Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Its started 06:14 - Sep 12 with 4150 viewsBlueNomad

Every bigger job we’ll see this

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/manchester-
Its started on 06:48 - Sep 12 with 3379 viewsOwainG1992

This sort of article seems like they're trying to fill paper space.
That being said he will be linked to more and more jobs.
We need to get promoted this year.

Poll: Apologies I'm bored. How many signings will we have by Plymouth at home.

Its started on 06:56 - Sep 12 with 3348 viewsSitfcB

There’s been no links.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Its started on 06:59 - Sep 12 with 3345 viewshoppy

Its started on 06:48 - Sep 12 by OwainG1992

This sort of article seems like they're trying to fill paper space.
That being said he will be linked to more and more jobs.
We need to get promoted this year.

Especially this paragraph…

“McKenna left his role as first-team coach at Manchester United after Ralf Rangnick was hired to take over from the sacked Ole Gunnar Solskjaer for the rest of last season. The Northern Irishman wasn't out of work for long as League One side Ipswich quickly moved to make him their new manager”

That makes it sound like he’d left United and twiddling his thumbs out of work and then we came along, whereas he actually left his position there TO join us.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Its started on 07:16 - Sep 12 with 3252 viewsDarth_Koont

Yep.

A move to a lower Prem side would set him and his family up for life so some jobs may be very difficult to turn down if offered. it would certainly be a test of his confidence in himself and his own abilities to work his way up to that level the hard way by getting a team promoted twice and then decently established like Brighton is right now.

I also think that working with better players is very tempting for any ambitious coach. But maybe he feels there’s an apprenticeship to serve first re: all the off field stuff.

Taking a step back, the main thing we need is for the blueprint to be established and maybe a McKenna Mk II can pick up the reins. So, I’ll be much more relaxed if we can have a successful promotion season first.

Pronouns: He/Him

Its started on 07:47 - Sep 12 with 3049 viewsWeWereZombies

Its started on 06:59 - Sep 12 by hoppy

Especially this paragraph…

“McKenna left his role as first-team coach at Manchester United after Ralf Rangnick was hired to take over from the sacked Ole Gunnar Solskjaer for the rest of last season. The Northern Irishman wasn't out of work for long as League One side Ipswich quickly moved to make him their new manager”

That makes it sound like he’d left United and twiddling his thumbs out of work and then we came along, whereas he actually left his position there TO join us.

Quite.

Although I have been wondering whether Brighton would be a good place for Solskjær to get back into management.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Its started on 09:03 - Sep 12 with 2772 viewshype313

Its started on 07:16 - Sep 12 by Darth_Koont

Yep.

A move to a lower Prem side would set him and his family up for life so some jobs may be very difficult to turn down if offered. it would certainly be a test of his confidence in himself and his own abilities to work his way up to that level the hard way by getting a team promoted twice and then decently established like Brighton is right now.

I also think that working with better players is very tempting for any ambitious coach. But maybe he feels there’s an apprenticeship to serve first re: all the off field stuff.

Taking a step back, the main thing we need is for the blueprint to be established and maybe a McKenna Mk II can pick up the reins. So, I’ll be much more relaxed if we can have a successful promotion season first.

The problem with a job like Brighton's is that they have essentially hit their Ceiling, if he went there all he could do is tread water to maintain their current position and try not to go on a downward spiral, which quite conceivably happen, it was only 6 months ago they were in a funk and fans were getting twitchy about Potter.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Its started on 09:18 - Sep 12 with 2698 viewsPhilTWTD

Its started on 06:56 - Sep 12 by SitfcB

There’s been no links.

Indeed, and I don't think it's even slightly probable that KMc is on their list of potential targets to replace Potter. Can you imagine them appointing a manager with so little experience from League One and it going wrong? The CEO's position would be untenable.

That isn't to say he isn't doing a great job here and might well be targeted by Premier League clubs in the future.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Its started on 09:24 - Sep 12 with 2641 viewsHighgateBlue

It really would be peak Banter Era if we lost him before the end of September in a season where we finally looked like getting promotion. And then replaced him with Warnock.

I'm confident it's not going to happen. I'm equally confident it will become more likely as time goes by, and Brighton, ultimately, will be just the sort of stepping stone that he will have earned if he carries on as he currently is.

I'm not expecting Sir Bob levels of achievement or longevity, but it would be great if he were really able to make a project out of us and take us to the Prem. We can but dream.
Login to get fewer ads

Its started on 09:28 - Sep 12 with 2604 viewsnoggin

There is no bigger job. Actually there is one but Charles bagged that gig.

Poll: If KM goes now, will you applaud him when he returns with his new club?

Is that article even accurate!? on 09:32 - Sep 12 with 2565 viewsunstableblue

“ McKenna left his role as first-team coach at Manchester United after Ralf Rangnick was hired to take over from the sacked Ole Gunnar Solskjaer for the rest of last season. The Northern Irishman wasn't out of work for long as League One side Ipswich quickly moved to make him their new manager.”

