Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sitting with the home fans at an away game 14:15 - Jan 11 with 10720 viewsTractorgirlforever

Has anybody ever bought tickets for an away game but had to get the tickets with the home fans as there were no away tickets left?. Has there ever been trouble or do you just have to keep very quiet!
Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 19:30 - Jan 11 with 2177 viewsCrawfordsboot

Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 14:54 - Jan 11 by textbackup

Few irons placed in the fire ready for games that this might be needed nearer the end of the season.

And I’d stand in silence, clap if ‘home’ team score, and if we were to score I’d probably shout ‘fcksake’ in joy… the locals would never know…

Sat in with the Port Vale fans earlier this season. Real old school football ground. Chatted with a number of their fans as we queued for a pie and drink at half time. Very friendly folk and not a hint of trouble. They thought we were good and kept asking whether I thought they were good enough to stay in the division.
Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 19:36 - Jan 11 with 2153 viewsITFC_Forever

A few times….

Norwich, Tottenham, Forest I was with a fan of the home side. And we lost all of them without barely laying a glove on the opposition. Got more sympathy of the home fans than anything, other than Norwich where I just kept quiet.

Also Gillingham away in the early 00’s, we sat in the Upper Tier near the away fans, and as we went on to win comfortably, it became obvious there were more more Town fans than Gills in our block.
That said, the lower tier was infested with Stone Island wannabes, so we were glad we went for the upper tier.

Also done a couple of corporate away games in the home corporate area, Birmingham, Brighton (last game of 2005 season when we could have gone up) and Stoke - our company sponsored the match so I got in the pitch for the pre-match photo with the ref and captains and had to present the MOTM to Liam Lawrence who won the game with a long-ranger into the top corner.
As long as you keep quiet, you’re fine.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 19:38 - Jan 11 with 2151 viewsnshearman1

Sat in with Oxford fans last year. A horrible ground to get to, buses out from the station take ages, car parking takes ages to get away. Had to keep dead quiet, they were screaming that Burns was diving constantly when in fact he was being kicked all over the place, clearly targeted. Overall, they were fairly friendly though. Historically, I missed the FA Cup win in '78 as I was in the US on a scholarship, got back and bought by first ever Wembley tickets for me and my girlfriend at the Charity Shield match v Forest, only to find we were in the Forest end! Fairly aggressive fans at that time, made worse by Town losing 5-0. Couldn't speak to my girlfriend all the way home, shockingly she is still my wife...
Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 19:43 - Jan 11 with 2138 viewsITFC_Forever

Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 16:09 - Jan 11 by tractorshark

Did it at Wimbledon last season. All good and managed to get pix of my son with the Ipswich players as they came off at the end.

Biggest problem is buying tickets when we’re the opposition. The home clubs are well aware our fanbase will try to buy tickets in the home ends.
If you haven’t got a purchase history, a lot of clubs let you buy them, then cross ref with our database and refund the tickets if they think you’re an Ipswich fan.
People think it’s done on postcodes (and that clearly is a giveaway) but it’s not. They’re looking for purchase history.

Must make it harder nowadays if you’re a neutral wanting to complete the 92. You must have to pick games that no one wants to see.

We’re trying to finish the 92 now, so far this season we’ve been to Sutton, Mansfield and Crawley as neutrals with no problem at all.

Sutton and Crawley we just paid on the day, Mansfield we bought tickets in advance, but as they were playing Col U, we got our mate in the Midlands to buy the tickets.

Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 20:35 - Jan 11 with 2088 viewsLord_Lucan

Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 18:48 - Jan 11 by textbackup

Me and mate were in the side stand that day, his uncles mates were all Chelsea ST holders and not using the tickets so we sat in there.

Spoke with this absolute lump at half time, old school Chelsea, thankfully we were about 4-0 down and he had no issue us being there 😂

Was it the same game? I thought the goal we went up for was an equaliser.

Funniest thing - just for a bit of devilment there was a women next to me and she was going batsh1t crazy, foaming at the mouth - “How dare you fecking come in here” so I calmly replied, “ Calm down luv, it’s only Chelsea, we wouldn’t have the bottle to do it at West Ham or Tottenham.

Bumped into Willett and his merry men somewhere in London later that night, he was e’d up.

