Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? 16:30 - Jul 9 with 7943 viewsunbelievablue

Regardless of your political persuasion. Please show your working.

e.g. I am considering who might be the least threat to a Labour challenge at the next election, as well as "the lesser of all evils" scenario until then, but am as of yet undecided. Whereas you, a staunch Tory, might have a favourite for the opposite reason.

Go.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 12:40 - Jul 10 with 912 viewsZapers

Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 10:10 - Jul 10 by Darth_Koont

Cutting taxes, especially corporation tax, is madness.

The cost of living crisis is an extra hit on low and middle earners, but the greatest problem has always been the underlying wage stagnation, wealth being hoovered upwards and a lack of investment.

Tax breaks, small government funnelling billions to their cronies instead and only appealing to workers on populist issues and culture wars is positively Trumpian.

It never ceases to amaze me how people think increasing corporation tax will help. Companies will just move to a more favourable tax environment. It’s really that simple. Charge too much tax and you will lose what revenue you are currently receiving.

Everyone is competing for tax, not just the part of the world you live in.
Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 13:04 - Jul 10 with 876 viewsHARRY10

Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 12:40 - Jul 10 by Zapers

It never ceases to amaze me how people think increasing corporation tax will help. Companies will just move to a more favourable tax environment. It’s really that simple. Charge too much tax and you will lose what revenue you are currently receiving.

Everyone is competing for tax, not just the part of the world you live in.

One of the problems we have is voters all too willing to trot out what the 'betters' tell then, in spite of the evidence to the contrary

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1253236/combined-income-tax-rate-europe/

You would think that by those figures, with France and Germany 50% higher business would be flocking to the UK- whereas due to brexit it is actually slowly seeping away from the UK.
Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 14:47 - Jul 10 with 829 viewsZapers

Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 13:04 - Jul 10 by HARRY10

One of the problems we have is voters all too willing to trot out what the 'betters' tell then, in spite of the evidence to the contrary

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1253236/combined-income-tax-rate-europe/

You would think that by those figures, with France and Germany 50% higher business would be flocking to the UK- whereas due to brexit it is actually slowly seeping away from the UK.

I'm not really sure what that proves other than a survey of tax rates in certain countries. Maybe manufacturing giants like Mercedes are not flocking to the UK, I some how doubt that Google, Amazon, Facebook etc, are flocking to Germany.
Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 14:52 - Jul 10 with 818 viewsringwoodblue

I think it should not be any of the cabinet ministers that served during Boris’ premiership as they are all as culpable as he is in the shameless last 2 years.

Poll: How do you feel about the EADT digital subscription?

Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 15:01 - Jul 10 with 806 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 10:38 - Jul 10 by ElephantintheRoom

Not at all. It gives him clear differentiation from the others - and Johnson.

It’s also fairly obvious things are going to get much, much worse in the years ahead - remember he only has to appeal to 200,000 people with little connection to the real world. So having a bit of credibility when all the others are preaching the polar opposite to what they have been doing for the last 12 years, let alone 12 days is no bad thing I’d have thought.

Not that anyone can rule such a cabal of extremists sitting in safe seats.

You seem to miss that the 200,000 he needs to appeal to (is that all of them or a majority out of them?) are those with most self-interest in cutting taxes to make the rich richer whilst really caring very little if at all for the plight of the (lazy) poor. By the (lazy) poor I do, of course, include working people on salaries below £80K.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 15:05 - Jul 10 with 793 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 14:47 - Jul 10 by Zapers

I'm not really sure what that proves other than a survey of tax rates in certain countries. Maybe manufacturing giants like Mercedes are not flocking to the UK, I some how doubt that Google, Amazon, Facebook etc, are flocking to Germany.

If it is a race to the bottom on corporation tax in order to attract business, we are done for. Why has it become that? What about the way the UK is run makes us so desperate to attract business? The race to the bottom is competing with Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan and need to cut it to 5% or lower.

Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 16:39 - Jul 10 with 742 viewsLord_Lucan

Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 15:05 - Jul 10 by Nthsuffolkblue

If it is a race to the bottom on corporation tax in order to attract business, we are done for. Why has it become that? What about the way the UK is run makes us so desperate to attract business? The race to the bottom is competing with Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan and need to cut it to 5% or lower.

