Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Politicising the monarchy 17:48 - Sep 11 with 1759 viewsXYZ

I hadn't heard this - Truss is touring the country with Chas.

As Richard Murphy sets out - this is a big mistake by both of them.

Politicising the monarchy on 18:11 - Sep 11 with 1672 viewsEastTownBlue

Not quite...

Politicising the monarchy on 19:48 - Sep 11 with 1559 viewsXYZ

Politicising the monarchy on 18:11 - Sep 11 by EastTownBlue

Not quite...

Her first U-turn.
Politicising the monarchy on 20:10 - Sep 11 with 1519 viewsStuartBrett8

Do we think our new Monarch will get involved in politics? Overturning parliament in his first month in charge would be hilarious.

Stop the world, I want to get off
Poll: What should we do with Frank Nouble?

Politicising the monarchy on 20:18 - Sep 11 with 1499 viewsbluelagos

Politicising the monarchy on 20:10 - Sep 11 by StuartBrett8

Do we think our new Monarch will get involved in politics? Overturning parliament in his first month in charge would be hilarious.

No chance. Charles knows full well his getting involved in politics would boost the republican arguments for getting rid. He is not stupid.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Politicising the monarchy on 20:36 - Sep 11 with 1451 viewsChurchman

Politicising the monarchy on 20:10 - Sep 11 by StuartBrett8

Not a chance. A King lost his head to end all that. Even Victoria was careful with it 170 years ago, despite having her favourites.

I suspect Edward 8th might have done, being a thicko and a Nazi to boot, but the outcome is one he wouldn’t have liked. Any straying there ends the monarchy immediately.

Keeping an interest in what should be non party issues such as climate change is something he may do and I don’t see a problem with thiat.
Politicising the monarchy on 08:41 - Sep 12 with 1268 viewsGuthrum

Politicians trying to use the monarch as a prop is as old as Parliament itself.

As for the bulk of that thread, Murphy may not like the language and structures, but that is simply the way the nation functions. There is no facility for "electing" the monarch, even in a symbolic fashion. That is not what the Privy Council does in this situation. This idea of the Whitan electing Saxon kings is not an accurate reflection of what went on even back then.

We may have taken the functions of government (especially finances) away from the monarch, but feudalism has never been completely revoked. You don't get a choice over who is your liege and to whom you owe fealty. Just be glad it's direct to a symbolic king, not through a complicated chain of nobles and gentry. The impact in everyday life is limited to mild psychological irritation at worst (unless indulging in certain forms of treason).

There is a debate to be had on whether we wish to become a republic, but complaining because the existing system functions in a way which sets your teeth on edge is pointless.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Politicising the monarchy on 08:49 - Sep 12 with 1230 viewsRadlett_blue

Politicising the monarchy on 20:36 - Sep 11 by Churchman

Not a chance. A King lost his head to end all that. Even Victoria was careful with it 170 years ago, despite having her favourites.

I suspect Edward 8th might have done, being a thicko and a Nazi to boot, but the outcome is one he wouldn’t have liked. Any straying there ends the monarchy immediately.

Keeping an interest in what should be non party issues such as climate change is something he may do and I don’t see a problem with thiat.

Disagree that climate change is not a political issue. Like most big issues, doing something about it requires taking controversial political decisions so the monarch should keep his nose (and mouth) out of it. While Elizabeth sensibly kept out of politics for the most part (although she had a thinly disguised dislike of Mrs Thatcher) Charles has spent most of his life trying to influence things from behind the scenes & he would be well advised to desist now that he is King.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Politicising the monarchy on 08:52 - Sep 12 with 1220 viewsKeno

Politicising the monarchy on 08:41 - Sep 12 by Guthrum

Politicians trying to use the monarch as a prop is as old as Parliament itself.

