Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Looks like another own goal by the club on ticketing 15:40 - Jul 31 with 6819 viewsElderGrizzly

Looks like another own goal by the club on ticketing on 21:14 - Jul 31 with 980 viewsSibelius8

Looks like another own goal by the club on ticketing on 20:50 - Jul 31 by Meadowlark

This!
Everybody is different and for those who plan their matchday weeks in advance to criticise those that just decide to turn up on the day is absurd.
For supporters that live out of town (me) a likely scenario is to talk to your mates down the pub on a Friday night and see who's going. Some can, some cannot. Others won't know until the Saturday due to wife/kids/work/chores etc.
Matchday then usually involves getting to Ipswich, going down the pub, then rocking up to Portman Road about 2.45.
The new arrangement puts this whole process in jeopardy as there will be queues to get tickets and queues to get in, lengthening the access time beyond kick-off. Quite likely many will just say they can't be bothered.
You might say we should leave earlier, not go to the pub, print our tickets at home, but a lot of variables exist in the whole process and this new regime makes it very difficult for the regular "casual" supporter. It makes things much more difficult at a time when the club should be doing all in its power to get more people in.
Obviously, the club does not value us. We didn't buy a season ticket so we can get stuffed.
In this day and age surely they should have contactless card payments on the turnstiles. I know we're in Suffolk, but it's 2019 for crying out loud.

Very well put!
Looks like another own goal by the club on ticketing on 21:59 - Jul 31 with 960 viewstractorboy1978

Chances of there being more than 1 card machine on the North Lower bar this season? Slim to none.
Looks like another own goal by the club on ticketing on 22:29 - Jul 31 with 948 viewsolimar

Looks like another own goal by the club on ticketing on 15:50 - Jul 31 by SitfcB

There’s no way Marcus will spend the money on operator free turnstiles.

Should’ve been done years ago, I thought it was going to be done when the tickets went to having barcodes on them, but no.

Totally agree. A couple of years ago, it was advertised as part of the membership benefits that tickets would be loaded to the card for scanning at the turnstile.
It didnt happen and the club were picked up on it and they said it proved too complex to implement in time for the start of the season.
That was, from memory, just before 17/18 season.

The club went to digital scanners quite early, but did it on the cheap and the benefits of doing that must be fairly minimal given that we still need to employ someone to stand behind the turnstile and scan the ticket anyway!
Looks like another own goal by the club on ticketing on 22:33 - Jul 31 with 946 viewsolimar

It makes sense to me- removes the need for the turnstile operators to deal with cash, which in turn should hopefully make it quicker to get people into the ground.
Then the cash transactions are all dealt with by the same people, who are selling either for the current match or a future match or whatever- it centralises it.
I dont see too much of an issue, as long as they staff it properly (which is probably the issue right there).

I still wonder how people get to saturday without planning that they are going to go already anyway.
Looks like another own goal by the club on ticketing on 22:42 - Jul 31 with 939 viewsolimar

Looks like another own goal by the club on ticketing on 16:18 - Jul 31 by factual_blue

All that needs to be done is to reposition the existing barcode readers, i.e. turn them round.

Im no expert, but they look like hand scanners that point at a surface.
So, as long as the turnstile operators put them flat against their surface, they scan ok. But turning them around would probably be a nightmare. Its why the proper ones get you to push the ticket into a slot to read them
Looks like another own goal by the club on ticketing on 22:54 - Jul 31 with 936 viewsStNeotsBlue

Looks like another own goal by the club on ticketing on 22:33 - Jul 31 by olimar

It makes sense to me- removes the need for the turnstile operators to deal with cash, which in turn should hopefully make it quicker to get people into the ground.
Then the cash transactions are all dealt with by the same people, who are selling either for the current match or a future match or whatever- it centralises it.
I dont see too much of an issue, as long as they staff it properly (which is probably the issue right there).

I still wonder how people get to saturday without planning that they are going to go already anyway.

Regarding your last sentence, circumstances change. I normally have my daughters with me of a weekend but as they get older, youngest is 13, they increasingly have better options and so I often find myself unexpectedly free with little notice. Will this change put me off going last minute, probably not but it does make it a bit more of a ball ache potentially.

