Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How good is lambert really... 08:14 - Jan 21 with 9958 viewskeanekipper

First of all i will say im happy he is here and committed to next season, as the club needs some stability during our impending relegation.

Lambert is definitely very good off the field and that is where is we have seen the improvment in ipswich since he arrived, but on the field there really hasnt been any improvment bar passing the ball more in posistions that dont affect the game. There have been postive periods in a few games where you can see and imagine what the future could be like, but im thinking by now we should be seeing more than a few periods of good play in what is now a good sample size of games.

Am i being harsh considering the mess he inherited, to expect him to have judged the squad and figure out a more effective way of playing to get points, to me it seems he's not managing to the situation and trying to play a style of football which doesnt suit the players we have in both ability and confidence.

Maybe im just overly down on us at the minute, roll on the summer!!!!
How good is lambert really... on 10:56 - Jan 21 with 3122 viewsGuthrum

How good is lambert really... on 10:52 - Jan 21 by Swansea_Blue

Evans is stepping in, not back. He's taking over Milne's duties and is going to be more hands on. How that will work out given his poor track record is anyone's guess. I suppose it depends why he was getting things and decisions wrong in the first place. If it was because he didn't really understand what was going on and relied too much on advice, maybe it's a good thing. We'll soon find out.

Also Lee O'Neill is taking on a sort of DoF role, he being a man who does have football knowlege.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

How good is lambert really... on 11:00 - Jan 21 with 3112 viewsSwansea_Blue

How good is lambert really... on 10:56 - Jan 21 by Guthrum

Also Lee O'Neill is taking on a sort of DoF role, he being a man who does have football knowlege.

Yes indeed. It'll be interesting to see how that dynamic between Evans, Lambert and O'Neil develops. It's rare these days for a manager to be given carte blanche on football matters, and that approach to date suggests it's not working for us.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

on 11:05 - Jan 21 with 3106 views_

How good is lambert really... on 11:16 - Jan 21 with 3076 viewsGuthrum

on 11:05 - Jan 21 by _

But it is considerably more than Ian Milne's. Or Marcus Evans', from the playing/coaching end.

How good is lambert really... on 11:18 - Jan 21 with 3070 viewsJammyDodgerrr

on 11:05 - Jan 21 by _

He has tonnes of experience within the game though, at a business level. Club Secretary at Wigan, involved higher up at Liverpool, and some other clubs. He talked about on the KOF podcast recently.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

on 11:20 - Jan 21 with 3065 views_

How good is lambert really... on 11:18 - Jan 21 by JammyDodgerrr

He has tonnes of experience within the game though, at a business level. Club Secretary at Wigan, involved higher up at Liverpool, and some other clubs. He talked about on the KOF podcast recently.

How good is lambert really... on 11:20 - Jan 21 with 3063 viewschicoazul

Not sure it's right to call it a DoF role or anything like it, I appreciate you have a caveat in there though. Evans calls all the shots on contractual commercial and financial matters, the club doesnt even have a Commercial Director. Thats DoF type stuff.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

How good is lambert really... on 11:22 - Jan 21 with 3058 viewsDarth_Koont

How good is lambert really... on 11:16 - Jan 21 by Guthrum

But it is considerably more than Ian Milne's. Or Marcus Evans', from the playing/coaching end.

Also, it seems to be focusing on the link between the academy and the first team, and how we bring players through to the professional ranks.

That's a realistic core to our overall footballing strategy as it's the best way of competing with the clubs that are spunking loads. Apart from Lambert and Bowman identifying a few steals out in the market ... where everyone else is also looking for value anyway.

Pronouns: He/Him

Login to get fewer ads

How good is lambert really... on 11:23 - Jan 21 with 3054 viewsGuthrum

How good is lambert really... on 11:20 - Jan 21 by chicoazul

Not sure it's right to call it a DoF role or anything like it, I appreciate you have a caveat in there though. Evans calls all the shots on contractual commercial and financial matters, the club doesnt even have a Commercial Director. Thats DoF type stuff.

Also Lambert does a fair chunk of the other end of what would traditionally be the DoF's role. I use the term more to convey his situation as being somewhere between the owner and the Manager. Altho even that is not in a direct line-of-command sense, as far as I understand it, more liaison.

