Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What was said by Butcher, Holt and Dixon last night was spot on 08:20 - Dec 16 with 3607 viewsChrisd

Unfortunately, some might not like hearing it, but it’s true. We are a club that lives in the past based on achievements in the 70s/80s. The fact that Butcher is calling it exactly how it is should highlight where we are currently. Normally, our great players hold their counsel, but it’s about time someone of Butcher’s standing stepped out and called it for what it is. Even Holt calls it right. Dixon was pretty scathing throughout the match commentary, but I found I was agreeing with everything he was saying about us.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

What was said by Butcher, Holt and Dixon last night was spot on on 08:41 - Dec 16 with 2651 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I don't think we do live in the past.

20 years of sh1te makes us realise where we are, and where we have been for a long time.

And most of us didn't witness the glory years of the 70s and 80s, so I think it's nonsense.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

What was said by Butcher, Holt and Dixon last night was spot on on 08:47 - Dec 16 with 2567 viewsHealysBackPocket

What was said by Butcher, Holt and Dixon last night was spot on on 08:41 - Dec 16 by Marshalls_Mullet

20 years of sh1te makes us realise where we are, and where we have been for a long time.

And most of us didn't witness the glory years of the 70s and 80s, so I think it's nonsense.

If we realised where we were, people wouldn’t seriously be suggesting a manager who was managing in the Champions League less than 18 months ago and has turned down premier league teams recently to come and take over here

Whether we want to admit it or not, we have a not insignificant section of the fanbase who think we are big time still
What was said by Butcher, Holt and Dixon last night was spot on on 08:50 - Dec 16 with 2509 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

What was said by Butcher, Holt and Dixon last night was spot on on 08:47 - Dec 16 by HealysBackPocket

If we realised where we were, people wouldn’t seriously be suggesting a manager who was managing in the Champions League less than 18 months ago and has turned down premier league teams recently to come and take over here

Whether we want to admit it or not, we have a not insignificant section of the fanbase who think we are big time still

But you're basing your view on the tiny minority of people who thought Frank might come here.

The overwhelming view was "don't be daft, why would he join us!" .

The vast majority of fans realise what a hole we are in, and have been for some time.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

What was said by Butcher, Holt and Dixon last night was spot on on 08:51 - Dec 16 with 2493 viewsDanTheMan

What was said by Butcher, Holt and Dixon last night was spot on on 08:47 - Dec 16 by HealysBackPocket

I thought people had lost their minds suggesting Lampard. Absolutely mental.

Same with people seriously suggesting Howe not long back.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

What was said by Butcher, Holt and Dixon last night was spot on on 08:52 - Dec 16 with 2470 viewsthebooks

I dunno, the past is important. Bobby Robson, UEFA Cup and the Dutch players are part of our identity. Without that, we wouldn’t have as big a fanbase as we do, or the general goodwill I feel we still have.

We were utterly shíte last night, of course.
What was said by Butcher, Holt and Dixon last night was spot on on 08:55 - Dec 16 with 2426 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

What was said by Butcher, Holt and Dixon last night was spot on on 08:52 - Dec 16 by thebooks

I dunno, the past is important. Bobby Robson, UEFA Cup and the Dutch players are part of our identity. Without that, we wouldn’t have as big a fanbase as we do, or the general goodwill I feel we still have.

We were utterly shíte last night, of course.

Most of the goodwill is forgotten.

I grew up away from Ipswich. In the 90's when I told parents of my friends who I supported their eyes would light up and they would mention Sir Bobby and the big name players.

When I tell people who I support now, there is pretty much zero reaction.

What was said by Butcher, Holt and Dixon last night was spot on on 08:55 - Dec 16 with 2426 viewsBseaBlue

We might not be a big club in terms of the footballing world, but people must be kidding themselves if they think we arent a big club in this division! We must have the biggest budget in the league in addition to being in the top three for our support base! We are a powerhouse in this division but we certainly aren't performing that way.

I think when you take the above into account, it is more than acceptable that people were expecting us to be pushing for the automatic slots, not sat in mid table!
What was said by Butcher, Holt and Dixon last night was spot on on 08:59 - Dec 16 with 2352 viewsElephantintheRoom

Butcher referred to upcoming games against Wycombe, Lincoln and Sunderland as 'big games' which rather amusingly confirms Town as small beer floundering in the third division.

Sadly the reality is even worse than what is slowly seeping into Butcher's head.... by seling out to three cowboys with borrowed money in their saddlebags, effectively now owned and managed by a fund manager in Ohio, Town have jumped from the frying pan of Evans ownership to become a frying pan of a franchise that has to make money for the franchise owner - with a long line of hangars on also keen to pick clean the rotting carcass.

Some (or even most) 'supporters' are blind to the reality that Ipswich Town are now Ipswich Town in name only.