That’s extremely narrow minded if you don’t mind me saying and I genuinely mean no offence by that.

I presume you are not subject to corporation tax - and employers NI and pension contributions

Very many countries in Latin and South America plus Africa have high corporation taxes and I’m not sure those countries within are in a spectacular state.

Small businesses are the arteries of the country and they don’t need clamping.

Increase the minimum wage by all means but If you want to reap more tax payments then make it payable
[Post edited 10 Jul 2022 16:42]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 16:47 - Jul 10 with 728 viewsZapers

Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 15:05 - Jul 10 by Nthsuffolkblue

Countries are still recovering from the last financial crisis in 2009; and then along comes Covid. We then have Russia throwing it's weight around and inflating prices even more. We have massive debt as do most countries. We cannot afford to chase big corporations away, otherwise people will suffer even more financially.

It's my opinion that the worlds finances are like one huge Ponzi scheme. You wait until interest rates go up excessively, if they do. The whole leveraged market is likely to come crashing down.
Login to get fewer ads

Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 17:05 - Jul 10 with 712 viewssolomon

Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 16:52 - Jul 9 by BlueBadger

Hunt only seems 'competent enough' compared that current shower. He remains the second worst ever health secretary of my lifetime.

So, who would you say had been the best one in your lifetime and why? Generally interested in your opinion on this as you’re probably the best placed to judge.
Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 17:12 - Jul 10 with 701 viewsjaykay

Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 16:47 - Jul 10 by Zapers

Countries are still recovering from the last financial crisis in 2009; and then along comes Covid. We then have Russia throwing it's weight around and inflating prices even more. We have massive debt as do most countries. We cannot afford to chase big corporations away, otherwise people will suffer even more financially.

It's my opinion that the worlds finances are like one huge Ponzi scheme. You wait until interest rates go up excessively, if they do. The whole leveraged market is likely to come crashing down.

i think the old business will go elsewhere was trotted out when labour brought in the min wage.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 17:22 - Jul 10 with 682 viewsHARRY10

Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 16:39 - Jul 10 by Lord_Lucan

That’s extremely narrow minded if you don’t mind me saying and I genuinely mean no offence by that.

I presume you are not subject to corporation tax - and employers NI and pension contributions

Very many countries in Latin and South America plus Africa have high corporation taxes and I’m not sure those countries within are in a spectacular state.

Increase the minimum wage by all means but If you want to reap more tax payments then make it payable

Another urban myth as businesses are not chased away by higher levels of taxation, otherwise Scandinavian countries would be struggling, whereas their employees enjoy a far high standard of living than the UK.

Tax ultimately falls as a charge on business profits, which if you follow the US route you end up with an infrastructure that is creaking and not fit for purpose - as with their health (un) care system.

What we are seeing is merely a continuation of Johnsons lies where the idea is to pander to the ignorance of voters, rather than pit forward any reasoned plans.

Whatever is paid as corporation tax, NU contributions comes out of profits. What affects the ability to make those profits is crippling red tape, delay and costs in moving goods., in/out of the country.

It is no surprise that where those costs have not been applied (NI) business is growing, where as in the UK it is falling, and will continue to fall as companies move into EU.

And EU countries with a far higher corporation tax - which gives lie to that claim (above)
Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 17:22 - Jul 10 with 684 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 16:39 - Jul 10 by Lord_Lucan

It was in response to the suggestion we should be chasing the lowest corporation tax in the world.

The issue I have is that lower taxation (often of those most able to pay rather than those most struggling) leads to less funds in Government to spend.

You might see it as narrow-minded but the Tory policy of low taxation small state is extremely harmful to the most vulnerable in society. Of course, we would all love to pay lower taxes and for those companies that are not making large profits, higher taxes are likely to put pressure on prices. However, we need to look to invest in Government services instead of cutting everything to the bone.

My views are not based on whether I personally pay these taxes. They are based on what I think is for the best for the collective good and the most vulnerable in society. It might surprise you to know in which camp I fall personally.

Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 17:29 - Jul 10 with 653 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Taken from the Electoral Reform Society communication:

"If First Past the Post is a suitable system for important jobs, why don't they use it themselves to elect their new leader?"