Regarding the point someone else made about saving money as it is a cost to the club to bank cash, they're still taking cash just not in a way that is convenient to customers and good luck getting your pie and pint at half time with your bank card.
Looks like another own goal by the club on ticketing on 22:59 - Jul 31 with 928 viewspointofblue

Looks like another own goal by the club on ticketing on 22:33 - Jul 31 by olimar

Then why not have a set of turnstiles for each stand which are ticket only and one or two for each which are cash only? That way those with tickets will go through quickly but those who want to pay on the day still have the opportunity to.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Looks like another own goal by the club on ticketing on 23:04 - Jul 31 with 920 viewslinhdi

There is one (minor?) advantage. Historically, if only a small number of tickets are left in one area, they won't be put on sale - blocks of unsold seats are printed instead for turnstile sale. Now, the remaining 50-100 SBR Lower seats, dotted around, can be sold on the day, filling it up.

Still seems odd not to do turnstile purchase, even if just one per stand and card only.
Login to get fewer ads

Looks like another own goal by the club on ticketing on 23:10 - Jul 31 with 909 viewsolimar

Looks like another own goal by the club on ticketing on 22:54 - Jul 31 by StNeotsBlue

Regarding your last sentence, circumstances change. I normally have my daughters with me of a weekend but as they get older, youngest is 13, they increasingly have better options and so I often find myself unexpectedly free with little notice. Will this change put me off going last minute, probably not but it does make it a bit more of a ball ache potentially.

Regarding the point someone else made about saving money as it is a cost to the club to bank cash, they're still taking cash just not in a way that is convenient to customers and good luck getting your pie and pint at half time with your bank card.

Yeah, that is fair enough and can understand that. But as long as they can still cater for you easily enough, then it should be ok. And I guess in all honesty, as you say, it will probably not put people off.
Looks like another own goal by the club on ticketing on 23:16 - Jul 31 with 903 viewsStNeotsBlue

Looks like another own goal by the club on ticketing on 23:10 - Jul 31 by olimar

Yeah, that is fair enough and can understand that. But as long as they can still cater for you easily enough, then it should be ok. And I guess in all honesty, as you say, it will probably not put people off.

What I don't understand is the inconsistency, you can't use cash to get in the ground and once you're in you can't use your card. It doesn't seem like a sensible model.
Looks like another own goal by the club on ticketing on 23:19 - Jul 31 with 894 viewsolimar

Looks like another own goal by the club on ticketing on 22:59 - Jul 31 by pointofblue

Then why not have a set of turnstiles for each stand which are ticket only and one or two for each which are cash only? That way those with tickets will go through quickly but those who want to pay on the day still have the opportunity to.

Because that still means having people carrying cash on each turnstile.
To me, it makes sense, all the people handling money transactions are in one place, able to offer card or cash. As it is, if the majority of "on the day" sales are in SBR and very little or none in Cobbold, you have a queue of people at SBR "cash only" turnstiles, but potentially nobody at the Cobbold equivalent.
So just make everyone go to the same place, pool all the resources, allow option of cash or card, likely dealing with people who spend all week doing cash/card transactions.

It is quite possible that the actual sale of a ticket is much quicker than it is currently, which counteracts having to walk 3-4 mins further to get the ticket to start with.

The only issue will be if they reduce staffing in that ticket office down to save costs and undermine the benefits. In fairness, theres every possibility thats the case, but the theory seems good so probably best to see how it works first.
Looks like another own goal by the club on ticketing on 23:57 - Jul 31 with 868 viewsbournemouthblue

I suspect it amounts to simply having less ticketing staff at games?

Another cutback at the club to workers who can't cost a lot to keep in reality?

Are they moving to contactless card machines or simply encouraging people to print tickets or have the pdf on their phone etc?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Looks like another own goal by the club on ticketing on 00:01 - Aug 1 with 862 viewsBrixtonBlue

Several people have posted the reasons why above.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Looks like another own goal by the club on ticketing on 00:50 - Aug 1 with 830 viewsstonojnr

Looks like another own goal by the club on ticketing on 23:19 - Jul 31 by olimar

To me, it makes sense, all the people handling money transactions are in one place, able to offer card or cash. As it is, if the majority of "on the day" sales are in SBR and very little or none in Cobbold, you have a queue of people at SBR "cash only" turnstiles, but potentially nobody at the Cobbold equivalent.
So just make everyone go to the same place, pool all the resources, allow option of cash or card, likely dealing with people who spend all week doing cash/card transactions.

