Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just to confirm that ITV is cr@p at sports coverage 19:05 - Jul 29 with 2886 viewsRyorry

I've still no idea what the green, spotted, and white jerseys are awarded for in the TDF, as ITV didn't bother to explain any of them; nor what the "special" award is for. Went through the entire ceremony without a word of explanation!

"Unbelievable, Geoff".

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Just to confirm that ITV is cr@p at sports coverage on 19:12 - Jul 29 with 2843 viewsfactual_blue

They're all for different drug-related achievements.

The 'special' award is for most red lights jumped.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Just to confirm that ITV is cr@p at sports coverage on 19:13 - Jul 29 with 2835 viewsgmanrom

Green is king of the mountains I think?

Poll: In the next 5 years what league do you us settling in?

Just to confirm that ITV is cr@p at sports coverage on 19:15 - Jul 29 with 2827 viewsArcher4721

It’s Jeff.
Just to confirm that ITV is cr@p at sports coverage on 19:22 - Jul 29 with 2803 viewsRyorry

Just to confirm that ITV is cr@p at sports coverage on 19:13 - Jul 29 by gmanrom

Green is king of the mountains I think?

Google is my friend -

Green = most points
Spotty = king of t'mountains
White = best youngster
Special = whoever shows most fighting spirit (or something).

Just to confirm that ITV is cr@p at sports coverage on 19:29 - Jul 29 with 2783 viewsTractorWood

Just to confirm that ITV is cr@p at sports coverage on 19:22 - Jul 29 by Ryorry

Google is my friend -

Green = most points
White = best youngster

Green is sprinter. In fairness there have been 20 stages before today. It's like tuning into the last 3 minutes of a football game.

Special which I assume you're referring to is most combative and is reasonably subjective across the length of the tour. It's more obvious on for example the mountain stages where a rider will make a conscious break from the peloton that usually fails to win the stage.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2018 19:32]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Just to confirm that ITV is cr@p at sports coverage on 19:32 - Jul 29 with 2765 viewsRyorry

Just to confirm that ITV is cr@p at sports coverage on 19:29 - Jul 29 by TractorWood

Green is sprinter. In fairness there have been 20 stages before today. It's like tuning into the last 3 minutes of a football game.

Special which I assume you're referring to is most combative and is reasonably subjective across the length of the tour. It's more obvious on for example the mountain stages where a rider will make a conscious break from the peloton that usually fails to win the stage.

You/ITV really shouldn't expect the general public to all be avid cycling fans. The entire media base, incl ITV, have been massively hyping the Welshman's achievement for the past 24 hours - which is fine, but don't expect the inevitable new audience to be instant experts off their own bats.

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:44 - Jul 29 with 2719 viewsTractorWood

Just to confirm that ITV is cr@p at sports coverage on 19:32 - Jul 29 by Ryorry

You/ITV really shouldn't expect the general public to all be avid cycling fans. The entire media base, incl ITV, have been massively hyping the Welshman's achievement for the past 24 hours - which is fine, but don't expect the inevitable new audience to be instant experts off their own bats.

It's a really complex, strategic and nuanced sport. You have to invest lots of time to get even a grasp of all the moving parts. It's also why it's such an amazing achievement to have led the GC so imperially.

Most good cyclists will go their entire careers with winning a stage.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2018 19:46]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Just to confirm that ITV is cr@p at sports coverage on 19:48 - Jul 29 with 2703 viewsFtnfwest

Just to confirm that ITV is cr@p at sports coverage on 19:22 - Jul 29 by Ryorry

Google is my friend -

Green = most points
White = best youngster

Special is ‘went through the most Red lights’ and ‘did the most miles riding on the pavement’ award
Login to get fewer ads

Just to confirm that ITV is cr@p at sports coverage on 20:26 - Jul 29 with 2648 viewsRadlett_blue

Just to confirm that ITV is cr@p at sports coverage on 19:29 - Jul 29 by TractorWood

The nature of the green jersey has changed over the years. Points are awarded for high stage finishes & in the past, Tour winners such as Merckx & Hinault have also won the Green Jersey. However, they have changed the way points are allocated & added points for the intermediate sprints, which used to comprise a separate competition, which means that a GC rider is very unlikely to win.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:31 - Jul 29 with 2641 viewsRyorry

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:44 - Jul 29 by TractorWood

It's a really complex, strategic and nuanced sport. You have to invest lots of time to get even a grasp of all the moving parts. It's also why it's such an amazing achievement to have led the GC so imperially.

I was intrigued to see one guy's bike being repaired from a car at what looked like about 15mph as he free-wheeled along! The engineering side interests me most, tho I can see what you mean about the riding of it. I do think it's an amazing feat of endurance - 83 + hours over weeks, the steepness of the mountain roads to both get up (I couldn't walk for 400 yards up some of them without stopping for breath!) and get down - in the fog, with sheer drops etc. Tbh, I think anyone contemplating doing it has to be stark staring mad!!

Just to confirm that ITV is cr@p at sports coverage on 20:34 - Jul 29 with 2636 viewsRyorry

Just to confirm that ITV is cr@p at sports coverage on 19:48 - Jul 29 by Ftnfwest

Special is ‘went through the most Red lights’ and ‘did the most miles riding on the pavement’ award

Sorry but Facters beat you to it ...

Just to confirm that ITV is cr@p at sports coverage on 20:47 - Jul 29 with 2612 viewsFtnfwest

Just to confirm that ITV is cr@p at sports coverage on 20:34 - Jul 29 by Ryorry

Sorry but Facters beat you to it ...

