14:23 - Jun 12 with 1834 viewsJ2BLUE

Intermittent fasting on 14:17 - Jun 12 by BlueBadger

I take it you mean for weight loss as a magic bullet rather than saying the way humans have eaten for most of our history is 'faddy b0llocks'?

Truly impaired.

Intermittent fasting on 14:28 - Jun 12 with 1827 viewschicoazul

Intermittent fasting on 14:23 - Jun 12 by J2BLUE

I take it you mean for weight loss as a magic bullet rather than saying the way humans have eaten for most of our history is 'faddy b0llocks'?

You, me, a few other people; hey we tried this and it worked for us, maybe look into it!

Few other people; hmmm not so sure have you thought about this this and this?

Energy vampire; faddy b0llocks

Intermittent fasting on 14:29 - Jun 12 with 1828 viewsdirtyboy

I did IF about several years ago, lost a fair bit of weight, but what I learnt from it is that it's simply more difficult to consume say 3500cals in a smaller window, so essentially, it's just like any 'diet' whereby a calorie deficit will lead to weight loss.

Timing is less important than the total amounts of carbs/protein/fat over the course of a day.

I still think it's wise to 'carb up' before intense exercise, but that's performance related, not fat loss...different obviously.

I did the paleo thing before that, worked well again...guess why? Because without all the sh***t stuff you can't eat, naturally a deficit creeps in.

Last couple of years (i'm a serial yoyoer) i've just calorie counted, keeping protein above 180gs per day but the rest is fair game, stick to 2300cals a day and i'll lose 1-1.5lbs a week, nice and sustainable and I can eat what I like.
Intermittent fasting on 14:33 - Jun 12 with 1820 viewshampstead_blue

I can concur.

Mrs H and I do this when we have gained a few pounds. Normally just for a few weeks at a time.
The hard part is no alcohol. Tanqueray and Fentimans is a ritual.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Intermittent fasting on 14:36 - Jun 12 with 1816 viewsitfcjoe

Intermittent fasting on 14:28 - Jun 12 by chicoazul

You, me, a few other people; hey we tried this and it worked for us, maybe look into it!

Few other people; hmmm not so sure have you thought about this this and this?

Energy vampire; faddy b0llocks

As part of Man v Fat football we have the ITFC club nutritionist on hand to answer queries - have just given him a text and will report back on his views if anyone interested....

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Intermittent fasting on 14:39 - Jun 12 with 1807 viewsJ2BLUE

Intermittent fasting on 14:36 - Jun 12 by itfcjoe

As part of Man v Fat football we have the ITFC club nutritionist on hand to answer queries - have just given him a text and will report back on his views if anyone interested....

I would expect his views to be very conservative.

Interested to hear the answer though.

Truly impaired.

Intermittent fasting on 14:41 - Jun 12 with 1804 viewshype313

Intermittent fasting on 14:39 - Jun 12 by J2BLUE

I would expect his views to be very conservative.

Interested to hear the answer though.

To be fair it has been endorsed by Dr Micheal Mosley.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Intermittent fasting on 14:45 - Jun 12 with 1800 viewsitfcjoe

Intermittent fasting on 14:41 - Jun 12 by hype313

To be fair it has been endorsed by Dr Micheal Mosley.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Intermittent fasting on 14:45 - Jun 12 with 1797 viewschicoazul

Intermittent fasting on 14:36 - Jun 12 by itfcjoe

Very interested, thanks!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024