Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU 10:38 - Dec 20 with 21009 viewsGlasgowBlue

These people are utter scum and I'm embarrassed I ticked the same box as them

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU on 22:58 - Dec 20 with 8381 viewscaught-in-limbo

This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU on 22:46 - Dec 20 by m14_blue

Fair enough.

As I say, I don’t think any leave voters should be embarrassed by the actions of these idiots, I can just understand why they might.

I think both leave and remainers should both be embarrassed by these people, because they are British and a product of our shared culture and times, but to be embarrassed of our own democracy-exercising behaviour because they happen to have the same behaviour is stupid. It's like Glassers feeling guilty about brushing his teeth because Jeremy Corbyn does.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU on 23:47 - Dec 20 with 8351 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

Why are you so outraged by this? Kate Hoey had similar treatment from EU fanatics who called her a traitor!

https://www.spiked-online.com/2018/12/20/of-course-anna-soubry-is-being-proteste

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU on 07:31 - Dec 21 with 8279 viewsDanTheMan

This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU on 22:16 - Dec 20 by caught-in-limbo

Couldn't find the Soros mention in the linked article, but a Brexiteer, wearing a gilet jaune, calling people Hitler, being crap generally and phoning in to LBC just sounds too good to be true.

Additionally, the fact that Glassers supposedly is embarrassed that he voted this way because of this man is simply hilarious.

I love apples, but yesterday I found out that not only Franco, but Hilter, Himmler and Goebbels also liked apples. I feel sick, I'm ashamed that I have ever eaten apples and certainly never will again.

#FascistsAteApples
#AppleEatersHaveNoPlaceInATolerantSociety

The guy who phoned in mentioned Soros, in the video but don't think it was in the article.

I saw another report name him as someone who's rather well known in those circles so not overly surprising he's called in. He even has a PayPal you can donate to.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU on 11:54 - Dec 21 with 8229 viewsjimmyvet

This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU on 11:58 - Dec 20 by CoachRob

The far right are on the rise and are using Brexit as a cover for their extremism. Many of the problems people are enduring come from discordant economics not the nonsense these people talk.
I think calling people "scum" is totally uncalled for and similar to Hillary Clinton's "Basket of deplorables". People like Glassers are helping to fuel resentment in society not tackle it.

And the far left...who now have taken control of the queens opposition just for a little balance!

BTW those morons in that video are a complete disgrace.
This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU on 12:06 - Dec 21 with 8220 viewsGlasgowBlue

This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU on 11:54 - Dec 21 by jimmyvet

And the far left...who now have taken control of the queens opposition just for a little balance!

BTW those morons in that video are a complete disgrace.

The far left and the far right are just different cheeks of the same arsehole.

Iron Lion Zion

This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU on 12:19 - Dec 21 with 8206 viewsNthsuffolkblue

This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU on 23:47 - Dec 20 by Jonnosdreadlocks

Why are you so outraged by this? Kate Hoey had similar treatment from EU fanatics who called her a traitor!

https://www.spiked-online.com/2018/12/20/of-course-anna-soubry-is-being-proteste

Any article that quotes the Brexit referendum as "a great act of democracy" really is trying to clutch at straws isn't it?

What exactly about that vote makes it such a great act of democracy that another referendum to check what terms people are prepared to accept on such a major decision is an undemocratic view? When did "taking back control" mean we had to surrender to some sort of dictatorship that could no longer consult the people any further and don't you think such a major change should have had more than a 4% margin?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU on 12:30 - Dec 21 with 8184 viewsfooters

This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU on 12:19 - Dec 21 by Nthsuffolkblue

Any article that quotes the Brexit referendum as "a great act of democracy" really is trying to clutch at straws isn't it?

What exactly about that vote makes it such a great act of democracy that another referendum to check what terms people are prepared to accept on such a major decision is an undemocratic view? When did "taking back control" mean we had to surrender to some sort of dictatorship that could no longer consult the people any further and don't you think such a major change should have had more than a 4% margin?

No surprise given that Spiked is one of many publications backed by some far-right US billionaires. I'm sure they view the Leave vote as a great opportunity to take advantage of the UK after exiting.

"Its articles repeatedly defend figures on the hard right or far right: Katie Hopkins, Nigel Farage, Alex Jones, the Democratic Football Lads’ Alliance, Tommy Robinson, Toby Young, Arron Banks, Viktor Orbán. They are portrayed as victims of “McCarthyites” trying to suppress free speech. It demands the hardest of possible Brexits, insisting that “No deal is nothing to fear”, as it would allow the UK to scrap EU regulations."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/dec/07/us-billionaires-hard-right

Of course this is a story in the Grauniad so it's all made up.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU on 12:38 - Dec 21 with 8178 viewsCoachRob

This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU on 12:06 - Dec 21 by GlasgowBlue

The far left and the far right are just different cheeks of the same arsehole.