And "Two aristocrats have just won the right to make laws for life with just 27 votes"

I do think the "make laws for life" is overstating it somewhat, though.

Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 17:37 - Jul 10 with 642 viewsGlasgowBlue

Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 17:29 - Jul 10 by Nthsuffolkblue

Taken from the Electoral Reform Society communication:

"If First Past the Post is a suitable system for important jobs, why don't they use it themselves to elect their new leader?"

And "Two aristocrats have just won the right to make laws for life with just 27 votes"

I do think the "make laws for life" is overstating it somewhat, though.

27 votes?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 17:43 - Jul 10 with 640 viewsDarth_Koont

Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 22:35 - Jul 9 by BlueBadger

He's racist, incompetent, went to nice schools and spent a lot of the last decade making excuses for dodgy regimes....

You do spout some utter nonsense.

It’s almost as if you don’t know what you’re talking about. 😀

Pronouns: He/Him

Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 18:42 - Jul 10 with 595 viewsLord_Lucan

Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 17:22 - Jul 10 by Nthsuffolkblue

It was in response to the suggestion we should be chasing the lowest corporation tax in the world.

The issue I have is that lower taxation (often of those most able to pay rather than those most struggling) leads to less funds in Government to spend.

You might see it as narrow-minded but the Tory policy of low taxation small state is extremely harmful to the most vulnerable in society. Of course, we would all love to pay lower taxes and for those companies that are not making large profits, higher taxes are likely to put pressure on prices. However, we need to look to invest in Government services instead of cutting everything to the bone.

My views are not based on whether I personally pay these taxes. They are based on what I think is for the best for the collective good and the most vulnerable in society. It might surprise you to know in which camp I fall personally.

I didn’t see any comments suggesting we chase the lowest corporation tax in the world and I don’t think we should be a tax haven. My point though is, if you raise corporation tax too high then larger companies will possibly not invest and almost definitely will avoid it.

If you keep it at a reasonable level then you have more chance of companies paying it. The big boys don’t employ extremely expensive tax advisors just for a laugh and the massive multi nationals don’t sit in Eire for the lucky heather.

Next year corporation tax is rising from 19% to anything from 19% to 25% depending on profit. I guarantee you that big corp plus the multiples will seek to avoid it, cut staff and raise prices.

What about the life and blood of the nation? Small companies, builders and the man in the corner shop? My company is a tin pot company but we employ people and pay them a fair wage. This year we moved to larger warehouses and we are opening a new small distribution and retail outlet in the midlands in September.

I’m 2023 we planned to expand the new midlands outlet (double it) and 2024 we planned to increase all that by 50%

However - why should I work like a bastard and get penalised for investment? I will either shelve the plans and consolidate or I’ll split the company into three - and others will do similar.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 19:53 - Jul 10 with 564 viewsSwansea_Blue

Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 11:39 - Jul 10 by Dubtractor

I've not got enough knowledge of the likely policies of the candidates, though some clearly appall me, Patel, braverman etc.

Shapps just went up in my estimation though.

Fair play to Shapps - he’s the only three who doesn’t want to engage the culture war on this (I can’t claim credit for the joke, saw it just now on Twitbook).

I knew Braverman was a poor Attorney General, but this is dangerous rhetoric. Stupid and dangerous - not a good look. Based on competency and track record, I can’t see her making the cut. But we all know Tory members love a bit of foreigner bashing, so this could play (a brexit embedded in xenophobia seems to be all they’ve got).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 20:16 - Jul 10 with 552 viewsXYZ

Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 17:37 - Jul 10 by GlasgowBlue

27 votes?

Hereditary peers voting in new colleagues in the House of Lords?

My guess.
Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 21:12 - Jul 10 with 526 viewsWeWereZombies

Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 12:21 - Jul 10 by GlasgowBlue

I quite like Penny Mordaunt’s video

Not much of a nod towards the NHS in that video.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 21:14 - Jul 10 with 523 viewspointofblue

Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 21:12 - Jul 10 by WeWereZombies

Not much of a nod towards the NHS in that video.