The influx of players who have only been here 4 months, the freeloaders in the board room who have also only just arrived, none of whom care one iota for anything apart from money - Ipswich could now be located somewhere like Barrow and have just as little connection to Ipswich as the sham unravelling at Portman Road.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Login to get fewer ads

What was said by Butcher, Holt and Dixon last night was spot on on 09:01 - Dec 16 with 2333 viewstextbackup

What was said by Butcher, Holt and Dixon last night was spot on on 08:41 - Dec 16 by Marshalls_Mullet

You and I might realise we are a nothing club, but thousands of others hang on the fact their dad saw an fa cup win.

We are a joke of a club

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

What was said by Butcher, Holt and Dixon last night was spot on on 09:03 - Dec 16 with 2300 viewstextbackup

What was said by Butcher, Holt and Dixon last night was spot on on 08:55 - Dec 16 by BseaBlue

We might not be a big club in terms of the footballing world, but people must be kidding themselves if they think we arent a big club in this division! We must have the biggest budget in the league in addition to being in the top three for our support base! We are a powerhouse in this division but we certainly aren't performing that way.

I think when you take the above into account, it is more than acceptable that people were expecting us to be pushing for the automatic slots, not sat in mid table!

We’ve finished mid table twice, and on course for a third time.

We are a mid table league 1 club. Nothing more nothing less

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

What was said by Butcher, Holt and Dixon last night was spot on on 09:04 - Dec 16 with 2257 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

What was said by Butcher, Holt and Dixon last night was spot on on 08:59 - Dec 16 by ElephantintheRoom

Butcher referred to upcoming games against Wycombe, Lincoln and Sunderland as 'big games' which rather amusingly confirms Town as small beer floundering in the third division.

Sadly the reality is even worse than what is slowly seeping into Butcher's head.... by seling out to three cowboys with borrowed money in their saddlebags, effectively now owned and managed by a fund manager in Ohio, Town have jumped from the frying pan of Evans ownership to become a frying pan of a franchise that has to make money for the franchise owner - with a long line of hangars on also keen to pick clean the rotting carcass.

Some (or even most) 'supporters' are blind to the reality that Ipswich Town are now Ipswich Town in name only.

The influx of players who have only been here 4 months, the freeloaders in the board room who have also only just arrived, none of whom care one iota for anything apart from money - Ipswich could now be located somewhere like Barrow and have just as little connection to Ipswich as the sham unravelling at Portman Road.

You've just described modern football.

Foreign owned and players with little connection to a club is the norm now. Unfortunately.

What was said by Butcher, Holt and Dixon last night was spot on on 09:06 - Dec 16 with 2230 viewsBseaBlue

What was said by Butcher, Holt and Dixon last night was spot on on 09:03 - Dec 16 by textbackup

I agree with you with regards to people's expectations because of the past and for as long as I have been a supporter, there has always been an element of that i.e 'The Ipswich way' and people thinking we have an entitlement to be in the premier league.

But at this moment in time, I don't think you can argue that we shouldnt be in this division (on the basis of our budget and support). We are suffering from two managers that have failed massively, but that shouldnt form the basis of our expectations.
What was said by Butcher, Holt and Dixon last night was spot on on 09:10 - Dec 16 with 2183 viewsMattinLondon

Until the last few seasons you could argue that Liverpool lived in the past as do Leeds, Sheff Weds, Forrest - harking back isn’t simply limited to Ipswich.

Think most Town fans know where we are at the moment. Your assessment as well as Butchers, Dixon and Holt is t exactly anything new itself.
What was said by Butcher, Holt and Dixon last night was spot on on 09:11 - Dec 16 with 2175 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

I have been saying this for years.

The way that we keep on banging on about the Cup victory's is embarrassing. Yes it was great, and yes we are thankful for those memories but we need to move on and leave it behind.
What was said by Butcher, Holt and Dixon last night was spot on on 09:11 - Dec 16 with 2154 viewsthebooks

What was said by Butcher, Holt and Dixon last night was spot on on 09:06 - Dec 16 by BseaBlue

I agree with you with regards to people's expectations because of the past and for as long as I have been a supporter, there has always been an element of that i.e 'The Ipswich way' and people thinking we have an entitlement to be in the premier league.

But at this moment in time, I don't think you can argue that we shouldnt be in this division (on the basis of our budget and support). We are suffering from two managers that have failed massively, but that shouldnt form the basis of our expectations.

Yes, this is about expectations, not simply realising we are where we deserve to be.

If we just accept that 1980 was back whenever and has no meaning, we might as well just be MK Dons and happy with mid-table L1.

We’re where we are because the club has been utterly mismanged for years and years, not because of unrealistic fan expectations.
What was said by Butcher, Holt and Dixon last night was spot on on 09:15 - Dec 16 with 2116 viewsArnieM

Well what else has this fan base had for comfort apart from the past ? What’s happened to this club since our administration is shambolic . It’s a wonder the fans have stuck around tbh.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

What was said by Butcher, Holt and Dixon last night was spot on on 09:16 - Dec 16 with 2109 viewsportmanking

We absolutely do live in the past. Well, some of us do anyway.

There has long been an air of self-entitlement among our fanbase. That we have a divine right to have a higher standing than whichever level we play at. Until some people get real and accept that it's going to take time, patience, a strategy that's allowed to breathe, this club is going nowhere.

