Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McKenna's Central Striker Role 00:06 - Aug 30 with 2837 viewsSmithy

29 League Games 5 Goals

Bonne 9 Games Started & 1 Goal
Jackson 4/1
Pigott 5/0
Norwood 5/1 (+ 1 goal as sub)
Ladapo 5/0
John-Jules 1/1

doesn't seem a position that is going to generate a lot of goals, both Jackson and Norwood scored twice playing from the left (although you could argue, positions were inter changed throughout games)

Only Norwood has scored from the bench when coming on as a number 9 (Charlton)

37 years and counting!
Poll: We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most?

McKenna's Central Striker Role on 07:10 - Aug 30 with 2181 viewslurcher

Great observation, I think the position is worth 10-12 goals a season at most.
McKenna's Central Striker Role on 07:43 - Aug 30 with 2075 viewscressi

McKenna's Central Striker Role on 07:10 - Aug 30 by lurcher

Great observation, I think the position is worth 10-12 goals a season at most.

But then just maybe
All of the mentioned players just are not of the quality required
Or some of them never got to play a few games on the trot.
Personally a real number 9
Will find ways to score.
Even Man City will be better with a real number 9 not all this false 9 bol*ocks
McKenna's Central Striker Role on 07:47 - Aug 30 with 2054 viewshomer_123

Sheff Weds favourites for Mighten after bids from us and Hearts by homer_123 28 Aug 2022 13:01
The way KM has us playing means we don't need to rely on a 20 goal a season out and out striker (which by the way are extremely hard to come by...especially in L1).

It's clear that the 9, along with the wing backs are designed to create space for our 10s. The work the 9 is asked to do is significant...closing down, working the defence and line as part of the wider forward line. For me...the system doesn't need an out and out 9.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

McKenna's Central Striker Role on 07:50 - Aug 30 with 2021 viewshomer_123

McKenna's Central Striker Role on 07:43 - Aug 30 by cressi

But then just maybe
Will find ways to score.

I think you under value the way KM has us set up to play.

The point is you don't 'need' a number 9 in the traditional mold of an out and out goal scorer. The system creates chances, opportunities and goals from a variety of positions.

The advantage of this is that it is generally more difficult for the opposition to stop so many different avenues from scoring. If you are reliant on a 9 to grab the majority of your goals, the opposition can focus their attention at stopping the 9 or the supply to the 9 and your stymied.

We now have an approach and a system that offers goals from the wing backs, the two 10's and the central midfield, as well as the 9.

As I say, this means you have goals from a multiple positions - much more difficult for the opposition to stop you scoring.

McKenna's Central Striker Role on 08:12 - Aug 30 with 1904 viewsPioneerBlue

Interesting numbers. It’s already covered that 9 in our system has been doing work to occupy defenders allowing 10s to play. That low return from 9 ‘could’ be to do with the striker we are asking to play 9 or the way the role is used.

Interesting that Bonne managed to score goals in the 4231 role but not so many in the 3421.

How many goals have come from our 10s in this timeframe?

We are finding ways to score goals but it’s not as free scoring as some other teams, we go for control of the ball, keeping it away from our goal, reducing opposition attempts at our goal. That in itself, not being as free scoring could be the stage of our development, we’ve started well and are scoring goals to win games, perhaps more goals will follow.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

McKenna's Central Striker Role on 08:19 - Aug 30 with 1857 viewsWickets

Think KM said something along the lines of it does not matter who scores the goals as long as we score them !
McKenna's Central Striker Role on 08:26 - Aug 30 with 1803 viewsGuthrum

McKenna's Central Striker Role on 07:43 - Aug 30 by cressi

But then just maybe
Will find ways to score.

That's quite a number of players to all just not be working out.

Utilising the Inside Forwards gives you two goalscorers up top, rather than just the one Centre Forward. The CF can still bag the odd, opportunistic goal, as JJ did at Shrewsbury, but does not carry the main burden - and is not such a crucial loss if injured or out of form. Or such a big investment to get one good enough.