I thought we took him from Man U and they wanted him to stay?

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Its started on 09:44 - Sep 12 with 2467 viewsclive_baker

Its started on 09:18 - Sep 12 by PhilTWTD

Indeed, and I don't think it's even slightly probable that KMc is on their list of potential targets to replace Potter. Can you imagine them appointing a manager with so little experience from League One and it going wrong? The CEO's position would be untenable.

That isn't to say he isn't doing a great job here and might well be targeted by Premier League clubs in the future.

This post has been edited by an administrator

You might argue Potter was a bit of a punt for them. He obviously had more management experience, but the lions share of it was in Sweden and he had only been at Swansea for <1 year when Brighton poached him. KM is of course relatively unique in that while he doesn't have loads of #1 experience yet, he has a vast coaching CV owing to his circumstances, unlike most who retire at 30 odd and go into it. He's also operated at big clubs, which makes him, for me, more qualified to make that step than someone like a Bonner or Schumacher at this moment in time. Not that they're likely to be considered either, but just in terms of other L1 managers doing well who simply don't have that pedigree.

I do agree with you though, he won't go to Brighton on this occasion. I think the fact he's being linked, or perhaps 'spoken about' is a better way of putting it says a lot though, he's highly thought of for sure. What insulates us slightly is you would think he probably needs to demonstrate a promotion here before he's seriously considered a PL level, but by the time he's done, by definition we're in the Championship and we're on a stronger footing to keep him. If we stay in L1 it'll be harder to keep him happy, but equally he won't have got us up and that in itself will probably rule him out of anything too juicy anyway. As it stands right now I reckon there's a handful of clubs I would be worried about and they're largely to big but underperforming Championship clubs. If a Cardiff or Birmingham came sniffing etc.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Its started on 09:52 - Sep 12 with 2409 viewsSomethingBlue

Its started on 09:44 - Sep 12 by clive_baker

You might argue Potter was a bit of a punt for them. He obviously had more management experience, but the lions share of it was in Sweden and he had only been at Swansea for <1 year when Brighton poached him. KM is of course relatively unique in that while he doesn't have loads of #1 experience yet, he has a vast coaching CV owing to his circumstances, unlike most who retire at 30 odd and go into it. He's also operated at big clubs, which makes him, for me, more qualified to make that step than someone like a Bonner or Schumacher at this moment in time. Not that they're likely to be considered either, but just in terms of other L1 managers doing well who simply don't have that pedigree.

I do agree with you though, he won't go to Brighton on this occasion. I think the fact he's being linked, or perhaps 'spoken about' is a better way of putting it says a lot though, he's highly thought of for sure. What insulates us slightly is you would think he probably needs to demonstrate a promotion here before he's seriously considered a PL level, but by the time he's done, by definition we're in the Championship and we're on a stronger footing to keep him. If we stay in L1 it'll be harder to keep him happy, but equally he won't have got us up and that in itself will probably rule him out of anything too juicy anyway. As it stands right now I reckon there's a handful of clubs I would be worried about and they're largely to big but underperforming Championship clubs. If a Cardiff or Birmingham came sniffing etc.

Agree this particular vacancy comes too soon but, with the way people in football talk about him, we might well find a Prem club comes knocking sooner than we all expect. He's the real deal and many are aware of that.

Wouldn't worry about a Cardiff or Brum personally — they're big ships to turn around and the momentum is with us to be at least as good as both in 12 months' time.

(Edit/add — he won't go to Brighton but you could argue that his style would fit seamlessly into theirs ... big tactical flexibility, solid at the back, possession football, emphasis on the attacking midfielders/No10s and less on the centre forward — the way he has us playing is, actually, more like Brighton under Potter than virtually anyone else I can think of)
[Post edited 12 Sep 2022 9:56]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Its started on 10:00 - Sep 12 with 2324 viewsclive_baker

Its started on 09:52 - Sep 12 by SomethingBlue

Agree this particular vacancy comes too soon but, with the way people in football talk about him, we might well find a Prem club comes knocking sooner than we all expect. He's the real deal and many are aware of that.

Wouldn't worry about a Cardiff or Brum personally — they're big ships to turn around and the momentum is with us to be at least as good as both in 12 months' time.

(Edit/add — he won't go to Brighton but you could argue that his style would fit seamlessly into theirs ... big tactical flexibility, solid at the back, possession football, emphasis on the attacking midfielders/No10s and less on the centre forward — the way he has us playing is, actually, more like Brighton under Potter than virtually anyone else I can think of)
[Post edited 12 Sep 2022 9:56]

Don't disagree he's on the radar elsewhere, for sure. It's a pretty incestous industry and in the grand scheme of things there aren't a huge amount of young British managers as exciting as KM. Certainly not ones with his coaching background either and the CV he has to date.