It is quite possible that the actual sale of a ticket is much quicker than it is currently, which counteracts having to walk 3-4 mins further to get the ticket to start with.

The only issue will be if they reduce staffing in that ticket office down to save costs and undermine the benefits. In fairness, theres every possibility thats the case, but the theory seems good so probably best to see how it works first.

Ive stood behind people in planet blue trying to buy tickets, it is not remotely quicker than walking upto a cash turnstile and just paying for a ticket with money.

youll get the whole have you got a customer number, ooh I cant remember it, name address, oh yes here you are, so where would you like to sit, well how much is that seat there, oh I might not like that view, how about that one over in that block, are there two seats there, no oh I dont want to sit too near the front, or have people standing up in front of me, or be on the sides.

theyll then pick a seat finally, pay for it, which of course is more than the cashless limit now, so its chip & pin, first card doesnt work, tries the 2nd one finally success, yeah that only took 10mins of my life I wont get back, right Ill make it easy I want tickets in Sir Alf block 2, ok done, right oh turnstiles 1-9 is it, but why cant I walk through the turnstiles this side by constantine road the stand is open all the way through its no different surely, oh no you cant do that, you must walk all the way back around to turnstiles 1-9 to get in via the correct turnstiles...

at this point I remember why I stay in the pub instead.

vs walk upto the stand I want to sit in, hand over cash, go sit in a seat allocated to me

and remember its not just Saturday games, we play alot of midweek games this season, I know plenty of people who work in London, dont know which train theyll be on, or if it will arrive on time anyway who based on how rubbish or good their day at work has been will go walk up pay on the turnstile.

life gets more complicated the older you get & its not as easy to predict in advance whether youll be free on a particular day or night, often right up to a few hours before kick off
Looks like another own goal by the club on ticketing on 01:19 - Aug 1 with 810 viewsazuremerlangus

Do you still need to print a ticket these days? Can you not just scan an e-ticket at the turnstile?

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Looks like another own goal by the club on ticketing on 07:32 - Aug 1 with 756 viewstractorboy1978

Looks like another own goal by the club on ticketing on 23:19 - Jul 31 by olimar

Buying a ticket at the ticket office will be quicker than handing the cash over on the gate and walking straight in? No chance.

This could all be resolved by simply having a card machine on 1/2 turnstiles in each stand.
Looks like another own goal by the club on ticketing on 08:34 - Aug 1 with 739 viewsSuperfrans

A storm in a teacup, for me.

No doubt some people do still buy tickets on matchday. but the club will know how many of those there are. They won't be putting huge sums of cash at risk. That would simply be bad business.

There is a short term risk that the club will lose a bit of income - but the medium and long-term plan will be to encouarage more/all people to order tickets in advance, either online or from the club shop, and not leave it until the day. Seems sensible to me.

Potentially a bit of short term pain, for long-term gain.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Looks like another own goal by the club on ticketing on 08:57 - Aug 1 with 711 viewsFunge

Looks like another own goal by the club on ticketing on 08:34 - Aug 1 by Superfrans

No doubt some people do still buy tickets on matchday. but the club will know how many of those there are. They won't be putting huge sums of cash at risk. That would simply be bad business.

There is a short term risk that the club will lose a bit of income - but the medium and long-term plan will be to encouarage more/all people to order tickets in advance, either online or from the club shop, and not leave it until the day. Seems sensible to me.

'That would simply be bad business'

* hollow laugh *
Looks like another own goal by the club on ticketing on 09:24 - Aug 1 with 691 viewsSuperfrans

Looks like another own goal by the club on ticketing on 20:50 - Jul 31 by Meadowlark

This!
Everybody is different and for those who plan their matchday weeks in advance to criticise those that just decide to turn up on the day is absurd.
For supporters that live out of town (me) a likely scenario is to talk to your mates down the pub on a Friday night and see who's going. Some can, some cannot. Others won't know until the Saturday due to wife/kids/work/chores etc.
Matchday then usually involves getting to Ipswich, going down the pub, then rocking up to Portman Road about 2.45.
The new arrangement puts this whole process in jeopardy as there will be queues to get tickets and queues to get in, lengthening the access time beyond kick-off. Quite likely many will just say they can't be bothered.
You might say we should leave earlier, not go to the pub, print our tickets at home, but a lot of variables exist in the whole process and this new regime makes it very difficult for the regular "casual" supporter. It makes things much more difficult at a time when the club should be doing all in its power to get more people in.
Obviously, the club does not value us. We didn't buy a season ticket so we can get stuffed.
In this day and age surely they should have contactless card payments on the turnstiles. I know we're in Suffolk, but it's 2019 for crying out loud.