Cracking day.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 20:40 - Jan 11 with 2080 viewsPhilTWTD

I once sat with the away fans at a home game. Blackburn in the FA Cup in 1996, they sold few tickets and there was little concern over trouble between the clubs, so with the rest of the ground sold out, Town fans were sold tickets in the away section alongside Blackburn supporters.
Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 20:43 - Jan 11 with 2061 viewsGlasgowBlue

I was at Old Trafford in the away end in 2001 when we lost 4-0. Every time they scored I was getting back slapped as they thought I was a Man U fan. Kept my gob shut but didn't join any pretend celebrations.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2023 20:43]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 20:48 - Jan 11 with 2048 viewsLord_Lucan

Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 20:40 - Jan 11 by PhilTWTD

I once sat with the away fans at a home game. Blackburn in the FA Cup in 1996, they sold few tickets and there was little concern over trouble between the clubs, so with the rest of the ground sold out, Town fans were sold tickets in the away section alongside Blackburn supporters.

For the Torpedo Moscow home game they sold my season ticket seats (not in a Millwall HOF thread type of way) and for some reason me and RKD got sold tickets with the Ruskies. Maybe it was a sell out, can’t remember.

Anyhoo - they were all huge lumps and on occasion got a bit “Handy” with the stewards. Every time they did so another load stood up and starting videoing it - I think this was probably before video phones?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Login to get fewer ads

When Man Utd battered us at OT.... on 20:53 - Jan 11 with 2016 viewsBloots

....I reckon about 25% of our section was made up of home fans.

I remember chatting to one of them when I was leaving the ground for the first time (I left 3 times in total) and he said that buying tickets in the away section was the only way they could get to see Utd.

Simpler times.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 20:53 - Jan 11 with 2013 viewsPhilTWTD

Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 20:48 - Jan 11 by Lord_Lucan

For the Torpedo Moscow home game they sold my season ticket seats (not in a Millwall HOF thread type of way) and for some reason me and RKD got sold tickets with the Ruskies. Maybe it was a sell out, can’t remember.

Anyhoo - they were all huge lumps and on occasion got a bit “Handy” with the stewards. Every time they did so another load stood up and starting videoing it - I think this was probably before video phones?

Think it was at the time the ground was being redeveloped so the capacity was very much reduced. I suspect the ticket office couldn't find you seats anywhere else!
Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 20:56 - Jan 11 with 2005 viewsSharkey

Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 19:38 - Jan 11 by nshearman1

Sat in with Oxford fans last year. A horrible ground to get to, buses out from the station take ages, car parking takes ages to get away. Had to keep dead quiet, they were screaming that Burns was diving constantly when in fact he was being kicked all over the place, clearly targeted. Overall, they were fairly friendly though. Historically, I missed the FA Cup win in '78 as I was in the US on a scholarship, got back and bought by first ever Wembley tickets for me and my girlfriend at the Charity Shield match v Forest, only to find we were in the Forest end! Fairly aggressive fans at that time, made worse by Town losing 5-0. Couldn't speak to my girlfriend all the way home, shockingly she is still my wife...

I still don't understand why Town were quite so awful that day. At the time I think there was talk of injuries, but looking at the XI now only Parkin was not a regular starter. Perhaps a front four of Gates, Whymark, Mariner and Woods was a bit over -attacking.
Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 21:12 - Jan 11 with 1988 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I have done a few times and, as appears to be said here just need to be sensible.

I can recall a lad sitting right in front of me in with the Town fans at a West Ham play off semi-final who celebrated when they scored. When Kuqi made it 2-2 I jumped up and rubbed his head. It was all reasonable enough.

On Ian Marshall's debut, there was a Town fan in a Fisons top in with the home fans right near us.

I also recall watching a beam-back from Portman Road in a lounge at Carrow Road. Probably was good we didn't score in that one as I would probably have been lynched.

The most bizarre one I recall was in Liberec. We got tickets through the club but somehow ended up sat in with locals. The chap behind us kept chanting "Liber-Liber-Liberec!" So I started chanting "Ipper-Ipper-Ipperswich!" It was all good humoured but at half time, as the riot police assembled, we decided it would be wisest to move and get in with the Town fans.

99% of all fans will give you no trouble but it is worth being careful in case of that 1%.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 21:17 - Jan 11 with 1980 viewsbrogansnose

Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 14:39 - Jan 11 by BLUEBEAT

Think there will plenty of Ipswich fans dotted around the Abbey (or whatever it’s called these days) on 4th Feb!

