Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What the effing heck up are the Yanks up? 14:29 - Nov 4 with 1726 viewsKeno

voting stopped ages ago but there hasn't been up date since mid morning.

Cant they get a move on!!

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

What the effing heck up are the Yanks up? on 15:30 - Nov 4 with 530 viewsfooters

What the effing heck up are the Yanks up? on 15:28 - Nov 4 by Keno

do yanks have this stuff

You two better stop it or I'm going to Phil about this bullying.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

What the effing heck up are the Yanks up? on 15:32 - Nov 4 with 527 viewsKeno

What the effing heck up are the Yanks up? on 15:30 - Nov 4 by footers

You two better stop it or I'm going to Phil about this bullying.

I was just to gauge how civilised the yanks were by judging how adavnced there cake tastes have developed

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

What the effing heck up are the Yanks up? on 15:34 - Nov 4 with 523 viewsBlueBadger

What the effing heck up are the Yanks up? on 15:24 - Nov 4 by Mercian

But he will still have the finger on the button.

First thing the CIA did when 2016's result was confirmed was install a fake 'red button' in the Oval Office that makes lots of lights flash and sirens go off and nothing else, I reckon.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

What the effing heck up are the Yanks up? on 15:45 - Nov 4 with 508 viewsGuthrum

What the effing heck up are the Yanks up? on 15:20 - Nov 4 by bluelagos

They'll get there.

What gets me is why don't they have a federal approach to rules on voting / counting instead of 50 sets of rules.

Why do they have a system where the majority can (and do) vote for the loser?

Why does it take them 2 1/2 months to hand over to the new guy? The old guy is by definition p*ssed off, in Trumps case a mentalist, and he has his finger on the button...

Because the USA is 50 semi-independent countries and territories gathered together in something of a federation. As such - and to keep up the popular fiction - the states retain their individualistic rules, under the oversight of their own distinct legislatures.

The built-in time delay is simply a factor of it being a large nation and historically taking a long time for data and officials to reach the capital from its farthest reaches. The Electoral College doesn't even meet to officially elect the President until the middle of December.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

What the effing heck up are the Yanks up? on 15:48 - Nov 4 with 500 viewswkj

What the effing heck up are the Yanks up? on 15:45 - Nov 4 by Guthrum

Because the USA is 50 semi-independent countries and territories gathered together in something of a federation. As such - and to keep up the popular fiction - the states retain their individualistic rules, under the oversight of their own distinct legislatures.

The built-in time delay is simply a factor of it being a large nation and historically taking a long time for data and officials to reach the capital from its farthest reaches. The Electoral College doesn't even meet to officially elect the President until the middle of December.

If the USA didn't have the state power it would be virtually impossible to run. The electoral college system is still really horrible and should be used as a tie breaker in my opinion, with the popular vote being the main factor.

However, I also feel FPTP in the UK is bullchit too. Every vote should count, but ultimately in our systems a lot of votes end up not really counting for much.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

What the effing heck up are the Yanks up? on 15:52 - Nov 4 with 495 viewsjeera

What the effing heck up are the Yanks up? on 15:45 - Nov 4 by Guthrum

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

What the effing heck up are the Yanks up? on 15:55 - Nov 4 with 488 viewsGuthrum

What the effing heck up are the Yanks up? on 15:48 - Nov 4 by wkj

If the USA didn't have the state power it would be virtually impossible to run. The electoral college system is still really horrible and should be used as a tie breaker in my opinion, with the popular vote being the main factor.

However, I also feel FPTP in the UK is bullchit too. Every vote should count, but ultimately in our systems a lot of votes end up not really counting for much.

The biggest issue with the EC is the fact that the majority of states use the "winner gets all" method of apportioning electors. Fairer would be to do it proportionately, or by district (as per Maine and Nebraska).

At least in the UK constituencies are much smaller and of roughly uniform population, thus giving more genuine texture to results.

The individual state powers are also useful as a counter to Federal malpractice (e.g. voter suppression).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

What the effing heck up are the Yanks up? on 16:12 - Nov 4 with 452 viewsBlueBadger

What the effing heck up are the Yanks up? on 15:22 - Nov 4 by Illinoisblue

There’s only one Mathie

He quite often sees more than one of himself in the mirror if he's had a few...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

What the effing heck up are the Yanks up? on 18:25 - Nov 4 with 419 viewsOldsmoker

The US is big - really big.
Texas is 696,000 sq km
California is 424,000 sq km
UK is 242,000 sq km
Distance from coast to coast is about 3,500km
Distance from Dublin to Budapest 1900km.
Some states know as much about other states as we do about Lithuania which is an EU country.
Each state has its own laws on voting.
Some states won't allow the counting of mail-in ballots until the polls have closed and others start counting before polling day.
You need to think of each state as a country all on its own.
It's an interesting place no mistake.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024