How good is lambert really... on 11:26 - Jan 21 with 3043 viewsJammyDodgerrr

on 11:20 - Jan 21 by _

Just went looking for it and i'm completely wrong. Turns out it was Stuart Hayton on the podcast. I'm going back to bed. Apologies for that.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

How good is lambert really... on 11:27 - Jan 21 with 3040 viewsSwansea_Blue

How good is lambert really... on 11:22 - Jan 21 by Darth_Koont

Also, it seems to be focusing on the link between the academy and the first team, and how we bring players through to the professional ranks.

That's a realistic core to our overall footballing strategy as it's the best way of competing with the clubs that are spunking loads. Apart from Lambert and Bowman identifying a few steals out in the market ... where everyone else is also looking for value anyway.

I'd be interested to see what they're doing about the recruitment side too. With Evan's approach we simply can't afford from a football perspective to let managers unilaterally waste transfer budgets like Jewell and Hurst did. There needs to be some sort of underlying structure tying together the development teams, recruitment and the first team. The manager is then part of that when he (or she, let's be forward looking) comes in, but is only part of the team that identifies targets. Otherwise we'll never have any consistency in our vision (let's face it, we don't appear to have a vision other than whatever the manager at the time wants to do).

on 11:28 - Jan 21 with 3037 views_

How good is lambert really... on 11:26 - Jan 21 by JammyDodgerrr

Just went looking for it and i'm completely wrong. Turns out it was Stuart Hayton on the podcast. I'm going back to bed. Apologies for that.

How good is lambert really... on 11:31 - Jan 21 with 3035 viewsGuthrum

How good is lambert really... on 11:27 - Jan 21 by Swansea_Blue

I'd be interested to see what they're doing about the recruitment side too. With Evan's approach we simply can't afford from a football perspective to let managers unilaterally waste transfer budgets like Jewell and Hurst did. There needs to be some sort of underlying structure tying together the development teams, recruitment and the first team. The manager is then part of that when he (or she, let's be forward looking) comes in, but is only part of the team that identifies targets. Otherwise we'll never have any consistency in our vision (let's face it, we don't appear to have a vision other than whatever the manager at the time wants to do).

The tricky bit about that being that it is the Manager who has to use those players. We see at other clubs the friction resulting from them not being given players other than the ones they think they want (or none at all).

How good is lambert really... on 11:35 - Jan 21 with 3028 viewsGuthrum

on 11:28 - Jan 21 by _

But at least that 20 years gives him considerable insight into what works and what doesn't on the Academy/coaching side at ITFC, going back before Evans' arrival.

Lambert is the resident football expert. That's why I wouldn't describe O'Neill as a genuine DoF.

on 11:39 - Jan 21 with 3023 views_

How good is lambert really... on 11:35 - Jan 21 by Guthrum

But at least that 20 years gives him considerable insight into what works and what doesn't on the Academy/coaching side at ITFC, going back before Evans' arrival.

Lambert is the resident football expert. That's why I wouldn't describe O'Neill as a genuine DoF.

How good is lambert really... on 11:48 - Jan 21 with 3008 viewsSwansea_Blue

How good is lambert really... on 11:31 - Jan 21 by Guthrum

The tricky bit about that being that it is the Manager who has to use those players. We see at other clubs the friction resulting from them not being given players other than the ones they think they want (or none at all).

Yes, there is that to juggle. Some sort of checks and balance are needed though imo, as we've still got the the point where the manager is having to use players that aren't his. With the short tenure of managers these days I'm not keen on on them having the keys of the kingdom.

I'm sure I heard someone mention over the weekend that nearly half the managers in this league have been replaced already this season. It's nuts!

How good is lambert really... on 11:53 - Jan 21 with 3003 viewsGuthrum

on 11:39 - Jan 21 by _

From what I gather he's a sports scientist.

In reality, we'll just have to see how his role develops (is he a channel between Lambert, the Academy and Evans, or just a new spokesman for the last of those?) and whether he's any good at it.

