Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male 22:06 - Sep 25 with 3908 viewshave_a_word_with_him

Nothing at all to do with being a terrible pundit Mark? The reverse race card rarely looks good.

https://uk.yahoo.com/sports/news/mark-lawrenson-axed-bbc-being-211853488.html
Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 11:43 - Sep 26 with 757 viewsDarkHorse

He's a boring, relentlessly miserable pr!ck who was phoning it in for years. Sounded like he was doing people a favour just by turning up, and never did any research on the teams he was commentating on. D!ckhead.

Brazil WC was the worst. You could tell Lineker, Hansen and Shearer were absolutely loving it and Lawro sounded like he wanted to kill himself.
Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 12:24 - Sep 26 with 703 viewsitfcjoe

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 10:54 - Sep 26 by chicoazul

Have to weigh in here and defend my man. He wasn’t a terrible pundit he was a good one, funny and insightful. He was IMVHO let go because he had his time and rightfully so.

He became a caricature of himself, there's so much more knowledge available out there and it's not good enough turning on WC games when he's basically moaning the whole time it's a cr@p game, has done no research and adds absolutely nothing of value - he leaned into it way too hard
[Post edited 26 Sep 2022 12:25]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 12:30 - Sep 26 with 677 viewsDyland

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 10:54 - Sep 26 by chicoazul

Have to weigh in here and defend my man. He wasn’t a terrible pundit he was a good one, funny and insightful. He was IMVHO let go because he had his time and rightfully so.

lol

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 12:30 - Sep 26 with 674 viewsJ2BLUE

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 10:58 - Sep 26 by TRUE_BLUE123

Are Scott and Richards good though? I'm not sure, I too am glad to see the back of those names you mention, but there is such a lack of quality in punditry.

In my opinion they are. Depends what you want. I am not interested in the very basic analysis most pundits come out with. Different story when it's a Neville or Carragher and genuinely insightful but give the choice of Shearer who literally just repeats what you are watching and Scott/Richards who provide some entertainment value i'd much rather go with them.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 12:34 - Sep 26 with 670 viewsbungaytractor

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 12:30 - Sep 26 by J2BLUE

In my opinion they are. Depends what you want. I am not interested in the very basic analysis most pundits come out with. Different story when it's a Neville or Carragher and genuinely insightful but give the choice of Shearer who literally just repeats what you are watching and Scott/Richards who provide some entertainment value i'd much rather go with them.

All shearer says is i would have scored that ....well obviously record goal scorer in prem!
I liked george edmondson on the radio last year he was good bit different
Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 12:37 - Sep 26 with 666 viewsDyland

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 12:30 - Sep 26 by J2BLUE

Agree with this. I really like Richards. Not so much Scott but she's becoming a decent anchor.

Linekar is a very good anchor, not sure it's worth the cash though but that's another story.

Crooks is and always has been absolutely awful.

Shearer has got better since his outrageous comment years back as pundit on an England v Ukraine game when he said he knew about Shevchenko cos he played at Chelsea but 'obviously nothing about the others'. His producer presumably had a word with him about that, like you know you're paid very well and you need to research stuff not just turn up and shoot from the hip.

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 12:37 - Sep 26 with 662 viewsArnoldMoorhen

I think it is fair to say that I have gained more insight in one match of Ian Westlake's commentary on iFollow than in the whole of Lawrenson's career.

Robbie Savage to never, ever be allowed near a camera or microphone next, please.
Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 12:39 - Sep 26 with 653 viewsDyland

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 12:37 - Sep 26 by ArnoldMoorhen

I think it is fair to say that I have gained more insight in one match of Ian Westlake's commentary on iFollow than in the whole of Lawrenson's career.

Robbie Savage to never, ever be allowed near a camera or microphone next, please.

Indeed. Savage is fine being a sh1tstirrer with Sutton but is an awful pundit.

Westlake is a top summariser and pundit, love listening to him on Town games.

Login to get fewer ads

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 12:50 - Sep 26 with 616 viewsRadlett_blue

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 11:41 - Sep 26 by bungaytractor

When i think of match of the day i still think of jimmy hill the absolute best imo
As you say its never nice to say good bye but we have to move with the times

Jimmy Hill was at first a knowledgeable, insightful pundit who would challenge the status quo. As he aged, he became pompous & reactionary & increasingly eccentric. Pundits usually need to be moved on, as do commentators e.g. Martin Tyler, who used to be very good but now, aged 77 , is poor.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 12:54 - Sep 26 with 616 viewsStewart27

I’d agree with the 65 year old comment.

His views were archaic and he has absolutely no place in football in 2022.

More than this though he was absolutely awful. One of the worst ever. Him just moaning like a petulant little child during a game was an absolute disgrace to the licence payer. He should have been axed by the BBC just after he begun.
Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 12:56 - Sep 26 with 606 viewsjayessess

What's wrong with retiring gracefully and giving someone else a go?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 12:59 - Sep 26 with 605 viewsRadlett_blue

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 12:54 - Sep 26 by Stewart27

I’d agree with the 65 year old comment.

His views were archaic and he has absolutely no place in football in 2022.

More than this though he was absolutely awful. One of the worst ever. Him just moaning like a petulant little child during a game was an absolute disgrace to the licence payer. He should have been axed by the BBC just after he begun.

I do remember Lawrenson as a co-commentator at the Town v Southampton FA Cup replay in 2015 & he spent the entire 90 minutes droning on about how bad Town were. It was as if all he ever watched was the Premier League.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 13:06 - Sep 26 with 592 viewsThatMuhrenCross

The white male part of it has absolutely nothing to do with his axing.

However, the 65-year-old partly does because he's a dinosaur stuck in the 80s that was increasingly looking out of touch with the modern game.

Poll: Ipswich offer you 10k a week, Norwich offer you 20k. Who do you join?
Blog: The Cashless Debate

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 13:33 - Sep 26 with 573 viewsBlueBadger

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 13:06 - Sep 26 by ThatMuhrenCross

The white male part of it has absolutely nothing to do with his axing.

However, the 65-year-old partly does because he's a dinosaur stuck in the 80s that was increasingly looking out of touch with the modern game.

The 'white male' bit of it might have been why he was allowed to coast for year in autopilot, though...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 13:55 - Sep 26 with 536 viewsStewart27

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 12:59 - Sep 26 by Radlett_blue

I do remember Lawrenson as a co-commentator at the Town v Southampton FA Cup replay in 2015 & he spent the entire 90 minutes droning on about how bad Town were. It was as if all he ever watched was the Premier League.

That was an absolute disgrace that night.

Southampton were decent at the time. Town were by no means world beaters but we completely nullified them. It was a pretty poor game but you’d think Southampton were the Ajax of the 70s and Town were the Wimbledon of the 90s in the eyes of Dinosaur.

Honestly he stole a living that bloke. He had zero football insight.

Much like Roy Keane now, but at least Keane is funny.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2022 13:56]
Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 18:57 - Sep 26 with 456 viewsN2_Blue

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 22:56 - Sep 25 by J2BLUE

He was an awful commentator. Especially for England matches where he spent 90 minutes sneering at any teams who went top 10 in the world.

Danny Murphy is a crap tribute act and is another one that needs to be binned off.

What's wrong with Danny Murphy??
I think he's very good, one of the better ones of former players. very insightful and good meaningful analysis rather than soundbites and cliches. I quite enjoy him.

For those who have mentioned Garth Crooks, quite possibly the worst football pundit about. Anything I hear him on, i.e. final score and I have to turn it off immediately.

Decent player, but cannot stand his personality or the utter tripe that he comes out with.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024