If someone offered me that he gets us up, gives us a solid base in the Championship and got poached this time next year I would of course be bitterly disappointed but he'll have made a great contribution here in a short time. We really need to get out of this league and he's the man to do it.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Is that article even accurate!? on 11:00 - Sep 12 with 2104 viewsPhilTWTD

Is that article even accurate!? on 09:32 - Sep 12 by unstableblue

“ McKenna left his role as first-team coach at Manchester United after Ralf Rangnick was hired to take over from the sacked Ole Gunnar Solskjaer for the rest of last season. The Northern Irishman wasn't out of work for long as League One side Ipswich quickly moved to make him their new manager.”

I thought we took him from Man U and they wanted him to stay?

You're right.
Its started on 11:09 - Sep 12 with 2023 viewsibbleobble

Its started on 09:03 - Sep 12 by hype313

The problem with a job like Brighton's is that they have essentially hit their Ceiling, if he went there all he could do is tread water to maintain their current position and try not to go on a downward spiral, which quite conceivably happen, it was only 6 months ago they were in a funk and fans were getting twitchy about Potter.

…but it’s infinitely better than ours and maybe a position we’ll never see the like of in decades if ever at all.
Its started on 11:13 - Sep 12 with 1996 viewshype313

Its started on 11:09 - Sep 12 by ibbleobble

…but it’s infinitely better than ours and maybe a position we’ll never see the like of in decades if ever at all.

Right now they are, but not sure McKenna is the type of guy that takes short term views, especially in this profession.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Its started on 11:17 - Sep 12 with 1962 viewsWeWereZombies

Its started on 11:09 - Sep 12 by ibbleobble

Although I would expect Thomas Frank, if he continues as he has done, to be in a similar position in a year or two that Graham Potter has found himself in. Which would leave a vacancy at Brentford that could be seen as similar to the Brighton one at present.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Its started on 11:19 - Sep 12 with 1952 viewstractordownsouth

Its started on 09:44 - Sep 12 by clive_baker

If he got a Premier League offer he'd go but from the Championship, there aren't too many teams who would worry me in that respect. Probably only Burnley, Watford, West Brom and Sheff Utd could offer him the financial advantage he enjoys in the Championship with a realistic shot at promotion. There would be no point in going somewhere like Millwall or Luton where they've probably reached their ceiling already.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Is that article even accurate!? on 11:27 - Sep 12 with 1894 viewsunstableblue

Is that article even accurate!? on 11:00 - Sep 12 by PhilTWTD

You're right.

I feel validated

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Its started on 11:43 - Sep 12 with 1812 viewsRobTheMonk

Back to back promotions with Mckenna at the helm. Let's f'in go!
Its started on 12:12 - Sep 12 with 1712 viewsIllinoisblue

Its started on 09:24 - Sep 12 by HighgateBlue

It really would be peak Banter Era if we lost him before the end of September in a season where we finally looked like getting promotion. And then replaced him with Warnock.

I'm confident it's not going to happen. I'm equally confident it will become more likely as time goes by, and Brighton, ultimately, will be just the sort of stepping stone that he will have earned if he carries on as he currently is.

I'm not expecting Sir Bob levels of achievement or longevity, but it would be great if he were really able to make a project out of us and take us to the Prem. We can but dream.

And then we draw Brighton at home in the FA Cup and their fans hoist up a banner in the away end…

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Its started on 12:14 - Sep 12 with 1694 viewsjeera

Its started on 12:12 - Sep 12 by Illinoisblue

And then we draw Brighton at home in the FA Cup and their fans hoist up a banner in the away end…

'There are some things money can't buy

Football managers isn't one of them!'

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Its started on 12:15 - Sep 12 with 1673 viewsitfcjoe

Its started on 10:00 - Sep 12 by clive_baker

Don't disagree he's on the radar elsewhere, for sure. It's a pretty incestous industry and in the grand scheme of things there aren't a huge amount of young British managers as exciting as KM. Certainly not ones with his coaching background either and the CV he has to date.

If someone offered me that he gets us up, gives us a solid base in the Championship and got poached this time next year I would of course be bitterly disappointed but he'll have made a great contribution here in a short time. We really need to get out of this league and he's the man to do it.

Then just get Neil Wood down from Salford who will be doing the same there, playing basically exactly the same style football as us

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Its started on 12:17 - Sep 12 with 1630 viewsCrayonKing

I'm not too worried about Brighton, despite him being a great fit for them. Top-half prem team last year and started this season fantastically, so they probably can probably aim much higher. But I am a bit worried about Bournemouth, and poss Brentford or Southampton if Brighton go for Frank or Hassenhuttl. Or possibly Middlesborough if Wilder goes to Bournemouth, as has been rumoured.

It's nice to be in a position where we finally have a manager who's on the up, but every time the managerial merry-go-round starts up again I'll be getting a little nervous!
Its started on 12:19 - Sep 12 with 1617 viewsDyland

Its started on 12:14 - Sep 12 by jeera

'There are some things money can't buy

Football managers isn't one of them!'

There are no things that no money cannot buy. Football managers are not.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024