Does this include Jewish far left groups? Just been speaking to a Jewish academic (Physicist) and she says people like you are a disgrace pushing an imperialist view point.
She suggests you read the works of Philip Anderson, Noble Laureate, "More is different" to understand how your reductionism is an insult to the diversity of view shared by Jewish people.

Merry Christmas Glassers and to all on TWTD whatever your beliefs.
Login to get fewer ads

This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU on 12:42 - Dec 21 with 8159 viewsDarth_Koont

This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU on 12:30 - Dec 21 by footers

No surprise given that Spiked is one of many publications backed by some far-right US billionaires. I'm sure they view the Leave vote as a great opportunity to take advantage of the UK after exiting.

"Its articles repeatedly defend figures on the hard right or far right: Katie Hopkins, Nigel Farage, Alex Jones, the Democratic Football Lads’ Alliance, Tommy Robinson, Toby Young, Arron Banks, Viktor Orbán. They are portrayed as victims of “McCarthyites” trying to suppress free speech. It demands the hardest of possible Brexits, insisting that “No deal is nothing to fear”, as it would allow the UK to scrap EU regulations."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/dec/07/us-billionaires-hard-right

Charles Koch is the billionaire. And his son is called Chase Koch, which still makes me giggle.

Pronouns: He/Him

This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU on 12:42 - Dec 21 with 8164 viewsNthsuffolkblue

This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU on 12:38 - Dec 21 by CoachRob

Does this include Jewish far left groups? Just been speaking to a Jewish academic (Physicist) and she says people like you are a disgrace pushing an imperialist view point.
She suggests you read the works of Philip Anderson, Noble Laureate, "More is different" to understand how your reductionism is an insult to the diversity of view shared by Jewish people.

What's the record for the longest thread on TWTD?

You have lit the touch paper there!

This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU on 12:44 - Dec 21 with 8147 viewsfooters

This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU on 12:42 - Dec 21 by Darth_Koont

Charles Koch is the billionaire. And his son is called Chase Koch, which still makes me giggle.

That's a name so innuendo-tastic it would be too crude for the Carry On gang!

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU on 12:57 - Dec 21 with 8135 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU on 12:19 - Dec 21 by Nthsuffolkblue

No, i'm sorry it doesn't fit in with your agenda. OK, so should the 1997 Welsh devolution vote be re run or have been scrapped? 50.3 to 49.7% favour of devolution. Only 50% bothered to vote! Where was the outrage then in something that split the union and became hugely costly as a result. You just display the typical conniving, self serving, lack of respect for democracy that many remainers have shown since 2016. Stall, Delay, Whinge, cling to the EU so eventually the result is overturned in your favour. That's why the Americans have the right to bear arms in their constitution. In case a dictatorial regime comes to power the individual has the right to protect themselves as a legacy from the American Revolution where they were being run by a regime outside the borders of their nation.

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU on 12:59 - Dec 21 with 8125 viewsNthsuffolkblue

This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU on 12:57 - Dec 21 by Jonnosdreadlocks

No, i'm sorry it doesn't fit in with your agenda. OK, so should the 1997 Welsh devolution vote be re run or have been scrapped? 50.3 to 49.7% favour of devolution. Only 50% bothered to vote! Where was the outrage then in something that split the union and became hugely costly as a result. You just display the typical conniving, self serving, lack of respect for democracy that many remainers have shown since 2016. Stall, Delay, Whinge, cling to the EU so eventually the result is overturned in your favour. That's why the Americans have the right to bear arms in their constitution. In case a dictatorial regime comes to power the individual has the right to protect themselves as a legacy from the American Revolution where they were being run by a regime outside the borders of their nation.

I don't think the Welsh devolution then had various further options associated with it.

I am not arguing for a "re-run of the referendum".

Try again.

How do you feel about Boaty McBoatface?

This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU on 13:07 - Dec 21 with 8103 viewsJ2BLUE

This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU on 12:57 - Dec 21 by Jonnosdreadlocks

Why are you so scared of another referendum? You can see how this is splitting the country. Another referendum would either force remainers to give up or end Brexit. Surely your stance isn't because of fear that leave would lose a second vote so you want to force Brexit through on a vote that is already out of date? If so, you just display the typical conniving, self serving, lack of respect for democracy that many leavers have shown since Brexit was revealed to be extremely damaging both socially and economically.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU on 13:11 - Dec 21 with 8092 viewsGlasgowBlue

What imperialist view point do I push pray tell?

