Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 14:23 - Dec 15 with 3080 viewssolemio

It must surely be time for the annual discussion concerning Yorkshire Pudding with Christmas dinner.

Knowledgeable sophisticates understand that it should only be on Christmas plates if you are having beef - not a common choice on 25/12. Never with turkey , goose or any other meat.

Modesty forbids that I should mention any 'knowledgeable sophisticates' by name.
Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 14:25 - Dec 15 with 1924 viewshoppy

I would say no, personally if deciding beforehand. However, if it was put in front of me as an option to include on my plate, I probably would partake.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 14:26 - Dec 15 with 1914 viewshomer_123

No discussion, yes.

The Yorkie Pud has been adopted as a fairly regular staple with most meats these days.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

I agree, and.... on 14:30 - Dec 15 with 1899 viewsBloots

....I'm bleedin' soffistickated.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 14:32 - Dec 15 with 1887 viewsclive_baker

Yes. Absolutely. Why apply such an arbitrary constraint and deny yourself of something so wonderful?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 14:32 - Dec 15 with 1890 viewsSitfcB

Yorkshires can go with anything.

I’m sure I posted on here before that a cooked a pizza and I chucked some Yorkshires in at the same time as a little starter.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 14:36 - Dec 15 with 1875 viewsChurchman

Yorkshire pudding with Xmas dinner is a must. In fact, any roast dinner.

I’m repeating myself a bit, but my grandmother always served it before the main course in a dirty great tray with rich onion gravy. It was wonderful. Don’t suppose people do that now.
Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 15:06 - Dec 15 with 1820 viewsDJR

Not for me as it seems to me to be empty calories and have no real goodness in it. On the other hand, I love pancakes which (apart from sugar) are made with the same ingredients.
Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 15:09 - Dec 15 with 1813 viewsLord_Lucan

No way baby, they fill too much of the plate up. Mind you, if having beef then I think it is a possibility.

If having turkey then a bit of suet pudding perhaps - with a sprinkling of curry powder.

Edit - I think you mean batter puddings
[Post edited 15 Dec 2022 15:12]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Login to get fewer ads

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 15:10 - Dec 15 with 1809 viewsGeoffSentence

Yes indeedy, Yorkshire puddings go with anything that has gravy and many a thing that does not.

I will also go out on a limb and say that Horse Radish makes everything better as well, so I will be having some with my turkey and the purists can do one.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 15:12 - Dec 15 with 1801 viewsGeoffSentence

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 15:06 - Dec 15 by DJR

Not for me as it seems to me to be empty calories and have no real goodness in it. On the other hand, I love pancakes which (apart from sugar) are made with the same ingredients.

It's Christmas, if there's one day to put concerns about health and nutrition to one side, it is 25th December.

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 15:19 - Dec 15 with 1783 viewsEdwardStone

How about the unstoppable rise of the Cardboard Yorkshire Pudding?

There is even a mega size one just creeping onto pub plates in these parts; supersize, looks supertasty and yet is the same dry, bland fibre of the more normal size.

I take mine home as use them as loft insulation..... and even the rats don't chew on them like they used to eat the Rockwool.

Anyone know of a decent boozer where they actually make their own Yorkies, as opposed to buying-in ?

See also..... Cardboard Roast Potatoes
[Post edited 15 Dec 2022 19:44]
Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 15:19 - Dec 15 with 1783 viewshype313

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 15:12 - Dec 15 by GeoffSentence

It's Christmas, if there's one day to put concerns about health and nutrition to one side, it is 25th December.

Was going to say, the last thing I'm thinking about on Christmas day is what constitutes empty calories.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 15:25 - Dec 15 with 1750 viewsDJR

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 15:12 - Dec 15 by GeoffSentence

That's fair enough, but I'm not that fussed on the salty taste of Yorkshire puddings, and would prefer a few more roast potatoes in their place.
Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 15:27 - Dec 15 with 1747 viewshatch

Mrs Hatch will come in from work and stick a few Aunt Bessies in the oven then dip them in some Bisto. In August.

