Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Favourite Sports Commentator 09:47 - Mar 14 with 4777 viewsKeno

following the sad news yesterday have been or who are your favourite commentators?

I feel lucky even to remember John Arlott,
Bill McClaren was an excellent rugby man
Gerry Harrison is worth a mention

and of the commentators around nowadays I actually really like Brenner Woolley
[Post edited 14 Mar 2021 9:56]

Poll: IF TWTD was a constituency who'd you vote for?
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Favourite Sports Commentator on 11:35 - Mar 14 with 1423 viewsBasingstokeBlue

Favourite Sports Commentator on 10:30 - Mar 14 by solemio

John Arlott wasn't a mere cricket commentator, he was a poet. It was almost as good as being there- well, almost better really. Alan Gibson next best.

Ah, John Arlott. Every time I walk past his house I hear his dulcet tones in my mind.

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

Favourite Sports Commentator on 11:44 - Mar 14 with 1417 viewsChurchman

For football and for the 70s/80s I give you the incomparable radio commentator Peter Jones. He along with fellow commentator Bryon Butler made you feel like you were at the game. No endless forcing of their own opinions like that Irish bloke or moving off from the action. Just passionate commentary. You got a real sense of the game. They sometimes had an ex-pro chipping in like Denis Law, but they truly commentated. Sadly missed.

In other sports, Cricket, Richie Benaud - scrupulously objective, Tennis, John McEnroe, never wastes words and lastly Murray Walker. He was just pure entertainment.
Favourite Sports Commentator on 11:53 - Mar 14 with 1407 viewsPendejo

Favourite Sports Commentator on 11:44 - Mar 14 by Churchman

For football and for the 70s/80s I give you the incomparable radio commentator Peter Jones. He along with fellow commentator Bryon Butler made you feel like you were at the game. No endless forcing of their own opinions like that Irish bloke or moving off from the action. Just passionate commentary. You got a real sense of the game. They sometimes had an ex-pro chipping in like Denis Law, but they truly commentated. Sadly missed.

In other sports, Cricket, Richie Benaud - scrupulously objective, Tennis, John McEnroe, never wastes words and lastly Murray Walker. He was just pure entertainment.

Jones/Butler = Cup Final 78

For that alone leg-ends

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Favourite Sports Commentator on 11:57 - Mar 14 with 1402 viewsChurchman

Favourite Sports Commentator on 11:53 - Mar 14 by Pendejo

Jones/Butler = Cup Final 78

For that alone leg-ends

I wish I’d heard it but I was in a certain place in north London that day; lucky me. I did hear them doing the EUFA Cup AZ Alkmaar second leg game and I enjoyed that, through the excruciating tension.
Favourite Sports Commentator on 12:03 - Mar 14 with 1393 viewsPendejo

Favourite Sports Commentator on 11:57 - Mar 14 by Churchman

I wish I’d heard it but I was in a certain place in north London that day; lucky me. I did hear them doing the EUFA Cup AZ Alkmaar second leg game and I enjoyed that, through the excruciating tension.

BBC and Orwell released their full commentaries on vinyl, both of which I borrowed from Ipswich library many decades ago.

On some mix tapes I used to have the move from Cooper to goal play between songs, sometimes at regular speed, some speeded up. Orwell at 45Rom once goal scored is magnificent.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Favourite Sports Commentator on 12:18 - Mar 14 with 1386 viewsPJH

Favourite Sports Commentator on 12:03 - Mar 14 by Pendejo

BBC and Orwell released their full commentaries on vinyl, both of which I borrowed from Ipswich library many decades ago.

On some mix tapes I used to have the move from Cooper to goal play between songs, sometimes at regular speed, some speeded up. Orwell at 45Rom once goal scored is magnificent.

'Bobby's Dazzlers' is the BBC commentary.

'We Won The Cup' is the Radio Orwell one.

Guess what, I have got both of them.

edit-regarding OP I think there have been loads of very good cricket commentators but probably John Arlott and Richie Benaud at the head of the list.
[Post edited 14 Mar 2021 12:20]
Favourite Sports Commentator on 12:28 - Mar 14 with 1379 viewsghostofescobar

Gerry Harrison. Reminds of Sunday’s, watching Town on Match of the Week.

GhostOfEscobar

Favourite Sports Commentator on 12:41 - Mar 14 with 1377 viewsWD19

I admire John Rawling.

In fact I like any of the true pros that turn their hand to multiple diverse sports.
Login to get fewer ads

Favourite Sports Commentator on 12:57 - Mar 14 with 1363 viewssolemio

Favourite Sports Commentator on 12:41 - Mar 14 by WD19

I admire John Rawling.

In fact I like any of the true pros that turn their hand to multiple diverse sports.

eg Andrew Cotter, I would suggest.

Good at golf, rugby, athletics, tennis and The Boat Race.
Favourite Sports Commentator on 13:02 - Mar 14 with 1356 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

David Coleman - Osborne 1 - nil

Oh and Richie Benaud
Favourite Sports Commentator on 13:24 - Mar 14 with 1347 viewsblueislander

Favourite Sports Commentator on 11:35 - Mar 14 by BasingstokeBlue

Ah, John Arlott. Every time I walk past his house I hear his dulcet tones in my mind.

Do you live on Alderney?
Favourite Sports Commentator on 14:00 - Mar 14 with 1329 viewsBugs

Watching the golf on sky yesterday evening really made me appreciate how good Peter Alliss was.