From reading Mariner's book, it seems Robson's team shared around the workload and the goals, rather than having one man as point.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

McKenna's Central Striker Role on 08:31 - Aug 30 with 1785 viewsGuthrum

McKenna's Central Striker Role on 07:50 - Aug 30 by homer_123

The point is you don't 'need' a number 9 in the traditional mold of an out and out goal scorer. The system creates chances, opportunities and goals from a variety of positions.

The advantage of this is that it is generally more difficult for the opposition to stop so many different avenues from scoring. If you are reliant on a 9 to grab the majority of your goals, the opposition can focus their attention at stopping the 9 or the supply to the 9 and your stymied.

We now have an approach and a system that offers goals from the wing backs, the two 10's and the central midfield, as well as the 9.

As I say, this means you have goals from a multiple positions - much more difficult for the opposition to stop you scoring.

One of the biggest problems we've had in recent years has been isolated strikers either unable to get the ball or having to drop too deep to do so.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

McKenna's Central Striker Role on 08:52 - Aug 30 with 1669 viewshomer_123

McKenna's Central Striker Role on 08:31 - Aug 30 by Guthrum

One of the biggest problems we've had in recent years has been isolated strikers either unable to get the ball or having to drop too deep to do so.

Which doesn't seem to be the case with KMs approach.

The 9 is typically supported through the two 10s and at least one of the wingbacks.

McKenna's Central Striker Role on 08:57 - Aug 30 with 1665 viewsitfcjoe

There has been a bigger difference this year if you look at the underlying numbers - Ladapo has the highest xG in the squad and is having basically the most shots per game in the division when I last looked.

Last year the strikers weren't really getting chances so the system has been tweaked slightly to allow for that - just Ladapo hasn't found the net. Had he scored a couple of the very presentable chances he has had and you'd expect him to then it looks very different

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

McKenna's Central Striker Role on 09:02 - Aug 30 with 1612 viewsMetal_Hacker

McKenna's Central Striker Role on 08:57 - Aug 30 by itfcjoe

There has been a bigger difference this year if you look at the underlying numbers - Ladapo has the highest xG in the squad and is having basically the most shots per game in the division when I last looked.

Last year the strikers weren't really getting chances so the system has been tweaked slightly to allow for that - just Ladapo hasn't found the net. Had he scored a couple of the very presentable chances he has had and you'd expect him to then it looks very different

I keep saying it once he bags his first they'll flow from there

Little worryingly I did start to see his head go down a little Saturday but again , one goal and it'll happen for him I'm sure

Poll: If it were one or the other

McKenna's Central Striker Role on 09:05 - Aug 30 with 1603 viewsunstableblue

McKenna's Central Striker Role on 09:02 - Aug 30 by Metal_Hacker

I keep saying it once he bags his first they'll flow from there

Little worryingly I did start to see his head go down a little Saturday but again , one goal and it'll happen for him I'm sure

Would you play him tonight?

Get him off the mark in a lower pressure, lower quality opposition game?

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

McKenna's Central Striker Role on 09:07 - Aug 30 with 1573 viewsMetal_Hacker

McKenna's Central Striker Role on 09:05 - Aug 30 by unstableblue

Would you play him tonight?

Get him off the mark in a lower pressure, lower quality opposition game?

Absolutely I would - swap at half time for JJ

McKenna's Central Striker Role on 09:37 - Aug 30 with 1461 viewsCityBlue

THIS is why we do not need any more strikers. The system id developed around a double pivot, flooding the midfield and stretching wing backs. It creates a fast counter attack, strong and sometimes painfully slow build up and plenty of defensive cover. The result is a consistent results forecast - mostly 2-0 and 1-0 with the occasional larger score if the opposing team try to come at us.
Popular style of play on the continent.