The demands placed upon the club by some sections of the fanbase are just simply unrealistic. One of the only analogies that Ashton's said that I agree with is that turning around Ipswich Town is like turning around the Titanic. There is no overnight fix. Just like there was no overnight fix when Burley turned us around in five years.

Stop viewing League One as below our station, because that's where we've been for the last three years.
What was said by Butcher, Holt and Dixon last night was spot on on 09:39 - Dec 16 with 1980 viewsitfcjoe

We've got 28k coming Saturday, we are one of the biggest fanbases outside the top flight by a long way.

None of that means we have a right to go up, but it means that if the club is run to even 75% of it's potential it will walk a league like this.

We have everything there to kick on, but that doesn't mean it will just happen.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

What was said by Butcher, Holt and Dixon last night was spot on on 09:43 - Dec 16 with 1938 viewsabracaDOBRA_

What was said by Butcher, Holt and Dixon last night was spot on on 09:03 - Dec 16 by textbackup

We are a mid table league 1 club in terms of our playing squad, but no way are we in terms of club size

I'm not saying we are massive, but we shouldn't be in this league, we are a big club, yes not the biggest but we are big. Even Grant Holt said that last night.

Not many clubs in the champ get 28k, let alone league 1
What was said by Butcher, Holt and Dixon last night was spot on on 09:47 - Dec 16 with 1901 viewsBlueNomad

What was said by Butcher, Holt and Dixon last night was spot on on 09:39 - Dec 16 by itfcjoe

We've got 28k coming Saturday, we are one of the biggest fanbases outside the top flight by a long way.

None of that means we have a right to go up, but it means that if the club is run to even 75% of it's potential it will walk a league like this.

What concerns me is that there are other "big" clubs in this division. Sunderland, Pompey, Bolton and Sheff Weds supporters could say the same thing and not all of us can realistically go up this season or next. Compound that with the possibility of other "big" clubs coming down, and smaller clubs on the rise coming up, we could be here for a long time. I really thought we might do it this year but that hope has turned to dust.
What was said by Butcher, Holt and Dixon last night was spot on on 09:51 - Dec 16 with 1866 viewsportmanking

What was said by Butcher, Holt and Dixon last night was spot on on 09:39 - Dec 16 by itfcjoe

Fan base means the square root of eff all on the pitch though.

Phrases like "walking a league like this" just don't help either. Who walks leagues these days unless you have parachute money?

For the club to run at its full potential, it needs a strategy/ethos that will take time to build. It won't be an overnight process (or three months).

Yes, the infrastructure is there to help us snowball, but without the right fundamentals we will forever tread water.
What was said by Butcher, Holt and Dixon last night was spot on on 10:01 - Dec 16 with 1776 viewsitfcjoe

What was said by Butcher, Holt and Dixon last night was spot on on 09:51 - Dec 16 by portmanking

Fan base means the square root of eff all on the pitch though.

Phrases like "walking a league like this" just don't help either. Who walks leagues these days unless you have parachute money?

For the club to run at its full potential, it needs a strategy/ethos that will take time to build. It won't be an overnight process (or three months).

Yes, the infrastructure is there to help us snowball, but without the right fundamentals we will forever tread water.

Well it does mean something on the pitch, it allowed us to have the pick of players in this league and stick them in blue shirts out there.

That doesn't make it work, but it gives a huge advantage

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

What was said by Butcher, Holt and Dixon last night was spot on on 10:06 - Dec 16 with 1728 viewsBseaBlue

What was said by Butcher, Holt and Dixon last night was spot on on 10:01 - Dec 16 by itfcjoe

Well it does mean something on the pitch, it allowed us to have the pick of players in this league and stick them in blue shirts out there.

The pick of the players in this league and over some of the clubs in the champ as well!
What was said by Butcher, Holt and Dixon last night was spot on on 10:08 - Dec 16 with 1706 viewsportmanking

What was said by Butcher, Holt and Dixon last night was spot on on 10:01 - Dec 16 by itfcjoe

Fan base gives us greater room for manoeuvre in the transfer market, certainly. But that still doesn't mean our recruitment is a guarantee to take the club forward - as a large number of the 19 signings have shown.

So much of what Cook used to say is spot on. It's about habits, repetition and standards. That doesn't just happen in 2-3 months. Whoever the next man may be, they need time.
What was said by Butcher, Holt and Dixon last night was spot on on 10:16 - Dec 16 with 1657 viewsOwainG1992

What was said by Butcher, Holt and Dixon last night was spot on on 09:01 - Dec 16 by textbackup

You and I might realise we are a nothing club, but thousands of others hang on the fact their dad saw an fa cup win.

We are a joke of a club

Hear hear.

The fact we won an fa cup and uefa cup means nothing to me as a 29 year old who's big memories of premier league were losing 2 0 at Leeds and Freddie Bobic getting a hat trick against us.

A few false dawns since but no proper joy.

I do hope this turns around but as it stands we are trudging along to mediocrity.

Poll: Apologies I'm bored. How many signings will we have by Plymouth at home.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024