Somewhat tongue in cheek, it's called the Wembley of the Fens.
Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 21:31 - Jan 11 with 1944 viewsgazzer1999

Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 15:22 - Jan 11 by Lord_Lucan

Back in the day (around 1980 / 81) about 30 of us went in River End and we all got kicked out. We got marched along the touchline and my mate Abdul tackled Clive Woods who was playing for Norwich by then.

Edit - did it also circa mid to late 80's a couple of times - on one occasion I was with the late great Steven Edwards (AKA Steamer) and I admit we almost got into a proper pickle and had to jump over the wall sharpish.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2023 15:25]

I was in the river end that day, managed to stay and not get marched to the Barclay end. Went to nodge a week or so before when budgies were playing Man City to buy my ticket for that game. It was just before we played city at villa park in the fa cup.
Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 21:37 - Jan 11 with 1936 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I can recall a Boxing Day game against Blackburn must have been around then (maybe a few years earlier) and it was sold out on the day. I had travelled down to discover we couldn't get in and then realised we could watch the match through the window of the Centre Spot restaurant. Part way through someone realised we were doing so and adjusted the angle of the TV so we couldn't see it. We all hammered on the window and they turned it back again. I think Blackburn took the lead and a couple of their fans got ejected and came and stood with us. We won 2-1 and they were no trouble outside amongst us.

EDIT: I think this may have been the match. Not quite Boxing Day but the Bank Holiday from it. Was that the capacity at the time? https://www.premierleague.com/match/231
[Post edited 11 Jan 2023 21:41]

Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 22:04 - Jan 11 with 1874 viewsLord_Lucan

Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 21:31 - Jan 11 by gazzer1999

I was in the river end that day, managed to stay and not get marched to the Barclay end. Went to nodge a week or so before when budgies were playing Man City to buy my ticket for that game. It was just before we played city at villa park in the fa cup.

Yeah, that was the one. We fielded a depleted team.

We went in two mini buses.

After the game half wanted to go back and half wanted to stay in Norwich.

I think I was 15 at the time and I couldn’t be arsed anyway, and to be honest it was plain as day what was going to go down. So - the people who wanted to go went on the go minibus and the people who wanted to stay went on the stay minibus.

As I predicted the whole of the stay minibus got nicked for GBH (The victims weren’t even football fans) and they all got remanded and spent 6 months in Norwich before going to trial and getting released for serving their time.

Two of them were Kempy and Sladey who I can mention because they are now brown bread.

Fellow poster Bluebudgie was on the same van as me

Edit - they missed the EUFA cup final but celebrated in their cells.

I think Budgie was probably driving the go van because he’s a tight bastard and got a free pass for driving.

Bernie Patterson was inside at the time and promised a big straightener when they got put into the main - after remand- but they all got released so it never happened.

Ipswich rule that Nick anyway 😂👍🏻

TWTD 😂
[Post edited 11 Jan 2023 22:29]

Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 22:16 - Jan 11 with 1844 viewsPhilTWTD

Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 21:37 - Jan 11 by Nthsuffolkblue

I can recall a Boxing Day game against Blackburn must have been around then (maybe a few years earlier) and it was sold out on the day. I had travelled down to discover we couldn't get in and then realised we could watch the match through the window of the Centre Spot restaurant. Part way through someone realised we were doing so and adjusted the angle of the TV so we couldn't see it. We all hammered on the window and they turned it back again. I think Blackburn took the lead and a couple of their fans got ejected and came and stood with us. We won 2-1 and they were no trouble outside amongst us.

EDIT: I think this may have been the match. Not quite Boxing Day but the Bank Holiday from it. Was that the capacity at the time? https://www.premierleague.com/match/231
[Post edited 11 Jan 2023 21:41]

Bontcho's overhead kick in that match!
Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 22:24 - Jan 11 with 1806 viewsTresBonne

Doesn't really count, but I went up to Sheffield to see my sister the day that the budgies played United this season. Bugga.

Got on the train at Thetford and it was full of them, including by chance a few of my mates from across the border. The guys he was with weren't impressed when I sat down and told them my allegiance!

Ended up having a couple drinks with them on the train and talking football really. Even the ones who weren't with my mates were fine, just a bit of general footy bants, init.
Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 22:25 - Jan 11 with 1795 viewsITFC_Forever

Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 22:16 - Jan 11 by PhilTWTD

Or it could have been the 2-1 win in December 1991 when Dozzell scored a late winner?