I did watch it earlier but pretty sure there was. Clip of a hospital when mentioning working as a team.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 21:17 - Jul 10 with 520 viewsWeWereZombies

Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 21:14 - Jul 10 by pointofblue

I did watch it earlier but pretty sure there was. Clip of a hospital when mentioning working as a team.

Exactly, a second or two, no logo or mention of any protection of access to a full range of healthcare to all citizens. But, as has been mentioned elsewhere on this thread, the candidates are seeking to appeal to Conservative Party members and not to the nation as a whole.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 21:38 - Jul 10 with 504 viewsDerryfromBury

Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 17:45 - Jul 9 by Icantbelieveyousaidt

A surprising comment, because having very close contacts with Bury Hospital, I can remember how impressed the staff were with his knowledge of the trust and his understanding of their issues and problems - most were indeed followed up.
I guess you believe the last decent one was Andy Burnham!!

The West Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust (WSFT) was delighted to host a visit from the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care last week (26 April), to discuss patient safety in the NHS.

During his visit to the West Suffolk Hospital, the Rt Hon Jeremy Hunt MP commended staff for their efforts in achieving the Trust’s latest ‘outstanding’ rating from the Care Quality Commission, and highlighted the “fantastic work” undertaken on their learning from deaths programme.

After hearing about tools from electronic dashboards to new equipment and apps that WSFT is using to improve patient safety, Mr Hunt spoke candidly to staff about his own experience and journey of patient safety in the NHS. Mr Hunt discussed the role of the Care Quality Commission, performance, patient satisfaction, and the importance of listening to and acting on patient experiences, before taking questions from staff in the room.

Mr Hunt said: “I want to thank staff at West Suffolk Hospital for welcoming me so warmly.

“I was hugely impressed by their commitment to improving patient safety - in particular the push to ensure technology to benefit patients is used right across the Trust, whether through innovative apps or electronic records.

“It was fantastic to see the work they’re doing on the learning from deaths programme - setting an example for the rest of the NHS to follow.

“Staff should be rightly proud of the outstanding rating from the CQC - and the rest of the NHS should take note of their commitment to improve beyond outstanding to ‘world-leading’. Keep up the excellent work.”

The Secretary of State also praised leaders and staff alike for securing the top spot in the recent NHS Staff Survey 2017, where WSFT came top in the country against comparable trusts for staff recommending the Trust as a place to work or receive care.

He was then shown a demonstration of the Trust’s new vital signs monitors by nurse and nursing informatics lead Ian Coe; these machines measure a patient’s blood pressure, temperature, oxygen saturation and pulse and all other required parameters to enable immediate calculation of Early Warning Scores (EWS), which help to identify acutely unwell patients early. By scanning a barcode on the patient’s wrist, these readings are then placed directly into the patient’s electronic care record, reducing the risk of human error and saving time from data having to be inputted manually.

Chief executive Dr Stephen Dunn said: “It was a pleasure to welcome the Secretary of State to our Trust in order to hear about patient safety from a national perspective.

“In the NHS we’re all passionate about patient safety — it’s the bread and butter of what we do and why we’re here, and it was a fantastic opportunity to highlight the work we’re undertaking to continuously improve.”

Hope you weren't expecting many up votes. Can't wait until the season starts so this forum
becomes less political and more football.
Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 21:49 - Jul 10 with 473 viewsjaykay

Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 21:38 - Jul 10 by DerryfromBury

Hope you weren't expecting many up votes. Can't wait until the season starts so this forum

haven't you learnt there is a button at top which lets you see only football threads
plus if you read the thread phil banned your mate early doors.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 22:09 - Jul 10 with 451 viewsLord_Lucan

Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 21:38 - Jul 10 by DerryfromBury

Are you new here?

Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 22:12 - Jul 10 with 913 viewsjeera

Who is your preferred next Tory leader (thus PM), and why? on 22:09 - Jul 10 by Lord_Lucan

Are you new here?

Seems so.

Still doesn't realise there are 3 tabs deliberately introduced so people can choose what content they want to view.

Even extras like ignore users, ignore threads...

The possibilities are endless. Well, not endless, but there to be employed.

Or there's dropping by for a bit of pointless sniping. Always an option.
[Post edited 10 Jul 2022 22:13]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024