That's sophistication.
Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 15:28 - Dec 15 with 1742 viewsGeoffSentence

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 15:25 - Dec 15 by DJR

That's fair enough, but I'm not that fussed on the salty taste of Yorkshire puddings, and would prefer a few more roast potatoes in their place.

There's always room for more roasties, pile them up on top of the Yorkshire Pud

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 15:32 - Dec 15 with 1725 viewsLakenheath_Blue

I usually save the Yorkshire pudding to last, to soak up the gravy.

My computer could be more encouraging. You know, instead of "invalid password", why not something like, "Ooooh, you're so close!"? - Lisa Porter

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 15:52 - Dec 15 with 1687 viewsLord_Lucan

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 15:19 - Dec 15 by EdwardStone

How about the unstoppable rise of the Cardboard Yorkshire Pudding?

There is even a mega size one just creeping onto pub plates in these parts; supersize, looks supertasty and yet is the same dry, bland fibre of the more normal size.

I take mine home as use them as loft insulation..... and even the rats don't chew on them like they used to eat the Rockwool.

Anyone know of a decent boozer where they actually make their own Yorkies, as opposed to buying-in ?

See also..... Cardboard Roast Potatoes
[Post edited 15 Dec 2022 19:44]

My grandad used to have a huge batter pudding as a starter and anyone who was at the table - including adults - had to wait until he finished it before anyone else could be served their food.

I guess it was a traditional thing where the silverback of the family ate first.

Thinking about it, I might suggest to family Lucan that we follow this tradition. I will raise it at our next COBRA meeting.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 15:58 - Dec 15 with 1679 viewsGeoffSentence

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 15:52 - Dec 15 by Lord_Lucan

My grandad used to have a huge batter pudding as a starter and anyone who was at the table - including adults - had to wait until he finished it before anyone else could be served their food.

I guess it was a traditional thing where the silverback of the family ate first.

Thinking about it, I might suggest to family Lucan that we follow this tradition. I will raise it at our next COBRA meeting.

That's how my grandmother used to do it.

Yorkshire pudding with gravy to start with.

I think it was to fill them up before the more expensive stuff was server, but had the bonus f being delicious.

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 16:09 - Dec 15 with 1657 viewsIllinoisblue

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 15:27 - Dec 15 by hatch

Mrs Hatch will come in from work and stick a few Aunt Bessies in the oven then dip them in some Bisto. In August.

That's sophistication.

She’s a keeper

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

No way on 16:12 - Dec 15 with 1654 viewsDyland

Turkey, gravy, bread sauce, red cabbage, sprouts n chestnuts, roasties, pigs in blankets, one or two stuffings, er and maybe a slice of ham if you missed brekkie.

Saying that, if someone else is cooking and doing yorkshires then I won't complain as I trough two or three :)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 16:20 - Dec 15 with 1636 viewsDJR

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 15:28 - Dec 15 by GeoffSentence

There's always room for more roasties, pile them up on top of the Yorkshire Pud

Maybe I'll give a go this Christmas. I don't at the Toby Carvery because I don't opt for the large plate.
Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 16:28 - Dec 15 with 1622 viewsKeno

Maybe try the single serving toad in the hole

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 16:36 - Dec 15 with 1587 viewsWeWereZombies

As ever the forum pariah on this, by all means serve Yorkshire/batter puddings but never put gravy over them before serving - there are these things called gravy boats that should always be present on the Christmas dinner table and their use permits an individual to put as much or as little gravy (or no gravy at all) on top of the puddings.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2022 16:44]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

No way on 16:40 - Dec 15 with 1571 viewshype313

No way on 16:12 - Dec 15 by Dyland

Turkey, gravy, bread sauce, red cabbage, sprouts n chestnuts, roasties, pigs in blankets, one or two stuffings, er and maybe a slice of ham if you missed brekkie.

Saying that, if someone else is cooking and doing yorkshires then I won't complain as I trough two or three :)

Protein heavy, no veg!

Although, that does look effing good!

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 16:42 - Dec 15 with 1560 viewsMullet

Absolute bobbins that.

Batter puddings go with anything roasted, given some of the nonsense people scoff on Christmas day then they're fine.

Besides if you're actually applying the rules, then you should only have them as a starter before consuming your beef feast.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024