Blackburn took the lead in that game as well.

Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 22:27 - Jan 11 with 1791 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 22:16 - Jan 11 by PhilTWTD

Not sure how well I can recall that. I guess seeing it on a small screen in the corner of a restaurant through a crowd of people from outside the ground wasn't the best way to see it!

Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 22:33 - Jan 11 with 1780 viewsmarchy

Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 14:54 - Jan 11 by Deano69

I attended a Watford game (by invitation of a friend who lives down that way) in with the home supporters. Couldn't help but slightly jump off my seat with a very muted celebration. Turned out there were 3 of us in the stand all fairly close to each other that sort of did the same. A knowing look was shared!

I wonder if there's any chance I was one of them, as the exact same thing happened to me there when Clapham scored an absolute rocket there in a 2-0 win about 20 years ago - involuntary fist pump and was promptly sternly told to shut the fck up by a couple of geezers next to me. Also did the same thing when we knocked Arsenal out of the Worthless Cup at Highbury with a last-minute winner around the same time, and if it wasn't for the fact I'd caught his young son when he slipped off the seat he was standing up on earlier in the game I think the gladiator next to me would have knocked me out...
Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 22:37 - Jan 11 with 1763 viewsgazzer1999

Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 22:04 - Jan 11 by Lord_Lucan

Yeah, that was the one. We fielded a depleted team.

We went in two mini buses.

After the game half wanted to go back and half wanted to stay in Norwich.

I think I was 15 at the time and I couldn’t be arsed anyway, and to be honest it was plain as day what was going to go down. So - the people who wanted to go went on the go minibus and the people who wanted to stay went on the stay minibus.

As I predicted the whole of the stay minibus got nicked for GBH (The victims weren’t even football fans) and they all got remanded and spent 6 months in Norwich before going to trial and getting released for serving their time.

Two of them were Kempy and Sladey who I can mention because they are now brown bread.

Fellow poster Bluebudgie was on the same van as me

Edit - they missed the EUFA cup final but celebrated in their cells.

I think Budgie was probably driving the go van because he’s a tight bastard and got a free pass for driving.

Bernie Patterson was inside at the time and promised a big straightener when they got put into the main - after remand- but they all got released so it never happened.

Ipswich rule that Nick anyway 😂👍🏻

TWTD 😂
[Post edited 11 Jan 2023 22:29]

Those Really Were The Days
Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 23:10 - Jan 11 with 1711 viewsLord_Lucan

Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 22:37 - Jan 11 by gazzer1999

Those Really Were The Days

All our tickets for the River End were bought by my best mate Abdul who lived in Norwich.

I’ll never forget as a youngster being extremely impressed as all the brothers were thanking him profusely and I sort of thought they were the most cool and dangerous men on the planet.

Fast forward about 5 years and we were in the same pub (Maid Marion) and it was all the same culprits - but with Canute Lee laying in the road causing a massive traffic jam. - as it happens this brilliantness continued and we ended up in a traffic jam down that road that should be pedestrianised but isn’t. We were in a traffic jam and the yellow van in front opened its doors and some northern people ((Sunderland) asked what was going on and we informed them that Ipswich were in town and it was a big game. They in turn couldn’t believe it as if similar had happened between Sunderland and Newcastle this situation wouldn’t have been able to happen - in fact I think they were so impressed they mentioned they would try and score some tickets for the game.

That was the Woolpack day - absolutely mental.

Delia Smith. Martin Fry, Ed Balls - your guys got one hell of a beating!

Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 23:32 - Jan 11 with 1687 viewsChurchman

I did that once too - the FA Cup 5th Round game in 1975. I’ve no idea why or how, but we sat where the away supporters sit to this day in the newly opened extension to the East (Portman, Cobbold) stand. It was weird and an experience not to be repeated thank goodness.
Sitting with the home fans at an away game on 00:39 - Jan 12 with 1659 viewsDeepBlueSea

I sat in the Upper Barclay (or perhaps the other end; it was the upper tier behind the goal at any rate, for the 2-1 loss in the mid 90's. The one where we got given a penalty towards the end which was then retracted by the ref. I can't seem to find it any match details anywhere, can anyone remember?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024