I T I D

McKenna's Central Striker Role on 10:48 - Aug 30 with 1309 viewscressi

McKenna's Central Striker Role on 07:50 - Aug 30 by homer_123

Most premier league sides play a similar system
But funny when Haaland
Probably scores 25
Kane gets 20 + every year
12 goals from your striker helps you get mediocrity.
McKenna's Central Striker Role on 10:50 - Aug 30 with 1289 viewsMetal_Hacker

McKenna's Central Striker Role on 10:48 - Aug 30 by cressi

But funny when Haaland
Probably scores 25

I tend to agree but for the most Spurs play a different system not relying so much on midfielders/ 10's scoring and likewise City to a degree this season too
[Post edited 30 Aug 2022 10:51]

McKenna's Central Striker Role on 10:50 - Aug 30 with 1287 viewsFrimleyBlue

But funny when Haaland
Probably scores 25

Prem rich clubs get world class players

We are league 1

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

McKenna's Central Striker Role on 10:52 - Aug 30 with 1272 viewscressi

McKenna's Central Striker Role on 08:26 - Aug 30 by Guthrum

That's quite a number of players to all just not be working out.

Utilising the Inside Forwards gives you two goalscorers up top, rather than just the one Centre Forward. The CF can still bag the odd, opportunistic goal, as JJ did at Shrewsbury, but does not carry the main burden - and is not such a crucial loss if injured or out of form. Or such a big investment to get one good enough.

From reading Mariner's book, it seems Robson's team shared around the workload and the goals, rather than having one man as point.

There's no John Wark in our midfield scored more than all of them together almost
McKenna's Central Striker Role on 10:57 - Aug 30 with 1236 viewsNthQldITFC

But funny when Haaland
Probably scores 25

That doesn't rhyme.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

McKenna's Central Striker Role on 11:02 - Aug 30 with 1216 viewsNthQldITFC

McKenna's Central Striker Role on 08:57 - Aug 30 by itfcjoe

Ladapo is also probably painfully aware of the line of number 9s before him who have struggled to score, and no doubt that plays on his mind as well.

I'm halfway house on this one; totally agree that our 9 makes space for a number of other players, but at the same time would like to see a slightly higher return from our 9, whomsoever that may be over the course of the season. I'm not in the 'must score 20 a season camp' though. He ought, perhaps, to be picking up a few rebounds if nothing else.

It strikes me that our 9 needs to have a robust psychology to deal with the expectations and perhaps slight lack of understanding of some fans, whilst at same time being extremely fit, and a bit of a poacher!
[Post edited 30 Aug 2022 11:07]

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

McKenna's Central Striker Role on 11:02 - Aug 30 with 1212 viewsLightningboy

A central "striker" in a team which dominates play,creates a decent amount of chances and will probably be pushing for a top 2 spot at league 1 level should be getting around 20 goals a season..whether that's at Ipswich or any other club in this division.

The list of players in the original post are/were not up to doing that.

We still need that final piece of the jigsaw.
McKenna's Central Striker Role on 12:29 - Aug 30 with 1019 viewsDMDC

May as well play a centre half up front if that's the case.
McKenna's Central Striker Role on 12:44 - Aug 30 with 959 viewsJ2BLUE

McKenna's Central Striker Role on 12:29 - Aug 30 by DMDC

May as well play a centre half up front if that's the case.

If a centre half had the qualities McKenna keeps talking about and wants for that position then we probably would. As long as we keep getting results it still wouldn't matter.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

McKenna's Central Striker Role on 12:50 - Aug 30 with 917 viewsJ2BLUE

McKenna's Central Striker Role on 11:02 - Aug 30 by Lightningboy

A central "striker" in a team which dominates play,creates a decent amount of chances and will probably be pushing for a top 2 spot at league 1 level should be getting around 20 goals a season..whether that's at Ipswich or any other club in this division.

The list of players in the original post are/were not up to doing that.

We still need that final piece of the jigsaw.

Are you really willing to say Ladapo can't do it? Look at Joe's post. Once Ladapo gets one he's quite capable of hitting 20 in 40 games.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

McKenna's Central Striker Role on 13:11 - Aug 30 with 853 viewsclive_baker

McKenna's Central Striker Role on 12:50 - Aug 30 by J2BLUE

Are you really willing to say Ladapo can't do it? Look at Joe's post. Once Ladapo gets one he's quite capable of hitting 20 in 40 games.

I think there's 2 ways of looking at that, either he's doing well to be getting in the right areas, or he's at fault for squandering his chances. Bit of both for me, and it's early days but we do need him to be contributing goals before too long. He's done it before, he's certainly capable. Need to start seeing it.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024