How good is lambert really... on 19:16 - Jan 21 with 2935 viewsMach_foreignBlue

How good is lambert really... on 09:14 - Jan 21 by ArnieM

OP: please don’t start all that shyte . Lambert has been here only s few months . Largely working with Hursts players , and even now only doing a patch up job ( which he , himself said would be his first job b4 going on to rebuild the Club). How about giving him the same time span McCarthy had before passing comments that have a tendency to pick up momentum !

Some people ask when they are allowed to judge/criticise Lambert.

Well, when some of us criticise the 'proper blokes' for their bad contribution it doesn't go well with some. Chambers as good as he is OFF the pitch he's been hopeless on it this season.

Skuse - very poor on Saturday. Today he's waffling in the EADT that they know they haven't got an eternity to pick up points. Moreover he has a cheek to say that there was nothing between the teams for an hour. Yes, there was ! Him having been wasteful and giving away balls.

Knudsen - any criticism of him and some get teary on here just because he's said 'nice things' about mccarthy. In fact if he had been arsed to help Pennington at Reading we would have been 5 points of safety instead of 7. Instead of that he left Pennington to deal with two Reading's giant forwards.

Those who aren't impressed with the results since Lambert's arrival should know that some players' contribution is the bigger problem.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2019 19:17]
How good is lambert really... on 19:24 - Jan 21 with 2920 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

How good is lambert really... on 19:16 - Jan 21 by Mach_foreignBlue

Well, when some of us criticise the 'proper blokes' for their bad contribution it doesn't go well with some. Chambers as good as he is OFF the pitch he's been hopeless on it this season.

Skuse - very poor on Saturday. Today he's waffling in the EADT that they know they haven't got an eternity to pick up points. Moreover he has a cheek to say that there was nothing between the teams for an hour. Yes, there was ! Him having been wasteful and giving away balls.

Knudsen - any criticism of him and some get teary on here just because he's said 'nice things' about mccarthy. In fact if he had been arsed to help Pennington at Reading we would have been 5 points of safety instead of 7. Instead of that he left Pennington to deal with two Reading's giant forwards.

Those who aren't impressed with the results since Lambert's arrival should know that some players' contribution is the bigger problem.

If those players are really the problem (and I don’t believe they are - although I would agree Chambers has been below par this season as Skuse certainly struggled coming back in Saturday), surely the blame should lie with Lambert for continuing to pick them?

Although the one he has stopped pickings replacement was responsible for the opening goal on Saturday, so maybe not

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

How good is lambert really... on 19:48 - Jan 21 with 2909 viewsLankHenners

How good is lambert really... on 19:16 - Jan 21 by Mach_foreignBlue

Who’d have thought you would point the finger at 3 of Mick McCarthy’s stalwarts and most outspoken supporters.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

How good is lambert really... on 19:58 - Jan 21 with 2902 viewsPecker

The confidence is shattered in the club and will take time to rebuild. Think he will bring in the right players in the summer to make us competitive in L1, whether it will be enough to gain promotion I am not sure. He has started to bring the club together and I hope that his actions are as good as his words. Good enough for L1 and good enough for the Championship with the right squad. We must give him the time as constantly changing managers is bad for all of us.
How good is lambert really... on 20:06 - Jan 21 with 2895 viewsMach_foreignBlue

How good is lambert really... on 19:48 - Jan 21 by LankHenners

Who’d have thought you would point the finger at 3 of Mick McCarthy’s stalwarts and most outspoken supporters.

Oh I forgot they were untouchable.
How good is lambert really... on 20:15 - Jan 21 with 2887 views3_5_2

How good is lambert really... on 08:17 - Jan 21 by Reuser_is_God

Wait until he’s had a few transfer windows & when we can see this truly is his team before judging him.

there will be some serious waffle on here so this is my view

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

How good is lambert really... on 20:28 - Jan 21 with 2876 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

How good is lambert really... on 20:06 - Jan 21 by Mach_foreignBlue

A succession of managers seem to think so, yes

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

How good is lambert really... on 20:28 - Jan 21 with 2875 viewsLankHenners

How good is lambert really... on 20:06 - Jan 21 by Mach_foreignBlue

Ah yes I forgot the only two ways to judge people are ‘untouchable’ or ‘totally at fault’.

Trying to pin the club’s problems on those three players is laughable even by your standards.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024