I'm willing to accept that I'm under-estimating the impact of this. And I wouldn't dare to criticise anyone for how they organise their football visits.

But...

if you decide on a Saturday morning, can't you buy a ticket online (which is cheaper) and then print it at home?
Or pop along and pick up your ticket *before* the pub? (I realise this may not be as easy if you're not drinking in town).

I realise it may be a ball-ache for people to change their usual routine, but we all have to do this all the time and the number of people who buy tickets on the day must surely be a tiny, tiny minority...

Looks like another own goal by the club on ticketing on 09:27 - Aug 1 with 682 viewsitfcjoe

Looks like another own goal by the club on ticketing on 09:24 - Aug 1 by Superfrans

I'm willing to accept that I'm under-estimating the impact of this. And I wouldn't dare to criticise anyone for how they organise their football visits.

But...

if you decide on a Saturday morning, can't you buy a ticket online (which is cheaper) and then print it at home?
Or pop along and pick up your ticket *before* the pub? (I realise this may not be as easy if you're not drinking in town).

I realise it may be a ball-ache for people to change their usual routine, but we all have to do this all the time and the number of people who buy tickets on the day must surely be a tiny, tiny minority...

Most normal businesses would cut a service like this and offer an improvement - no more buy at the turnstiles but you can buy on your phone/in our app and use the e-ticket at the turnstile.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Looks like another own goal by the club on ticketing on 09:30 - Aug 1 with 672 viewsSuperfrans

Looks like another own goal by the club on ticketing on 09:27 - Aug 1 by itfcjoe

Most normal businesses would cut a service like this and offer an improvement - no more buy at the turnstiles but you can buy on your phone/in our app and use the e-ticket at the turnstile.

fact is though that we don't have cash sloshing around for technical upgrades like that.

All this talk of installing driverless turnstiles is also pie in the sky, which would require huge outlay.

This smacks to me of a business trying to change behaviours, as many business do. it's standard fare and I'm not sure (in practise) it will really do much damage to the club's income or fans' routines, once we all get used to it. To be honest...

Looks like another own goal by the club on ticketing on 10:12 - Aug 1 with 647 viewshaynes_toe1

Like everything at the club under Evans, its just poorly implemented. Spend a few hundred quid and this problem is easily solved. Maybe you'll sell an extra 1000 tickets over a season by making it easy?

I dont understand why you wouldn't allow one turnstile per stand to purchase. Its not like we have anything near 30k coming through the gates. 12k is easy to deal with.
Looks like another own goal by the club on ticketing on 12:42 - Aug 1 with 614 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looks like another own goal by the club on ticketing on 08:34 - Aug 1 by Superfrans

It's not sensible at all, for all the reasons listed above.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Looks like another own goal by the club on ticketing on 12:45 - Aug 1 with 607 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looks like another own goal by the club on ticketing on 09:30 - Aug 1 by Superfrans

fact is though that we don't have cash sloshing around for technical upgrades like that.

All this talk of installing driverless turnstiles is also pie in the sky, which would require huge outlay.

This smacks to me of a business trying to change behaviours, as many business do. it's standard fare and I'm not sure (in practise) it will really do much damage to the club's income or fans' routines, once we all get used to it. To be honest...

You don't need "cash sloshing around for technical upgrades." I've already said further up, people at car boot sales and street food vendors accept credit cards these days. Have you actually read the thread?

Looks like another own goal by the club on ticketing on 14:49 - Aug 1 with 593 viewsSuperfrans

Looks like another own goal by the club on ticketing on 12:45 - Aug 1 by BrixtonBlue

You don't need "cash sloshing around for technical upgrades." I've already said further up, people at car boot sales and street food vendors accept credit cards these days. Have you actually read the thread?

I have read the thread, thanks. I actually saw your initial post on car boot sales (or whatever it was above) and assumed it was a joke.

One bloke operating an iZettle at a boot fair is very different to using it as part of an integrated bar system. I'd hate this to not be the case, but it is.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024