I agree with you RE Brenner, I said years ago that we're lucky to have him. I'm surprised he hasn't been poached to work at a more national level.
Favourite Sports Commentator on 14:09 - Mar 14 with 1317 viewsjontysnut

Dave Lanning - darts and speedway.
Favourite Sports Commentator on 14:53 - Mar 14 with 1303 viewsTheBoyBlue

John Motson.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Favourite Sports Commentator on 15:54 - Mar 14 with 1284 viewsgramps

Alan Green on Radio 5 - great knowledge, said it as he saw it, and not afraid to give his opinion. Made every match entertaining , however dull it was!

GRAMPS

Favourite Sports Commentator on 16:32 - Mar 14 with 1268 viewsjontysnut

Favourite Sports Commentator on 15:54 - Mar 14 by gramps

Alan Green on Radio 5 - great knowledge, said it as he saw it, and not afraid to give his opinion. Made every match entertaining , however dull it was!

And boy would he let you know that he thought it was a dull match.
Favourite Sports Commentator on 16:39 - Mar 14 with 1264 viewsronnyd

Boulting and Millar on ITV4 cycling coverage are quite knowledgeable.
Favourite Sports Commentator on 16:43 - Mar 14 with 1262 viewsRyorry

Favourite Sports Commentator on 15:54 - Mar 14 by gramps

Can't stand him, or Clive Tyldsley (sp?) - but hey, each to their own!

Have to add this man to my list for his "Reuser - Premiership" - prob my fav 2 words of commentary ever -

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Favourite Sports Commentator on 16:46 - Mar 14 with 1258 viewsMedwayTractor

Favourite Sports Commentator on 10:48 - Mar 14 by Radlett_blue

I thought Motson was execrable - over excited, often didn't know what had happened, loved quoting irrelevant statistics & shoe-horned in his rehearsed corny one liners.
Johnson, McEnroe & Shriver were all excellent summarisers, but the grand daddy of them all in tennis is Frew McMillan. Aged 78, regularly used by Eurosport & still sharp as a tack. Never says too much, but always on point, relevant & often something the casual viewer won't have noticed.

Agreed on Motson, one of the worst verbal diarrhea commentators.

Also, I'll never forgive his MotD commentary in 1993 when we beat Manure at home at he went on and on about them as potential champions (they hadn't won anything for some years), nothing about the possibility that we could repeat what we did in 61/61. Motson went to school in Burt St Edmunds and followed Town then.

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

Favourite Sports Commentator on 16:51 - Mar 14 with 1255 viewsfarkenhell

Favourite Sports Commentator on 10:07 - Mar 14 by WeWereZombies

John Motson, without a doubt, not least because I have seen him on his way to the upper reaches of the Britannia stand.

I have no interest in horse racing but on the few occasions I saw Brough Scott making his direct to camera and unadorned commentary he was serving the sport and the viewers better than other commentators I noticed.

I think a special mention should be made for the BBC's knack of finding someone who is more than a pundit but not quite a commentator, but who often sits next to the commentator. I am thinking of John McEnroe and Pam Shriver in tennis and Michael Johnson in athletics particularly.

Good shout for McEnroe. Disliked him when he was playing (melodramatic turd) but completely changed my mind as a co-commentator. Incredibly insightful, pitches in at the right moments and, above all, not afraid to speak his mind.
Favourite Sports Commentator on 16:54 - Mar 14 with 1253 viewsMedwayTractor

Favourite Sports Commentator on 10:37 - Mar 14 by BlueForYou

Cricket - Jonathan Agnew
Football - Motters
Rugby Union - Myles Harrison
Athletics - David Coleman
NFL - Chris Collingsworth
Cycling - David Harmon
Golf - Andrew Coltart
F1 - Murray Walker
Anchor man/All rounder - Jim Nantz

Down voted you for Miles Harrison, he's awful, can't stop taking about all sorts of irrelevant stuff and has an awful wining nasal voice. He should remember Richie Benaud's Golden Rule: When you've got nothing to say, say nothing. One of the worst of today's commentators, particularly as he's on so much.

But then at the bottom of the barrel we find Martin Gillingham. Whoever told him he could be a sports commentator?

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

Favourite Sports Commentator on 16:54 - Mar 14 with 1252 viewsVic

John Arlott
Peter Alliss
Richie Benau

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Favourite Sports Commentator on 16:55 - Mar 14 with 1251 viewsfarkenhell

Favourite Sports Commentator on 11:13 - Mar 14 by You_Bloo_Right

Not my favourite sports commentator by any means but as Barry Davies, John Arlott, Richie Benaud and Harry Carpenter have all had a mention I give you Sid Waddell.

"When Alexander of Macedonia was 33, he cried salt tears because there were
no more worlds to conquer..... Bristow's only 27."

"If we'd had Phil Taylor at Hastings against the Normans, they'd have gone
home."

"The atmosphere is a cross between the Munich Beer Festival and the
Coliseum when the Christians were on the menu."

add to that:

"the latest comeback since Lazarus rose from the dead!" (can't remember who he was talking about)

and

"Jocky Wilson, warra n'athlete..."
Favourite Sports Commentator on 17:00 - Mar 14 with 1243 viewsNthQldITFC

Favourite Sports Commentator on 10:22 - Mar 14 by Guthrum

I enjoyed Mitchell Johnson when they had him summarising, came across very well.

Yes, I enjoyed his commentary too. The only problem I had was that one minute it would be coming out of my left hand speaker, the next it be the right, that Mitchell Johnson; his commentary sounded not quite right.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Favourite Sports Commentator on 17:01 - Mar 14 with 1241 viewsfarkenhell

Favourite Sports Commentator on 11:44 - Mar 14 by Churchman

...and the theme tune. Simply brilliant. Especially for midweek European games.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024