And did your Jewish academic friend single me out personally as being a disgrace?

Could you please thank her for recommending the works of Philip Anderson so that I may better understand how my reductionism is an insult to the diversity of view(s) shared by Jewish people.

But could you please ask her what I have posted that lead her to draw such a conclusion? Did you send her a link to my posting history? If you did, could you ask if she has a view on my belief that we need to add a creative midfielder to the squad next month whilst also beefing up our attack?

Happy Chanukah

Iron Lion Zion

This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU on 13:16 - Dec 21 with 8077 viewseireblue

What you have highlighted there, is why in a representative parliamentary democracy, referendums are problematic.

If you consider democracy as an example of the wisdom of the crowd, then what both referendums have provided back to the ruling government is a resounding, "not really sure".

If you consider the jury system, it is an example of wisdom of the crowd.
Rather than a single judge, making a decision, 12 people get to decide the outcome.

In most cases the decision needs to be unanimous or can be by majority, but majority is not 7 vs 5, in a jury of 12, I believe it has to be at least 10 vs 2 .

I would suggest that the reason that there is such a acrimony, is that the referendum was seen as a win/loss thing, and it really should have been either more clearly run as a consulting process, or if an overwhelming majority emerged then that could have been seen as an indication to take action.

Personally I would rather we stayed in, but I think we have to leave, and if it ends up being a disaster, the government should execute their duty to the UK, adn get us back in, without a referendum.

Of course if it does end up being bad, I fully expect Brexit supporting people to assume the failure is down to two things, not separating enough from the EU, or other world economic factors, even if that is not true.

The thing that I have seen no Brexiter acknowledge that it could be a mistake. It if is a mistake, it is not reversible.

As a remainer I concede, that it is possible that the UK could be better off outside the EU, but that is a complete unknown, and not worth the risk, i.e. a sceptical position in the proper sense of the word.

In terms of a second referendum, of course it will be politicians not doing what they are paid to do, but it could be an interesting result, if it is seen as an exercise in evaluating the wisdom of the crowd again.
This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU on 13:19 - Dec 21 with 8065 viewsSeablu

Hazard of the job when you dip your toes in the same cesspit that people like jonnodreads & benters frequent.
This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU on 13:22 - Dec 21 with 8061 viewsStokieBlue

If you're going to keep pushing this view against Glassers you really should provide some evidence above "I spoke to my friend, they are a Physicist and thus clever, so whatever they say is gospel".

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU on 13:25 - Dec 21 with 8045 viewsNo9

This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU on 12:30 - Dec 21 by footers

Good post
The future of the UK as proposed by the right wingers is utopia for the rich and ,at best bleak, for others
This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU on 13:34 - Dec 21 with 8034 viewsjimmyvet

This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU on 13:25 - Dec 21 by No9

Good post
The future of the UK as proposed by the right wingers is utopia for the rich and ,at best bleak, for others

And the utopia proposed for all by the far left will be beneficial to who? I can't think of any but it will certainly be bleak for us all....
This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU on 14:23 - Dec 21 with 7972 viewsNo9

This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU on 13:34 - Dec 21 by jimmyvet

And the utopia proposed for all by the far left will be beneficial to who? I can't think of any but it will certainly be bleak for us all....

You are very unlikley to get a far left government in the UK.
This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU on 14:37 - Dec 21 with 7963 viewsITFC_Aylesbury

This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU on 11:08 - Dec 20 by MattinLondon

To be fair there are probably equally as loathsome individuals on the ‘remain’ side of the argument. I don’t think either side can claim to be perfect.

Casual xenophobia and out-and-out racism does seem to be in the increase and this is down to the rhetoric of UKIP as well as the Tory right.

Find me a single example of anything along these lines?

Approximately 700,000 of us in London to march for a Peoples Vote with barely any issues. At Leave protest after Leave protest we see such behaviour.
This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU on 15:24 - Dec 21 with 7920 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

How is being against another referendum more democratic than being for one, exactly?

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU on 15:45 - Dec 21 with 7900 viewsjjblue84

This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU on 15:24 - Dec 21 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

How is being against another referendum more democratic than being for one, exactly?

Well it makes the last one pointless for a start!
This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU on 16:15 - Dec 21 with 7873 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

This really isn't why I voted to leave the EU on 15:45 - Dec 21 by jjblue84

Well it makes the last one pointless for a start!

But the outcome would reflect the current views of the people, would it not?

For ultimate democracy, we should probably have one every day, with our membership changing each time depending on the outcome

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024