As for the bulk of that thread, Murphy may not like the language and structures, but that is simply the way the nation functions. There is no facility for "electing" the monarch, even in a symbolic fashion. That is not what the Privy Council does in this situation. This idea of the Whitan electing Saxon kings is not an accurate reflection of what went on even back then.

We may have taken the functions of government (especially finances) away from the monarch, but feudalism has never been completely revoked. You don't get a choice over who is your liege and to whom you owe fealty. Just be glad it's direct to a symbolic king, not through a complicated chain of nobles and gentry. The impact in everyday life is limited to mild psychological irritation at worst (unless indulging in certain forms of treason).

There is a debate to be had on whether we wish to become a republic, but complaining because the existing system functions in a way which sets your teeth on edge is pointless.

Just image a dat where we had to swear allegiance and be under the thrall of a liege Lord like Hoppy or J2 who in turn owed their allegiance to Barron Ham of Kesgrave

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Login to get fewer ads

Politicising the monarchy on 10:56 - Sep 12 with 1144 viewsoldburian

Something Tony Blair never did.
Politicising the monarchy on 11:48 - Sep 12 with 1089 viewsXYZ

Politicising the monarchy on 19:48 - Sep 11 by XYZ

Her first U-turn.

Screeching handbrakes ...

Politicising the monarchy on 11:59 - Sep 12 with 1068 viewsChurchman

Politicising the monarchy on 08:49 - Sep 12 by Radlett_blue

Disagree that climate change is not a political issue. Like most big issues, doing something about it requires taking controversial political decisions so the monarch should keep his nose (and mouth) out of it. While Elizabeth sensibly kept out of politics for the most part (although she had a thinly disguised dislike of Mrs Thatcher) Charles has spent most of his life trying to influence things from behind the scenes & he would be well advised to desist now that he is King.

It depends what he was to do and how, but yes it’s dangerous territory.
Politicising the monarchy on 12:01 - Sep 12 with 1056 viewsDanTheMan

Politicising the monarchy on 11:48 - Sep 12 by XYZ

Screeching handbrakes ...

I think the original language probably describes it better than that incredibly roundabout explanation which means the same thing.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Politicising the monarchy on 12:08 - Sep 12 with 1039 viewsSwansea_Blue

Truss thinking how she can benefit from the good will being shown to the monarchy, by association. Being close to them but not actually involved. Or the Sitters Effect, as it's known on here!

She does seems to be carrying on the self promotion ahead of meaningful contribution that we associated with BJ. We thought she'd be the continuity candidate didn't we, so no great surprise. (Although plans on energy costs were timely and welcomed, credit where it's due and all that).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Politicising the monarchy on 12:21 - Sep 12 with 1009 viewsGlasgowBlue

Politicising the monarchy on 19:48 - Sep 11 by XYZ

Her first U-turn.

Surely her first UTurn was regional pay boards? Her second was the energy cap.

So this will be the third.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Politicising the monarchy on 12:50 - Sep 12 with 944 viewsSwansea_Blue

Politicising the monarchy on 12:21 - Sep 12 by GlasgowBlue

What was her initial proposal on the energy cap? I couldn't bring myself to follow the leadership rounds/hustings, so presumably it was something she mentioned during the campaign?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Politicising the monarchy on 12:53 - Sep 12 with 935 viewsXYZ

Thanks for the fact check. I'm sure you track these things more closely than the rest of us.

I suspect she'll keep you busy.
Politicising the monarchy on 12:57 - Sep 12 with 923 viewsKeno

For a minute I thought that the title of the new Indianna Jones film

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Politicising the monarchy on 13:50 - Sep 12 with 865 viewsOldsmoker

Politicising the monarchy on 18:11 - Sep 11 by EastTownBlue

Not quite...

Just leaving England and going to Wales, Scotland and NI then.
Could someone tell me what is meant by 'the nation' because I thought that just about covered all of it.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Politicising the monarchy on 14:36 - Sep 12 with 800 viewsbluelagos

Presume we not counting her views on Brexit and the Monarchy?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024