He did, I’m surprised he hasn’t been all over me for that
(No subject) (n/t) on 22:06 - Jul 29 with 2505 viewsBasuco

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:31 - Jul 29 by Ryorry

I was intrigued to see one guy's bike being repaired from a car at what looked like about 15mph as he free-wheeled along! The engineering side interests me most, tho I can see what you mean about the riding of it. I do think it's an amazing feat of endurance - 83 + hours over weeks, the steepness of the mountain roads to both get up (I couldn't walk for 400 yards up some of them without stopping for breath!) and get down - in the fog, with sheer drops etc. Tbh, I think anyone contemplating doing it has to be stark staring mad!!

In training for the TDF, in January Chris Froome rode 700 training miles in a week with his Sunday ride of 169 miles in a time of 6 hours 4 mins, average speed 27.8 mph, later it emerged that this was partly motor paced but still an amazing ride at the end of a big week. That is what it takes to ride the Tour, they are all very very special athletes with the ability to recover to a large extent over night and start again the next day.
Just to confirm that ITV is cr@p at sports coverage on 07:41 - Jul 30 with 2362 viewssolemio

Thank goodness you didn't watch the TdF on Eurosport, Ryorry. They made ITV seem like polished professionals - something I would not have thought possible.

I like Eurosport's winter coverage of ski jumping, but this was awful. I soon switched to ITV.
Just to confirm that ITV is cr@p at sports coverage on 07:47 - Jul 30 with 2355 viewsaceviljoen

you should have watched ITV4 coverage of the other stages it was brilliant at explaining whats going on.
(No subject) (n/t) on 07:50 - Jul 30 with 2345 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:44 - Jul 29 by TractorWood

Just like American football then...................apparently!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Just to confirm that ITV is cr@p at sports coverage on 08:11 - Jul 30 with 2322 viewsitfcjoe

The coverage is for the fans that have watched the whole thing - nothing more frustrating when you are a fan of a sport and they have to dumb down the commentary and coverage to a level that makes it unbearable.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Just to confirm that ITV is cr@p at sports coverage on 09:35 - Jul 30 with 2242 viewsSwansea_Blue

Just to confirm that ITV is cr@p at sports coverage on 07:47 - Jul 30 by aceviljoen

you should have watched ITV4 coverage of the other stages it was brilliant at explaining whats going on.

Not when my Angolan* missus had it on in Welsh it wasn't.

*edit - er, sorry I mean Welsh obviously. Just a slip of the tongue - always getting Wales and Angola muddled up.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Just to confirm that ITV is cr@p at sports coverage on 09:43 - Jul 30 with 2229 viewsSwansea_Blue

Just to confirm that ITV is cr@p at sports coverage on 08:11 - Jul 30 by itfcjoe

The coverage is for the fans that have watched the whole thing - nothing more frustrating when you are a fan of a sport and they have to dumb down the commentary and coverage to a level that makes it unbearable.

It's a female thing as well - like trying to explain the offside rule. Which is a bit of a surprise considering it's all about the clothes and pretty colours.

*runs away*

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Just to confirm that ITV is cr@p at sports coverage on 09:46 - Jul 30 with 2222 viewsRyorry

Just to confirm that ITV is cr@p at sports coverage on 08:11 - Jul 30 by itfcjoe

Wonderful, thank you so much - so in their blurb hyping up the final day, instead of saying "watch this amazing man and the grand finale on ITV as the riders enter Paris" they obviously should have said "please don't bother watching on ITV if you haven't watched previous stages & you're not already an expert in this sport - we prefer to remain elitist and put people off getting into it, cheers, bye".

Just to confirm that ITV is cr@p at sports coverage on 09:55 - Jul 30 with 2195 viewsitfcjoe

Just to confirm that ITV is cr@p at sports coverage on 09:46 - Jul 30 by Ryorry

Wonderful, thank you so much - so in their blurb hyping up the final day, instead of saying "watch this amazing man and the grand finale on ITV as the riders enter Paris" they obviously should have said "please don't bother watching on ITV if you haven't watched previous stages & you're not already an expert in this sport - we prefer to remain elitist and put people off getting into it, cheers, bye".

And they focussed on that man for the coverage and his achievement of winning yellow jersey - not who was King of the Mountains and already decided etc.

I'm not massively into my cycling, but a few people I know who are had been very complimentary about the ITV's coverage throughout the whole Tour so just think it's a shame that someone is slating it when they have just watched one bit at the end.

The coverage has to be consistent, and cycling is a well enough established sport that it is just covered in reality for fans of cycling - not everyone

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Just to confirm that ITV is cr@p at sports coverage on 10:01 - Jul 30 with 2178 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Just to confirm that ITV is cr@p at sports coverage on 09:46 - Jul 30 by Ryorry

Do you think every big football match should have segments explaining the rules, a run down of who’s who etc for any new viewers?

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Just to confirm that ITV is cr@p at sports coverage on 10:54 - Jul 30 with 2139 viewsRyorry

Just to confirm that ITV is cr@p at sports coverage on 10:01 - Jul 30 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Do you think every big football match should have segments explaining the rules, a run down of who’s who etc for any new viewers?

No, I think at at the Grand Finale Awards Ceremony, having invited a vast new audience in to watch a minority sport, they could have spent 20 seconds of the 15 minutes, during which there were long periods of no commentary/silence, explaining what each coloured jersey was for. That would have been sheer courtesy and common sense.

Just to confirm that ITV is cr@p at sports coverage on 11:13 - Jul 30 with 2114 viewsWD19

Cycling fans are a funny bunch. Throughout the coverage (over the previous stages) I noticed the commentators regularly apologised for explaining stuff and went on to say that not all viewers knew everything (because they were clearly getting social media pelters from the cycling anoraks for dumbing down the coverage).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024